Dragonair (Analysis)

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Shed Skin, Dragon Dance, and the permission to use Eviolite? I'm interested. Though Dragonair doesn't have much of a presence in RU due to the amount of "leftover" threats there, I believe he does a great job of sweeping there nevertheless.

QC Approvals (3/3): (Oglemi) (Honko) (Windsong)

GP Approvals (2/2): (November Blue + Snorlaxe) (Omicron)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

My big bro's the King of OU! I hope to be like him someday!

[Overview]

<p>As its NFE status implies, Dragonair should not be expected to strike fear into its opponent's hearts just by appearing in Team Preview (unlike its evolution), mostly because its only practical role in the RU metagame is one thing, and one thing only: Dragon Dance sweeping. Fortunately, despite its admittedly average stats, Dragonair can distinguish itself from other attackers with its exceptional Dragon typing. As a special note, the generation shift granted Dragonair a gift in Eviolite, which gives it a golden opportunity to be a viable defensive sweeper in RU. Although its options are pretty limited outside of Dragon Dance, being able to boost both its Attack and Speed at once is always a valuable asset in an environment that lacks solid Dragon Dance users, or Dragon-types, for that matter.</p>

[SET]
name: Defensive Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Rest
move 3: Outrage
move 4: Dragon Tail / Waterfall
item: Eviolite
ability: Shed Skin
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>It's not very often one sees a bulky boosting sweeper in the predominantly offensive RU metagame. Dragonair, however, can fulfill this role successfully thanks to its typing which gives it a few resistances and only two weaknesses, access to Dragon Dance and Shed Skin, and boosted defenses via the Eviolite. The key to using Dragonair, however, is to be conservative; only attempt a sweep when you have eliminated any opposing powerhouses, as Dragonair's bulk isn't exactly game-breaking. The most efficient way to start the sweep is to switch Dragonair into something that can't hurt it significantly, which applies mostly to Grass-, Electric-, Fire-, and Water-types, as well as defensive Pokemon in general, such as Munchlax, Cofagrigus, and Rotom-C.</p>

<p>Dragonair's primary focus is attaining multiple Dragon Dance boosts while the opponent attempts to respond (likely by using status or switching in a check). Status is nothing to worry about as far as Shed Skin is concerned, so feel free to set up on any predicted status except sleep. If Dragonair sustains a major amount of damage, simply use Rest to recover. Do not be over-reliant on Rest, however, as Shed Skin only has a 30% activation rate. Once Dragonair has secured a number of boosts, simply lash out with Outrage. Though somewhat unreliable, Outrage can put huge dents in anything that is not extremely bulky, or a Steel-type.<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The last slot is essentially filler; courtesy of its limited movepool, Dragonair has little else to use on this set besides Dragon Tail and Waterfall. Although Dragon Tail's negative priority may seem to contradict Dragon Dance's Speed boosts, it ensures that Dragonair cannot be phazed out. After a Speed boost, Dragonair is faster than all of the usual Roar, Dragon Tail, and Whirlwind users in the metagame, so in a phazing war, Dragonair will almost always come out on top. On the other hand, Waterfall is an alternative for coverage against Steel-type Pokemon bar Ferroseed, though its relative lack of power even after a boost or two is rather unappealing.</p>

<p>Dragonair thrives on defensive investment, and because of the populace of special attackers with resisted attacks in RU, Dragonair should be specially defensive with a Careful nature. If investing in Speed seems worthwhile, a good benchmark would be 96 EVs in Speed, which allows Dragonair to outspeed all neutral base 50 Pokemon before the Dragon Dance boost. Additionally, you may consider some Attack investment so that Dragonair isn't completely reliant on Dragon Dance for power; without investment, Dragonair only has a small chance of OHKOing Entei with three Attack boosts. With maximized Attack, however, it has a chance to do so with only two boosts, which comes at the cost of being significantly less bulky.</p>

