RU CCAT (STEP 4 - PLAYTESTING)

Hey guys, have you heard that two heads are better than one? If so, I think you'll accept that a WHOLE FORUM OF HEADS is better than one xD Intrigued? Great, now let's get started!

CCAT is a project where a forum builds a team together. This means there will be many steps and the community will decide what's best in each and every one of them.

And no, I didn't think about bringing this back from Generation 4, I saw Little Cup was doing one and thought it was a great idea for RarelyUsed too.

STEP 1: We choose the Pokemon around which we'll build the team. You can select any Pokemon legal in RU but make sure it is viable. You can also suggest the set for it. After we have 10 suggestions, we'll have a poll to choose the main Pokemon of our team!

STEP 2: We select the type of team we'll build aka Bulky Offense, Stall, Hyper Offense, etc.

STEP 3: We choose the teammates for the selected Pokemon based on the most voted type of team.

STEP 4: We test the team and write a RMT to show Smogon what RU really is!!!
So yeah guys, let's start this! Suggest one Pokemon and its set!

So far, this round of RU is mostly heavy offense. I've been using the following set with great success so far on the ladder:

Sceptile (M) @ Grass Gem
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Rock Slide
- Acrobatics

The moveset can obviously be tweaked a little, but this thing is an absolute monster. With proper team support it can easily sweep teams as no one prepares for it.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Suggesting Cryogonal

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Despite the SR weakness its actually a really good spinner and awesome (yes, spelled it right for once) special wall. Its excellent speed is great too if a weakened Claydol/Sanslash/etc are trying to last ditch spin on you, preventing that from happening. Also walls Hail hard, and Rain in large part.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Something to start off a team.. stall teams aren't so hot now, so something that fits into both Bulky / Heavy Offense:

Lilligant @ Leftovers
Chlorophyll
Timid, 92 HP / 224 SpA / 192 Spe
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Aromatherapy

Standard stuff, definitely well-prepared for, but gotta have some trusty standards on the poll, right?

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
This one's cool as hell:

Porygon-Z @

Adaptability | Timid (+ Spe, - Atk)
EVs: 252 SpA | 4 SpD | 252 Spe
  • Substitute
  • Nasty Plot
  • Tri Attack
  • Dark Pulse

It's able to hurt both stall, as a Nasty Plot boosted Tri Attack 2HKOs Munchlax, the most specially bulky Pokemon on stall after Stealth Rock damage, and offensive teams, thanks to Substitute, which is, IMO, very important in a Pokemon you want to build a team around. Normal - Dark coverage looks poor, but Porygon-Z is strong enough to muscle its away past most resists, such as Aggron, which has a x4 resist to Tri Attack, but still takes 48% - 56.6% from a boosted one.

I love this guy, suggusting him:
Entei @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Extrasensory
- Hidden Power [Grass]

This guy destroys anybody who is unprepared for it. Even hits those pesky fighting types hard. A Sub would be really useful for Entei to set up, but no matter what, especially with Entei's bulk, if you play it right your opponent is going to lose something.

Best troll ever but it actually works I swear:

Rotom-S @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 240 HP / 200 Def / 56 SDef / 12 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Discharge
- Air Slash
- Confuse Ray
- Pain Split

This thing can actually check Honchkrow pretty well. It resists Brave Bird, and is now neutral to Sucker Punch, courtesy of the ultimate Gamefreak troll, Electric-Flying + Levitate.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I'm suggesting the obvious to build a team around, but hey:

Medicham @ Choice Scarf
Jolly
Pure Win
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
-HJK
-Zen Butthead
-Rock Slide
-Ice Punch

It's pretty obvious why I would suggest Medicham for this project: with proper team support, Pure Power STAB HJKs will have everybody RUNNING IN TERROR. Furthermore, not only is he easy to use but he can wreck almost everybody with only two-three slots of dedicated support, leaving another two slots available to backup sweepers, something the above suggestions cannot do (except Lilligant but that hardly takes any skill to use whatsoever :P)

