Ubers CCAT: Stage 3 - Teammates

Vote!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Ubers Community Create a Team

Hello, guys! Most of you probably know me already, and the ones who don't; hi.
As a battler, I really like having critic after I make a team. So after I got into LC for a while, and became actually good in that tier, I discovered Little Cup DST - which in there I saw a very unique thread. When I saw this, I was thinking of taking it into Ubers, which would also raise the activity in the forum, and would also raise the activity in the Ubers ladder of Smogon. That thread was, of course, CCAT.

The point of CCAT is to create a team that is both competitive, and both innovative. Bringing something rather fresh into the metagame, that is not used much.

Process:

Step 1 (Poll is going up on Nov 6th!): We are going to start by picking which forgotten Pokemon (and set) we are going to be basing the team around. This does NOT mean the Pokemon has to be the late game sweeper, it means the team will be built around that Pokemon, whatever role it plays. This thread is for nominating Pokemon to be added to a poll (Pokemon that you think fit the description of a "forgotten" Pokemon). After a couple of days (probably around one-two days, until enough pokemon are in the poll (around 10), I will select which Pokemon are going to be in the poll that will be posted after we decide on a list of Pokemon. This means you have to convince me, and others, that your Pokemon is worth being put in the vote.

Note: A "Forgotten Wonder" is something is less used then the average OU Pokemon / set, but is still powerful enough to be used in the standard metagame. Plus, test your suggestion before submitting it!

Note 2: You can suggest forgotten "sets", for example Offensive Lugia is an option even though Defensive Lugia is by far more used.

Step 2: We select what style of team we want to make. This will likely include something along the lines of Offense, Bulky Offense, Stall, Trick Room, and possibly more.

Step 3: We select Pokemon that work well around our Pokemon and fit the team style and test it.

Step 4: We finalize the team and write up a 5-star RMT!
Please stay related to the topic.

With that said, we can get going! Start submitting your suggestions, remember that they should function well in the current metagame.

Thanks to Crux for the OP

Stage 1 - Forgotten Wonder results were;

Deoxys-A @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 12 Atk / 252 SAtk / 244 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Psycho Boost
- ExtremeSpeed
- Superpower
- Shadow Ball

Stage 2 - Team Style results were;
Bulky Offense/Balanced

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, let's get the ball rolling. I would like to suggest Choice Specs Arceus:

Arceus @ Choice Specs
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Judgment
- Fire Blast / Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Trick

While it may seem odd to give Choice Specs to Arceus, who is so proficient at sweeping with Swords Dance and ExtremeSpeed, if you look at most of Arceus' counters, most of them are heavily invested in physical defense, leaving their Special Defenses relatively untouched. Judgement 2HKOs Groudon and Lugia after SR, while Fire Blast roasts Skarm (Thunder can be used in the rain). Ice Beam 2HKOes Giratina and Lugia while having a higher chance to OHKO Groudon. The beauty in this set is that Pokemon that can take advantage of the removal of regular Extremekiller checks like SD Lucario, Rayquaza, Rock Polish Groudon can sweep with their counter crippled or removed. Arceus isn't all useless after that either. After watching their physical wall gets smashed to pieces, your opponent would be more willing to switch in their special wall like Blissey in right? Guess what, Arceus can just Trick them the Specs and watch them cry even more. Have fun with this, even if it doesn't get chosen o_0.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm not sold on Choice Specs Arceus to be honest. It seems gimmicky, and if wanted to stick Specs on a Pokemon it would more likely be Reshiram, Kyogre, or Dialga. They have superior coverage and firepower.

I would like to propose that we make a Darkrai team:
Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Dark Void
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast / Substitute

Although this set is the standard for sweeping Darkrai, I think its still going to have an interesting look on the metagame. Darkrai is one of the most potent yet fragile Ubers sweepers, and it fails to outspeed Shaymin-S and most notably Mewtwo. Whenever I see Darkrai on the ladder, it's either in the lead position, callously tacked onto a team, or being used incorrectly. I think properly building around a Darkrai is not only something new for the ladder, but has the potential to be a really powerful team.

If this doesn't convince you that Darkrai is not common enough, then I would champion Offensive CM Lugia for us to build a team around. Lugia's natural bulk and Speed allow it to get a few Calm Minds up pretty easily, which helps its excellent BoltBeam coverage do some serious damage.

@bojangles

I would like to second making a team based around Darkrai as a sweeper. Like Bojangles said, whenever I see Darkrai I see it as some sort of focus sash lead or choice scarf trick and it is rarely used properly. Most just Dark Void first turn, set up a Nasty Plot on the switch, and then try to take down at least one Pokemon before dying. So, seeing a team that is built around removing Darkrai's checks and counter so it can sweep effectively would be cool.

@shrang

Looks like a fairly interesting set, will have to give it a test. Looks like it could work as an effective lure.

