CAP 13 CAP 2 - Concept Assessment - Multitype

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely opting to save Multitype for another CAP. It would be best, as it allows us to further streamline and exercise the way we balance out movepools in respects to the rest of the CAP's characteristics. Not only that, Multitype is a very complex and broad topic, and as stated, a carefully crafted movepool would prevent complicated issues in bringing the final product together. Plus, it could lead to some out of balance forms of the Pokemon. I'd be set for Multitype being it's own well-made concept, but that's for a later time.

LouisCyphre

heralds disaster.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Agree with reachzero. Sketch + Multitype could lead to one of the most interesting Pokémon ever made, or the first CAP to fail entirely.

I'm not willing to risk a hand of one card in hopes for hand of eight.

canno

formerly The Reptile
While Multitype would make for a nice CAP, and might add versatility, I think it would derail the point of Sketchy to Sketch. It also, in it's own way, prevent's Sketchy to be versatile because it looses an important thing - it's Item. This might not be a big deal for an offensive mon, as the power boost given from the plate + it's ability to change the pokemons type could make it strong enough to not need a life orb, but this could greatly affect it for it's other possible roles. Now I know the main role for the mon is Bulky Offense, but the point of Bulky Offense was so it could possible pull of the other rolls while having a general direction. Giving it multitype would remove it's versatility and force it to either go offensive, or go defensive with a lack of Leftovers (which is actually a big deal, and the main reason Evolite Chansey doesn't outclass Blissy.), or go whatever without an item it possibly needs. If this were to happen, Sketch would most likely be used for a boosting move. I would say no to Multitype for Sketchy.

However, if we do go for Multitype, it should not get judgement, but get a fairly decent offensive movepool. If it lacks Judgement, it could sketch it for a powerful STAB attack. However, it doesn't need to as it could run a different move while having a decent STAB move because of it's movepool. That, and if we do give it Multitype Judgement as part of it's movepool, we have essentially made a mini-arceus for OU, which is, IMO, the biggest derail from the original concept, Sketchmon.

The existence of Multitype + Judgment on CAP 2 removes the need for a bunch of coverage moves in the CAP's eventual movepool.
Multitype enables the use of even more Sketch moves, as it opens up STAB on an assortment of other moves that might not be useful without it.
Are these two points somewhat contradictory? Multitype + Judgement means that this Pokemon will always have a STAB move, and access to at least one powerful STAB move. As such, we move to limit the other attacking moves in order to "[remove] the need for a bunch of coverage moves in the CAP's eventual movepool" (That's a lot of 'moving'). However, one powerful STAB attack is never enough, no matter how powerful - type coverage is also critical. With STAB judgement as their only decent attack and a limited choice of coverage moves, people will look to the Sketch moveslot for coverage (eg. Close Combat on Draco Plate holders, Head Smash on Earth Plate holders). However, part of our motivation for choosing Multitype was to "[enable] the use of even more Sketch moves, as it opens up STAB on an assortment of other moves". As much as I'd love for my Flame Plate holder to have STAB V-create for its Sketch move, I arguably NEED that slot to Sketch Surf, so that I'm not completely walled by every Flash Fire Pokemon or Rock type that switches in.

Looking at it another way, to balance a Pokemon, you have to weigh the POWER and DIVERSITY. If a Pokemon is too powerful, we usually decrease its diversity (ie. decrease it's Movepool and type coverage) so that it's walled by a greater selection of foes. As such our balance for giving this Pokemon access to STAB on all the most powerful moves in the game has been to limit its type coverage 'diversity' - so much, in fact, that we may well make it unplayable. Is this valid reasoning?

The CAP project is a lot like a simple scientific experiment. We have a question(s), and then make a pokemon to experiment with these new ideas. One very important part of an experiment is the controlled variables. Certain variables need to be constant, so that when we get a result we know for the most part why.