<p>Avoid using Dragonair early to mid-game; despite Dragonair's self-sufficiency with this set, it requires some offensive support to bypass its checks and counters. Ferroseed is an example of such an obstacle amongst other bulky Steel-type Pokemon, capable of annoying Dragonair with Leech Seed and continued attacks while resisting every attack this set utilizes. Thus, using offensive Pokemon with Fire- or Fighting-type attacks, such as Medicham or mixed Honchkrow, is recommended. As a special mention, Magneton is a straightforward way to deal with Steel-types, courtesy of its defensive typing and Magnet Pull ability. If Waterfall is chosen, also be sure to eliminate foes with phazing moves prior to set-up, which can can identified with Team Preview.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive Dragon Dance
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Aqua Tail / Waterfall
move 4: ExtremeSpeed
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>In addition to being one of the few usable defensive sweepers in RU, Dragonair is one of the tier's only offensive Dragon Dance sweepers, with its only notable competition being Feraligatr. After a single boost in conjunction with Life Orb, Dragonair has the potential to tear teams apart. Unlike its fellow Dragon Dance user, Dragonair boasts an advantage in its Dragon typing, which is useful both offensively and defensively. Dragonair also has a powerful STAB attack in Outrage, which provides raw power and coverage against everything but Steel-types, which are covered by Dragonair's chosen Water-type move. Dragonair can choose either Waterfall or Aqua Tail; again, a power versus accuracy dilemma. This alone makes Dragonair a hard attacker to beat, seeing as it can break through threats with Outrage's sheer power and exceptional coverage.</p>

<p>On top of this, Dragonair has been graced with the rare ExtremeSpeed, which allows Dragonair to beat revenge killers and other priority users, especially the omnipresent Sucker Punch Honchkrow. As a small bonus, Shed Skin gives Dragonair a "second chance" to function if status happens to get in the way, though relying on it is highly inadvisable due to Dragonair's decreased bulk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A simple offensive spread with maximized Attack and Speed and an Adamant nature is the best choice. Simply put, the Speed investment prevents Dragonair from being revenge killed by the odd +1 Pokemon, and also allows Dragonair to outrun positive-natured base 105 Speed Pokemon after a boost, so investing in bulk is hardly necessary. A Jolly nature is also optimal if you wish for Dragonair to outspeed positive-natured base 125s after a Dragon Dance, though obviously, this comes at the cost of power.</p>

<p>Initially, Dragonair may find it difficult to set up because of its sub-par defenses, so taking advantage of an opportunity to switch in and sweep is quite a task. Ideally, Dragonair should switch in after one of its teammates has fainted to increase its time on the field. Another way to open setup opportunities is by using Pokemon with crippling strategies at hand, ranging from Encore to status to Choice Tricking. Lopunny is particularly skilled at using both Encore and Trick, while Lilligant and Tangrowth can shut down a foe with Sleep Powder. Dragonair can also set up on most defensive Pokemon such as Munchlax, as many of them are predominantly non-offensive, and are severely damaged by a +1 Outrage. Don't be greedy with the number of turns Dragonair has earned, however, as the damage and recoil can accumulate at a fast pace. It is also advisable to stack Dragonair with other offensive teammates if it finds itself down early in the game.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Dragonair is the antithesis of its more versatile and powerful evolution; Dragonair unfortunately lacks the options, let alone certain stats, to do what Dragonite would do to make an impact. In short, the few options Dragonair does have are limited by unimpressive stats. For instance, Dragonair can make use of some useful special attacks such as Dragon Pulse, Draco Meteor, and basic coverage moves including Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Surf. However, its low Special Attack, even when invested, hinders the effectiveness of these moves quite a bit. The only other notable physical attacks are Dragon Rush and Aqua Jet, but both are hard to fit on either Dragon Dance set due to redundancy (and accuracy in Dragon Rush's case).</p>