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Throwing my support behing Rotom or Entei, they should be the most interesting to build around. (And hell no @Medicham, that's private property ;)

I'd personally totally like to see Pearl's PZ as the centerpiece for such a team. Though I'm playing stall in near every team, that doesn't really make for a singular "mvp" poke more often than not :P The raw power produced by NP PZ is just awesome, he doesn't get nearly as much playtime as he deserves, and he can be well supported by various offensively oriented pokes that can allow for a team with a nice offensive build (assuming maybe Dugtrio or Magneton for trapping problematic Steels, but that can be determined at a later time).

Since Sableye is gone, maybe this thing can shine, finally:

Duosion @ Eviolite
Trait: Magic Guard

EV: 252 HP/ 252 DEF/ 4 SDEF | SPA

Calm Mind
Recover
HP Fight
Psyschock/ Psychic

It's a good idea to build a sort of stall team for this guys, since the hazards can really helps him to beat down the opponent.

It's like a RU Reuniclus, and he's awesome. I play him and he works very well even when sableye was around.

EDIT: The PZ set looks awesome too

Cofagrigus!

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Timid | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
-Trick Room
-Nasty Plot
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Fighting

Trick Room is an anti-meta strategy no matter where you look, and Desukaan has the defenses to work with it as well as the offense. I can see other potential teammates that are in RU as well, specifically Slowking and slow Gallade, etc.

Cofagrigus!

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Timid | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
-Trick Room
-Nasty Plot
-Shadow Ball
-Hidden Power Fighting

Trick Room is an anti-meta strategy no matter where you look, and Desukaan has the defenses to work with it as well as the offense. I can see other potential teammates that are in RU as well, specifically Slowking and slow Gallade, etc.
Timid?

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
I'm gonna suggest either:

Swellow (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 5 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Facade
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Quick Attack

Swellow still has the opportunity to wreck teams and is seriously underrated.

or:

Torterra (M) @ Leftovers/LO
Trait: Overgrow
- Rock Polish
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

This is a forgotten set that has the ability to run through a weakened team like nothing. And no one sees it coming.

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
OK, if we don't do SD Sceptile (which I do kind of support, since it's solidly anti meta, really good at cleaning up lategame, and in general is really fun to build teams around) then I think that we should try out this:

Slowking@Life Orb
Quiet | Regenerator
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

- Trick Room
- Psychic / Psystrike
- Surf
- Flamethrower / Nasty Plot

OTR Slowking is actually really really good. Trick Room is possibly the single most anti meta thing right now, in a metagame dominated heavily by fast and frail attackers, and Slowking's valuable resistances and ability allow it to fit onto teams with relative ease. In addition, most offense teams are really weak to it, and a ton of common teams are unprepared for repeated STAB Psychics, having removed their main resists upon the banning of Alakazam. Finally, I personally think that OTR Slowking would be really fun to build a team around, as there are tons of opportunities to attempt new and unexpected things in this growing and newly developing tier.

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Also I've used that P-Z set before and its amazing. Sweeps teams like no tomorrow and really messes with stall. P-Z's raw power is just devastating.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hmm, what about Gallade, seems like fun

[SET]

set name: Come at me bro
move1: Bulk up
move2: Substitute
move3: Drain Punch
move4: Stone Edge / Shadow Sneak
nature: Careful
evs: 240hp / 40atk / 216spdef / 12 spe

do you want to use bulk up gallade? but are afraid of status/very strong attackers. than Come at me Bro is the set for you, set up sub on status moves/ weaker special attacks and from there bulk up, sub when needed. Drain punch is a reliable STAB move that will help gallade with staying alive, Stone edge allows you to hit almost all the pokemon in the tier (bar claydol) neutrally, seems like something interesting to build a team around.

