Somewhere Only We Know (Peaked at #2)

Somewhere Only We Know​
Team Preview:

Introduction:​
Hey guys I’m Raseri and this is my first RMT. I’ve always been an offensive player and this team is no different, the objective is to use a combination of hazards and switch causing Pokemon to wear down opposing teams so one of my birds can break through and sweep. Rarelyused is my second favourite metagame this generation (Second to Little Cup) and I’ve been attempting to build a team to both define and destroy the metagame simultaneously. This team has undergone drastic changes as it has lost some of its effectiveness since the Yanmega ban. I peaked at #2 during the Yanmega metagame, under 10 points away from first place before a rough losing streak dropped me down to #15. I currently bounce around between 8th and 25th depending on my luck at the time. His team is very fun to use as it is an offense-leaning balance team. Thank you for reading and hopefully rating my team, any help is great!

The team started with these 2 bad boys, easily the best Pokemon in RU(Venemoth my ass). Speed Boost Life Orb Yanmega and Choice Scarf Moltres. Between the two of them alone I could destroy just about any team, only very smart players could weaken the two of them and break through the team. The biggest problem with these two is obvious. Stealth Rock. I needed to add a rapid spinner that had enough offensive presence and bulk to be relevant in the metagame. Thus Hitmonchan was added to the the team.​

What do both Yanmega and Moltres love? Entry Hazards. Spikes and my own Rocks would drop the number of viable switch ins to single digits. The best offensive spikers are Accelgor and Scolipede. Scolipede was chosen because he can set up Toxic Spikes against stall teams, as well as being able to 2HKO enemy Moltres, a huge threat to the team. Rhyperior was chosen to set up Rocks because of his huge defense and offensive power, breaking through problematic walls like Steelix with ease.​

The team was almost complete, all I needed was a ghost to stop opposing Rapid Spinners from getting rid of my precious hazards. The choice of ghost was very difficult, with Haunter, Rotom, Golurk and Misdreavus all being viable in the spot. I ultimately went with Sub Split Eviolite Haunter to help in my destruction of stall teams.​

This was the teams peak, hitting #2 on the ladder and destroying many of the top players with ease. Unfortunately Yanmega was banned and Rhyperior moved on to bigger and better things, so some of the team had to change. This was the most difficult decision I had to make with the team, as no Pokemon could replace the two I had so I had to change the teams route somewhat.​

Honchkrow and Uxie found their way onto the team, both capable of crippling teams and allowing Moltres to break through the final pieces. Unfortunately the large increase in Honchkrow rendered Haunter unusable, so Rotom replaced him because he can OHKO Honchkrow behind a sub.​

This is where the team currently stands, so now I’ll begin the real RMT and be much more indepth about each Pokemon’s role.​

The Support!

Scolipede (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Poison Point
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Rock Slide
- Megahorn

Role: Scolipede’s job is to lay down either Spikes or Toxic Spikes in the opening turn of the match in order to allow Honchkrow or Moltres to break through the opposing team. Focus Sash may seem weird this generation with the addition of team preview, but as 95% of the time Scolipede is the first Pokemon sent out, I don’t have to worry about it being broken prior to entrance. It also allows me to defeat enemy Moltres with Rock Slide, who can be very problematic if I don’t get it out of the way early. Poison Point is chosen over Swarm for hax, poisoning a sweeper who thinks it can get a free kill can greatly reduce its life span. I often sacrifice Scolipede at the beginning of the match to lay down as many entry hazards as possible, starting down 5-6 with hazards still puts me at an advantage.

Uxie @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Trick
TrickScarf Uxie is a very fun Pokemon this meta; I often cripple troubling walls like Slowking and Steelix(Who are both very threatening to the team) with a scard before setting Rocks up in their face. U-turn is obvious as it allows me to predict obvious switches to bring in a team member at no cost. The Evs may seem weird but the extra power is much more important than the bulk to this team, Psychic can 2-3HKO many Pokemon and with the natural bulk Uxie has it can often finish off weakened teams. Uxie is a replaceable Pokemon, so if someone knows something that can do this job better than Uxie then I will gladly consider it and test it.

