Smogon in the News

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
this makes me truely happy that pokemon is going out to more areas such as stony brook, im happy smogon was in the newspaper as well.

As a university student, I really wish there was more of a Pokemon following here. It'd be nice even if they were casual, as most competitive players started casual at some point. I think a club like this would be conducive to that, but I don't have the time or willpower to establish a club like that.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've actually been to this club once or twice, as I was a student at SBU. They have a bunch of pretty cool clubs here; a couple of friends of mine just started up a proper video game club. Nice article.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
“I was a big fan of Pokemon,” said Almon, who has Pokemon like Whimsicott, Ferrothorn and Haxorus on one of his teams. “This could be used to practice.”
Why must you resort to Whimsicott, Almon ;__;

Pretty cool article. I wish that competitive Pokemon (or even Pokemon in general) had a public following at my college. Thanks for sharing, RGB!

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Very cool, my feelings mirror everyone elses. "I wish my college had a bigger pokemon following" :) Smogon getting some well deserved publicity woo woo!

This has nothing to do with competitive battling. Lock!

Honestly can't tell if this is serious... (The quoted post not the topic)

Great that Smogon is getting more credibility though (Ignoring the Gym Gym leader thing). (If anyone actually reads these articles) Maybe this could be a good step towards the people who work on pokemon recognizing Smogon. I just hope nintendo never follows Smogon tiers for official tournments if they take notice of Smogon from any news source. The only thing they should follow is events allowed (Barring Darkrai and Arceus for obvious reasons (Maybe shaymin but not skymin?)) but they never will because they don't want people complaining about how unfair it is if they don't have said event (I mean event legends) and many will think a player is hacking and it will anoy a judge to no end if they have to do like 5 hack checks each round in a tournement.

Sorry about the off topic ness of that. But I do believe the people who work on pokemon tournements should notice this site and realize how certain pokes aren't OP just for being events.

Also read the thing about how it's the best (don't quote me on that may have miss read) site in America. This makes me curious about comepetitive Japanese sites and if they exist.

Cool that Smogon got some recognition but MAN was that article terribly written. Just horrible. Knowing that that was written in a university newspaper made me value my college education just a little bit less.

Edit: For example, listing that many banned items would be completely unnecessary to somebody who plays the game, and completely meaningless to somebody who doesn't. What in god's name was the point?

Length?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Heh I'd wondered the same about the detail but that might be it Fizz. Especially if there was a layout they were trying to fit it to on print. Although there's a lot of other ways they could have done it.
Honestly can't tell if this is serious... (The quoted post not the topic)

Great that Smogon is getting more credibility though (Ignoring the Gym Gym leader thing). (If anyone actually reads these articles) Maybe this could be a good step towards the people who work on pokemon recognizing Smogon. I just hope nintendo never follows Smogon tiers for official tournments if they take notice of Smogon from any news source. The only thing they should follow is events allowed (Barring Darkrai and Arceus for obvious reasons (Maybe shaymin but not skymin?)) but they never will because they don't want people complaining about how unfair it is if they don't have said event (I mean event legends) and many will think a player is hacking and it will anoy a judge to no end if they have to do like 5 hack checks each round in a tournement.

Sorry about the off topic ness of that. But I do believe the people who work on pokemon tournements should notice this site and realize how certain pokes aren't OP just for being events.
They do read this site. They just have no reason to change their bans and likely never will. It has nothing to do with being over or underpowered. Why make a complicated list based on arbitrary definitions of power when a simple clear-cut one (event legends and cover legends) works so well already?

breh

強いだね
has Pokemon like Whimsicott, Ferrothorn and Haxorus on one of his teams
In order to become a Pokemon champion, a user must have all eight badges – Feather, Natural, Inferno, Gym, Cold, Magnet, Occult and Tsume – and move on to the Elite Four. Once up to the Elite Four, the same team of Pokemon must be used so that they can become Champion and be entered into the SBU Hall of Fame. The Elite Four is done by a theme of weather, including Hail, Sunny Day, Sandstorm and Rain Dance. So far, no one has become champion and the Hall of Fame is empty.
lol yeah this really does have little to do with competitive. I'd rather something like vgc was covered; it's a lot easier to look like a good player (to an outsider) on PO if you have a silly title like "gym leader" attached to your name, but the same cannot be said of VGC, in which you actually have concrete prowess (1st at a regional, top 8 at worlds, w/e).

still, interesting to say the least.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
They just have no reason to change their bans and likely never will. It has nothing to do with being over or underpowered. Why make a complicated list based on arbitrary definitions of power when a simple clear-cut one (event legends and cover legends) works so well already?
Didn't they banned Dark Void in VGCs, because it was overpowered?

You need a Darkrai (which is quite hard to get for many players) to teach your smeargle darkvoid. Guess that's the reason.

You need a Darkrai (which is quite hard to get for many players) to teach your smeargle darkvoid. Guess that's the reason.
^Someone who didn't go to the VGC

EVERY Smeargle had Dark Void. And Smeargle was on 1/2 of teams. That's why they banned it, not because one person did it.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
^Someone who didn't go to the VGC

EVERY Smeargle had Dark Void. And Smeargle was on 1/2 of teams. That's why they banned it, not because one person did it.
That's no where close to true...
Didn't they banned Dark Void in VGCs, because it was overpowered?
No reason given. It was annoying, could prolong matches, and was quite a powerful move. Maybe they just didn't like it? In any case it's irrelevant. Our role as competitive players is to take the tools we have and play to win within the rules provided. Their role as tournament and game designers is to create an environment in which we can do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)