I really think that instead of helping Sketchmon accomplish the goal, Multitype will become a distraction. It is such a new concept that it could even be its own CAP. By making a pokemon with Multitype, there will be a huge amount of possible sets, and ways in which Sketchmon is used. This will cause the true purpose, Sketch, to become hard to analyze and evaluate because of how much Multitype affects the results.
This point really sums up my opinion nicely. I'm not really a fan of a Multitype pokemon in general, but adding that amount of customization to this pokemon is completely overdone. Even without Judgement, CAP2 would be able to have any type and any move. A multitype pokemon also looks like it would drag a lot of the "fun" out of the process... Typing (almost certainly going to be Normal, as there is nor Normal Plate) and ability are already completed, and the movepool would have to be fairly basic without much interest to accommodate Sketch, leaving this pokemon essentially made other than Stats and Art/Name. Even if we were to give it some interesting typing and a secondary ability, then we're essentially creating two pokemon... One Sketchmon with Multitype and another without it. While I know we aren't supposed to focus on the logisitcs of the project, I can't help but feel that with Multitype, CAP2 would either be obnoxiously boring and almost tedious to make or essentially a dual-form pokemon like Rotom or something where we are creating two completely different pokemon at once.
On the subject of brokenness of a Multitype pokemon with Sketch... I think it would be possible to balance such a beast, but it would still end up overly diverse. For example, take Lucario. Its pretty unpredictable, as it has three good stat boosting sets. Now imagine if it could also run a support set, a Spore set, or add some uber-powerful attacking move. That's at least somewhat similar to CAP2 right now. Now, give it every possible type. There is literally nothing that can switch in safely a quarter of the time. I don't like that thought.

Multitype is just too risky for this sort of concept. I'm slowly coming around to the idea of Sketch (assuming it was well-balanced which is another topic for another day) but Multitype could overshadow the original idea too much, and by the looks of things the balance arguments could go on forever without a good consensus.

What I'm to be saying is going to be a simple echo of what people have said before me: That Multitype+Judgement would add a lot of power to the CAP, and thus would put more strain on further steps of the process and also undermining other steps (Typing and Ability polls).

K, this discussion has tipped me toward not going for Multitype. I don't agree much with what Fire Blast said (I kind of preempted it, saying a lack of Multitype could be just as noisy as the presence of Multitype), but maybe we really need the freedom to restrict the typing to balance the Sketch moves in relation to each other, instead of relying on stats and maybe other abilities to do so. Of course, if we try to do this, the idea of learning what the "best moves" are is kind of skewed, but it seems to be the better course of action.

Asylum_Rhapsody

But, if a type-changing ability is chosen, I recommend that we go for a different option, like Forecast.
A type-changing ability sounds cool in theory, but again I worry that this would end up being Sketchy's main focus rather than Sketch. Either way, I definitely don't think that it should be Forecast. The metagame's focused enough on weather; we don't need yet another reason to encourage it, whether making use of it with this Pokemon to improve its typing or against this Pokemon to counter it.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll present the full argument for both sides here.

A note first: Having Draco Plate make it a Dragon type does not require us to give it Draco Meteor, so don't assume CAP 2 is going to have a 140 BP Dragon Move at its disposal regardless of type.

Pro:

What having the two together does it let us focus to a very large extent. The basic set model is going to be CAP 2 @ Type Plate with Judgement for STAB and Hidden Power as a coverage movem then a Sketch Move. Anything else added would be very sparse, but as far as my own envisioning I'd argue for something like a reliable recovery move, since that would at least allow it to play a bulky offense role by allowing it to keep itself healthy. It does bring up issues with physical movepool, and obviously if it's using Judgement + Hidden Power, Tail Glow is very appealing for a Sketch move. That said, its very controllable and really allows Sketch the flexibility to base itself around your team needs.

Con:

Based on the above, we basically have a completed product once we decide to go with multitype. Yes, we'll still have stats, and maybe a secondary ability, but our options for a non-Sketch movepool will be severely limited. We could deck the CAP out with support moves to fill in those gaps, but those almost feel superfluous to a CAP that can effectively operate as 17 distinct Pokemon. In many ways it makes it almost impossible to learn anything from Sketch, because Multitype itself is already a monumental X-Factor. How can we know how much impact Sketch is having when all of the different types prize different moves. A Fire CAP 2 for example has a huge incentive to choose V-Create, with STAB and a Plate Boost it will do monumental damage, and V-Create + Fire Judgment may not be diverse, but get rid of the Fire resists and it can be a pretty solid wallbreaker. Of course, you could also opt for Sacred Fire....

