Masquerain (Analysis) [GP 2/2]

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Masquerain actually has a few things which are viable, but I wasn't really sure which sets to actually include since they're really similar to each other. Right now, I have an Offensive Quiver Dance set with a defensive EV spread in AC (I was thinking of making it a set on its own, but ehhh), and Agility which I feel is decent and plays differently enough for its own set, but I am willing to listen to suggestions about which I should have as full sets.

Masquerain

Status: NU analysis's are done, so I will be working on this, though it may take a while. However, I am determined to write this up, so please don't ask to take this over unless this needs to be onsite asap (though considering it's Masquerain, I sincerely doubt it)

[Overview]

<p>Despite his initial appearance as just another terrible Bug / Flying type, Masquerain is far different from that. With staple Water-type moves such as Scald and Hydro Pump, Intimidate to create switch-in opportunities, and access to Quiver Dance, Masquerain can be a decent Quiver Dance sweeper. While it might seem like Masquerain is outclassed by Butterfree, he has a key move that makes him incredibly unique and worth using: Baton Pass. In RU, the only other Pokemon capable of using the combination of Baton Pass and Quiver Dance is Smeargle, and Smeargle cannot use Quiver Dance to his own advantage in the way Masquerain can, nor is he as bulky as Masquerain. This lets Masquerain act as a powerful offensive sweeper who is also a fantastic team player thanks to his ability to Baton Pass his Quiver Dance boosts to another more dangerous sweeper, allowing it to sweep in his stead. Despite his crippling weakness to Stealth Rock, awful typing, and mediocre stats, Masquerain is a very welcome addition to a team when he is given the correct support.</p>

[SET]
name: Quiver Dance
move 1: Quiver Dance
move 2: Bug Buzz / Air Slash
move 3: Hydro Pump
move 4: Baton Pass
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
ability: Intimidate
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Quiver Dance to buff his mediocre Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed to very respectable levels, Masquerain becomes a very capable sweeper, as he can use his unique coverage in addition to the stat boosts from Quiver Dance to rip through opposing teams. Thanks to Intimidate, Masquerain will have plenty of opportunities to switch in, and even though his typing is filled with crippling weaknesses, his 4x resistances to Grass- and Fighting-type attacks, alongside his immunity to Ground-type attacks, allows him to switch into common threats such as Gallade, Roselia, and Tangrowth, though note that he must still be careful of super effective Hidden Powers from the latter two. However, this is not Masquerain's main niche; what truly separates him from the other generic Quiver Dance sweepers is his access to Baton Pass. Thanks to this gem of a move, Masquerain suddenly transforms from a decent sweeper to a powerful team player with the added benefit of posing an offensive threat.</p>

<p>Bug Buzz and Hydro Pump form Masquerain's offensive coverage, and thanks to their exemplary neutral coverage together, Masquerain can usually deal with most Pokemon quite easily. Bug Buzz is Masquerain's strongest STAB move, and Hydro Pump trashes Pokemon such as Aggron, Steelix, or Entei who might try to switch into Bug Buzz. Furthermore, in RU, the only common Pokemon who resist the combination are Poliwrath and Qwilfish. However, Air Slash is a very decent alternative to Bug Buzz, as only Lanturn resists the combination of Air Slash and Hydro Pump. Air Slash, at the cost of a little power, has the added bonus of hitting troublesome Pokemon such as Hitmonchan for super effective damage. Unfortunately, Air Slash gives Masquerain issues with Pokemon he should have no problem dealing with, such as the omnipresent Slowking, Uxie, and Rotom-C. In the last slot, Baton Pass is naturally recommended, as it allows Masquerain to escape from troublesome situations while passing on the boosts he has accrued to a Pokemon who would easily be able to take on the incoming threat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With 252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature, Masquerain outspeeds everything up to max Speed base 115 Speed Pokemon after a Quiver Dance. This is important, as it ensures that Masquerain can Baton Pass out of those threatening Pokemon before they can crush him with a super effective STAB attack. The Speed investment also allows him to outspeed common opponents such as maximum Speed Omastar and Crawdaunt, 230 Speed Swords Dance Feraligatr, and Hitmonchan before a Quiver Dance. Maximum Special Attack is necessary to allow Masquerain to hit as hard as possible. Alternatively, a defensive spread designed just to Baton Pass Quiver Dance boosts is a plausibility, but Masquerain's slew of weaknesses and low Speed make it extremely easy for the opponent to just switch in a Pokemon who can KO Masquerain with a super effective move.</p>