I would like to suggest CBKrom. Almost nothing in the tier enjoys taking its STABS, and after Ferro and Groudon are gone, its pretty much sweep time:

Zekrom @ Choice Band
Ability: TerraVolt
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk/ 252 Speed
Nature: Adamant/ Jolly
-Outrage
-Bolt Strike
-Volt Switch
-Dragon Claw/ Fusion Bolt

Outrage is Outrage. I highly doubt I need to expand on why that coming off of base 150 Attack and STAB is godly. Bolt Strike is in the same vein, more powerful for less accuracy and poorer coverage. Volt Switch is so you can get out of sticky situations without completely losing your momentum. Dragon Claw/ Fusion Bolt are of course weaker alternatives to the moves mentioned above, but are always more reliable in a pinch.

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
I agree that most Darkrai that I've faced aren't used to its potential. Though, I also feel like building a team using an older set that was effective in DPP Ubers and can work in BW Ubers: Bulk Up Dialga.

Dialga @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def / 252 SpD
Nature: Careful
- Bulk Up
- Outrage/ Dragon Claw
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Most Dialga these days run a moveset that usually has at least two of the following: Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Thunder, Dragon Pulse, or Aura Sphere. This set reminds people that Dialga still has a usable attack stat and the same resistances and natural bulk that people love about Support Dialga help make Dialga a bulky set-up sweeper that threatens most bulkier teams, given its immunity to being Poisoned and Burned through its typing and Rest. RestTalk gives Dialga some longevity. Bulk Up boosts Dialga's Attack and Defense. Outrage is there for the power it offers and the fact that if selected by Sleep Talk, Outrage doesn't lock Dialga into it. Though since the set only has one attacking move and to not lock Dialga in too early to deal damage to switch-ins, Dragon Claw is a viable alternative.

Go10

Storm Vanguard !
Making a team around Lugia CM is, IMO, one of the worst choice we can do since we'll have a hard time to deal with all of the other Minder (hi Ceus) and Ferrothorn. SpecsCeus can be interesting if we want to make our team around a Physical sweeper. I'd suggest ElecCeus, which is the most hyped of all the MindCeus and can be deadly if we can handle the hazards (i.e Ferro).

Arceus @Zap Plate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe or 252HP/Spe/4 SpA
- Calm Mind
- Judgement / Thunder / Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast / Recover

Also, if this thing doesnt interest anyone, here is another one. I played Terra in Choice and Double Dance, he really had a hard time to setup a Rock Polish, I dont think its worth trying, the Scarf can be good but we want something innovative, and the Bander can perform pretty well if we manage to build around him.

Terrakion @Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Toxic (for StallCeus, Ghost mainly)
- X-Scissor / Earthquake / Sacred Sword

Nominating Calm Mind Electric Arceus:

Arceus @ Zap Plate
Timid | 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Calm Mind
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Recover

I know from experience that this is one of the most underrated forms of Arceus, and I think its because people underestimate really how much damage this thing can cause. It's able to take out Groudon after a boost with Ice Beam, basically allowing it to do whatever it feels like. It lives all sorts of Ground-type attacks, usually support Groudon Earthquakes, been seeing a lot of support Groudon and such. Just with its STAB and Ice Beam alone it hits most of the metagame for neutral damage, which can have devastating consequences if you can get even a single boost. As a plus you also beat Ferrothorn more often than not, along with just about any unboosted Arceus.

I've been thinking about Judgement in the 2nd moveslot, and I know some people looking at this will too, but you have to keep in mind Thunderbolt is only slightly less powerful (not any KOs that Judgement itself gets iirc) and it has qutie a bit more PP, not to mention a small paralysis chance which can come in handy every once in while. Thunder's something I've considered as well but really it only works if you keep rain up (though a) you kill groudon and b) ice beam is amazing in ubers anyways lol). yeah w/e basically CM ElecCeus is actually the standard set but its the rarity of ElecCeus that warrants it to be the center.

:P

edit: oh goddamnit Go10 why did you have to ninja my paragraphs ;-;

Let's welcome a new pokemon to the Uber tier:

Nasty Plot Thundurus

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

This set aims for a sweep after boosting with Nasty Plot. Thunder is the main attack and STAB. (Rain support appreciated.) Hidden Power Ice takes down Groudon as well as dragons like Rayquaza. Focus Blast serves as coverage against steel-types like Dialga, Ferrothorn, and Forretress as well as well as Blissey and Chansey.

A team based around Thundurus can help us to understand more about its place in the Uber tier as a sweeper.

