Koffing (Analysis) [GP 1/2]

Many credits go to Elevator Music's skeleton!

QC [2/2]: Heysup; Moo
GP [1/2]: Comatthew6

[Overview]

<p>Koffing hasn't changed much this generation, but it did gain access to Clear Smog. Clear Smog has granted Koffing a new niche because it allows Koffing to effectively stop physical boosting sweepers. This, along with his great defense stat, resistance to the common Fighting-type attacks, and Will-O-Wisp, makes Smogon's mascot a great physical wall. However, all is not good for the Poison Gas Pokemon. Koffing has a lack of reliable recovery, which is a huge flaw for any defensive Pokemon because it limits its survivability. Koffing's average HP and Special Defense stats aren't good news either. Overall, though, Koffing should be considered for any team having problems with physical sweepers.</p>

[SET]
name: RestTalk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Clear Smog
move 4: Will-O-Wisp
item: Eviolite
nature: Bold
evs: 196 HP / 236 Def / 76 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The purpose of this set is to wall physical sweepers throughout the entire match. Clear Smog stops sweepers in their tracks, ridding them of any boosts they have. Scraggy, Drilbur, and Timburr are examples of sweepers that Clear Smog will halt. Will-O-Wisp can permanently cripple most physical Pokemon, such as Mienfoo and Croagunk, which can greatly aid your team. And though Rest isn't the most reliable type of recovery, it does fully restore Koffing's HP and remove status. Sleep Talk is almost always mandatory alongside Rest, because it allows Koffing to actually do something while it's asleep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>There are a variety of options Koffing can choose to use over Will-O-Wisp. Stockpile can be used to boost Koffing's defenses, making it much harder to take down. Using Flamethrower or Fire Blast gives Koffing a way to deal with Ferroseed and other Steel-types who are immune to Clear Smog, such as Magnemite. If you want Koffing to be able to deal a good amount of damage, Sludge Bomb is viable, but it leaves Koffing useless against the likes of Pawniard, Aron, and other Steel-types. Bulky waters such as Slowpoke can be troublesome for this set because they don't mind taking a Clear Smog or being burned. Toxic or Thunderbolt can be used to deal with them more easily. Finally, Explosion is an option for Koffing to sacrifice itself and deal a huge amount of damage after it has served its purpose in the match.</p>

<p>Koffing has trouble taking hits from special side, so walls such as Munchlax, Ferroseed, and Lileep are fantastic partners for Koffing. They all can easily take special attacks and their Fighting weakness is covered by Koffing. Entry hazards are great if you plan to use Koffing, because Koffing forces many switches during a match. Lileep and Ferroseed can both set up entry hazards while also sponging the special attacks aimed at Koffing. Any Pokemon that benefits from the removal of Fighting-types also makes great partners. Aron, Deino, and Pawniard all have an easier time sweeping with Fighting-types removed. Since this Koffing uses Rest, a cleric such as Chinchou or Lickitung can be considered because of the new sleep mechanics introduced in this generation.</p>

