Challenge The Scramble Challenge - Mark 2

Alright KS, I suppose I'll take Tobias for you. Will be a Chimchar, as I don't want you having any trouble with Steel type gym leaders like me.

EDIT: KS, take Tobias the Starly. Tobias as a little child was saved from bullies by Jake, and so looks up to him. He must always be in a party position below Jake once he is caught when Jake is in the party, except for major battles. He must also prove himself to Jake by soloing Gardenia, 1 other gym leader, and 1 E4 member. He also wants to show people he truly is the "bird-boy", and such must either solo 35 flying types, 15 of which must be trainer owned OR participate in 5 contests(of any type) with a flying type pokemon, and do better than them(not necessarily in a row) . Props if you take both, and good luck!

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
supersaiyan said:
Rule #9: If you don't have time, don't reserve. After a reservation, you have 30 minutes before it is void.
Even better: Ban reservations altogether. I mean, the one thing I don't like seeing is someone coming up for a new challenge & seeing six placeholder posts for that challenge is ridiculously annoying & unfair. I mean, we've had this problem before & once again, it has become ridiculous.

I mean, seriously, if anything, the only time placeholders should be permitted is at the user who wants the challenge's dicretion. If nothing about reservations is mentioned, then reservations are forbidden. I haven't allowed reservations for my challanges for ages, nor has anyone seen me make placeholders. So, any opinions?

^It seems like a good idea, but what about if you want to have a good backstory in your challange? If you get ninja'd a couple times your possibly wonderful challange goes for naught.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
^It seems like a good idea, but what about if you want to have a good backstory in your challange? If you get ninja'd a couple times your possibly wonderful challange goes for naught.
Use Notepad or something to store your challenges & c/p them in when a challenge comes. It's that simple.

^I don't have the time for that on Microsoft Word, as I'm busy most of the time, and haven't been able to give the types of challanges I want, but I guess that's just my luck. Still, reserving a spot should allow for better challanges.

Even better: Ban reservations altogether. I mean, the one thing I don't like seeing is someone coming up for a new challenge & seeing six placeholder posts for that challenge is ridiculously annoying & unfair. I mean, we've had this problem before & once again, it has become ridiculous.

I mean, seriously, if anything, the only time placeholders should be permitted is at the user who wants the challenge's dicretion. If nothing about reservations is mentioned, then reservations are forbidden. I haven't allowed reservations for my challanges for ages, nor has anyone seen me make placeholders. So, any opinions?
I think that banning reservations altogether would be a big mistake. The simple fact is that there's a bit of a rush as of late to get in your challenge before someone else takes it, and if you don't allow reservations to beat that you are going to end up with rushed, sub-par challenges, which is something I think no one wants. I literally wrote the guide on making good scramblemons, and if you don't do the research your mon is pretty much sure to suck, or at least have issues. If we don't allow people time to do that research (and most reservations are specifically to ensure people have time for that) then there will be consequences.

Use Notepad or something to store your challenges & c/p them in when a challenge comes. It's that simple.
That doesn't work because every scrambler puts different restrictions and requirements on their challenges, and because things can vary significantly between versions and especially between generations. Your Rattata challange for gen IV probably won't work for Gen I. Even if you simply make it like a template, you have to allow time to fill in that template with the proper information, which requires research, which takes time.

What I suggest is something similar to Super Saiyan's original Rule #9. Basically, do away with long term restrictions, as these just frustrate everyone. The scrambler can't start as quickly as they'd like and the other submitters miss out on the chance despite being ready earlier than the reserver. Instead, have reservations expire very quickly, in an hour or less. An hour is more than enough time to look up and create a good scramblemon, but isn't long enough to screw other people over. If you want to give a scramblemon to someone but you don't have time to write one up right then because you're busy or something, oh well, you'll have other opportunities in the future.

I'm just worried about the quality of scramblemons if we were to ban reservations completely. Good scramblemons are what make scrambling fun, and if you undermine that basic element of a scramble challange the whole process falls apart.

I dunno, personally, I get frustrated when I see shit challanges given after a reservation, and then the scrambler rejecting the Pokemon over and over, and they just keep giving more and more bad challanges. Whenever I give a Scramblemon, mostly, it's from the top of my head, but mine are NEVER random. Like the one with Rosie Cavalier, I don't even know who she is, but I just click "Random Article" on Wikipedia and base it off of what I'm looking at. It irks me when you reserve a challange for days on end and I just wanna see how the person's scramble is gonna go. Also, the people that don't read the rules irk me. That's all I have to say on this matter, though.

I'm in full support of banning reservations. People just sit there with reservation slots for forever, and you just wait...and wait...and wait for them to edit it in. It sucks, which is why for my next challenge (which I will announce once I finish Colosseum's main story mode) will have reservations banned.

Alright guys, I want to give this a try. I'll be doing this on HG.

My rules:
-No trading
-Cyndaquil must be my starter and must be 1 of my 6
-Nothing inappropriate
-I can save whenever I want (but I won't during the E4)
-This is my first scramble, so don't make it too hard. ;) (but I still want a challange)

Pippy, take the first wild pokemon you can see on route 32. This pokemon will determine everything else, along with its nature.