<p>Dragonair is more affluent in support moves, but more often than not, its only decent bulk and lack of reliable recovery will let it down in more defensive roles. Dragonair's hidden ability, Marvel Scale, isn't of much use because of the limitations that come with it, such as the lack of Sleep Talk (so any chance of using the RestTalk combination is out of the question). As for support moves, Haze, Thunder Wave, and Safeguard are certainly useful options. Light Screen can prove useful on the defensive Dragon Dance set, granting Dragonair easier setup against special attacks while allowing it to invest more in physical Defense.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>When facing Dragonair, the best thing to do is strike it down with force. With or without Eviolite, Dragonair is only decently bulky, and much frailer on the physical side. For instance, Entei has a chance to 2HKO +1 252/0 Dragonair with Flare Blitz, factoring in Life Orb and Stealth Rock damage. If the prospect of a healthy boosted Dragonair is frightening, certain bulky Pokemon such as Ferroseed, Tangrowth, and Hariyama will have little trouble taking some boosted attacks (in moderation). Keep in mind, however, that attempting to stop Dragonair with status may be a wasted effort because of Shed Skin. Quagsire in particular is one of the best counters to Dragonair, as it will be Unaware of Dragonair's boosts, and can wear the dragon down with consecutive Earthquakes. In a worst-case scenario, priority users and Choice Scarf Pokemon with a base Speed of at least 55 can still revenge kill Dragonair successfully, the most notable being Honchkrow, Medicham, and Krookodile.</p>

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Man, to bad it can't have Sleep Talk with Marvel Scale. That might have been good, who knows?

[SET]
move 2: Dragon Rush / Outrage
move 3: Dragon Tail / Waterfall
move 4: Rest
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Outrage should be listed first, since it has the hard power and accuracy. I wouldn't even use Dragon Rush for a main STAB unless I use Hone Claws, which is an inferior Attack-boosting move. Now, if I had no choice but to use Focus Blast if I needed to kill a Tyranitar, and did not have the no-miss Aura Sphere, I'd use it, but when you have something absolutely superior, I'd use the superior option. Even if it's a defensive set, I would much rather get the KO with Outrage and switch out after, than miss a Dragon Rush and possibly miss the next one.

• Rest to heal off health and works in conjunction with Eviolite and Shed Shell Skin
Should be Shed Skin, not Shed Shell.

AccidentalGreed

Outrage should be listed first, since it has the hard power and accuracy. I wouldn't even use Dragon Rush for a main STAB unless I use Hone Claws, which is an inferior Attack-boosting move. Now, if I had no choice but to use Focus Blast if I needed to kill a Tyranitar, and did not have the no-miss Aura Sphere, I'd use it, but when you have something absolutely superior, I'd use the superior option. Even if it's a defensive set, I would much rather get the KO with Outrage and switch out after, than miss a Dragon Rush and possibly miss the next one.

Should be Shed Skin, not Shed Shell.
Sure, I'll implement your suggestions on Outrage and Dragon Rush. Actually, I'm more confident in using Outrage than *shudder* Dragon Rush.

On a note, this set is more awesome than I first thought it would be, sweeping defensive teams and all.

AccidentalGreed

I compiled an Other Options tag mentioning Draco Meteor and other Special attacks. I personally think it's not worth putting on the Offensive DD set at all.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

• Had a niche as an offensive Dragon Dance user last generation in UU
  • This generation, Dragonite can reach the height of its defensive prowess thanks to Eviolite and possibly Marvel Scale
Found a typo.

Dragonair looks pretty good, it has interesting options, is a pre evo of Dragonite... but then I look at its stats. God, they're awful. Its attack should be base 100, not 84!

How about a parashuffler?

[SET]
name: Parashuffler
move 1: Dragon Tail
move 2: Thunder Wave
move 3: Substitute

No Multiscale, but Substitute + Shed Skin could work.

Is Dragonair too weak to use a Choice Band set?

AccidentalGreed

Iffy on Parashuffler, since IMO not much needs paralysis support in RU other than a few slow bulky sweepers. In OU, Dragonite's access to Multiscale and reliable recovery made it worth it, while Eviolite doesn't quite cut it. Maybe with Marvel Scale, but still...

Choice Band set? Granted, it's faster than Druggidon and has Extremespeed, but still, that Speed and Attack stat... Somebody can fill me in on that.

What do you guys think about moving Waterfall to AC? Dragon Tail is too good to pass up for a weaker coverage move in many situations.

The dual Dragon STAB on the first set is making me feel uncomfortable. If it's defensive, it might not want Outrage or Dragon Rush. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think CB is viable. Dragonair is neither fast (so it can't clean up), strong (granted, Outrage makes up for this somewhat), or bulky (so it can't tank).