[SET]
name: Pain Split
move 1: Pain Split
move 2: Clear Smog
move 3: Will-O-Wisp
move 4: Fire Blast / Sludge Bomb
evs: 196 HP / 76 Def / 236 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set plays in a similar way to the above set as it's meant to wall physical sweepers, mainly Fighting-types. Instead of Rest, however, Pain Split is the chosen form of recovery. While Pain Split doesn't generally restore as much health as other forms of recovery, it does take away the HP of opposing Pokemon (unless they have less HP than you do) which is always helpful. Using Pain Split also means that Koffing doesn't need to use Sleep Talk, meaning an extra move slot is open. Fire Blast is the favorable choice, hitting Ferroseed, Pawniard, Bronzor, and other Steel-types for supereffective damage. However, you can chose to opt for Sludge Bomb as a stronger stronger STAB move instead. Thunderbolt is also an option, hitting things like Taillow, Doduo, and Slowpoke harder. Clear Smog strips set-up sweepers of their boosts, while Will-O-Wisp makes most physical Pokemon useless.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Similar to the last set, Koffing appreciates teammates that can take special attacks. Munchlax, Ferroseed, Lileep, and Mantyke are all great special walls. Entry hazard support works nicely with Koffing because it tends to force many switches. Again, Lileep and Ferroseed are good partners for Koffing. Pokemon that enjoy the removal of Fighting-types make fantastic teammates. Munchlax, Pawniard, and Scraggy are all good examples.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Koffing doesn't have much else it can work with. It can make a decent Choice Scarf user and revenge killer because of its great offensive movepool and coverage. Stockpile can be used to turn Koffing into a very bulky, almost unbreakable wall, but without reliable recovery it isn't very effective. Koffing can also try running a set with Curse and Gyro Ball, but its physical movepool is very lacking. Finally, Memento can be used for team support, but aside from that, Koffing doesn't have other support options.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Countering Koffing is fairly simple. Any powerful special attacker can 2HKO it, if not OHKO it. Abra outspeeds and OHKOs Koffing with STAB Psychic. Staryu also outspeeds and does huge amounts of damage with Hydro Pump. Magnemite hits hard with Thunderbolt or Volt Switch, but must be wary of Fire Blast or Flamethrower. Chinchou, Gastly, Houndour, Omanyte, and other special attackers work as well. However, most of the time, Koffing will have a teammate that can sponge special attacks, so be prepared. Countering Koffing with physical Pokemon doesn't work most of the time, but if Koffing isn't running a Fire-type move, Pawniard of Aron can easily switch in a set up on it.</p>

That was fast :o I guess it's because EM did most of the work ;)

Thank you! I'll get this written ASAP.

Pokemon that benefit from the removal of Fighting-types or physical attackers in general.
Idk who to put here >.<
Scraggy. Komatana (the dark/steel thing dunno what it is). Munchlax (Munchfing is pro combo). Lileep. Snover.

Either slash Sludge Bomb with Fire Blast or put it in OC. It's stronger and hits stuff you normally wouldn't, like bulky waters and etc. Fire Blast is still better though.

Also mention Toxic.

And Explosion! I love Explosion.

Mention Scarf, it has decent coverage. And Explosion.

Haze for hitting Steels like Komatana and, uh, that's it.

Destiny Bond and Memento are pro.

It gets Curse too, but coverage is horrible.

Screech forces switches I guess.

Scraggy. Komatana (the dark/steel thing dunno what it is). Munchlax (Munchfing is pro combo). Lileep. Snover.

Either slash Sludge Bomb with Fire Blast or put it in OC. It's stronger and hits stuff you normally wouldn't, like bulky waters and etc. Fire Blast is still better though.

Also mention Toxic.

And Explosion! I love Explosion.

Mention Scarf, it has decent coverage. And Explosion.

Haze for hitting Steels like Komatana and, uh, that's it.

Destiny Bond and Memento are pro.

It gets Curse too, but coverage is horrible.

Screech forces switches I guess.
Thanks! I'll mention all of this and hopefully write this up by the end of the week. :]

Edit: I'll get this written soon, hopefully over the weekend if I'm not busy.

Edit: Sorry for taking sooo long... I'm hoping to get this done this weekend; I was busy last weekend :x

I'm not a GP checker, but I noticed that a few times throughout the analysis you referred to Koffing as him. Since it also can be female, shouldn't it be referred to as "it"?

I know it can be female as well, but "it" doesn't sound nice to me xD I'll ask one of the GP members if I should change that once I finish writing it.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Actually you do have to use it unless it's a specific gender Pokemon.

I've finished writing this up! Sorry for the long wait. I kind of rushed though >.<

Also, the AC for the second set is a bit short but I wasn't sure what else to add in. Any suggestions before this is GPd?