<p>There are also quite a few variations that can be made to this set. Roost is a fairly viable option thanks to Masquerain's surprisingly decent bulk, especially after a Quiver Dance, and it enables Masquerain to stick around to Baton Pass Quiver Dance boosts. Scald is another option that Masquerain can use instead of Hydro Pump. Despite its significantly weaker Base Power, it is far more reliable due to its perfect accuracy, and its chance to burn opponents can be extremely useful in allowing Masquerain to set up more Quiver Dances. Substitute is a good option to block status and Dragon Tail, and it can also be Baton Passed, though note that Masquerain will often lack the coverage necessary to sweep. Leftovers is the recommended item to give Masquerain a bit more longevity, but a Life Orb gives Masquerain more power to increase his chances of successfully sweeping. Additionally, if a Life Orb is used, another coverage move can be used in the last slot, but Baton Pass is almost always the better option.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is horrendously crippling for Masquerain; thus, spinners are a necessity when using him. Kabutops, Sandslash, Cryogonal, and Hitmonchan are fantastic choices for this job, as the former two can also set up Stealth Rock and the latter two can Rapid Spin reliably. Entry hazards are also useful to aid in Masquerain's sweep, and they can be set up by either suicide entry hazard users such as Accelgor and Aerodactyl or more bulky ones such as Omastar, Roselia, Ferroseed, Qwilfish, and Crustle. They also fit in nicely with the more offensive teams that Masquerain should be used on. If entry hazards are used, a spinblocker is also appreciated, though it is not really a necessary addition. Cofagrigus is perhaps the best spinblocker to use alongside Masquerain, as offensive Trick Room variants will appreciate the boosts to their Special Attack and Special Defense, while the Speed boosts aren't even that detrimental; Cofagrigus is so slow that it will still be slower than the majority of RU even after a few Quiver Dances, so it can still take advantage of the powers of Trick Room.</p>

<p>Masquerain needs other special sweepers to back him up, as they can deal with some of the more troublesome Pokemon for him, and the Quiver Dance boosts he can Baton Pass greatly assist them. Sceptile, Rotom-C, Rotom, Moltres, Sigilyph, Slowking, and other such Pokemon are thus wonderful partners. However, because this means that you will often stack numerous special attackers onto a team, other physical attackers are actually good partners too, as they can break through troublesome special walls while still benefiting from Quiver Dance thanks to the Speed boost it provides. Aggron, Rhydon, Hariyama, Archeops, Entei, and similar physical attackers work wonderfully well because of this. Furthermore, the latter two can even run mixed sets to muscle through the physical walls that give them trouble, such as Steelix and Kabutops, respectively. Masquerain will thus work particularly well on offensive or offensively oriented balanced teams due to his ability to assist his teammates while still providing the necessary offensive pressure.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Even though he has a larger movepool than most other Bug-types, Masquerain is still incredibly limited due to his mediocre stats. Still, he does have a few cool choices at his disposal. Masquerain has a variety of other special moves he can use to hit specific threats, including Ice Beam, Hidden Power Ground, Giga Drain, and Shadow Ball, but most of the time, one of Masquerain's STAB moves alongside Hydro Pump or Scald will provide sufficient coverage. However, because of this excellent collection of special moves, Choice sets are viable options, though Masquerain does not excel at using them. A Choice Specs set is typically too slow and reliant on prediction to do much damage, while a Choice Scarf set is still not fast enough to beat most common threats and is rather weak. The final nail in the coffin for Choice sets on Masquerain is the fact that he is 4x weak to Stealth Rock, which means that he will be unable to switch in frequently enough to KO opponents with his coverage moves.</p>

