Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

There is no "IV frame" like there is in Gen 5.
In generation 4, all natures and IVs are tied to each other. The PID and IVs are locked together. The nature can not change for that IV spread, unless if you do shiny chained theoretical. Which is not what method Lugia is under.

Breeding has the separated PID from IVs, but once again. Not Lugia's method.

Inside Lugia's chamber, nothing advances your frame but your movements and/or talking to your walking Pokemon.
Yeah I was kind of comparing it to that. But okay I see, this is my very late reply lol. So NPCs can't mess with my while I am in and outside of the cave correct?

Just so I'm clear, Cresselia's IV's and nature are generated when you wake up Eldritch's son from his nightmares, right? What is the precise moment?

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Just so I'm clear, Cresselia's IV's and nature are generated when you wake up Eldritch's son from his nightmares, right? What is the precise moment?
They're generated when you talk to Cresselia. I didn't even go by to wake up that kid until I needed to catch Darkrai xD

I need help with my soul silver. I have done a good amount in kanto, and I have pokerus, but when I call Elm, he only ever says about pokerus. Please help, and yes, this means I will have more than just 2 4th gens.

Shii

zap
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I need help with my soul silver. I have done a good amount in kanto, and I have pokerus, but when I call Elm, he only ever says about pokerus. Please help, and yes, this means I will have more than just 2 4th gens.
Did you show him Togepi?

Yes, I did
Well you can always use Juggler Irwin if Elm isn't working (Although I don't know why Elm isn't working for you. He should. Did you try changing the date on your DS? Maybe he kept repeating Pokerus just for that one seed). Juggler Irwin is on the route right above Goldenrod. Here are the responses that correspond to Elm's:

K: I'm so glad you called!
P: How are you? (And then a bunch of other questions >.<)
E: Hearing about your escapades rocks my world!

Is anyone still using Emloop for RNG? If so, does anyone else's fail to work properly (when the first timer runs down, the 2nd one fails to start, and the 10 second beeper also doesn't beep...) Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cereza

Tastes Like Candy
I'm going to try fishing RNG but I have a question. You use the rod 3 frames prior your actual frame right? For example; if my pokemon its supposed to appear on frame 254 I should use the rod on frame 251?
EDIT:This is on HG

Is anyone still using Emloop for RNG? If so, does anyone else's fail to work properly (when the first timer runs down, the 2nd one fails to start, and the 10 second beeper also doesn't beep...) Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Make sure that the lower box to the right of the start button reads 0 and the box underneath the timer is checked.

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Well I attempted to capture a Pupitar in Mt. Silver however I couldnt locate the right floor. I hit the seed correctly on every floor yet I kept encountering Quagsire instead of Pupitar. Are the encounter slots for HeartGold wrong?

Princess Emily

Fear the nice-smelling Princess!
Well I attempted to capture a Pupitar in Mt. Silver however I couldnt locate the right floor. I hit the seed correctly on every floor yet I kept encountering Quagsire instead of Pupitar. Are the encounter slots for HeartGold wrong?
Are you using a SoulSilver cart using HeartGold Encounter codes?
Or a HeartGold cart, but using a SoulSilver encounter codes?

HG and SS Encounter codes have some differences BTW.
Or maybe you miscalculated a bit.
BTW, sweet scenting advances 2 frames when in grass or cave.
Or maybe there are roamers still playin' hide-and-go-seek.

V4Victini

再起不能
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnus
Are you using a SoulSilver cart using HeartGold Encounter codes?
Or a HeartGold cart, but using a SoulSilver encounter codes?

HG and SS Encounter codes have some differences BTW.
Or maybe you miscalculated a bit.
BTW, sweet scenting advances 2 frames when in grass or cave.
Or maybe there are roamers still playin' hide-and-go-seek.
I caught/killed all my roamers and Sweet Scent advances it by 1 in my game. I was using a HG cart and this table. I dont know what kind of miscalculation I couldve made. The 1st Sweet Scent landed me on the frame it was supposed to and the Elm Calls matched up. The Quagsire even had the right nature and IVs.

I caught/killed all my roamers and Sweet Scent advances it by 1 in my game. I was using a HG cart and this table. I dont know what kind of miscalculation I couldve made. The 1st Sweet Scent landed me on the frame it was supposed to and the Elm Calls matched up. The Quagsire even had the right nature and IVs.
I believe someone else was having issues with Mt.Silver a while back, are you doing this on emulator or cart? The problem we deduced is that he tried to AR a synch in and it didn't work yet it was throwing everything off(don't ask me how).

I'll get my HG out real quick and just check on my own cart. The only other issue I can think of is Mt. Silvers floors aren't really well defined(serebii says pupitar is on floor 4, our chart says floor 3), and at the same time serebii although saying pupitar is in mt silver doesn't listed it on floor 4(or its %, not that that matters.).

So Ill test on my own DS and get back to you.

EDIT: Went to both floors(4th floor didnt seem to have a problem) but the third floor kept giving me Quagsire's like you said, I'm about to test each individual slot and see if its just a mistake or if it isn't even on that floor.

Reading back several users say the Encounter Slots are wrong for Mt. Silver and suggest catching a Larvitar, so you could always go that route(I'm still gonna test the encounter slots and see if I can get one to pop up).

In 4th gen, where does the game pull random numbers from when determining how many times the pokeball will shake (when catching a pokemon)? It doesn't seem to be the upper 16 bits of the seed like usual, but I'm not exactly sure when the game rolls for these numbers either. I have a hunch though.

Kaphotics

Remodeling Kitchens
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In 4th gen, where does the game pull random numbers from when determining how many times the pokeball will shake (when catching a pokemon)? It doesn't seem to be the upper 16 bits of the seed like usual, but I'm not exactly sure when the game rolls for these numbers either. I have a hunch though.
PRNG, not mersenne

uses modulo (%) to determine each catch value from the upper 16 bits of each seed; if one of them is not lower than the catchvalue it stops the routine then and there. If you were to successfully catch a pokemon, the game would have to draw 4 random #'s and their % be below the catch value for each.

Pretty sure it uses the main PRNG (that is then unwound at the end of the battle), and it advances at a quick pace to ensure randomness. It might store a "next turn seed" at the end of each turn, so be wary of that.

PRNG, not mersenne

uses modulo (%) to determine each catch value from the upper 16 bits of each seed; if one of them is not lower than the catchvalue it stops the routine then and there. If you were to successfully catch a pokemon, the game would have to draw 4 random #'s and their % be below the catch value for each.

Pretty sure it uses the main PRNG (that is then unwound at the end of the battle), and it advances at a quick pace to ensure randomness. It might store a "next turn seed" at the end of each turn, so be wary of that.
Multiple sources say that 4th gen and 3rd gen catch values use the same equations. So that would mean that the catch values in 4th gen would have to be 16 bit numbers. Wouldn't using a modulo on a 16 bit number to make another 16 bit number just spit out itself?

Kaphotics

Remodeling Kitchens
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Multiple sources say that 4th gen and 3rd gen catch values use the same equations. So that would mean that the catch values in 4th gen would have to be 16 bit numbers. Wouldn't using a modulo on a 16 bit number to make another 16 bit number just spit out itself?
If the game uses only the 16 bit seed, then it's just a compare of the upper 16 bits to the current catchvalue (That is, if the sources online are correct).

I got B/W mixed up with gen3/4, it doesn't use the modulo iirc. If you want to test it you'd make codes to freeze the PRNG so that the random numbers compared to the catchvalue are sufficient. Then you just see how it works etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)