No mention of Thunderbolt? Guts Brave Bird from Jolly Taillow is only a 4HKO for the Pain Split set:

236Atk Guts lvl 5 Taillow (Neutral) Brave Bird vs 196HP/76Def Eviolite Levitate lvl 5 Koffing (+Def): 30% - 43% (7 - 10 HP). Guaranteed 4HKO.

And a Thunderbolt back is a OHKO:

0SpAtk lvl 5 Koffing (Neutral) Thunderbolt vs 36HP/0SpDef lvl 5 Taillow (Neutral): 105% - 126% (20 - 24 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

Maybe AC?

You loose the ability to hit SE Steel Types but the only thing you can fear from common steel types is Bronzor's Psychic; Thunderbolt has better accuracy than Fire Blast and better coverage to hit all the flying types who roam freely in the tier.

EDIT: My bad, forgot about Magnemite.

DOUBLE EDIT: And again, my bad:

236Atk Guts poisoned lvl 5 Taillow (Neutral) Brave Bird vs 196HP/236Def Levitate lvl 5 Koffing (+Def): 65% - 78% (15 - 18 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

Sorry... Revenge kill for sure.

While I'm in this:

Sludge Bomb and Fire Blast both fail to hit as hard; Taillow MAY die from poison afterwards...

No mention of Thunderbolt? Guts Brave Bird from Jolly Taillow is only a 4HKO for the Pain Split set:

236Atk Guts lvl 5 Taillow (Neutral) Brave Bird vs 196HP/76Def Eviolite Levitate lvl 5 Koffing (+Def): 30% - 43% (7 - 10 HP). Guaranteed 4HKO.

And a Thunderbolt back is a OHKO:

0SpAtk lvl 5 Koffing (Neutral) Thunderbolt vs 36HP/0SpDef lvl 5 Taillow (Neutral): 105% - 126% (20 - 24 HP). Guaranteed OHKO.

Maybe AC?
I guess it does deserve a mention, but Clear Smog or Fire Blast/Flamethrower probably does a good amount of damage anyways. I'll briefly mention it in AC on both sets.

Also, is that calculation factoring in a Guts boost for Taillow? I don't think it is, but if it is then Koffing is bulkier than I thought o_o

Additions
Deletions
Comments

[Overview]

<p>Koffing hasn't changed much this with the transition to the fifth generation, but it did gain access to Clear Smog. Clear Smog has granted Koffing a new niche because it allows Koffing it to effectively stop physical boosting set-up sweepers. This, along with his great defense stat, resistance to the common Fighting-type attacks, and Will-O-Wisp, makes Smogon's mascot a great physical wall. However, all is not good for the Poison Gas Pokemon (we decided to get rid of the thing above the e). Koffing has a lack of reliable recovery, which is a huge flaw for any defensive Pokemon because it limits its their survivability. Koffing's average HP and Special Defense stats aren't good news either. Overall, though, Koffing should be considered for any team having problems with physical sweepers.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The purpose of this set is to wall physical sweepers and survive throughout the entire match. Clear Smog stops sweepers in their tracks, ridding them of any boosts they have. Scraggy, Drilbur, and Timburr are examples of sweepers that Clear Smog will halt. Will-O-Wisp can permanently cripple most physical Pokemon, such as Mienfoo and Croagunk, which can greatly aid your team. And Even though Rest isn't the most reliable type of recovery, it does fully restore Koffing's HP and remove status. Sleep Talk is almost always mandatory alongside Rest, because it allows Koffing to actually do something while it's asleep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>There are a variety of options Koffing can choose to use over Will-O-Wisp. Stockpile can be used to boost Koffing's defenses, making it much harder to take down. Using Flamethrower or Fire Blast gives Koffing a way to deal with Ferroseed and other Steel-types who are immune to Clear Smog, such as Magnemite. If you want Koffing to be able to deal a good amount of damage, Sludge Bomb is viable, but it leaves Koffing useless against the likes of Pawniard, Aron, and other Steel-types (what about Will-O-Wisp? It cripples these Pokemon). Bulky waters such as Slowpoke can be troublesome for this set because they don't mind taking a Clear Smog or being burned. Toxic or Thunderbolt can be used to deal with them more easily. Finally, Explosion is an option for Koffing to sacrifice itself and deal a huge amount of damage after it has served its purpose in the match.</p>

