Golbat (Analysis)

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Golbat

[Overview]

<p>Everything about Golbat just screams defensive Pokemon. It has a great defensive typing, being 4x resistant to the common Grass-, Fighting-, and Bug-type moves in the RU tier, as well as having immunities to both Ground-type moves and Toxic. Eviolite boosts Golbat's already decent defenses to great levels, and when in conjunction with Roost, Golbat becomes nigh impossible to kill. A good Speed stat allows Golbat to outspeed most of the common walls in the tier, Taunting them before they can retaliate. However, Golbat suffers from a crippling weakness to the common Psychic-, Electric-, Ice-, and Rock-type moves, and also Stealth Rock. However, this won't stop Golbat, as it's still one of the best checks to Fighting-, Grass-, and Bug-types in the tier, and makes for a solid defensive threat.</p>

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Roost
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Super Fang / Toxic
item: Eviolite
ability: Inner Focus
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set's main job is to check the common Grass-, Fighting-, and Bug-types in the tier, and Golbat does it well. With its great typing and Eviolite, Golbat will take hits with ease. Brave Bird is Golbat's most powerful move, and is the main course of action against Fighting-, Grass-, and Bug-types. Roost recovers lost health, while removing three of its four weaknesses for one turn. Taunt will shut down most walls, preventing them from setting up, spreading status, or healing themselves. Super Fang is Golbat's best move against Steel-types, such as Ferroseed and Aggron, quickly halving their health. Toxic is another good option to use, as the poison status can make certain Pokemon easier to deal with. However, if you opt to use Toxic, Golbat will be completely walled by Steel-types.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Haze can be used to remove the opponent's boosts. Whirlwind also does this, but forces your opponent out in the process. The listed EVs give Golbat ample defenses for taking physical and special hits. Golbat can easily survive a +6 Petal Dance from Lilligant, while taking next to nothing from Medicham's Hi Jump Kick. Grass-type Pokemon, such as Lilligant and Sceptile, make for good teammates, as they will greatly benefit from having faster Bug-types, such as Scyther and Accelgor, removed. Normal- and Rock-type Pokemon, such as Bouffalant and Aggron, hate Fighting-types, so they really appreciate Golbat's support. Dark-types such as Krookodile will also benefit from the aforementioned Pokemon being removed. Water- and Ground-types, such as Kabutops and Claydol, also benefit from the removal of faster Grass-types. If Golbat lacks Toxic, Toxic Spikes support really helps. Qwilfish and Scolipede are the best choices to pair with Golbat, as Qwilfish can check Ice- and Rock-types, while Scolipede can take care of those pesky Psychic-types.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Hypnosis is a viable option for Golbat to use, as putting something to sleep can be beneficial. However, Hypnosis's shaky accuracy is off-putting. Confuse Ray is an option if you're feeling lucky, but confusion is unreliable overall. Mean Look can be used to trap something Golbat is supposed to check, as well as preventing poisoned opponents from switching. Screech can help Golbat's teammates take down certain defensive behemoths, such as Cofagrigus and Steelix, or force switches. Golbat can also make use of its bulk to set up with Nasty Plot. Thanks to its great resistances, Golbat has no trouble setting up, but its Speed lets it down, often leading it to be KOed before it can do anything. However, if Golbat uses Nasty Plot, it can utilize a set consisting of Air Slash, Hidden Power Ground, and Roost alongside Nasty Plot. Infiltrator is also viable with Nasty Plot, as it allows Golbat to bypass Light Screen. Infiltrator can also be used on the main set to bypass Reflect, but it is illegal with Super Fang.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Aggron is the number one counter to Golbat. Aggron resists Brave Bird, doesn't care much about neither Super Fang nor Taunt, and is immune to Toxic, while easily KOing Golbat with STAB Head Smash. While Golbat is supposed to check Fighting-types, Medicham and Gallade can still beat it with their STAB Psychic-type moves. However, Medicham can't do anything to Golbat if it's locked into Hi Jump Kick. Golbat can take a Bug Buzz from Galvantula with ease, but a STAB Thunder can be incredibly dangerous. Rotom-F resists Brave Bird, and can hit hard with Blizzard. Rotom not only resists Brave Bird, it is also immune to Super Fang and can hide behind Substitute to avoid Toxic, before severely denting it with a STAB Thunderbolt.</p>

Last edited by a moderator:

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, it's like this, I've been testing a Nasty Plot set. It has been working to some success, due to Golbat having alot of set up opportunities thanks to its resistances and defenses.

The set looks like this:

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Air Slash
move 3: Hidden Power Ground
move 4: Roost
item: Eviolite
ability: Inner Focus
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

It reaches 456 SpA after one boost, not that much, but it can easily boost twice, or even a third time.

