Smogon University PO Statistics — October 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
You gotta keep this in mind--Whimsicott only went down to UU halfway through the month. Possibly why its usage is in the crapper.
Well, Hopefully Whimsicott will rise, if not, I have serious doubts about the UU players @_@

| 42 | Dugtrio | 17437 | 4.521% | 0.70±0.78 | 3.34±2.50 |

yessssss hahahaha

also glad to see dnite at #1

thanks antar!

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I agree, Cobalion is way too low, though its definitely not the best offensive fighting-type. Heracross is still hands down the best fighter in the tier(even with Machamp in the tier, who is probbaly #2) Also laughing at Chandelure being #3, nowhere near as good as we thought it was. (but I love it all the same, haters BE GONE)

Don't feel so bad about Weavile being so low, its still pretty decent and checking ghosts and psychics (and it outspeeds Alakazam naturally which is a big deal imo)

Also I forgot to give my obligatory THANKS ANTAR. (Probably because you never miss a beat with these stats lol)

But the UU statistics look like they were compiled by a group of chimpanzees.
I take offense to that. What I hope you meant to say was

But the UU statistics look like they were compiled by watching a group of chimpanzees.
I just work with the data I have.

Chandelure has no business being #3 lol. Roserade being #1 I would gather is mostly for Spikes. Spikestacking is ridiculously effective in UU, especially with Stoutland bringing in the rear, and literally everything physical having trouble beating Hippowdon without at least a couple of layers. Cobalion is way too low, easily the best offensive Fighting type in UU right now. All of its sets pretty much win games. I'm just a little saddened Weavile is falling so low, but again, Spikestacking...
Keep in mind this has been a very strange month. The tiers were updated halfway through, and people wanted to test out the new toys. There were also problems with the banlists and with the scripts. Not to worry. Tiers aren't being adjusted for another two months. Hopefully the next round of stats will be more to your liking.

Spikes Roserade is probably it's least threatening set atm. I'd rather use Deoxys-D, Froslass, or hell even Qwilfish and Omastar. What makes Roserade so threatening is diversity; It can sweep you with LO, it can sleep your hard counter, it can spread and absorb tspikes, and it can spike too of course. Definitely deserving of the #1 most used mon.

Also Whimsicott sucks. Almost 50% of teams high on the ladder use Roserade, and Whimsicott is literally dead weight against any team with Roserade. It isn't even very good against teams without Rose. I look forward to reading about how it does in RU.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Antar, how are you going to collect rated stats for this month? Will every battle show the rating of both players, or will you still use end-of-the-month ratings?

Antar, how are you going to collect rated stats for this month? Will every battle show the rating of both players, or will you still use end-of-the-month ratings?
So the way things are now, the server creates TWO log files. The first is the battle log, which is all we've had to work with up to this point. The second contains full team stats, including movesets, items, etc. It also contains player ratings.

I work with battle logs. Innocent Criminal works with the other stuff. So come November, I'm probably going to turn the compilation of "1337" stats over to him, using the player rating at the time of the battle, while I focus on metrics.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Holy crap, I never thought I'd see the day where Dragonite was king of OU.

Then again that's what happens when you ban Excadrill, Garchomp, and Thundurus, I guess.

Tornadus and it's +25, well I guess Tornadus is just awesome in rain.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
So the way things are now, the server creates TWO log files. The first is the battle log, which is all we've had to work with up to this point. The second contains full team stats, including movesets, items, etc. It also contains player ratings.

I work with battle logs. Innocent Criminal works with the other stuff. So come November, I'm probably going to turn the compilation of "1337" stats over to him, using the player rating at the time of the battle, while I focus on metrics.
Oh that's nice. Now just to be sure, is there a reason we have 1337 stats (where only teams of players with a rating above a certain threshold are taken into account) instead of weighted stats (every time a pokémon is using by a player with rating X, X is added to its usage total)?

Oh that's nice. Now just to be sure, is there a reason we have 1337 stats (where only teams of players with a rating above a certain threshold) instead of weighted stats (every time a pokémon is using by a player with X rating, X is added to its usage total)?
Laziness? I don't want to have to fine-tune a weighting function. Besides, higher-rated trainers weight themselves because they battle more. The idea behind "1337" stats is to look at what the best-of-the-best are doing.

Speaking of, revised 1337 stats are back up, although I don't blame you if you're skeptical of them. If you see something that looks wrong, say something, and I'll look into it.