Go10

Storm Vanguard !
Nominating Calm Mind Electric Arceus:

Arceus @ Zap Plate
Timid | 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Calm Mind
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Recover

I know from experience that this is one of the most underrated forms of Arceus, and I think its because people underestimate really how much damage this thing can cause. It's able to take out Groudon after a boost with Ice Beam, basically allowing it to do whatever it feels like. It lives all sorts of Ground-type attacks, usually support Groudon Earthquakes, been seeing a lot of support Groudon and such. Just with its STAB and Ice Beam alone it hits most of the metagame for neutral damage, which can have devastating consequences if you can get even a single boost. As a plus you also beat Ferrothorn more often than not, along with just about any unboosted Arceus.
No dude, no way, you'll never beat Ferrothorn one-one with ElecCeus, he'll just Thunder Wave, Leech Seed you to the death then go for another troublesome mons. This is the biggest reason that this MindCeus isnt played a lot and thats why I play him sometimes with 3 slot off.

Most hyped Arceus dude, most hyped.

I second the Darkrai choice. Although I think it's hard to sweep with Darkrai given the priority from Espeed and the amount of scarfers nowadays.

I'd like to propose a Deoxys-A team. I've been playing with Jirachi and Groudon to spread paralysis (Kyogre could work too but I hate using Kyogre) and once their key scarfers are paralyzed then Deo-A has an easier time sweeping. Like in Darkrai's case, Espeed from Arceus is still a problem (where is my DW Chandy??)

Deo-A @ LO
Mild
20 Atk / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
- Psyshock
- Extreme Speed
- Ice Beam
- Low Kick

I can't check my EVs right now, will edit later but it was like max Sp.Attack, just enough speed to outspeed Timid Mewtwo and then everything else into Attack. His Espeed is stronger than MixRay's Espeed btw and Psyshock 2HKO's the blobs without setting up (Mewtwo needs a CM to do this with Psystrike) so you can catch them in the switch.

Go10

Storm Vanguard !
Mewtwo 2hko easily Chansey bold 252/252 with Psystrike, there is no need to CM. But still, I'll second Deo-A.

I'd like to center a team around SD+Sub "HAX" Garchomp.

Garchomp@Leftovers/Yache/Haban/blah blah blah
Jolly nature
252atk/252spe/6HP
~Swords Dance
~Outrage/D.Claw (D.Claw is SOOOO weak)
~Earthquake
~Substitute

I propose to use Subseed Shaymin-S mainly because Skymin is lacking on usage despite having some fun tools to work with:

Shaymin-S w/ Leftovers
Timid
4 HP| 252 SpA | Spe
Substitute
Leech Seed
Air Slash
Seed Flare

Shaymin-S appreciates support in the form of Thunderwave since it is countered by mostly pokemon holding Choice Scarf. Sleep status really helps against priority users. The best way to use Shaymin is to either use Seed Flare or Substitute on a predicted switch. Use Leech Seed if you see that the opponent carries Ho oh or Reshiram who can use Flame Charge on your sub and outspeed you in the next turn. Giratina appreciates the Leech Seed healing and can aid the team by burning physical attackers.

Go10

Storm Vanguard !
Mewtwo needs hazards or a CM to 2hko max/max Chansey; maxes at 45.3% without a boost

Also support of Rai
45-53, also, SR isnt the thing which is the most difficult to setup. Anyway, lets get it with Darkrai since everyone's already on it.

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm very glad to see this going and being active, I'll sum up the suggestions by tomorrow.
Poll should be up by Sunday!

I second on some sort of SD Garchomp.
Don't want to form team around darkrai, zekrom and etc when they are just everywhere.

No dude, no way, you'll never beat Ferrothorn one-one with ElecCeus, he'll just Thunder Wave, Leech Seed you to the death then go for another troublesome mons. This is the biggest reason that this MindCeus isnt played a lot and thats why I play him sometimes with 3 slot off.

Most hyped Arceus dude, most hyped.
Just wanted to say every Ferrothorn I've played has been stalled out with Recover + CM, and has been killed by a boosted Ice Beam (OHKOd at +4 though no smart player would let it get to that i would hope). I haven't seen many Ferrothorn with Thunder Wave tbh.

it's not necessarily overhyped if its good, but whatever

edit: Deo-a seems like a solid choice

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sold on Choice Specs Arceus to be honest. It seems gimmicky, and if wanted to stick Specs on a Pokemon it would more likely be Reshiram, Kyogre, or Dialga. They have superior coverage and firepower.
Well Specs Arceus' job is not to break down things through sheer power, but to lure in counters to the ExtremeKiller so other Pokemon can sweep.

Anyway, I like the Darkrai idea, I would like to see more people using the thing properly, although it would probably take more than just a team to show people how to do it. I also like the Sub/SD Garchomp suggestion, that thing really underrated and infuriating to face.

Actually, if we don't do Deoxys-A, then we should do either Darkrai or Mewtwo(BUT ONLY IF ITS LO -________-) ; it's always so fun to build a team around these super-offensive pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)