AccidentalGreed

The dual Dragon STAB on the first set is making me feel uncomfortable. If it's defensive, it might not want Outrage or Dragon Rush. Just my 2 cents.
It's tentative. Obviously, Outrage and Dragon Rush are unreliable STAB moves on such a defensive set, so possibly, but JUST possibly, Waterfall can go there for a main attacking move and coverage against Rhydon. Doing so obviously results in lack of consistent attacking moves, but Dragonair has a bad movepool anyways. Thoughts on Waterfall?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I tried out the Defensive DD set and it was brilliant. Though, I never used Dragon Tail, and there's no way I would pass up Outrage for Dragon Rush. Imo the set should look like:

[SET]
move 3: Waterfall

QC APPROVED 1/3

AccidentalGreed

I apologize for the double post, but after a few rounds of deliberate testing, I can conclude that Defensive DD Dragonair just plain works better with a main Dragon-type STAB rather than Waterfall anywhere else. The idea of Waterfall going over Outrage / Dragon Rush is not good.

...Damn, ninja'd. Okay, thanks for the input and QC check, Oglemi.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
yeah tbh even with Waterfall I barely used it, the third slot is almost irrelevant

If you can find another move to put there, do so. I'm almost thinking that Fire Blast would be a good slash if only for Ferroseed.

Someone else can chime in here though

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I used Dragonair quite a bit in Round 1 with Waterfall in the 3rd slot, and I never really felt like another move would have been better, but I can see the appeal of Dragon Tail. Slash Waterfall first, Dragon Tail second, and put Fire Blast in AC.

QC APPROVED 2/3

AccidentalGreed

Alright. I never really saw the use of the third slot either, but Waterfall and Dragon Tail really are the best options to put there. Fire Blast seems really bad on something that lowers it's Special Attack purposefully, but AC it is.

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mention an alternative EVspread of 252 HP / 160 SpD / 96 Spe in the AC on the defensive set, which can be useful for outspeeding neutral max speed base 50s (notably Aggron).

QC APPROVED 3/3

AccidentalGreed

Go do your usual magic tricks, GP checkers!

(also if you keep a sharp eye out, you'll notice I did the Overview last. I'm strange like that)

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I shall inspect and correct the grammar and prose of this article, fellow colleagues.

Add

Remove
comments

[OVERVIEW][Overview]

<p>As its NFE status implies, don't expect Dragonair should not be expected to strike fear into it's opponents just by appearing in Team Preview (unlike its evolution in OU), mostly because its only practical role in the RU metagame is one thing, and one thing only: Dragon Dance sweeping. Fortunately, despite its admittedly average stats (including its initially subpar sub-par defenses and Speed), Dragonair can stick out distinguish itself from other attackers thanks to its unique with its first-class/gnarly/exceptional Dragon typing. (Pick one) As a special note, the generation shift granted Dragonair a gift in Eviolite, which gives it a golden opportunity to be a viable defensive sweeper in RU. Although its options are pretty much limited outside of Dragon Dance, being able to boost both its Attack and Speed at once is always a valuable asset in an environment that lacks other alternative solid Dragon Dance users.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>It's not very often one sees a bulky boosting sweeper in the predominantly offensive RU metagame. Dragonair, fortunately, can fulfill this role successfully thanks to its typing (which gives it a few resistances and only two weaknesses, one of which is practically absent in RU), access to Dragon Dance and Shed Skin, and boosted defenses via Eviolite. The key, however, to using Dragonair, however, is to be conservative; only prepare for attempt a sweep when you have eliminated any possible powerhouses, seeing as Dragonair's bulk isn't exactly gamebreaking game-breaking, even with Eviolite. The most efficient way to start the sweep is to send switch Dragonair into something that can't hurt it significantly, which applies mostly to Grass-, Electric-, Fire-, and Water-types, or and defensive Pokemon in general, such as Munchlax, Cofagrigus, and Rotom-C.</p>