So the biggest weakness of Multitype is it makes it almost impossible to answer the Concept's questions related to Sketch. Because not only do we have a mon that can use one of every move, we also have a mon that can be one of any of the 17 single types.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think balancing multitype in terms of stats/movepool would be difficult enough on its own, I don't think it's a good idea to introduce the ability to this Sketch Cap. It's obviously good to have a diverse number of sets available for a CAP, but the more options available, the greater the chance that we will miss something from a balance perspective. After all, how would we go about dealing with a CAP that could (conceivably) run anything from a Draco Plate Shell Smash/Judgement sweeper set to an Iron Plate defensive pivot? We would either have to severely restrict its stats or movepool in order to prevent it from becoming too good at too many roles.

I'm not persuaded in favour of Multitype so far. Including this ability would seem to nullify our ability to answer conceptual questions about Sketch's influence on the metagame, we end up confronting a wide range of questions mainly about the influence of type. That's not to say we couldn't with effort answer those conceptual questions about Sketch, but we'd be introducing a massive confounding factor. We're also liable to end up creating a Pokemon (rather, a set of Pokemon) that's very difficult to check - it will be risky balancing out the stats for SketchMultitypemon.

Be sure to keep posts related to primarily Multitype guys. R_D wants to get the particpants opinions on it specifically. Delving into other abilities can wait until the proper steps.

So the biggest weakness of Multitype is it makes it almost impossible to answer the Concept's questions related to Sketch. Because not only do we have a mon that can use one of every move, we also have a mon that can be one of any of the 17 single types.
That is actually a good point. I'm having trouble even theorymoning responses/scenarios in which the questions can be answered "correctly." Multitype just seems to take a lot of limelight from the concept to the point where we must put forth as much time and effort catering to it as the concept itself.

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Man. I just had the worst day ever. And to cap it all off, 8 hours of Comp. Org. work made me miss out on getting in my opinion at the very beginning of this thread (cause you know, it is not nearly as fun to rage when most people agree with you). But I will not let that take away my fun. So time to bring hell down on Multitype.

First, I will start off by saying that Multitype adds nothing to help CAP2 fufil its concept. Sure, it is cool, and it would certainly add more versatility to the Pokemon, but the point is, we are here to study Sketch. Multitype does not help with that at all.

Secondly, Multitype distracts from our goal. One thing I have said repeatedly over on IRC is how CAP is similar to a science experiment. In this particular experiment, the independent variable would be sketch, and thus our goal is to see how the dependent variable (the metagame) is effected by the introduction of a Pokemon with the independent variable. Multitype has such a huge effect on a Pokemon, that it is almost the equivalent of Sketch in terms of the magnitude of the variable it brings into play. While I'm sure many people here can already see what I am getting at, the point is that an experiment with 2 independent variables will inevitably fail because even if results are witnessed, it is impossible to tell if the results were caused by variable 1, variable 2, or the combination of both.

An important third point is that choosing Multitype really takes away from the CAP process. It decides multiple polls at once and in my opinion is just not good for our process. To be honest, I really just don't see a place in CAP for Multitype at all. Maybe if the concept was specifically focused on it, but in general, all it does is hurt our system.

Finally, I would like to mention something I consider a very important balancing issue that is almost completely overlooked on Multitype. Multitype would render the Pokemon immune to ability eliminating or stealing effects, and, as long as it is holding a plate, grants it an immunity to Trick, Knock Off, and other similar moves. When it comes to a Pokemon who already may be be a major threat due to its unpredictability, giving it that many more chances to get free turns of set up is just asking for it to be made broken. While this is certainly not the most important factor in my opinion, it is definitely an important and ofter overlooked feature that Multitype brings to the table, and as far as I am concerned may be reason enough in this situation to not give CAP2 Multitype.