Then again, I assume that a consistent group of noobs have started to use him because it was nominated as a suspect (lmao).
Actually, if you believe my analysis (it's had some issues before, so I don't blame you if you don't), a larger percentage of top-rated trainers use D-nite as compared to the general population (even though it's ranked lower).

I do think, however, that the bottom line here is that October was a very strange month, what with the tier changes and server problems, and we really should take *all* of these stats with a grain of salt.

The one thing I see when I look at these stats is the resurgence of High Offense with Excadrill gone. One of the biggest examples of this is Lucario shooting up 14 places. Lucario saw a massive decline in use with Excadrill around since you were pretty much limited to Nasty Plot, since Extremespeed is totally useless against it. Deoxys-S, the premier screen layer in OU, also its usage jump, as did a number of other sweepers such as Gengar, Jolteon, Dragonite.

Of course the other thing is Rain Stall, with Tentacruel in particular seeing a massive spike in usage. Tornadus shot up obviously, since it's the obvious replacement for Tundurus. Dugtrio is interesting; whether it's being used on High offense to take out vital Pokemon or whether it's being used on weather to take out opposing weather starters, I don't know.

Well these are certainly intersting, that's for certain. I wouldn't make any jumps to conclusions about any one play style taking over the metagame though. A lot of Pokemon moving up and down serve well on multiple team types, so making assumptions based on just that is foolhardy.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can someone explain to me how the hell can Scizor work as a lead in OU and why it's the 6th most used lead ?

Can someone explain to me how the hell can Scizor work as a lead in OU and why it's the 6th most used lead ?
U-Turn primarily, I'd imagine. Can also counter a fair number of other leading Pokemon seeing as focus sash is almost non-existent this generation. With team preview, a lot of Pokemon aren't lead with because they lead particularly well, but because they counter the opposing team's most likely lead.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ho-Oh is completely absent in the 1337 Ubers stats, which is the only thing about it that seems off (besides Dialga beating out Kyogre for #1).

1337 Stats

OU

Sorted by average number of KOs per battle:

Code:
 | 2    | Electivire      | 57     |  0.391% | 1.24±1.08 | 3.76±1.91 |
Ummmmm.....!??!?!?!

Not that I don't think these are accurate. Just that it's funny since people see Electivire as a n00b Pokemon (or at least, it was 5 years ago, but people still haven't moved on from that...).

Also, I've been noticing Chansey has been slowly climbing up OU's stats every month, whilst Blissey has been falling.

I for one welcome our new Dragonite overlord.

But seriously, unless you are running a sand or hail team, or have a grudge against spinblockers and wishers, there is no reason for not having one on you're team. And if you are using a sun team, it is required by law to run Dragonite, since you'll be running spinner support anyway (you are, right?).

Also, Charizard in OU has significantly dropped, which saddens me. The specs set is hands down the most bad-ass mofo to be found in all of pokemon. A solar power specs boosted timid Fire Blast in the sun does ~165% of the damage of adamant CB Haxorus' Outrage. It can 2HKO Blissey, max SpD Gastrodon, max SpD Tentacruel, max SpD Jellicent, and way more, almost all of them without rocks. Run Focus Blast for Heatran and Tyranitar, and fill your remaining moveslots with Air Slash for Chandelure and Flamethrower for accuracy, and you're set. The neccesary spin support is demanded by sun teams anyway (again, you are, right?).

1337 Stats

OU

Sorted by average number of KOs per battle:

Code:
 | 2    | Electivire      | 57     |  0.391% | 1.24±1.08 | 3.76±1.91 |
Ummmmm.....!??!?!?!
A large part of it is that the metrics are crap. When the standard deviation is on the order of the thing you're measuring, you're doing it wrong.

Also, I've been noticing Chansey has been slowly climbing up OU's stats every month, whilst Blissey has been falling.
Chansey's been beating Blissey in Ubers for a while. Is there any particular reason to run one vs. the other? I guess Chansey is bulkier while Blissey can carry lefties (meh) and could actually run attacking moves thanks to its *decent* SpA...

Dragonite is #1...
Dugtrio, Jolteon, and more might go OU...

Stop it.

EDIT: especially Zam and Sableye. Zam is one of my favorites, and I want to use it in 2 tiers dammit >.<

EDIT 2: needs moar Zapdos. Come on ppl, you KNOW you like him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)