<p>Dragonair's primary focus is attaining multiple Dragon Dance boosts while the opponent attempts to respond (likely by using status or switching into a check). Status is nothing to worry about extensively as far as Shed Skin is concerned, so feel free to set up on any predicted status except for sleep. If Dragonair attains sustains a major amount of damage, simply use Rest to recover. Do not be over-reliant on Rest, however, since Shed Skin's healing effect can only activate 30% of any turn as Shed skin only has a 30% activation rate. After attaining the appropriate amount of boosts (a recommended number is two or three Dragon Dances), Once Dragonair has secured a number of boosts (two or three is recommended), simply lash out with Outrage, . (< Period) which, while unreliable in the long run, can dent any Pokemon without a Steel-typing. Though somewhat unreliable, Outrage can put huge dents in anything that is not extremely bulky, or a Steel-type.<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The last slot is essentially filler; courtesy of its limited movepool, Dragonair has practically little else to do use on the this set besides Dragon Tail and Waterfall. Although Dragon Tail's negative priority may seem to contradict Dragon Dance's Speed boosts, it ensures that Dragonair cannot be easily phazed out. After a Speed boost, Dragonair is faster than all of the usual Roar and Whirlwind users in the metagame, so in a phazing war, Dragonair's Dragon Tail will almost always come up out on top. On the other hand, Waterfall is an alternative for coverage against Steel-type Pokemon bar Ferroseed. Additionally, if using Outrage seems too risky in any given situation, Dragonair can instead use Waterfall for a more reliable, yet weaker main attack.</p>

<p>Dragonair thrives on defensive investment, and because of the populace of special attackers with resisted attacks in RU, it Dragonair should be specially defensive with a Careful nature. If investing in speed Speed seems worthwhile, a good benchmark would be 96 EVs in Speed, which allows Dragonair to outspeed all neutral base 50 Pokemon before the Dragon Dance boost. Additionally, you may consider using some Attack investment so that Dragonair isn't reliant on so many boosts isn't completely reliant on Dragon Dance for power; for example, without investment, Dragonair only has a small chance of OHKOing Entei (without Stealth Rock damage) with three Attack boosts. With maximized Attack, however, it has a chance to do so with only two, which comes at the cost of being significantly less bulky.</p>

<p>Avoid using Dragonair early to mid-game; despite Dragonair's self-sufficiency with this set, it requires some offensive support to bypass its checks and counters. Ferroseed is an example of such an obstacle amongst other bulky Steel-type Pokemon, capable of annoying Dragonair with Leech Seed and continued attacks while resisting any every attack this set utilizes. Thus, using offensive Pokemon with Fire- or Fighting-type attacks, such as Medicham and or mixed Honchkrow, is especially recommended with Dragonair. As a special mention, using Magneton is a straightfoward straightforward way to deal with Steel-types, courtesy of its defensive typing and Magnet Pull ability. If Waterfall is chosen, also be sure to eliminate foes with phazing moves prior to setup, which can can identified with Team Preview.</p>

[SET]
move 4: Extremespeed ExtremeSpeed

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>In addition to being one of the few good usable defensive sweepers in RU, Dragonair can also act as is one of the tier's only offensive Dragon Dance sweepers, with its only notable competition being Feraligatr in RU. After a single boost in conjunction with Life Orb, Dragonair has the potential to tear various teams apart. Unlike its fellow Dragon Dance user, Dragonair boasts an advantage in its Dragon typing, earning it decent defensive and offensive typing which is useful both offensively and defensively. Dragonair also has a powerful STAB Dragon-type move in Outrage, providing which provides raw power and coverage against everything but Steel-types, which are covered with by Dragonair's chosen Water-type move. Dragonair can choose either Waterfall or Aqua Tail (the usual small matter of accuracy versus Vs. power quandary/dilemma). This alone makes Dragonair a hard attacker to beat, seeing as it can just break through threats with Outrage's power and coverage at any part of the game.</p>

<p>On top of these this, it also boasts Extremespeed Dragonair has been graced with the rare ExtremeSpeed, which allows Dragonair to beat revenge killers and other priority users, especially the omnipresent Sucker Punch Honchkrow. As a small bonus, Shed Skin gives Dragonair a "second chance" to function if status happens to get in the way, though relying on it is highly inadvisable due to Dragonair's decreased bulk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A simple offensive spread with maximized Attack and speed Speed with and an Adamant nature naturally suffices is the best choice. Simply put, the Speed investment prevents Dragonair from being revenge killed from by odd +1 Pokemon, and also allows Dragonair to outrun Scolipede after a boost, so investing in bulk is hardly necessary. A Jolly nature is also optimal if you wish for Dragonair to outspeed positive-natured base 125 Speed Pokemon after a Dragon Dance, though obviously, this comes at the cost of missed power.</p>