Neutral:No restrictions here
+Attack:No Physical moves
+Defense:Must survive 3 trainer solo battles in a row without healing.
+Special Attack:No Special moves
+Special Defense:Must survive 5 soloed trainer battles in a row without healing.
+Speed:Can never attack a faster foe.

Now the pokemon:

Rattata:Solo 20 trainers, Chuck, and 1 E4 member. Must learn Super Fang and always keep it. If it has a +Attack nature, Super Fang does not count.
Bellsprout:Must solo any Sage in Sprout Tower before leveling up even once, 1 gym leader, 15 trainers, and must always carry a powder move.
Mareep:No STAB, must solo 2 gym leaders, 1 E4 member, and 10 trainers. Must always hold the Blackglasses.
Hoppip:Must always keep Splash, use it against every non-reserved gym leader, must solo 1 gym leader and 5 trainers.
Zubat:Must always keep Leech Life, and use it and only it to solo 3 trainers. Solo 1 gym leader, 1 E4 member, and must always hold the Macho Brace.

Good luck, and hope this isn't to hard!!

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
I think that banning reservations altogether would be a big mistake. The simple fact is that there's a bit of a rush as of late to get in your challenge before someone else takes it, and if you don't allow reservations to beat that you are going to end up with rushed, sub-par challenges, which is something I think no one wants. I literally wrote the guide on making good scramblemons, and if you don't do the research your mon is pretty much sure to suck, or at least have issues. If we don't allow people time to do that research (and most reservations are specifically to ensure people have time for that) then there will be consequences.
If you get ninja'd, c/p the challenge into Notepad (Which is in pretty much EVERY working computer/laptop in the entire world) & keep it there for later. The point is, most of us are sick & tired & making a challenge, only to be rejected, because someone went ahead & made a one-word post, & I'm not going to sit by & let this derail the entire point of this thread.

You don't need to research to make a creative, quality challenge. The only research that is completely necessary is when you're reading the scrambler's rules. The best challenges are one's that don't have to be tl;dr, they just need to be simple, easy to understand, & fun. Fun doesn't mean it has to require a backstory (Which is just simply flavour), it just needs to be good enough to give the scrambler a smile on their face. Honestly, when the last reservation debacle was solved, no one really reserved anymore, but we still churned out some pretty damn good challenges.
That doesn't work because every scrambler puts different restrictions and requirements on their challenges, and because things can vary significantly between versions and especially between generations. Your Rattata challange for gen IV probably won't work for Gen I. Even if you simply make it like a template, you have to allow time to fill in that template with the proper information, which requires research, which takes time.
It does. If you have to tailour to a different version, then create the different version & c/p it. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out.
What I suggest is something similar to Super Saiyan's original Rule #9. Basically, do away with long term restrictions, as these just frustrate everyone. The scrambler can't start as quickly as they'd like and the other submitters miss out on the chance despite being ready earlier than the reserver. Instead, have reservations expire very quickly, in an hour or less. An hour is more than enough time to look up and create a good scramblemon, but isn't long enough to screw other people over. If you want to give a scramblemon to someone but you don't have time to write one up right then because you're busy or something, oh well, you'll have other opportunities in the future.

I'm just worried about the quality of scramblemons if we were to ban reservations completely. Good scramblemons are what make scrambling fun, and if you undermine that basic element of a scramble challange the whole process falls apart.
Its_A_Random said:
I mean, seriously, if anything, the only time placeholders should be permitted is at the user who wants the challenge's discretion. If nothing about reservations is mentioned, then reservations are forbidden.
The quality won't drop. As I've said before, You don't need to research to make a creative, quality challenge.

I don't see why you people are complaining. I live in a country where I'm asleep when everyone else is asking for challenges, so I miss out on far more challenge giving opportunities than any of you. Yet I'm not complaining about reserving.

For any challenges I may request in future, my rules are simple. Make a reservation, fill it within an hour of reserving or I won't give a crap about your challenge. ;)

Ok, Platinum Scramble is going well, but a friend of mine needs a Scramble for Crystal version

Rules:

1) Medium difficulty
2) No repeating types
3) Include a nickname and/or backstory
4) Reservations only to avoid ninjas. If a reservation is more than 30-40 minutes old, I'll disregard it

4) Reservations only to avoid ninjas. If a reservation is more than 30-40 minutes old, I'll disregard it
^This was my idea, the basis for Rule #9.

@IAR, your blowing my post out of proportion. Honestly, getting ninja'd sucks. I say placeholders are fine as long as your editing it right then. I say no reservations to be edited later, but a placeholder is fine.

Again:

NO RESERVATIONS TO BE EDITED LATER, BUT A PLACEHOLDER WHILE MAKING A CHALLANGE IS FINE.

Thats the whole point for the time limit. if it hasn't been updated in 30 minutes, its up for grabs.