<p>Koffing has trouble taking hits from special side, so walls such as Munchlax, Ferroseed, and Lileep are fantastic partners for Koffing. They all can easily take special attacks and their Fighting weakness is covered by Koffing. Entry hazards are great if you plan to use Koffing, because Koffing forces many switches during a match. Lileep and Ferroseed can both set up entry hazards while also sponging the special attacks aimed at Koffing. Any Pokemon that benefits from the removal of Fighting-types also makes great partners. Aron, Deino, and Pawniard all have an easier time sweeping with Fighting-types removed. Since this Koffing uses Rest, a cleric such as Chinchou or Lickitung can be considered because of the new sleep mechanics introduced in this generation.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set plays in a similar way to the above set as it's meant to wall physical sweepers, mainly Fighting-types. Instead of Rest, however, Pain Split is the chosen form of recovery. While Pain Split doesn't generally restore as much health as other forms of recovery, it does take away the HP of opposing Pokemon (unless they have less HP than (tsk tsk) you do) which is always helpful. Using Pain Split also means that Koffing doesn't need to use Sleep Talk, meaning an extra move slot is open. Fire Blast is the favorable choice, hitting Ferroseed, Pawniard, Bronzor, and other Steel-types for supereffective damage. However, you can chose to opt for Sludge Bomb as a stronger instead for a stronger STAB move instead. Thunderbolt is also an option, hitting things like Taillow, Doduo, and Slowpoke harder. Clear Smog strips set-up sweepers of their boosts, while Will-O-Wisp makes most physical Pokemon useless.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Similar to the last set, Koffing appreciates teammates that can take special attacks. Munchlax, Ferroseed, Lileep, and Mantyke are all great special walls. Entry hazard support works nicely with Koffing because it tends to force many switches. Again, Lileep and Ferroseed are good partners for Koffing. Pokemon that enjoy the removal of Fighting-types make fantastic teammates. Munchlax, Pawniard, and Scraggy are all good examples.</p>

(Maybe you can go into a little more detail about the differences between this set and the last set, as well as differentiating it from other physical walls, i.e. Slowpoke)

[Other Options]

<p>Koffing doesn't have much else it can work with. It can make a decent Choice Scarf user and revenge killer because of its great offensive movepool and coverage. Stockpile can be used to turn Koffing into a very bulky, almost unbreakable wall (but....). Koffing can also try running a set with Curse and Gyro Ball, but its physical movepool is very lacking. Finally, Memento can be used for team support, but aside from that, Koffing doesn't have other support options.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Countering Koffing is fairly simple. Any powerful special attacker can 2HKO it, if not OHKO it. Abra outspeeds and OHKOs Koffing with STAB Psychic. Staryu also outspeeds and does huge amounts of damage with Hydro Pump. Magnemite hits hard with Thunderbolt or Volt Switch, but must be wary of Fire Blast or Flamethrower. Chinchou, Gastly, Houndour, Omanyte, and other special attackers work as well. However, most of the time, Koffing will have a teammate that can sponge special attacks, so be prepared. Countering Koffing with physical Pokemon doesn't work most of the time, but if Koffing isn't running a Fire-type move, Pawniard of Aron can easily switch in a set up on it.</p>

Not a bad job at all.

