Data Phasing Myself Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
OK, so first things first, this is not a dissolution of the ASB.

What I'm trying to do with this thread is transfer more power to the community in a way that will still respect the spirit of the game and keep the community focus.

I really want more time to enjoy the great product we've worked out, and I can only do that through delegation. My chief concern over the last few months has been in getting the game up and running with a solid core. The game is now too developed and diverse to only have one autocratic head, so this thread will be devoted to sowing up loose ends.

Authorities I will retain:
Major Data Systems (Stats, STAB, Moves, CAP Data, etc.) hotfixes and implementation.
Staffing and General Moderation duties.
Rules Clarification, Enforcement, and Dispute Resolution.
Final Approval on significant changes related to any of the above.

Authorities this topic will be dedicated to delegating out:
Mechanism regarding control over new RP Approvals
Mechanism for structuring and maintaining the Gym League
Mechanism for finishing up the CAP Revamp Project
General Mechanisms for greater game autonomy (who can write SotGs, what changes need approval or not, etc.)

I already have a few ideas for taking care of these responsibilities. Effectively I'm looking for volunteers on each of the first three items in the delegation list, to deputize them permanently and make arrangements for the forum to be less centered on my authority. These people will be given authority to maintain those aspects of the forum / finish those projects.

Just wondering, but does is this to be saying that you're planning on quitting ASB in the near future? It doesn't look like it but I don't like surprises.
Mechanism regarding control over new RP Approvals
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now on a more serious not, I'd like to apply for this. I feel that I can focus enough to handle this and I'll be able to approve once a week minimum. Despite not being able to make a great full-proof post myself I'm able to critique with extreme detail (which makes me a bit of a hypocrite in that department). I have a very precise method of doing things in which is a bit like dissecting something, I pick apart little bits and critique them separately. Also I'm full of ideas myself and I feel that I can help improve the quality of RP's that come into ASB.
Mechanism for structuring and maintaining the Gym League
Correct me if I'm wrong, but i thought Kaxtar was in control here. He seemed to be calling the shots in the signup thread.
Mechanism for finishing up the CAP Revamp Project
I was wondering what was happening to this :P

The most important part of my post is the RP approval comment which I'm applying for. An idea of mine would be to make a 3 user commity so it wouldn't come down to singular taste or expectation. Just my two cents and hopefully you'll consider me.

PS: if you want, I can write a fully blown application as that was very short and not a format. if you want me two just shoot me a PM/VM.

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I know better than to sign up for this. Maybe if I'm still around in six months I'll consider myself ready for this sort of position.

That said, I can think of quite a few individuals who have the skills you want, and I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the same people I am. I sincerely hope they step forward and help carry the burden of running this fantastic game.

First, I want to say excellent job Deck over the last few months, CAP ASB is an extremely enjoyable experience thanks to your tireless effort.

Second, as much as I would like to sign up, I fear I don't have the skills or time needed.

Thanks for what you've done so far, DK. That being said, I offer my disponiility for any of the roles you plan to delegate. I think I have the skill to deal with any of them accordingly

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I would be happy to help with either the gym league or the CAP Revamp project. RPing is sadly not my forte; there are plenty of others more suited to that job than me.

First, thanks to Deck for his service, the game is very fun and, when my battles are moving along at a good clip, extremely addicting (refresh Smogon every 3 minutes to see if there's an update addicting).

Second, while RP and the revamp of CAP isn't something I'm likely qualified for, I'd love to help with GL maintenance if you'll have me. I assume duties include just general thread updates and a few balance tweaks with arenas, ect, and if this is the case I'm more than willing to do my part for ASB.

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
Willing to do anything, but I'd probably be best with Gym League if Kaxtar isn't doing it/needs help. I'm on a lot and can help, and I'm keen to get the Gym League up and running quickly and smoothly if possible.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
No, I'm not leaving. The OP makes it pretty clear I'm actually trying to free up time so I can play myself instead of micromanaging everything (I'll have enough on my plate finishing TLRs, really). Those days are over.

In any case I'm up for discussion of the mechanisms first. MB has put up for a 3 person RP approval committee (protip MB: research the spelling of the word you're trying to use. I don't think you want to know what a 3 person comity is in urban slang terms, just sayin'...)

Kaxtar is technically on top of that, but as you can see the last real post on it was made Oct. 15th, which means there's a hitch somewhere and that's usually shorthand for I haven't followed through on a judgement.

RP committee seems like a good idea. As for the SotG issues, I feel as if a major problem ever arises in the future, DarkSlay or SDS could post up a thread for discussion of the topic. However, a permanently running SotG may not be needed as only a handful of serious issues remain that could possibly be resolved in the next thread.

And I would be willing to help with RP approvals or pretty much anything.

Sad to see this day come Deck, but you really have made a wonder in ASB, and it is quite frankly the only thing keeping me around Smogon. So thank you for your service, it has honestly meant the world to me. At least you'll stick around for a long while yet.

Since I finally have the opportunity, I would like to take over the gym process. I have done most of the work already, and am ready to move ahead at any moment. All we're waiting on now is a consensus on which types to pick for Stage One rounds, and currently we need majority mod approval, which is very difficult to get atm becuase everyone is relatively inactive. Of course, if I were chosen to spearhead the Gyms, I would consult with other mods and respected members of ASB frequently; god knows I could never run a perfect system by myself.