Rotom @ Life Orb
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
- Pain Split

The best spin blocker in RU right now is Rotom. Pain split allows it to beat every common rapid spinner(Hitmonchan, Claydol, Kabutops, Cryogonal) One on one. The only spinner it struggles to beat is Cryogonal, but with a Special Defense drop or Paralysis, which will happen eventually it wins. While Pain Splitting after it recovers keeps Rotom healthy. Rotom is also very useful outside of Spin Blocking, as he can take out many annoying Pokemon such as Honchkrow or Durant, who could be difficult to switch into for my team. No other ghost is as offensive as Rotom so no other ghost can fulfill his role nearly as well as he can, though if good reasoning is given I will try a new one.

The God. The Phoenix. The Enemy.

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Pressure
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- U-turn

Moltres is the most devastating Pokemon in RU right now, there are no Pokemon that can switch in for free if I predict right. A Choice Scarf is chosen because Moltres is to slow to sweep without it, and it allows me to spam U-turn early in the match in order to figure out my opponents playstyle while racking up hazard damage. The STAB moves are obvious, as without them I would not be able to break though anything. HP Grass is for the Pokemon that resist my stabs, such as Kabutops and Rhydon, as very few switch out of such “great set up bait” Unfortunately Moltres is completely crippled my Stealth Rock, so keeping it off the field is dire to my teams success.

The Spinner

Hitmonchan (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Punch
Hitmonchan has one purpose, keep rocks off the field. He is incapable of doing much else for the team. Uninvested Close Combat is laughably weak, its only ever used against weakened steels to finish them off. Mach Punch is even more pathetic, only seeing use to finish off nearly dead sweepers. And Ice Punch is only so I can do something to Ghosts, because I do not want them switching in for free. Please help me make Hitmonchan better, he is dead weight as soon as Rocks are gone and I know this slot can be filled by something else, I just don’t know what.

The Finale

Honchkrow (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Roost
Honchkrow has grown on me a lot since adding him to the team, MoxieKrow can defeat half of a team by itself with very little support. Brave Bird is Krows most powerful attack, its not spammable however because the recoil combined with Life Orb causes Krow to die way to quickly. Roost may seem like a weird option on a sweeper but it allows me to use Claydol and Slowking to heal myself to continue the sweep. I’ve often considered switching Pursuit to a Hidden Power but have not done so yet. Pursuit was on this team to catch people expecting a Sucker Punch off guard, though it has not been as effective as I have hoped. BTW, a +1 Sucker Punch rapes everything. Honchkrow is a boss and I’ll never make a team without it now.

Threats:

Honchkrow - Nothing can reliably switch in, if it has Moxie I'm forced to outpredict with Rotom to have a chance. A huge threat

Steelix - Can set up Stealth Rock and fire Gyro Balls against most of my team, versions with Stone Edge force me to Trick a Scarf onto it to stand a chance

Slowking - Not as threatening as the above two, but he can come in on Moltres and fire off attacks to damage my whole team.

Closing Comments:
Thank you so much for reading this, if you have any questions feel free to contact me, and I'll answer them.

So, looking at your team, i thought that maybe you could use claydol as your spinner. It can serve the purpose of both uxie and hitmonchan. it can have trick, stealth rock, rapid spin, and some random attacking move. Now that sableye is gone it doesnt have to worry nearly as much about getting taunted. this would also free up another spot on your team for another sweeper such as liligant, kabutops, or accelgor. or another support pokemon if you feel like it. Anyways, i really like your team, and I am currently trying to make a team similar to it.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Replace Hitmonchan (and maybe Uxie) with Claydol.

Claydol isn't as bulky as Uxie is, so he might not be the best at Trick Scarfing. However, he is defiantly a better Rapid Spinner than Hitmonchan, considering Chan can't do much. I would recommend one of the following set if you do use Claydol (you might need to change it to your needs)

Pure Rapid Spin
Claydol @ Leftovers
EVS: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Earthpower
- Toxic

I don't like him as a spinner, but he IS more useful than Hitmonchan IMO.