GP APPROVED 1/2

If you want Koffing to be able to deal a good amount of damage, Sludge Bomb is viable, but it leaves Koffing useless against the likes of Pawniard, Aron, and other Steel-types (what about Will-O-Wisp? It cripples these Pokemon).
Yeah, but I was explaining if you were to use Sludge Bomb instead of Will-O-Wisp, so therefor you wouldn't have WoW :P

Thank you for the GP check! :)

Edit: Sorry, I'm not sure how to compare the two sets in AC. :/

Like, what would I say? I know the first set will probably survive a lot longer than the Pain Split set, but what could I say other than the Pain Split set exchanges survivability for coverage? Or, is the AC for the second set good enough?

Edit: Sorry, I'm not sure how to compare the two sets in AC. :/

Like, what would I say? I know the first set will probably survive a lot longer than the Pain Split set, but what could I say other than the Pain Split set exchanges survivability for coverage? Or, is the AC for the second set good enough?[/QUOTE]

Differentiate it from other physical walls first. Example: how is it different from say, Slowpoke and Ferroseed? (answer: beats Scraggy). Also, why is it different from the first set (yes, survivability if that's a word for coverage)

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add
Remove
Comment

[Overview]

<p>Koffing hasn't changed much this generation, but it did gain access to Clear Smog. Clear Smog has granted Koffing a new niche because it allows Koffing to effectively stop physical boosting sweepers. This, along with his its great Defense, stat, resistance to the common Fighting-type attacks, and Will-O-Wisp, makes Smogon's mascot a great physical wall. However, all is not good for the Poison Gas Pokemon. Koffing has a lack of reliable recovery, which is a huge flaw for any defensive Pokemon because it limits its survivability. Koffing's average mediocre (average isn't really "bad news") HP and Special Defense stats aren't good news either. Overall, though, Koffing should be considered for any team having problems with physical sweepers.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The purpose of this set is to wall physical sweepers throughout the entire match. Clear Smog stops sweepers in their tracks, preventing them from setting up. ridding them of any boosts they have Scraggy, Drilbur, and Timburr are examples of sweepers that Clear Smog will halt. Will-O-Wisp can permanently cripple most physical Pokemon, such as Mienfoo and Croagunk, which can greatly aid your team. And though Rest isn't the most reliable type of recovery, it does fully restore Koffing's HP and remove status. Sleep Talk is almost always mandatory alongside Rest, because it allows Koffing to actually do something while it's asleep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>There are is a variety of options that Koffing can choose to use over Will-O-Wisp. Stockpile can be used to boost Koffing's defenses, making it much harder to take down. Using Flamethrower or Fire Blast gives Koffing a way to deal with Ferroseed and other Steel-types who are immune to Clear Smog, such as Magnemite. If you want Koffing to be able to deal a good amount of damage, Sludge Bomb is viable, but it leaves renders Koffing useless against the likes of Pawniard, Aron, and other Steel-types. Bulky Water-types such as Slowpoke can be troublesome for this set because they don't mind taking a Clear Smog or being burned. Toxic or Thunderbolt can be used to deal with them more easily with ease. Finally, Explosion is an option for Koffing to sacrifice itself and deal a huge amount decent chunk (explosion nerfed :<) of damage after it has served its purpose in the match.</p>

