Official NBA 2011-12 Season Thread

vashta

"It was pretty cool to watch Tim Duncan from afar"
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Teams to watch: Timberwolves, Grizzlies and Knicks.

Really looking forward to seeing some rookies: Jimmer Fredette, Tristan Thompson and Derrick Williams. Kyrie Irving will be a very underwhelming first pick.

Personally I'm hoping Rubio will get out of the rut he was in during Eurobasket. Then again, look at who he was competing against within the Spanish team itself in particular!

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well this is pretty much the last chance the Celtics have of winning a championship in the next 5 years so I'll at least be paying attention to the league. I'm definitely not going to be an every-game watcher until the playoffs. They really lost me and quite frankly I couldn't care less about 75% of the teams in the league. I'll probably just end up watching Celtics games when I can and that will be it

I'm a bit disappointed at how the lockout ended TBH. I feel like the players got cheated, and I feel like the owners didn't learn from their mistakes. I know this is a stretch, but I was really hoping that the league would contract by a couple of teams. Oh well, maybe next lockout.

I still see the words "tentative" on the deal...it could fall apart still.

I dunno, either way I really don't care, both sides are still greedy fucks, I wouldn't mind seeing the whole season lost if only to prove how stupid both sides were and how much no one really cared (compared to the NFL season potentially being lost).

As for teams to win, I'm guessing whichever had its players staying in shape the most and/or players who have familiarity with the team's system will pull through likely. Really with a shortened season and shortened preseason, it's anyone's game to win the championship.

jimmerjimmerjimmerjimmerjimmerjimmerjimmerjimmerjimmerjimmerjimmer

and that's pretty much all i care about
go kings
and warriors
and magic and raptors
ok maybe jimmer isn't the only thing i care about

I am extremely excited to watch my beloved Clippers! They have been my favorite team since I have started watching basketball. I'm hoping Eric Bledsoe gets some more minutes and lets see if he can develop into more of a pure point guard. And, oh god, I hope DeAndre Jordan doesn't leave come free agency. The Clips have to match whatever offers on his contract. I think the Clippers can really contend for that seventh of eighth playoff seed.

I am also rooting for the Grizzlies. They had a great run in the playoffs, and I think with the return of Rudy Gay that they will be that much better. I am hoping that their team chemistry doesn't drop, but I doubt it because Rudy brings reliable scoring to the table.

Finally, I am looking forward to watching the Heat. No matter the character of the players, they are an excellent team. I am willing to put money that they are in the Finals this year as well, bar some horrendous injury to Lebron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, or Udonis Haslem.

Rookies Watch: Obviously, Kyrie Irving has all eyes on him (maybe not b/c he is playing for the craphole that is the Cleveland Cavaliers). I don't think Derrick Williams will see too many minutes... Be Easy has established himself as the starting forward; Corey Brewer, Wesley Johnson, and Anthony Randolph are scrambling for minutes as well. It will be fun seeing what Minnesota does to clear up the logjam at the forward spots.

Finally it's over, can't wait to watch a couple teams, namely the Clippers, Bulls, and Knicks, but the Lakers are going to bring it home this year. Also I hope Gilbert Arenas has a comeback this season. His series against Atlanta gave me a little hope.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So happy that I'll be able to watch basketball this year. As a Knicks fan, I see good things on the horizon. We'll see your "Old Man" Celtics on Christmas day, Buttered Toast.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yes.

Rooting for mah Bulls this year, although they still need to give rose some more help. Perhaps a consistent 3-point shooter since rose is in the paint like 24/7 (matt boner pl0x?)

-Also looking forward to watching the Knicks

-interesting pool of rookies

-And I'll bet Blake Griffin wrecks his knees this year lol

The Bulls need a shooting guard that can shoot from afar and not be a defensive liability next to Rose. Next thing they need to think about is what to do with Boozer. That guy will almost never play the defense you want him to play.

The Knicks.... no comment. Just gonna wait until free agency for that one, I guess. I'm not entirely sure what Knicks fans are expecting. You don't want to hear my opinion.

The Lakers will be an interesting team to watch this season with new players and Head Coach.