@ Amarillo, as a stallish player myself i can say that stall is still alive and well, dont discount it yet.

edit: whoops, max# of suggestions, if you want to consider it anyway, than okay.

Durant can definitely be pretty cool in this metagame:

Durant @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head / Baton Pass

Awesome defensive typing and solid physical bulk, great power and speed, Durant makes a great sweeper once certain checks and counters are removed, Qwilfish for one is really annoying. Iron Head gives another strong STAB while Baton Pass is a handy way to lure checks and counters, could be really neat alongside Dugtrio (or Wynaut for Scarfers).

I really like a lot of the suggestions –*Sceptile is definitely a menace, CM Entei is a beast, and Pory-Z looks really cool, great options to pick from.

Altaria @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpDef / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Despite that abysmal attack DDance Altaria is a very underestimated sweeper and works great. Perfect coverage (bar Shedinja but no one uses him anyway) as well as surprising power behind Altaria's attack makes him one hell of a Pokemon.

The following isn't really a suggestion but it'd be interesting to see a team built around Archaops as well...

OK, if we don't do SD Sceptile (which I do kind of support, since it's solidly anti meta, really good at cleaning up lategame, and in general is really fun to build teams around) then I think that we should try out this:

Slowking@Life Orb
Quiet | Regenerator
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

- Trick Room
- Psychic / Psystrike
- Surf
- Flamethrower / Nasty Plot

OTR Slowking is actually really really good. Trick Room is possibly the single most anti meta thing right now, in a metagame dominated heavily by fast and frail attackers, and Slowking's valuable resistances and ability allow it to fit onto teams with relative ease. In addition, most offense teams are really weak to it, and a ton of common teams are unprepared for repeated STAB Psychics, having removed their main resists upon the banning of Alakazam. Finally, I personally think that OTR Slowking would be really fun to build a team around, as there are tons of opportunities to attempt new and unexpected things in this growing and newly developing tier.
I've used TR Slowking, and on a few occasions it worked amazingly, on others it was mediocre. However, the team I used it on was merely for testing and wasn't really built around it. Personally I'd like to see how it would perform in a team that's made for it. If Slowking isn't selected, I feel Sceptile is the way to go.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb/Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
Nature: Jolly
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Dragon Dance

Never tried this set myself (will try it ASAP), but it looks really viable. Force something out, set up a DD or 2 (2 if the opponent tries to paralyse you) and sweep. The listed moves give a good coverage in the tier and definitely sweeps unprepared teams. Jolly nature for extra speed as you will need it.

Krookodile@Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EV's: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
Earthquake
Crunch
Stone Edge
Pursuit

This thing is IMO one of the, if not the best late-game sweeper in RU. Once ground/dark resists are gone, it's often good game. Pursuit can also be utilized early-game to make sweeps for Fighting types easier (Scarf Medicham, for example)

So far, this round of RU is mostly heavy offense. I've been using the following set with great success so far on the ladder:

Sceptile (M) @ Grass Gem
Trait: Unburden
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Rock Slide
- Acrobatics

The moveset can obviously be tweaked a little, but this thing is an absolute monster. With proper team support it can easily sweep teams as no one prepares for it.
Hey, you stole my Sceptile. Otherwise, agree with using that set.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Rhydon @ Life Orb
adamant / jolly
- sword dance
- rock polish
- stone edge
- eq
evs: 252 atk / 252 speed / 6 def

one of the most underrated physical sweepers in the tier. Tears through opponent's teams like knife through butter. Just as good as its evolved form so smd. Great typing allowing it to switch in on a lot of moves and use rock polish...

I'd like to suggest Braviary.

Briviary with Choice scarf
Nature Jolly
Ability Sheer Force
Moveset
-Bravebird
-Rock Slide
-Super Power
-U-turn
EV's 252 ATK 252 Speed 4HP

A Strong physical Attacker as well as a good scout and revenge killer. Highly underrated and definitely not used. (I only know myself and one other person who use it)

People need to know how useful it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)