<p>Koffing has trouble taking hits special attacks from special side, so walls such asMunchlax, Ferroseed, and Lileep are fantastic partners. for Koffing. They all can easily take special attacks and their Fighting-type weakness is covered by Koffing. Entry hazards are great if you plan to use Koffing, because Koffing it forces many switches during a match. Lileep and Ferroseed can both set up entry hazards while also sponging the special attacks aimed at Koffing. Any Pokemon that benefits from the removal of Fighting-types also makes great partners. Aron, Deino, and Pawniard all have an easier time sweeping with Fighting-types removed. Since this Koffing uses Rest, a cleric such asChinchou or Lickitung can be considered because of the new sleep mechanics introduced in this generation are a great hindrance.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set plays in a similar way to the above set as it's meant to wall physical sweepers, mainly Fighting-types. (You shouldn't mention other sets) Instead of Rest, however, Pain Split is the chosen form of recovery. While Pain Split doesn't generally restore as much health as other forms of recovery, it does take away the HP of opposing Pokemon (unless they have less HP thanyou do) (obvious) which is always helpful. Using Pain Split also means that Koffing doesn't need to use Sleep Talk, meaning an extra move slot is open freeing up one of its moveslots. Fire Blast is the favorable choice, hitting Ferroseed, Pawniard, Bronzor, and other Steel-types for super effective damage. However, you can chose to opt for Sludge Bomb as a stronger stronger STAB move instead. Thunderbolt is also an option, hitting Pokemon things like Taillow, Doduo, and Slowpoke harder. Clear Smog strips set-up sweepers of their boosts, while Will-O-Wisp makes most physical attackers Pokemon useless.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Similar to the last set, (don't compare it to other sets) Koffing appreciates teammates that can take special attacks. Munchlax, Ferroseed, Lileep, and Mantyke are all great special walls. Entry hazard support works nicely with Koffing because it tends to force many switches. Again, Lileep and Ferroseed are good partners for Koffing. Pokemon that enjoy the removal of Fighting-types make fantastic teammates. Munchlax, Pawniard, and Scraggy are all good examples.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Koffing doesn't have much else it can work with. It reaches 14 Speed and can make a decent Choice Scarf user and revenge killer because of its great offensive movepool and coverage. Stockpile can be used to turn Koffing into a very bulky, almost unbreakable wall, but without reliable recovery, it isn't very effective. Koffing can also try running a set with Curse and Gyro Ball, but its physical movepool is very lacking. Finally, Memento can be used for team support, but aside from that, Koffing doesn't have many other support options.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Countering Koffing is fairly simple. Any powerful special attacker can 2HKO, it if not OHKO it. Abra outspeeds and OHKOs Koffing with STAB Psychic. Staryu also outspeeds and does a huge amounts of damage with Hydro Pump. Magnemite hits hard with Thunderbolt or Volt Switch, but must be wary of Fire Blast or Flamethrower. Chinchou, Gastly, Houndour, Omanyte, and other special attackers will all do massive amounts of damage to Koffing. work as well However, most of the time, Koffing will have a teammate that can sponge special attacks. , so be prepared. Countering Koffing with physical Pokemon doesn't work most of the time, but if Koffing isn't running a Fire-type attack move or Will-O-Wisp, Pawniard of Aron can easily switch in a set up on it.</p>

• nvm i got mixed up, use "such as"
  • Wasn't that bad, but sometimes I just got rid of a certain part because I felt that it could've been said better
  • There were a few spacing errors, so if something is blue'd and you don't know why, it was probably an added space
  • After you write something, take a look over it a few days later, and you'll probably spot some mistakes.

GP APPROVED 2/2

[Overview]

<p>Koffing hasn't changed much this generation, but it did gain access to Clear Smog. Clear Smog has granted Koffing a new niche because it allows Koffing to effectively stop boosting sweepers. This, along with its great Defense, resistance to common Fighting-type attacks, and Will-O-Wisp, makes Smogon's mascot a great physical wall. However, all is not good for the Poison Gas Pokemon. Koffing has a lack of reliable recovery, which is a huge flaw for any defensive Pokemon because it limits its survivability. Koffing's mediocre HP and Special Defense stats aren't good news either. Overall, Koffing should be considered for any team having problems with physical sweepers.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The purpose of this set is to wall physical sweepers throughout the entire match. Clear Smog stops sweepers in their tracks, preventing them from setting up. Scraggy, Drilbur, and Timburr are examples of sweepers that Clear Smog will halt. Will-O-Wisp can permanently cripple most physical Pokemon, such as Mienfoo and Croagunk, which can greatly aid your team. And though Rest isn't the most reliable type of recovery, it does fully restore Koffing's HP and remove status. Sleep Talk is almost always mandatory alongside Rest, because it allows Koffing to actually do something while it's asleep.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>There is a variety of options that Koffing can choose to use over Will-O-Wisp. Stockpile can be used to boost Koffing's defenses, making it much harder to take down. Using Flamethrower or Fire Blast gives Koffing a way to deal with Ferroseed and other Steel-types who are immune to Clear Smog, such as Magnemite. If you want Koffing to be able to deal a good amount of damage, Sludge Bomb is viable, but it renders Koffing useless against the likes of Pawniard, Aron, and other Steel-types. Bulky Water-types such as Slowpoke can be troublesome for this set because they don't mind taking a Clear Smog or being burned. Toxic or Thunderbolt can be used to deal with them with ease. Finally, Explosion is an option for Koffing to sacrifice itself and deal a decent chunk of damage after it has served its purpose in the match.</p>