Thats all I was pointing out, I was trying to help the Scramble Challange Community.

@Tyranitarphantom, have your friend take Solar the Sunkern. This Sunkern loves the sunlight, so it must evolve into Sunflora immediately. Have it learn and keep Sunny Day and Solarbeam. It must set up Sunny Day immidiately when it is sent into battle. Have it solo 1 Gym Leader from Johto and 1 Gym Leader from Kanto. Hope your friend has fun!

@Tyranitarphantom: You get Paladin the Houndour. Right after it was born, it was severely attacked by a Machamp, so it lost the ability to use its STAB moves. Once it solos a Gym Leader, it regains STAB, but may never use any Dark type moves except Thief, and it may not learn Flamethrower until level 50.

...Have fun with an empty spot in your party until Kanto!

Chapter 3 is up with double the gym battles!

So far, haven't had any exciting solos... However the battle against Jazzmine could get a little sticky, so I may have full play by play of that one. I lack a super effective move against Steels, so Dux may have to bring the wrath of the gods.

@Pippy, take a Misdreavus named Missy. Missy loves playing tricks on people and generally being annoying, so it must know at least two non-attacking moves at all times, and use at least one non-attacking move in every trainer battle (Wild Pokemon aren't as fun to mess with as humans). However, fainting is no laughing manner; whenever its hit points get into the yellow or red, you must heal it or switch it out.

Its favorite people to mess with in the whole world, without a doubt, is Gym Leaders. They're so serious, always repeating the same official lines, messing them up is tons of fun, so Missy must participate in every Gym battle that doesn't have to be solo'd. Finally, if Missy is a boy, the other Misdreavus will mock him for his girly name and necklace, so he must solo every Misdreavus and Mismagius. If Missy is a girl, it realizes just how much fun it is to play around with Mankey and Primape; a little flirting calms them, then a trick makes them angry, flirt to get them in love, trick them to make them angry...so obviously Missy needs her playtime by soloing all Mankey and Primape.

TTar phantom's getting a water type from me.

Edit: you get a Wooper called Irrelevant. It thinks it's a DW Quagsire with Unaware, so every time any Pokemon uses a Stat Up move, you must switch in Wooper (or keep it in if it's already in), and then Wooper must KO it.

Since that's relatively unlikely in game, Wooper also has to solo 10 Gym Leader Pokemon, at least 5 of which must be of a level higher than Wooper's, after which you may evolve it into a Quagsire.

And to end it, you must make sure that your other Pokemon have, between them, at least 3 moves that don't deal damage (this means no Toxic, no leech seed, but T Wave is fine), before you evolve Wooper.

See, I'm not always that mean... ;)

Edit 2: I made Edit 1 within five minutes of posting. :D

Tyranitar Phantom, take Mirror the Xatu.

This Xatu thinks it's from the DW and loves mirrors. You must lead with it and do one of two things.

1. If the enemy uses a move that is reflected by Magic Mirror, you must keep Xatu in and use Protect.

2. If the enemy uses an attacking move, Xatu becomes enraged and must solo all the Pokemon on the other team (barring restrictions) until it or the enemy team faints.

Have fun.

Pippy; take a Sudowoodo named Keith.

Keith likes to Rock. It's the only thing he knows, so he can only use Rock-type moves in battle. But you can change that. Keith also likes to learn from the best. Use Mimic to copy a move, use it in battle and knock out the pokemon to effectively master a new skill. For instance; if he mimics Flail from a Magikarp and knocks it out, he can use his own Flail from there on out. Note that Keith can learn level up moves in advance, but can't use them until he learned the skill from another pokémon.

Keith also likes to be the best. He's going to keep score of your challange by earning star points; Mimic and Knock out a pokemon, using the copied move once, in any major battle (Rival, Executive, Legendary, Gymleader, E-4 member) to earn one star point. 2 Points is Bad, 5 Points is Average, 10 Points is good and 15 Points is an Excellent score.

Have Fun!

EDIT: I hate to keep the discussion going, but it seems to me that people are mixing up two different topics here.

Discussion one: People are complaining that they don't get a chance to issue their challange. Connected to this is that they feel that the same people keep hijacking pokemon slots before they get the chance to do something and are often disappointed with the results. I don't like to enforce rules, but I urge people who post frequently to take a step back every once in a while. I guess we could politely attend people to this when needed.

Discussion two: People are complaining about reservations. But most complaints seem to be about people who call dibs and then don't return for an entire day. I noticed that we use different definitions for reservation in this thread. Super Saiyan made an excellent point about these things being Placeholders rather than Dibs. If it takes too long, the person who requested can simply post saying: "Place of XX is up for grabs!" I also agree that he/she could always add a rule to their request.
Random, I agree with some of your points but I find it very useful to see for example Zubat, Totodile and Oddish reserved. Now I know I can safely hand out a late game Fire type without any overlap. I set a placeholder for Growlithe (and maybe Chuck) to let people know to chose something else and start working on my challange in peace. It was never the intention that people went about loitering the entire day. Again, this is a matter of etiquette.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)