Rutgers University, NJ: Apex 2012 - January 6-8, 2012 - WON BY sandman

Hey, what is going on everyone? ChiboSempai here, time to talk some intense Pokemon competition and Apex 2012. I've been around here for a while, but I normally hang out more often on Smash World Forums, Pokemon Online, and Skarmbliss. I definitely want to let all of you know about this event however, Apex 2012.

Besides being basically the biggest Smash event in the world and a major for fighting games (UMvC3, SSF4AE2012, and MK9), I will be hosting a Pokemon event there as well! For those of you who haven't attended a Pokemon tournament in person, you're missing out. Time to take all of that practice and planning in person, and potentially win hundreds of dollars. Who said Pokemon never paid off? Pokemon tournaments are few and far between, so there is no reason to miss this!

DATE

This is a 3 day event on January 6th, 7th, and 8th (Friday, Saturday, Sunday).
The Pokemon event will be taking place on Friday only, though players are free to hang out and have casual play with each other on the other days.

EVENTS

• Super Smash Bros. - Friday
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee - Friday and Sunday
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Saturday and Sunday
  • Pokemon Black & White - Friday
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 - Saturday and Sunday
  • Super Street Fighter 4 AE 2012 - Saturday and Sunday
  • Mortal Kombat - Saturday

PRICE

The price for entering Apex is split into two parts: Venue Fee, and Entry Fee. Venue Fee is a fee that everyone must pay to gain entrance to the event, which basically goes towards paying for the venue, the staff, etc. The entry fee is pooled together and 100% goes back to the winners of the event.

The venue fee is roughly $10 per day your games run on. If you are entering only Pokemon, since it is only a one day event, the venue fee is $10. If you are entering Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, the venue fee is $20. The only exceptions are Melee and Brawl being $30 (since we have plenty of action for Melee on Saturday and Brawl on Sunday when the official tournament isn't going on) and Mortal Kombat being $20 like the other fighters. Once you pay the venue fee, you are good for the entire weekend. You can enter Pokemon and pay the $10 venue fee, but still be in the venue Sat and Sun for no additional cost. If you enter no games, the venue fee is $10 (for spectators). If you enter one event like Pokemon but later want to add a different game with a higher venue fee, you will just pay the difference of them. You only pay the venue fee once, not per game.

The entry fee is $10 for every event of every game (except Smash 64 is $5), except for Super Smash Bros Melee and Brawl Singles events, which are $15 each.

There is Singles OU and Doubles VGC 2012 for Pokemon. For instance, if you plan to come and enter both events for Pokemon, you will be paying $30 ($10 Venue + $10 Singles + $10 Doubles). If you enter only Singles or only VGC, you will be paying $20. Lets say you enter Super Smash Bros Brawl Singles and one Pokemon Event, that would be $55 ($30 Venue + $15 Brawl Singles + $10 Pokemon), you don't need to pay the Venue fee for each game separate.

More information on price can be found here: http://apexsmash.com/registration/

EVENTS

All registration for Pokemon is done at the door on Friday, you do not need to register online. If you want to enter a Super Smash Bros event, you must register online. All other fighting games will have early registration online, but will also have late registration at the door (for an extra fee). You can register for games online here: http://apexsmash.com/registration/

The venue fee for Super Smash Bros raises on November 29th, so if you want to enter one of those games act quickly to get the early price.

TIME

As of now, Pokemon will be starting at some time between 4:00pm and 6:00pm EST on Friday, January 6th. We are currently finalizing our schedule and will have the exact time for everyone soon.

CHAMPIONSHIP SUNDAY

If you love to spectate other games, be sure to stick around for Sunday. There will be a main stage setup with full seating for everyone to spectate the top 8 or finals of Super Smash Bros Melee, Brawl, Marvel, and Street Fighter. This will be an exciting event you don't want to miss!