And of course all these reasons don't even touch on my personal feelings about the blasphemy that would be giving it Multitype. However, in this case, the competitive reasons should be overwhelming enough for us to realize how bad of an idea Multitype is.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I agree with many of the comments above that express hesitancy. I feel like while Multitype may be workable alone, and obviously Sketch already opens up Judgment, I don't think that Multitype + Judgment in normal movepool is going to be remotely balanced without EXTREME care.

I think that the ONLY way I could see this work is if the limited normal movepool contained Judgment, 3-5 good-but-not-great attacks with assorted coverage, a handful of bad or at most really situational moves, and ZERO "good" special set up moves at all (I would still lobby for physical ones like Bulk Up, Coil, Hone Claws, etc as possibilities)

That way the best coverage the CAPmon can do is something like Fist Plate with Judgment, Shadow Ball, Extrasensory, Energy Ball.

Is that OP? As long as its stats are reasonable, then no. So could it work? Maybe.

But I am hesitant to try it unless Rising_Dusk is willing to be very authoritative and coercive in how this project proceeds. I don't want polls to result with the CAP getting a movepool of 40 moves if Judgment is one of them, for example.

I agree with the sentiments of many that allowing Multitype would distract our attention from what we really want to learn about the metagame: Sketch. But, maybe almost as important, is that I believe Multitype deserves to be studied on it's own. There's a lot that we may learn from this ability, and we should not go around mixing it up with Sketch. I'd say let's reserve Multitype for another CAP.

I think this is a distraction from ideas we've agreed upon so far, even at this stage. The basic idea of a bulky attacker with low offensive stats, be it more like Serperior or Scrafty, is going to mean certain types are significantly more effective than others anyway, and the basic idea of a limited movepool + sketch pretty much requires that the poke is going to need two strong STABs in order to even begin to explore the 'set-up sweeper' side of things. I truly think a strong dual-typing, stronger than any single type, that can capitalise on both defenses and offenses is what is best for the CAP, and this ability prevents any typing discussion. The main problem generally though is that it's hard to justify the things it detracts from the project when it doesn't really seem to add anything, especially when 'Sketch Artist' is the only real focus we know we have to follow.

EDIT: Just as a general point, I'd like to say that "multitype = broken" is not a good argument here and makes even less sense than "sketch = broken". If it doesn't have the stats or moves to capitalise on any one typing, then it won't. Brokenness is easily preventable, and if not prevented, easily corrected afterwards. I'm not against it at all because it's broken - it probably has more potential to be the opposite, actually. I'm against it because it hurts the concept and is fundamentally uncreative, despite appearances.

I agree with just about everyone and I will say this is a BAD idea.
People were worried about this thing being too broken, and we are going to give it essentially 17 types/sets and give it a 100 BP STAB moven(I think thats judgement) along with it?
Unless its moveset/stats are all pretty much subpar then this CAP will break OU.

Multitype would definitely be overpowered and might end up destroying the OU environment. It would be way too good if you could make it a Water type for a rain team og Steel/Ground/Rock on a sand team etc.
The concept was not looking for a pokémon adaptable on any team. Its purpose was to teach us something about sketch and popular moves.
We should not use such a special ability unless the concept defines something like that.
We should rather give it some very different abilities so it could do a variety of stuff with its Sketch move.

I'm strongly against Multitype, as it will make our pokemon revolve around Plates and not the single Sketch, which most likely will be used for Judgement. Why not just build a pokemon without any gimmicks other than a single Sketch? We won't learn anything from the experiment unless we test only one gimmick, which is the single Sketch slot.

That's not to say I'm against a Multitype CAP. I just think both it and Sketch Artist deserve their own CAPs instead of being sandwiched together.

More thoughts when I'm not on my iPod.

Let me just start to say that I think it's great idea to do a multitype CaP.

Just not this one.

What we are trying to assess here is what a pokemon with access to ANY move can do to a metagame. If we give it the ability multitype, everyone will just use Judgement+Type Plate+1 Stat Up move + 2 coverage moves. It's what happened with Arceus. We allready know what Arceus does.