<p>Koffing has trouble taking hits special attacks, so walls such asMunchlax, Ferroseed, and Lileep are fantastic partners. They can easily take special attacks and their Fighting-type weakness is covered by Koffing. Entry hazards are great if you plan to use Koffing, because it forces many switches during a match. Lileep and Ferroseed can both set up entry hazards while also sponging special attacks aimed at Koffing. Any Pokemon that benefit from the removal of Fighting-types also makes great partners. Aron, Deino, and Pawniard all have an easier time sweeping with Fighting-types removed. Since this Koffing uses Rest, a cleric such asChinchou or Lickitung can be considered because the new sleep mechanics introduced in this generation are a hindrance.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set plays in a similar way to the above set as it's meant to wall physical sweepers, mainly Fighting-types. Instead of Rest, Pain Split is the chosen form of recovery. While Pain Split doesn't generally restore as much health as other forms of recovery, it does take away the HP of opposing Pokemon which is always helpful. Using Pain Split also means that Koffing doesn't need to use Sleep Talk, freeing up one of its moveslots. Fire Blast is the favorable choice, hitting Ferroseed, Pawniard, Bronzor, and other Steel-types for super effective damage. However, you can chose Sludge Bomb as a stronger STAB move instead. Thunderbolt is also an option, hitting Pokemon like Taillow, Doduo, and Slowpoke harder. Clear Smog strips set-up sweepers of their boosts, while Will-O-Wisp makes most physical attackers useless.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Koffing appreciates teammates that can take special attacks. Munchlax, Ferroseed, Lileep, and Mantyke are all great special walls. Entry hazard support works nicely with Koffing because it tends to force many switches. Again, Lileep and Ferroseed are good partners for Koffing. Pokemon that enjoy the removal of Fighting-types make fantastic teammates. Munchlax, Pawniard, and Scraggy are all good examples.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Koffing doesn't have much else it can work with. It reaches 14 Speed and can make a Choice Scarf user and revenge killer because of its great offensive movepool and coverage. Stockpile can be used to turn Koffing into a very bulky, almost unbreakable wall, but without reliable recovery, it isn't very effective. Koffing can also try running a set with Curse and Gyro Ball, but its physical movepool is very lacking. Finally, Memento can be used for team support, but aside from that, Koffing doesn't have many other support options.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Countering Koffing is fairly simple. Any powerful special attacker can 2HKO, if not OHKO it. Abra outspeeds and OHKOs Koffing with STAB Psychic. Staryu also outspeeds and does a huge amount of damage with Hydro Pump. Magnemite hits hard with Thunderbolt or Volt Switch, but must be wary of Fire Blast or Flamethrower. Chinchou, Gastly, Houndour, Omanyte, and other special attackers will all do massive amounts of damage to Koffing. However, most of the time, Koffing will have a teammate that can sponge special attacks. Countering Koffing with physical Pokemon doesn't work most of the time, but if Koffing isn't running a Fire-type attack or Will-O-Wisp, Pawniard of Aron can easily switch in a set up on it.</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)