POKEMON RULESET

As mentioned there will be two events, Singles OU and Doubles VGC 2012. The Singles OU will be following the current Smogon OU Wifi ruleset at the time of the event. The VGC 2012 ruleset is the same as the official ruleset Nintendo is running at the 2012 circuit at events.

POKEMON TOURNAMENT PLAY

All Pokemon matches will be held on the DS system. You must bring your own Nintendo DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, or 3DS system with a legitimate copy of Pokemon Black or White to compete in the tournament. Please have your team ready on the day of the event for the events you plan to enter. More details on the process of battling will be coming soon.

APEX ATTENDANCE

For all games, Apex is attracting an outstanding attendance list from all over the world. Many different Japanese, European, Canadian, and South American players will be attending for the various events. Watch eagerly as players battle for the pride of their country and see who takes home the gold!

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO DO?

There is a lot more to do besides tournaments! We will have a giant area on Friday and Saturday dedicated to free play so attendees can play games, or practice for other events. There is tons of space for you to collaborate and meet with other members, having fun, playing games, etc. There will be an Artist's Alley where artists will be selling hand made pieces of art you can't find anywhere else! Additionally, there will be multiple sponsor booths set up from various companies potentially giving away free swag, selling cool products, and more.

MORE INFORMATION

For more information on Apex 2012 you can visit the official website here: http://www.apexsmash.com

QUALIFIERS

In preparation for Apex between now and then I will hold Online Qualifiers to be hosted on Pokemon Online. Pay attention to this thread and www.apexsmash.com to find out the dates and times of the qualifiers.
The top 4 winners of each event (Singles and VGC will be held) will receive seeding points for Apex. This means that if you enter Apex and have seeding points, you will be separated in the event from other players with seeding points if possible, and may receive byes from early rounds.

For any Singles Tournament meet in the Smogon Server. For any VGC Tournament meet in the Skarmbliss Server. At the specified time I will announce in the chat that signups are starting, and people will enter by messaging me on there. The events will be double elimination, best of 1 sets. All rules are the same as their respective ladders, and spectator clause must be on (so I can ensure sets are going properly).

Qualifier 1 Friday November 18, 2011:
-Singles OU Wifi 8:30pm EST
-Doubles VGC 12 10:30pm EST

Qualifier 2 Sunday November 27th, 2011:
-Singles OU Wifi 5:00pm EST
-Doubles VGC 12 7:00pm EST

Qualifier 3 Sunday December 4th, 2011:
-Singles OU Wifi 5:00pm EST
-Doubles VGC 12 7:00pm EST

Qualifier 4 Wednesday January 4th, 2011:
-Singles OU Wifi 8:00pm EST
-Doubles VGC 12 10:00pm EST

The more seeding points you win, the higher you will be seeded! The winners will also be interviewed on www.apexsmash.com.

CURRENT STANDINGS

(will be updated soon)

Singles:

1. theamericandream38 - 8 points
1. Chimpakt - 8 points
2. Jarvitz - 5 points
3. Doom - 4 points
4. Jio - 2 points
4. Sapphire Birch - 2 points
5. Arban - 1 point

Doubles:

1. theamericandream38 - 8 points
2. Jio - 4 points
3. Jarvitz - 2 points
4. rekcornomtih - 1 point

Let me know if you plan to come by posting here! Spread the word to your friends and make this one of the biggest and most exciting Pokemon events ever!

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's awesome to see more grassroots tournaments for Pokemon =) I'll see about convincing some friends who are flying over for the Smash part of Apex to give Pokemon a whirl ;D

Added a re-direct in VGC forum for some additional exposure.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Would be a great excuse to visit Rutgers, one of the universities I've always wanted to visit. Too bad I'm on the other side of North America.

Sounds like a great tournament, hope for the best!