TrickScarf Rapid Spin Claydol
Claydol @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Trick
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic / Earthquake

Just mimicked the EVs/Natures except with Atk as opposed to SAtk.

Hitmonchan isn't really made for spinning in my opnion, so I also suggest you get yourself a Claydol and slap a Life Orb on Hitmonchan. Trust me, Hitmonchan needs any boost it can get.

Like said before, I suggest replacing Uxie with Claydol for spinning.

This is (IMO) Hitmonchans best offensive set.

Hitmonchan (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch

Take's special attacks great. Just bring it on something that would either switch out or you can tank hits from and proceed to bulk up. Drain Punch is the STAB boosted healing attack, BP is priority and Ice Punch is for your flying and ground destroying needs. Although with the abundance of Moltres in RU, Thunder Punch might be better

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hey Raseri,

The TrickScarf Claydol idea The Reptile suggested looks really good on your team from my vantage point. It takes the roles of Hitmonchan and Uxie and puts them into one, which is really nice, and nices you a much needed Electric + retained ground immunity. It can also act as a secondary Honchkrow check. This will let you beat Lanturn actually, running SR | Trick | EQ | Rapid Spin. With this extra spot now vacated, I really suggest using Poliwrath. You have a huge weakness to Water type attacks, and if Shell Smash becomes more common, this will be an indispensible tool for you in absorbing those water moves. The SubPunch and Rest Talk sets in the smogon analysis are both viable, where the subpunch is move offensively inclined, giving you a way to power through Ferroseed and aggron, while the rest talk is more defensively based, allowing you to phaze out otherwise troublesome mons like said Shell Smashers or BP chains. While I don't really like CS Moltres because of the lack of power, it seems like you've done a good job putting it on this team. Grats on the ladder peak, and hope I helped man. GL!

So, looking at your team, i thought that maybe you could use claydol as your spinner. It can serve the purpose of both uxie and hitmonchan. it can have trick, stealth rock, rapid spin, and some random attacking move. Now that sableye is gone it doesnt have to worry nearly as much about getting taunted. this would also free up another spot on your team for another sweeper such as liligant, kabutops, or accelgor. or another support pokemon if you feel like it. Anyways, i really like your team, and I am currently trying to make a team similar to it.

Seeing as everyone suggested it I will try Claydol over Uxie and Hitmonchan. I've never really liked Claydol because of all the weaknesses to common types but it's worth a shot.

Hey Raseri,

The TrickScarf Claydol idea The Reptile suggested looks really good on your team from my vantage point. It takes the roles of Hitmonchan and Uxie and puts them into one, which is really nice, and nices you a much needed Electric + retained ground immunity. It can also act as a secondary Honchkrow check. This will let you beat Lanturn actually, running SR | Trick | EQ | Rapid Spin. With this extra spot now vacated, I really suggest using Poliwrath. You have a huge weakness to Water type attacks, and if Shell Smash becomes more common, this will be an indispensible tool for you in absorbing those water moves. The SubPunch and Rest Talk sets in the smogon analysis are both viable, where the subpunch is move offensively inclined, giving you a way to power through Ferroseed and aggron, while the rest talk is more defensively based, allowing you to phaze out otherwise troublesome mons like said Shell Smashers or BP chains. While I don't really like CS Moltres because of the lack of power, it seems like you've done a good job putting it on this team. Grats on the ladder peak, and hope I helped man. GL!
The few times I have run into Shell Smash it has proven to be problematic, so Poliwrath will be very helpful. Poliwrath also helps me with my struggles against very bulky Steel types who can use half of my team as set up fodder. Thanks SP, hopefully this works =D

Currently Testing:
Trick Scarf Claydol to combine Uxie and Hitmonchan
Sub Punch Poliwrath to add more offense to my team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)