NU CCAT Step 4: Playtesting

[pimg]199[/pimg] [pimg]332[/pimg] [pimg]277[/pimg] [pimg]348[/pimg] [pimg]323[/pimg] Klinklang (iPhones...)

The team so far:

Slowking (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Surf
- Psychic

Cacturne (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

Swellow (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Brave Bird
- Facade
- Quick Attack/ U-Turn
- Protect

Armaldo (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake

Camerupt (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Roar

Hey guys! Seeing as every other tier currently has a CCAT going on, I think its NU's team to enter the spotlight! For those that do not know, a CCAT is where many players come together to make one team to ladder with.

Please remember to stay on topic!! I do not want to hear your ideas about a potential playstyle before we vote on who our forgotten wonder will be.

Like the other CCATs, we shall follow this process (shamelessly ripped from the other CCAT threads with minor alterations):

Step 1 (Poll is going up around Nov 25): We are going to start by picking which forgotten Pokemon (and set) we are going to be basing the team around. This does NOT mean the Pokemon has to be the late game sweeper, it means the team will be built around that Pokemon, whatever role it plays. This thread is for nominating Pokemon to be added to a poll (Pokemon that you think fit the description of a "forgotten" Pokemon). After a couple of days (probably around one-two days, until enough pokemon are in the poll (around 10)), I will select which Pokemon are going to be in the poll that will be posted after we decide on a list of Pokemon. This means you have to convince me, and others, that your Pokemon is worth being put in the vote.

Note: A "Forgotten Wonder" is something is less used then the average NU Pokemon / set, but is still powerful enough to be used in the standard metagame. So no Caterpies, Magikarp, Beldum, Etc. Thanks.

Note 2: You can suggest forgotten "sets", for example, OTR Slowking instead of the standard Tank variant.

Note 3: Please do not theorymon. If you have not used a set yourself, do not suggest it.

Step 2: We select what style of team we want to make. This will likely include something along the lines of Offense, Bulky Offense, Stall, Weather, Trick Room, and possibly more.

Step 3: We select Pokemon that work well around our Pokemon and fit the team style and test it.

Step 4: We finalize the team and write up a 5-star RMT!

Well, after going through all of that... BEGIN!

Oh god, this thread is gonna get flooded with imbecilic sets.

I say we try offensive Kangaskhan.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch
- Frustration

It really is just an utter tank that hits really hard on the weaker defensive Pokemon that fill up this metagame.

I hate these threads but ok:

Cinccino (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Return / Tail Slap
- Wake-Up Slap
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast

Best fucking set ever. Technician rapes, especially with Bullet Seed AND Rock Blast. Wake-Up Slap rapes Steel-types for the most part, etc. Base 115 Speed is amazing too :)

Throwing out the idea of Rock Polish Torterra

Torterra (M) @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spd OR 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge

Outspeeds most standards after a single Rock Polish and hits really hard. One of my favorite NU Pokemon.

this guy is so anti meta

Absol @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Sucker Punch
-Swords Dance
-Superpower
-Night Slash / Taunt

You don't event need a Swords Dance to destroy with this guy, he' so powerful it's not even funny. Sucker Punch destroys everything not resistant and Superpower kills everything else. Night Slash is superior IMO but Taunt can support Sucker Punch antics in some situations. Switch in on Slowbro or something and wreak havoc.

Classic but deserves a mention anyway:

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Def
Jolly / Quick Feet

Swords Dance
Facade
Close Combat
Crunch

Best sweeper by far. beats 105s, but needs team support to beat faster threats.

Also, if we wanted to build a defensive team, we could build it around defensive curse miltank:

Miltank @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 SpDef/4 Def
Careful / Scrappy

Curse
Heal Bell
Milk Drink
Body Slam

This one only needs team support to remove boosted special threats like Specs Exeggutor before beginning to set up, since it has excellent bulk.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
^speaking of specs exeggutor I think it would be a great poke to build around. The thing rips in NU, but the low speed and it being kind of frail means it does require paralisys, hazard or even screen support.

Exeggutor @ Choice Specs
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spd
Nature: Modest / Timid
- Leaf Storm
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire
- Sleep Powder

I also love the Torterra suggestion

I love the following set:

Altaria @ Leftovers/Leppa Berry/Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: depends
Nature: depends
Draco Meteor
Power Swap
Roost/Cotton Guard/Fire Blast/Dragon Tail/...
Roost/Cotton Guard/Fire Blast/Dragon Tail/...