I was planning on going for brawl and saw the Pokemon side event but didn't know there was gonna be VGC 2012, so I'll probably enter that if I can make a good team for it

I attended APEX last year, and can as european say it´s really legit, haven't the oppoturnity to go again this time but if anyone is concidering going, definitly go there, it wont be anything you´ll regret^^

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
I might go, I'll be back home in jersey in january, especially if there is a cash prize for vgc 12 :D

I might go, I'll be back home in jersey in january, especially if there is a cash prize for vgc 12 :D
Entry will likely be $10 per person, and 1st will win approximately 50% of the total pot. So on these numbers, 32 people = $160 for first, 64 people = $320 for first, etc etc.
Full details on that kind of stuff will be coming soon, such as the exact $ for entry, and exact payouts. What I can tell you for sure is that 100% of the entry fees go back to the winners. It will likely be top 5 (depends on number of entrants, so something like 50/30/10/5/2.5 %s for payouts.

Entry will likely be $10 per person, and 1st will win approximately 50% of the total pot. So on these numbers, 32 people = $160 for first, 64 people = $320 for first, etc etc.
Full details on that kind of stuff will be coming soon, such as the exact $ for entry, and exact payouts. What I can tell you for sure is that 100% of the entry fees go back to the winners. It will likely be top 5 (depends on number of entrants, so something like 50/30/10/5/2.5 %s for payouts.
And the leftover 2.5%???

Your lunch? ;) I'm kidding.

This sounds great. People should def. Go

There's 2 5th places in double elimination brackets

I'm leaning towards doing Swiss pools doing in double elim at the end

If anyone has any suggestions for a way they would rather see it let me know.

I'm probably going to run it Nintendo VGC style where it works sort of like a flowchart where you walk from one section to the next ending in a bracket. I will likely be holding some online tourneys (for free) between now and then (I'll def announce them and let people know) where the winners or like top 4 get to bypass a round or so when they get to the event.

Already planned to attend Apex for Brawl, but if you do choose to use Smogon's standard OU, I'll have more reason to go. I've already voiced my opinion that if Smogon's Ruleset isn't used for singles, it's not legit. Here's hoping you make the right choice

Edit: so, matches will just be best of one, or best of 3 (hoping for the latter, even though it would take longer)

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There's 2 5th places in double elimination brackets

I'm leaning towards doing Swiss pools doing in double elim at the end

If anyone has any suggestions for a way they would rather see it let me know.

I'm probably going to run it Nintendo VGC style where it works sort of like a flowchart where you walk from one section to the next ending in a bracket. I will likely be holding some online tourneys (for free) between now and then (I'll def announce them and let people know) where the winners or like top 4 get to bypass a round or so when they get to the event.
Just keep in mind time! Especially for singles which could take an hour per round with a full six on six. VGC battles will usually finish within 15 minutes.

It's too bad Game Freak didn't open up the Battle Box controls that TPCi staff have to players so we could run similar tournaments.

Attending with a group of guys to compete in Smash and now Pokemon! Here comes an extra 4-6 people your way ;)

Echoing Firestorm's advice. If you find that two players are playing stall, the battle could take over an hour. I would say most rounds would be done between 30-45 minutes though, but be sure to plan for extra time. Nothing is worse than running out of time and rushing everything :P

thx for the advice

dont worry, il have timing considerations carefully planned out.. iv hosted many smash tournaments in the past, in fact i think more than anyone else, im also one of the lead TOs for brawl at apex.

i dont suppose anyone knows anywhere that has a hold on the code that nintendo runs on their boxes to setup the vgc events do they lol

im going to remake this thread with absolute full info on everything after the weekend, im busy atm traveling to NY to stream a melee tournament tomorrow on twitch.tv/vvv_chibosempai

I'm probably going to plan for the first online qualifiers to be soon. Details later tonight.

These will be mini tournaments held on Pokemon Online where the top x places (top 4 I guess?) get seeding points at the Apex tournament to separate the better players, and potentially earn byes in early rounds.

Count me in as i walways wanted to go to a grassroots movement like this. hoepfully there will be a good turnout for vgc doubles :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)