But I don't know, I'm a little unsure, so it's your call QC. Let me know if I should add it.

^ Now, if I were a QC member, I'd ask for a few logs of its success. It seems like a good set on paper, but we all know the old saying about theory and practice, lol. A few logs would be a good idea.

Also, is Infiltrator released? I'd use that over Inner Focus on the Nasty Plot set, definitely. Fake Out and other flinch moves aren't as common in RU as they are for Crobat in UU.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
Why do I need to post logs when I don't really think it needs a set of its own myself? I was just asking QC, nothing else. I'm not trying to prove anything.

Also, and this is pretty common, Roost is illegal with its DW ability.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Infiltrator would cause move legality issues.

SuperJOCKE, where is U-turn? SubRoost and Heatwave should be mentioned somewhere as well.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
Well, U-turn and SubRoost could go in OO.

And with Heatwave, you mean on the NP set right? Because I don't see it being used in any other way and HP Ground is stille better. I guess it could go in the AC of the NP set if QC wants that set.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Mention Heatwave in AC for Ferroseed. While you can Taunt it, Gyro Ball kinda hurts, and bar Super Fang, they can't really do anything to one another, which might force a switch.

You know what? Ignore me, I'm too tired to post coherently.

Huh can't you just taunt ferro and stall gyro out if need be. I feel like that damage would be pretty underwhelming.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
I have to look into it.

EDIT: After doing the calcs, Golbat can just outstall Gyro Ball (Gyro Ball only does 17.8% - 20.9% damage to Golbat with the above spread).

One more thing that has some situational utility and could be put in OO is pursuit. (Pretty sure the bat can learn it) I suppose mostly for taking out a weakened spin blockers or otherwise to help wear down switching out scarf users. Not much good for psychics in this case...as they don't really have a reason to switch out.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
I don't really now. I think it's too weak. The listed moves are generally better overall.

I know it's going to be weak, but considering you have both screech and hypnosis in Other Options, pursuit is at least as viable competitively as those moves. I just think it just deserves a mention

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
Yeah, but Screech and Hypnosis are support moves, while Pursuit is not. There aren't many frail Ghost-types in the tier if I remember correctly. Rotom is the frailest one I think. Actually, Pursuit deserves a mention as Rotom resists Brave Bird and is immune to Super Fang. Good enough for me.

November Blue

is a Contributor Alumnus
You could probably steal some sets from the Crobat analysis. It has a Choice Band one that uses Pursuit.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
I've been looking at a Choice Band set since day 1, but I don't think it's good enough.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I remember playing that NP Golbat a few days ago. If memory serves right, you used HP Ground a grand total of 0 times that match and were forced out multiple times by Cofagrigus. Try Taunt over HP Ground, it not only protects you from random Thunder Waves, but also shuts down annoying things like Haze and healing

Yeah, but Screech and Hypnosis are support moves, while Pursuit is not. There aren't many frail Ghost-types in the tier if I remember correctly. Rotom is the frailest one I think. Actually, Pursuit deserves a mention as Rotom resists Brave Bird and is immune to Super Fang. Good enough for me.
SuperJocke, Brave Bird deals more damage to Rotom than Pursuit (although not if it switches out). Then again, why would it? It can simply outspeed and take Golbat out with Thunderbolt, so I don't see how Golbat could ever use Pursuit effectively

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
Not really, I eventually took it down with Air Slash. I switched the first time becuase of Haze, but the second time I set up, you switched in Cofagrigus on Air Slash and I just spammed Air Slash until Cofagrigus was KOed. Flinch hax y'know. I think that was against you.

Taunt is an option, but Aggron and Steelix will laugh at it, and as well Rotom.

SuperJocke, Brave Bird deals more damage to Rotom than Pursuit (although not if it switches out). Then again, why would it? It can simply outspeed and take Golbat out with Thunderbolt, so I don't see how Golbat could ever use Pursuit effectively
Haha, yeah, you're right. Think before you act SuperJOCKE.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The defensive set is where it's at, it's fucking fantastic. I haven't tried the NP set, but from a glance it doesn't look too impressive, the coverage moves are pretty low powered and you don't even have LO to help boost your attacks. I'm stamping the defensive set but other QCers can decide the fate of the NP set.

QC APPROVED 1/3

Yeah. I played the defensive set some. You're probably right; pursuit is not going to be able to find its way onto any set Golbat can use effectively because it needs the slots so much(unless some crazy niche team use comes up...) It's just from my days using the stall breaker BandCrobat in gen 4. Lol I guess I'm trying to re-live it.

Heck, this thing is a pretty good full stop to munchlax.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Maybe Mention Toxic Spikes support from something like Qwilfish or Roselia if you are running taunt over toxic. Both can also set up spikes, and help Golbat out with weakening said types in the analysis.

P.s Scolipede too,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)