The user will almost exclusively hold Plates. This means that the typing will be decided by a plate, not by a poll. The fact that there's 17 of them makes it impossible to balance properly. The fact that there's no need for any other item than a plate, will mean there's no experimentation with Sketch+item play. This will shift the focus away from a Sketch-user to a Plate-user.

It will also inevitably lead to a Weather Team Pokemon. Giving it the desired type and putting it in Weather for either a 100 BP 100% accurate STAB Sandstorm/Hail Choice Scarf/Specs sweeper, or a 100 BP 100% accurate STAB Sun/Rain Boosted Choice Scarf/Specs sweeper. I am pulling this out of my arse, but it's what immediatly jumps to my mind. I assume I am not alone thinking this is the way to go with a Multitype/Judgement combo.

If Multitype was a 2nd (or Dream World) ability, what would the other one be? It would be infinitely less interesting to give it a second ability. Right now we still have to discuss about any abilities that would combine with Sketch to form a beautiful new concept. Slapping Multitype on it will completely erase a stage of discussion and a chance to make something unique.

Not unimportant is the way the CaP will be viewed. Giving it both Judgement and Multitype with a (if the least poll was any indication) bulky offensive spread, it will forever be the "what if Arceus had Sketch?"-CaP. Doesn't have to be, but it looks a darn lot like it.

Overall I like the idea of a Multitype CaP, but not a Multitype+Sketch CaP. It's just too much.

I don't like the idea of Multitype either. Without repeating the arguments already made against it, I would like to emphasize that the held item is automatically a plate, with the exception of the normal forme. This in itself already limits what CAP2 can do, preventing a number of strategies from ever being used. Also, no one else has addressed the issue brought forth by the first individual to reply to this thread: does Multitype force CAP2 to be a single type? If so, that's simply another instance of options being removed from our consideration, and I really hate the idea of being pigeonholed like that.

I'm extremely leery of Multitype. Not only does it essentially mean we're making 17 different Pokémon, it eradicates the possibility of having counters or even checks. What checks Grass CAP2 won't check Fire CAP2 or Ice CAP2. Not only that, but why would it choose a plate other than Draco or maybe Flame (STAB V-Create...)? Why would it choose an item other than a plate?

Its advantages are there, but the disadvantages are far too numerous to consider it at all. We could do better with Trace or something to that effect.

My bad, what we want to consider is Color Change. Let me gather my thoughts and get back to this thread.
The reason you'd not run a Plate is the same reason Extremekiller Arceus is good, because it has sets that benefit it as its original type, which in Arceus' case is Silk Scarf Extremespeed.

Besides, many bulky sets may prefer Leftovers over Recover or some other healing move.

I'm all for Multitype. It'd be a very interesting way to explore this CAP, and most of the arguements for it have already been posted far better than I could hope to.

However, I don't think CAP2 should get Judgement naturally. If he wants it, he'll have to sketch for it. Instead, we can actually give this CAP a somewhat wide movepool so he won't have to sketch for STAB. If possible, we can make it sorta Rotom-A style with regard to STAB moves, so it'll get one reliable STAB (physical and/or special) depending on its plate. Like, if it's fire-type it can get Flamethrower, and if its water-type it can get Scald (for example) but the fire version cant use Scald. That way we'd have a reliable STAB for our CAP no matter what, but not nessecarily a 100BP STAB move. Grass Judgement is way more powerful than Energy Ball. Then outside the Plate Moves, we can give him a tiny bit of coverage options and let Sketch do the rest.

If we decide Judgement is too far, I support Forecast instead. It'd be an interesting route to go with Sketchy

I'm going to agree with the majority of people on this subject; Multitype is an interesting aspect, but not an aspect we want to use for this CAP. saving it for a later would both allow us to explore Multitype, and we'd find this CAP a bit easier to think about. Besides; Even if we did give Sketchy Multitype, we'd have more of a handful than an asset. Honestly, if we did it would need to be nerfed on different scales, possibly at the same time.

I could just quote a bunch of posts to show what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)