Yes, DracoSwap Altaria. This looks really gimmicky, but it's really effective actually (and fuuun). As you can see, it's a very loose set and not fine-tuned to any role. You can go offensive and spam DM without worrying too much, you can swap your -2 on a special attacker to wall'n'troll them, you can snatch a SpA boost from the opponent (letting a Volbeat get to +6 and then swapping a -2 on the recipient is so satisfying) and do much more.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
lmao torterra was what i was going to mention when coming into this thread. it basically comes in for free on things like golem, standard rhydon (watch out for megahorn + ice punch though) and sets up easy. i really only like it end-game though because it doesn't hit hard enough to ohko the bulker mons that a lot of people have, like mesprit. ursaring is also an excellent pokemon; once swellow and scarfers are gone, that thing wreaks havoc on offensive teams and can even break down defensive teams too.

i'd like to take a step back and propose the following set:

swellow @ toxic orb
ability: guts
evs: 252 atk / 4 def / 252 spe
- facade
- u-turn
- brave bird
- quick attack / protect

swellow is by far one of the biggest threats in the metagame and is often the primary reason people run things like rhydon in the first place. i think coupled with a little bit of support (spikes are nice, things that scare off rhydon are nice, etc) swellow is probably the most devastating sweeper in nu.

The thing with Swellow is that it's recognized as probably the best sweeper in the tier. The point of a CCAT is to center a tier around a forgotten threat or something, which Swellow is not.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Going to second Cinccino, that thing is a monster but it needs a decent amount of team support, which makes it a really good choice.

Also, I'm going to throw this set into the mix:

Absol@Leftovers
Adamant Nature
Ability: Super Luck
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Sucker Punch
-Megahorn / Psycho Cut
-Swords Dance
-Substitute

I used SubSD Absol on my first team that peaked at #15 and it is an absolute monster (no pun intended xD). It can set up on a ton of different mons in this tier since there are a lot of Psychic-types (Specs Eggy locked into Psychic/Psyshock anyone?). Once it has a Sub up, you're forced to attack it if you want to force it out, and then you can just Sucker Punch for a massive amount of damage, or SD if you think the opponent will try to stall out Sucker Punch. The filler move is the issue here, with Megahorn you lose to Weezing and Muk and sometimes Fighting-types, with Psycho Cut you lose out to bulky Psychic-types and Grass-types that want to try and set up and be cute (Mesprit sometimes, bulky Serperior sometimes). So yeah, it has the right balance of badassery and needing team support!

Arbok @ Leftovers
Adamant / Intimidate
EVs: 168 HP / 98 Att / 252 Spe
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail / Sucker Punch

Absolute beast, quickly becomes powerful and bulky, not to mention it has quite nice speed. I'm not that great at EV spreads, but I'd love to see a team built around this. Last slot is pick your poison: AT deals with Rhydon, Sucker Punch deals with fast Psychics

While I like the idea of Kangaskan, I personally believe we should put Zebstrika on the team.

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Lonely / motor drive
EVs: 252 attk / 252 speed/ 6 sp attk
- Wild Charge
- Double Kick
- Overheat
- Thunder Wave/Double Edge

I know, I know, zebstrika looks like a sucky mon. But I've used this in higher tiers after trying it out, and it works quite nicely. Double Kick for steel, rock, and ice types, and overheat for grass, ice, and steel types. It's actually decent coverage. Have one mon be the electric bait, and get that motor drive boost. Already at base 116 speed allows it to outspeed the majority of the NU metagame with ease. Only problem with him is that zebstrika is a kamakaze unit. With LO and Wild Charge, it's gonna be losing health fast. But this set works very well though.

So ya, I'm recommending Zebstrika.

Though I don't think he is the best Pokemon to start a team, I'm also partially posting this because it would be a GREAT teammate to anyone of these Pokemon.

Metang @ Eviolite
Adamant / Clear Body
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 SDef
- Hone Claws
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake

While it may hold true that Metang is better used as a Pokemon who covers another's weaknesses, he could be a FINE Pokemon to have a team based around as it checks a lot of the threats in the metagame like Tauros, pretty much any grass type, and Swellow while maintaining decent offensive foce.

Opinions of stuff posted thus far:
-Kangaskhan: I see that working, but I've only seen like 2 Kangaskhans during my entire run in NU, so I'm not sold (unless you can put some calcs and stuff, hint hint).

-Cinccino: Incredibly underrated poke in this meta, I can see results with him. Too bad he doesn't have Skill Link :/

-RP Torterra: The turtle can rape under the right conditions, but I have two suggestions, one major one minor: Change the nature to Jolly and give it 212 Speed EV's so that it can outspeed Scarf base 85's (cough SAWK cough). I also think that Seed Bomb should be slashed over Wood Hammer, for a recoil-free but still strong attack.