<p>Initially, Dragonair may be difficult to set up because of its subpar sub-par defenses, so finding an opportunity to come switch in and sweep is quite a task. Ideally, Dragonair should come switch in after one of its teammates has fainted in order to increase its already-short lifetime on the field. Another way to open setup opportunities is by using Pokemon with crippling strategies at hand, ranging from Encore to status to Choice Tricking. Lopunny is particularly skilled at using both Encore and Trick, while the likes of Lilligant and Tangrowth can shut down a foe with Sleep Powder. Dragonair can also set up on most defensive Pokemon such as Munchlax, since as many of them are predominantly non-offensive, (< Comma) and are severely damaged by a +1 Outrage. Don't be greedy with the number of turns Dragonair has earned, however, since as the damage and recoil can accumulate at a fast pace. It is also advisable to stack Dragonair with other offensive teammates if it finds itself down early in the game.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Dragonair is the antithesis of its more versatile and powerful evolution; Dragonair unfortunately lacks the options, let alone certain stats, to do what Dragonite would do to make an impact. In short, the few options Dragonair does have is are limited by unimpressive stats. For instance, Dragonair can make use of some useful special attacks such as Dragon Pulse, Draco Meteor, and basic coverage moves (Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Surf). However, its low Special Attack, even when invested, hinders the use of these moves quite a bit. The only other notable physical attacks are Dragon Rush and Aqua Jet, but both are hard to fit on either Dragon Dance set due to redundancy (and accuracy for in Dragon Rush's case).</p>

<p>Dragonair is more affluent in support moves, but more often than not, its only decent bulk and lack of (more) reliable recovery will let it down for in defensive roles most of the time. Dragonair's hidden ability, Marvel Scale, isn't of much use because of the limitations that come with it, such as the lack of Sleep Talk (so any intention chance of using the RestTalk combination is out of the question). As for support moves, Haze, Thunder Wave, and Safeguard are useful for team support options. Light Screen can prove useful on the defensive Dragon Dance set, enabling granting Dragonair easier setup against special attacks while allowing it to invest more in physical Defense.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>When facing Dragonair, the best thing to do is strike it down with force. With or without Eviolite, Dragonair is only decently bulky, and much frailer on the physical side. For instance, Entei has a chance to 2HKO +1 252/0 Dragonair with Flare Blitz, factoring in Life Orb and Stealth Rock damage. If the prospect of a healthy boosted Dragonair is frightening, certain bulky Pokemon such as Ferroseed, Tangrowth, and Hariyama will have little problems trouble taking some boosted attacks (in moderation). Keep in mind, however, that attempting to stop it Dragonair with status may be a wasted effort because of Shed Skin's healing effect. Quagsire in particular is one of the best counters to Dragonair, ignoring any boosts that Dragonair may have gotten with Unaware and replying with repeated Earthquakes. as it will be Unaware of Dragonair's boosts, and can wear the dragon down with consecutive Earthquakes. In a worset-case scenario, priority users and Choice Scarf Pokemon with a base sSpeed of at least 55 can still revenge kill Dragonair successfully, the most notable being Honchkrow, Medicham, and Krookodile.</p>
Proofreading...

Proofread and Finalized.

I'll give this its second check ^_^

Add
Remove
Comment

[Overview]

<p>As its NFE status implies, Dragonair should not be expected to strike fear into its opponent's hearts just by appearing in Team Preview (unlike its evolution), mostly because its only practical role in the RU metagame is one thing, and one thing only: Dragon Dance sweeping. Fortunately, despite its admittedly average stats (including initially sub-par defenses and Speed), Dragonair can distinguish itself from other attackers with its exceptional Dragon typing. As a special note, the generation shift granted Dragonair a gift in Eviolite, which gives it a golden opportunity to be a viable defensive sweeper in RU. Although its options are pretty limited outside of Dragon Dance, being able to boost both its Attack and Speed at once is always a valuable asset in an environment that lacks solid Dragon Dance users, or Dragon-types, for that matter.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>It's not very often one sees a bulky boosting sweeper in the predominantly offensive RU metagame. Dragonair, however fortunately, can fulfill this role successfully thanks to its typing which gives it a few resistances and only two weaknesses, one of which is practically absent in RU, access to Dragon Dance and Shed Skin, and boosted defenses via the Eviolite. The key to using Dragonair, however, is to be conservative; only attempt a sweep when you have eliminated any opposing possible powerhouses, as Dragonair's bulk isn't exactly game-breaking. The most efficient way to start the sweep is to switch Dragonair into something that can't hurt it significantly, which applies mostly to Grass-, Electric-, Fire-, and Water-types, as well as and defensive Pokemon in general, such as Munchlax, Cofagrigus, and Rotom-C.</p>