<p>Masquerain has some neat support options in Stun Spore and Haze, which can be nasty surprises for certain sweepers, but with his slew of weaknesses and average defenses, Masquerain simply can't take on most of these threats. Still, he does have access to reliable recovery in Roost, and Intimidate can help cushion some of those lethal attacks, so it isn't necessarily a terrible option. Masquerain can also set up Rain Dance; his Water-type moves will benefit from the rain, and his resistance to Grass-type attacks and access to Roost are helpful, but other than that, Masquerain has nothing special to distinguish himself from other, more reliable users of the move such as Uxie.</p>

<p>Finally, Masquerain has another boosting move in Agility. While Quiver Dance is usually a much better option due to its Special Attack boost, Agility is viable for a few reasons. First of all, even after a Quiver Dance, Masquerain is fairly slow, and he fails to outspeed threats such as Sceptile, who can then proceed to decimate him with Hidden Power Rock. Agility, on the other hand, will allow Masquerain to outrun these Pokemon and nail them with a decently powered Air Slash, Bug Buzz, or Hydro Pump. Furthermore, it is arguably much easier to find suitable partners who can take advantage of an Agility boost, as almost everything appreciates a +2 boost to Speed. However, the main issue with an Agility set is that Masquerain is simply too weak to be able to sweep, and by using Agility, Masquerain is forgoing his one main niche—passing Quiver Dance boosts—for something that many other Pokemon can do just as well.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As a Bug / Flying type, Masquerain's worst enemy is Stealth Rock. Losing 50% of his HP, especially considering he isn't the bulkiest Pokemon around, is detrimental to his success, and by keeping it on the field, Masquerain will be severely crippled. Furthermore, keeping Stealth Rock up limits the number of times Masquerain can Baton Pass his boosts, making him and his team much easier to deal with.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, due to Baton Pass, Masquerain is actually fairly difficult to wall by conventional means, as he can simply Baton Pass out of any counter into a Pokemon who can easily dispose of that counter. Thus, phazers and Pokemon with Haze are probably your best bet in countering Masquerain, as by phazing him or simply removing the boosts, Masquerain cannot simply Baton Pass out. Munchlax and Mandibuzz are the premier choices for the job, as their amazing special bulk will allow them to take on whatever special attacker Masquerain Baton Passes to, and they can phaze Masquerain away with Whirlwind. Similarly, Cryogonal works well, as it also has wonderful special bulk while possessing Haze to remove all the boosts Masquerain has accrued. However, its slew of weaknesses will also mean that it will be easier for Masquerain's teammates to take it down. Other phazers such as Hariyama, Drapion, Steelix, and Slowking are also decent temporary solutions, but the former two's comparatively worse bulk and the fact that the latter two will be decimated by Hydro Pump or Bug Buzz, respectively, mean that you shouldn't rely on them to deal with Masquerain for the entire match.</p>

<p>For more offensive teams, it's important to remember that Masquerain isn't overly fast after a Quiver Dance. As he only outspeeds Pokemon up to maximum Speed base 115s, naturally faster Pokemon such as Aerodactyl, Sceptile, and Accelgor will easily destroy him with a 4x super effective Stone Edge or Hidden Power Rock. Alternatively, faster Choice Scarf Pokemon work just as well, and Manectric, Galvantula, Typhlosion, Scyther, Primeape, Rotom, Moltres, and Rotom-C will all outspeed Masquerain after a Quiver Dance and easily KO him with a super effective move. However, make sure to remember that you can't just haphazardly switch these Pokemon in, as they are almost all hit super effectively by one of Masquerain's STAB moves or Hydro Pump.</p>

Intimidate could possibly make it easier for Masquerain to switch into resisted physical hits easier. I said resisted since Masquerain can't absorb neutral physical hits at even -1 without taking a lot of damage.