As for the person who leads RPs, I would trust Engineer, Alchemator or Zarator most to that position. All have extensive RP experience, with Engineer and Zarator each owning an RP and helping out with many others, while Alch brings valuable Moderator experience (from Smeargle's Studio) to the table. I'd be happy with any of these three, and maybe others who I haven't considered.

For CAP revamps, I would actually like it if you yourself could finish these up, Deck. We only have 8 (iirc) left, so it shouldn't be too big a time commitment for you. I honestly only trust you with making final, unbiased decisions that significantly alter the game. If you needed help making the initial threads, though, I'm sure plenty of people could help you out.

Another thing that you haven't yet considered, Deck, is reffing. While Flora will forever be the Head Ref/Reffing Goddess, she has been very inactive as of late. I think should could use two assistants, both to shore up activity problems and cover more time zones for dealing with issues. IMO, Korski and Dogfish should get these spots. Both are super refs in terms of volume and quality, while they each are super active and cover a variety of time zones.

Finally, for STOG stuffs, I think the best battlers and brains combined of ASB should get these spots. SDS and DarkSlay have done a great job, but their activity is dwindling. Thus, I think some users who ref, battle, make good posts and generally know what they are oing should get the ability to make STOGs, and together by consult, make decisions on policy changes. Some such users would be Deadfox, iiMK, Athen, Terrador, SoS, DA8828, Lord Jesseus, Albinoloon, Flamestrike, Objection, and a few others I'm forgetting. You guys know what kind of users I'm talking about.

Hi.

Quite honestly, I don't consider myself qualified/realistically able to take over any of these projects.

I'm happy that we're finally getting a concrete structure on RP's, but I'm not active enough there to do it myself. I'm going to echo Kaxtar here and vote for either Engineer or zarator to lead this. While Alchemator is a very good ASB'er and brings valuable mod experience blah blah blah, he doesn't RP all that much.

As for gyms, kaxypoo Kaxtar has more or less taken over them already. I'm sure he will do a good job with them, but I think he should regularly consult with top ASB'ers (preferably those that don't have gyms) about policy.

As much as it pains me, I'm going to agree with Kaxtar here and say that Deck would be the best choice for finishing up the CAP revamps, as he has the most CAP experience. If he cannot, I would prefer somebody with a lot of CAP experience to do it.

Bye.

If you are delegating the CAP Revamp project, then I wholeheartedly volunteer to pick up where you left off. I am very enthusiastic about the revisiting of the first 11 CAPs and I will do the best in my ability to make sure the end result is a fair and balanced CAP.

Just chiming in to say that I'd be willing to take over the RP section as a whole, making my duty to check which RPs to approve or not. However, I also candidate myself to oversee the CAP revision process. You said you'd need a CAP expert for that - well, turns out I am^^ So yeah, you can count on me for that as well.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Aye, completely understandable. It's just come to a point where there's not much left to work out in terms of kinks and way more fun stuffs to take part in.

That being said, I'd be more than happy to take over the CAP Revamp Project. And, since I was originally going to handle the Gym League, I'm always open to help.

I'm also still available for writing and implementation of SotG's, if need be. Lately, SDS and I have kind of kicked back on the SotG's due to the current one being so long and the increase of "fiat" decisions, but I can have a new one up as shortly as the end of tomorrow.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Deck, you have made an awesome game, and if you want to lose some duties so that you can enjoy it, then I'm sure everyone would agree that you deserve the chance to do so.

That being said, I don't think I am qualified to do much, at least as far as leading things. However, if anybody could use some help with things, I am more than willing to lend a hand.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Obligatory Thanks to Deck for all he's done. Without him, most opf us wouldn't be where we are at the moment, so thanks to him.

As much as I would like to, I'm afraid I'm too busy to help out with the Gyms/RP/etc. Exams coming up & whatnot means I'll have to put more time in them. But yeah. Thanks Deck for everything.

Although I don't think I'm the kind of user that could be spearheading any of those three projects, I'd like to note that I'm willing to volunteer for pretty much anything if you guys want me.

I've reconsidered my earlier statement that I won't put myself forward.

I am willing to assist in the general game autonomy, SotG etc, and I'm willing to get much more involved in the community with that, especially on IRC.

As for the CAP Revamp, it goes without saying that someone experienced in CAP is essential to spearhead the project. I second Zarator for this if Deck's not willing to do it himself - Playtesting Expert and all that. And Zarator is an awesome user.

Deck is a boss.

Anything anyone can do to ease his workload would be nice, myself included. Both Zarator and Darkslay seem highly qualified for the CaP Revamp overseer.

I don't really have the time to help out a whole lot unfortunately, but I definitely wouldn't mind helping out with gyms when I am around (though it doesn't seem like many people agree with my way of thinking as far as they're concerned). I have a vested interest in the competitive aspects of ASB so I feel it'd be a good fit for me.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Agreeing with most of the other sentiments.

I'm willing to help with most anything, especially things in the reffing department. I'd also be willing to work with the Gyms if help is desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)