<p>Dragonair's primary focus is attaining multiple Dragon Dance boosts while the opponent attempts to respond (likely by using status or switching in a check). Status is nothing to worry about as far as Shed Skin is concerned, so feel free to set up on any predicted status except sleep. If Dragonair sustains a major amount of damage, simply use Rest to recover. Do not be over-reliant on Rest, however, as Shed skin only has a 30% activation rate. Once Dragonair has secured a number of boosts (two or three is recommended), simply lash out with Outrage. Though somewhat unreliable, Outrage can put huge dents in anything that is not extremely bulky, or a Steel-type.<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The last slot is essentially filler; courtesy of its limited movepool, Dragonair has little else to use on this set besides Dragon Tail and Waterfall. Although Dragon Tail's negative priority may seem to contradict Dragon Dance's Speed boosts, it ensures that Dragonair cannot be phazed out. After a Speed boost, Dragonair is faster than all of the usual Roar, Dragon Tail, and Whirlwind users in the metagame, so in a phazing war, Dragonair's Dragon Tail will almost always come out on top. On the other hand, Waterfall is an alternative for coverage against Steel-type Pokemon bar Ferroseed, though its relative lack of power even after a boost or two is rather unappealing. Additionally, if using Outrage seems too risky in any given situation, Dragonair can instead use Waterfall for a more reliable, yet weaker main attack. (Why would you ever use an unSTABed move with only 80 Base Power as your main attack?)</p>

<p>Dragonair thrives on defensive investment, and because of the populace of special attackers with resisted attacks in RU, Dragonair should be specially defensive with a Careful nature. If investing in Speed seems worthwhile, a good benchmark would be 96 EVs in Speed, which allows Dragonair to outspeed all neutral base 50 Pokemon before the Dragon Dance boost. Additionally, you may consider some Attack investment so that Dragonair isn't completely reliant on Dragon Dance for power; without investment, Dragonair only has a small chance of OHKOing Entei (without Stealth Rock damage) with three Attack boosts. With maximized Attack, however, it has a chance to do so with only two boosts, which comes at the cost of being significantly less bulky.</p>

<p>Avoid using Dragonair early to mid-game; despite Dragonair's self-sufficiency with this set, it requires some offensive support to bypass its checks and counters. Ferroseed is an example of such an obstacle amongst other bulky Steel-type Pokemon, capable of annoying Dragonair with Leech Seed and continued attacks while resisting every attack this set utilizes. Thus, using offensive Pokemon with Fire- or Fighting-type attacks, such as Medicham or mixed Honchkrow, is recommended. As a special mention, Magneton is a straightforward way to deal with Steel-types, courtesy of its defensive typing and Magnet Pull ability. If Waterfall is chosen, also be sure to eliminate foes with phazing moves prior to set-up, which can can identified with Team Preview.</p>

[SET]
move 4: ExtremeSpeed

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>In addition to being one of the few usable defensive sweepers in RU, Dragonair is one of the tier's only offensive Dragon Dance sweepers, with its only notable competition being Feraligatr. After a single boost in conjunction with Life Orb, Dragonair has the potential to tear teams apart. Unlike its fellow Dragon Dance user, Dragonair boasts an advantage in its Dragon typing, which is useful both offensively and defensively. Dragonair also has a powerful STAB attack in Outrage, which provides raw power and coverage against everything but Steel-types, which are covered by Dragonair's chosen Water-type move.<space>Dragonair can choose either Waterfall or Aqua Tail; again, a power vs. accuracy dilemma. (the usual accuracy vs. power dilemma) This alone makes Dragonair a hard attacker to beat, seeing as it can just break through threats with Outrage's sheer (optional) power and exceptional (optional) coverage.</p>