I have a feeling the Miami Heat will have a rough start in the season, as a Heat fan (Born in Miami) I expect Bosh, James, and Wade to have better chemistry in their second year playing together but it all comes down to rest of the team.

Wonder how the Suns are gonna fare, I mean Nash and Hill are still getting older, there's still no answer for lack of Amare, etc.

Oh well, I'll be rooting for them along with the Knicks and jumping back onto the Heat bandwagon.

Rooting for mah Bulls this year, although they still need to give rose some more help. Perhaps a consistent 3-point shooter since rose is in the paint like 24/7 (matt boner pl0x?)
The Bulls need a shooting guard that can shoot from afar and not be a defensive liability next to Rose.
I think the Bulls are fine without a new shooting guard. They have Kyle Korver, Ronnie Brewer, and Keith Bogans (Rasual Butler's contract is expiring). Korver and Bogans are excellent three-point shooters, although Brewer is not. Bogans and Brewer are both great defenders man-to-man and Brewer can defend taller guards in the post as well. I would say the reason for the Bull's poor (for a contender, average in the league) offense this year was not because of the personnel, but because of the system. I am of the opinion that Thibodeau had little time to implement his offense because of the limited time available. This was evident when we saw the Bulls take too long to get into their offensive sets and players would bump into each other (a little exaggerated on my part but there were some instances), etc. Let's give the Bulls another season and then see if they need a new 2 guard.

If they do get a new off guard, I hope they do not sign Vince Carter, Jason Richardson, or Jamal Crawford. Now, I am not too sure on Rip Hamilton's defense, but he doesn't bring much to the table for the Bulls considering they have Korver already to run off screens (something they will do more often this season for sure). I hate the aforementioned three's effort on defense.

On another note, the Bulls have the draft rights to Nikola Mirotic, who is an excellent stretch four at the age of 20. He has loads of experience playing in the Euroleague. God, the Bulls did a great job drafting him at 23. I am hoping that he comes over in two or three years.

Maybe the Suns can bank on trading Nash for a rebuilding piece.
The only thing is no one else really wants Nash for whatever reason I thought? Isn't everyone always going on how old he is, how he's not the stereotypical PG, etc?

That and I'd probably bail on the Suns if they got rid of Nash, they have no one else at PG besides some Rockets loser that they traded Dragic for last season anyways.

They have Kyle Korver
Defensive liability at times (ESPECIALLY in isos).

Ronnie Brewer
Offensive liability.

Keith Bogans
I've watched Bogans for years for the Magic and Spurs and I can honestly say that he's lost his use as a starter. Just plain inconsistent at times.

Your point about Thibodeau is correct, though. It is true that he did not have time to implement an offense.. but he IS originally a defensive coach, so there may never be a "good" offense.

However, I feel like this problem will be never-ending. Reason being is that the SG position is so important both offensively and defensively. If you could have someone who produced on both ends at the floor consistently, they would stand a stronger chance against this perimeter star infested league. Otherwise, the Bulls are always going to face one or the other (or both): being pzowned at that position, or Derrick Rose not getting the space he needs because you can just double team him from the 2 constantly (and Deng, while a good three point shooter at times, is still pretty average). Thibodeau in fact literally had to debate in the Heat series on whether or not he'd risk shooting for defense and vice-versa plenty of times.

They don't need a Jason Richardson or Jamal Crawford (oh god no). Aaron Affalo or OJ Mayo would do just fine. They just need scoring and athleticism/size enough at that spot. The Bulls honestly just need some scoring in general. Rose is the only guy that can honestly create his own shot and they only really have 3/4 above average perimeter shooters (and unfortunately, that's all half of them can do).

Now, I am not too sure on Rip Hamilton's defense
I would say it's serviceable for Thibodeau's system.. by the way, did you just really compare Hamilton to Kyle Korver in scoring? Let's not get carried away.. Rip is better than Kyle Korver in every single way possible. Rip has single-highhandedly killed teams by himself. He would definitely be your second most dangerous scorer on most nights; maybe even first.

The only thing is no one else really wants Nash for whatever reason I thought?
There are 29 other teams in the league. Any superstar is desired.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just throwing this out there, but does anyone want to do fantasy basketball for this shortened season?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)