Positioning in Triple Battles

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I personally love playing Triples, I feel there should maybe be a section discussion positioning so that it could feel like less of a Doubles rehash.
With the recent unveiling of VGC 2012 rules, other aspects of the Global Battle Union have not seen as much activity. This thread focuses on the idea of positioning in triple battles, both offensively and defensively.

The middle position can attack any Pokemon on the other side of the field, giving it the highest offensive presence. It is also open to up to 3 attacks from the opponent's Pokemon, so it has the lowest defensive capability.

The left and right positions can attack the Pokemon opposite them and the middle Pokemon. Some moves can hit any opposing Pokemon as well. This gives side Pokemon a lower offensive presence than the middle Pokemon, but an easier time surviving attacks. Outside Pokemon can also switch spots with the middle Pokemon (0 priority) in case of an unlucky matchup.

So far, the extent of my triple battles teams have a very bulky Pokemon in the middle that is not weak to a lot of spread attacks, because it needs the most help surviving attacks. A good example of a center supporting Pokemon is

Musharna @ Sitrus Berry, Telepathy
Calm 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Psychic, Trick Room, Helping Hand, Magic Coat

This would definitely fall under defensive positioning. Magic Coat stops many strategies, especially Dark Void Smeargle and Taunt users. Trick Room is used solely to reverse Trick Room.

So what are your thoughts on positioning of Pokemon? Do you like using Archeops and Hydreigon on the side to allow maximum attacking options? Or do you prefer using an Intimidate Pokemon in the middle to swing the advantage in your favor right away? Full Pokemon sets and theories on positioning are encouraged.

Positioning is a really interesting issue in Triples. I recently had a really annoying battle where I'd gotten rid of all my opponent's pokemon except for Ferrothorn, which was way off on one side of the field, and my pokemon on the other side thus had to do *less* than nothing, since the only pokemon its attacks could reach were on my side.

Here's the video no: 48-51073-51883

I find Follow Me/Rage Powder abusers to work best in the center as they can draw in every attack thrown at them. Amoonguss comes to mind.

Here's something I've been playing recently that is quite frustrating to deal with unless you pack Wide Guard.

Latios (Side) @ Choice Specs
Timid 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Dragon Pulse / Surf / Psyshock / Draco Meteor

Garchomp (Center) @ Yache Berry, Sand Veil
Jolly 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Earthquake, Rock Slide, Outrage, Protect

Thundurus (Side) @ Zap Plate, Prankster (Screw Item Clause >.>)
Timid 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Discharge, HP Ice, Substitute, Thunder Wave

Idea is to spam Earthquake which deals no damage to either Latios and Thundurus. Dragon Pulse is also capable of hitting non-adjacent opponents in the case Latios can't do much to the opposite side.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Although triples is definitely not my strong point i can see scarf smeargle as a great center. Give it a side fake out user like infernape, and to the other side a raw attacker like well latios, or hydreigon and a safe switchout in the back like a fighting resist(namely amoonguss), and wallah you got a core.

I like a team of Hydreigon (side), Amoonguss (center), and Lucario (side)
Both Hydreigon and Lucario share a fighting weakness, but with Amoonguss being able to resist Fighting attacks, and using Rage Powder, it can lure those Fighting types away. Also, with the exception of Aura Sphere, other Fighting attacks hit physically, giving a chance to activate Amoonguss' Effect Spore.

Hydreigon has Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse, Surf, Hyper Voice, and Earthquake to either hit non-adjacent Pokes, or multiple Pokes (Surf doesn't do much to Amoonguss).

Luke has Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere, and Dragon Pulse to hit non-adjacent Pokes, pluse both ExtremeSpeed, and Vacuum Wave for Priorty.

If you are worried about double Fire weaknesses of Luke and Amoonguss, and want to keep away from more SE fighting types, Togekiss can be used over Amoonguss with Follow Me. This choice can also be saved for later in battle as well, since Togekiss gets Air Slash and Aura Sphere for non-adjacent coverage, therefore it does not need to be committed to Follow Me.

Another interesting tactic--although I'm still working on the theory behind it: if you have a Trick Room team, you usually want your poke that's running TR on the outside--less chance of it getting KOed, Taunted, etc. But if you put it in the center, you can have a fast poke on the outside swap places with the TR-user. This fast pokemon will probably end up getting sac'd, but it's probably worth it to get your TR up (TR in triples is DEADLY). Again, I haven't tried this, but it's a tactic I've been thinking about.

I always put the TR'er on the outside, and something intimidating (the ability helps too) in the middle that Protects and draws all the attacks. Strangely enough... I've only seen Taunt in GBU once or twice.

Something brutal and ragequity that I used to run sometimes:
Landorus and Excadrill (or Garchomp or Archeops or something) on either side, with Air Balloon Tyraniboah in the middle. Anything that survives the two Earthquakes is in a bad situation if it decided to hit one of the side 'mons, since Tar often gets a free Substitute.

hmmm.. i got a question. if a pokemon uses magic coat expecting a dark void, will it reflect the whole attack, preventing all your allies to fall asleep, or just yourself?

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hmmm.. i got a question. if a pokemon uses magic coat expecting a dark void, will it reflect the whole attack, preventing all your allies to fall asleep, or just yourself?
just the pokemon that uses magic coat. however, the attack is reflected on all opposing pokemon if the magic coat user is in the middle, and 2 adjacent ones if on the outside.

so ultimately... all but one pokemon will be asleep.

lol
boy, that would be some sight.

how is acrobatics in triples?
i would imagine crobat and gliscor being a good user of this.

Like a lot of Flying attacks, it can hit non adjacent opponents so it's useful on the side. Archeops packs it a lot too from what I've seen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)