<p>On top of this, Dragonair has been graced with the rare ExtremeSpeed, which allows Dragonair to beat revenge killers and other priority users, especially the omnipresent Sucker Punch Honchkrow. As a small bonus, Shed Skin gives Dragonair a "second chance" to function if status happens to get in the way, though relying on it is highly inadvisable due to Dragonair's decreased bulk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A simple offensive spread with maximized Attack and Speed and an Adamant nature is the best choice. Simply put, the Speed investment prevents Dragonair from being revenge killed by the odd +1 Pokemon, and also allows Dragonair to outrun Scolipede after a boost, so investing in bulk is hardly necessary. A Jolly nature is also optimal if you wish for Dragonair to outspeed positive-natured base 125 Speed Pokemon after a Dragon Dance, though obviously, this comes at the cost of power.</p>

<p>Initially, Dragonair may find it be difficult to set up because of its sub-par defenses, so taking advantage of finding an opportunity to switch in and sweep is quite a task. Ideally, Dragonair should switch in after one of its teammates has fainted to increase its time on the field. Another way to open setup opportunities is by using Pokemon with crippling strategies at hand, ranging from Encore to status to Choice Tricking. Lopunny is particularly skilled at using both Encore and Trick, while Lilligant and Tangrowth can shut down a foe with Sleep Powder. Dragonair can also set up on most defensive Pokemon such as Munchlax, as many of them are predominantly non-offensive, and are severely damaged by a +1 Outrage. Don't be greedy with the number of turns Dragonair has earned, however, as the damage and recoil can accumulate at a fast pace. It is also advisable to stack Dragonair with other offensive teammates if it finds itself down early in the game.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Dragonair is the antithesis of its more versatile and powerful evolution; Dragonair unfortunately lacks the options, let alone certain stats, to do what Dragonite would do to make an impact. In short, the few options Dragonair does have are limited by unimpressive stats. For instance, Dragonair can make use of some useful special attacks such as Dragon Pulse, Draco Meteor, and basic coverage moves including (Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Surf) (remove parentheses). However, its low Special Attack, even when invested, hinders the effectiveness use of these moves quite a bit. The only other notable physical attacks are Dragon Rush and Aqua Jet, but both are hard to fit on either Dragon Dance set due to redundancy (and accuracy in Dragon Rush's case).</p>

<p>Dragonair is more affluent in support moves, but more often than not, its only decent bulk and lack of reliable recovery will let it down in more defensive roles. Dragonair's hidden ability, Marvel Scale, isn't of much use because of the limitations that come with it, such as the lack of Sleep Talk (so any chance of using the RestTalk combination is out of the question). As for support moves, Haze, Thunder Wave, and Safeguard are certainly useful options. Light Screen can prove useful on the defensive Dragon Dance set, granting Dragonair easier setup against special attacks while allowing it to invest more in physical Defense.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>When facing Dragonair, the best thing to do is strike it down with force. With or without Eviolite, Dragonair is only decently bulky, and much frailer on the physical side. For instance, Entei has a chance to 2HKO +1 252/0 Dragonair with Flare Blitz, factoring in Life Orb and Stealth Rock damage. If the prospect of a healthy boosted Dragonair is frightening, certain bulky Pokemon such as Ferroseed, Tangrowth, and Hariyama will have little trouble taking some boosted attacks (in moderation). Keep in mind, however, that attempting to stop Dragonair with status may be a wasted effort because of Shed Skin. Quagsire in particular is one of the best counters to Dragonair, as it will be Unaware of Dragonair's boosts, and can wear the dragon down with consecutive Earthquakes. In a worst-case scenario, priority users and Choice Scarf Pokemon with a base Speed of at least 55 can still revenge kill Dragonair successfully, the most notable being Honchkrow, Medicham, and Krookodile.</p>

Excellent job AG, just stop writing so damn much lololol

GP 2/2

AccidentalGreed

So...are you saying I should write less analyses, or stop writing so much content in analyses? This has gotten me so far, lol

Anyways, fill 'er up (which means it's done).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)