-SD + 3 attacks Absol/ SubSD Absol: Both very good sets, although its quite hard to chose which one I would sooner put a vote in for...
However Spork, Absol should always run Super Luck. Crits are always good, and nothing is throwing around Dark type attacks besides other Absol and Dugtrio.

-Ursaring: Without Protect, I find it will be very hard to set up, do you normally get it set up worry-free, or will it need lots of support (which is perfectly manageable if Ursaring is eventually chosen)?

-CurseTank: CurseTank is a boss, 'nuff said.

-Specs Exeggutor: I find that this works incredibly in Sun, but is somewhat lackluster outside of it. If chosen, we pretty much are instantly forced to make a Sun team, so I think it would be more or a supporter than the main poke.

-Altaria: While very undefined right now in terms of well, everything, I can see that working as a major annoyer on any team, and I really want to see this guy in action.

-Swellow: Swellow is great, but its really not a poke to base a team around, as while it does punch major holes in almost any team, it dies waay too quickly, especially with there being almost no Spinners in the tier. Again, more of a supporter.

-Arbok: Good set, but I think you should invest a little in Sp. Def so you can take some hits from the other end of the spectrum.

-Zebstrika: I never really liked Zebstrika to be completely honest. Of course its Speed is amazing, but it just doesn't seem to pack a punch (for example, Double Kick only does 40% to a non-Eviolite Rhydon with no investment in bulk. Kind of meh, but it can be used as a revenge killer.

-Metang: I suggest changing the 4th slot to Hone Claws. After just one, Metang reaches 409 Attack, able to rip holes in many things, as well as making Meteor Mash more reliable. @below. if you want it in a support role, why not Dual Screens?

You guys are awesome, keep coming with the sets!

Added that, but I just want to point out the Metang could go a support role too.

EDIT: You know, now that I think of it, I'll just make the set all about Hone Claws, since it really is good

EDIT2: Yeah Dual Screens is in the Support, just a different name

Vileplume @ Life Orb Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest/Timid Nature

- Sunny Day
- SolarBeam
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Surprisingly powerful. Worked well in Gen 4 since most people expected the Cleric set with Armoatherapy and all that, I haven't played Gen 5 NU yet, but it does fine in UU.

Relicanth @ Life Orb
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
-Head Smash
-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Rock Polish

Oh how I LOVE Relicanth! 90 base attack is decent, but what really sets him off is his STAB 150 base recoil-free Head Smash. Sure, Head Smash has the same shaky accuracy as Stone Edge, but it's 50% stronger and just wrecks shit up.

I don't really like the idea of providing team support for a poke that's going to fail 20% of the time anyway.

Putting foward Altaria.

I've used it myself, although not that many people have, judgeing the the useage stats, and, when used correctly [Aka: Killing Ice users] it can obliterate teams with Dragon/Ground coverage, paired with bulk, and Roost +DD.

It's only real drawbacks are Ice-types are somewhat common, and Altaria kinda needs to get to +2 to get past bulkier pokemon.

Not to mention there's quite a few sets Altaria can run, although the most effective are Dragon Dance, and Cotton Guard Shuffler.

DD Altaria:

Adamant Nature
252 Atk/16 Def/240 Speed

Persim Berry/Lum Berry/Life Orb

- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Or:

CottonTaria

Careful Nature

248 HP/4 Def/252 HP/4 Spd [If I recall, the speed was to outrun +0 Jolly Rhyhorn]

Leftovers/ Lum Berry

Cotton Guard
Roar
Roost
Dragon Claw

Hits 353 HP, 339 Sp.Def, and 217 Def. The Def skyrockets after a Cotton Guard, to the point where Altaria isn't even 2HKO'ed by Stone Edges from the likes of Rhyhorn. Basically, the only thing that'll be OHKO'ing Altaria is Ice Beams/Blizzards, or Critical Rock attacks.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
-Specs Exeggutor: I find that this works incredibly in Sun, but is somewhat lackluster outside of it. If chosen, we pretty much are instantly forced to make a Sun team, so I think it would be more or a supporter than the main poke.
I don't think you need to use Sunny Day with Eggy. It's an option, sure, but even though it's slow as hell it still hits so hard that it doesn't even matter. It just needs to be fast enough to threaten things and imo it works very well even without sun support. Exeggutor is a really good Pokemon in this meta, even without insane speed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)