- Cryogonal is a particularly good counter since it can Haze away boosts and has a massive Special Defense stat.
Cryogonal can also hit Masquerain for super effective damage with Ice Beam.

- Various other Special Moves (Ice Beam, HP Ground, Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, Bug Buzz).
Masquerain also receives Giga Drain.

- Masquerain is a Bug / Flying-type with some Water-type staple moves, like Scald, Hydro Pump
- Masquerain suffers heavy competition from Mothim and Butterfree as a Quiver Dance sweeper, as his large movepool now means little as they have both received Tinted Lens from the Dream World.
Tinted Lens isn't much when Masquerain's Hydro Pump hits Fire- and Rock-types for super effective damage in one move. If anything, STAB Tinted Lens Bug Buzz hits for roughly 56% as much damage on these Pokemon vs super effective Hydro Pump.

I'm doubting the effectiveness of the Agility set. It just doesn't seem like there's any purpose if one could simply use Quiver Dance instead.

I'm doubting the effectiveness of the Agility set. It just doesn't seem like there's any purpose if one could simply use Quiver Dance instead.
Yeah, Quiver dance is much better, it helps Sp Atk as well with a +1, and the Sp def boost is kind of irrelevant, but still.

And manetric is probably a good counter, As it outspeeds masquerain even after a quiver dance, and it has super effective STAB.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, Quiver dance is much better, it helps Sp Atk as well with a +1, and the Sp def boost is kind of irrelevant, but still.

And manetric is probably a good counter, As it outspeeds masquerain even after a quiver dance, and it has super effective STAB.

manectric speed=105, masquerain after quiver dance= 115

idk does it survive a bug buzz? it may still work

scarf braviary can probably switch in and KO with brave bird if you are looking for counters, this thing is surprisingly good

edit: nop mane is cleanly Koed

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
@Omicron and Lesser Smaug: Thanks for those catches, added the AC Substitute mention for Quiver Dance (eh, don't really think it's worth a slash since I've personally found Roost to be more useful), and fixed all that other stuff that was mentioned.

@athleteandy1 and kingcharizard: I did expect some doubtfulness about the Agility set, but I really do think it's worthy of a set. When I used Quiver Dance Masquerain, I found it incredibly irritating that Masquerain was so horribly slow, as it meant that people could easily switch in a revenge killer and be left in a fairly poor position. Agility does remedy this to some extent, since after an Agility Masquerain will be able to outspeed those revenge killers and KO them with Hydro Pump / Baton Pass the Agility boost. I also found that Agility is a much easier boost to Baton Pass, since it meant that I didn't need to make half my team special sweepers just to benefit from a potential Baton Passed Quiver Dance, and +2 Speed is more useful to Pokemon who aren't special sweepers than +1 Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed. I just feel that Agility Masquerain is viable enough to deserve a set.

SilentVerse

Into the New World
It probably could since the two sets are so similar, but Agility plays different enough from Quiver Dance imo. Like I said, Quiver Dance generally needs a bunch of special sweepers to benefit from it, whereas Agility can have more flexibility as to what recipients it could have.

I feel the Agility set should be used more as a late-game cleaner and a Baton Pass user than a sweeper. When everything is weakened and problem Pokemon can no longer service the foe, Masquerain can simply finish off the opponents - that wallbreakers leave huge holes in - with Air Slash and Hydro Pump. Maybe a wallbreaker can be Agility Masquerain's partner? Masquerain can Baton Pass an Agility to the wallbreaker to give it more hole-punching chances. Masquerain can then clean up by acquiring another speed boost late-game...

- 252 Speed and a Timid Nature allow Masquerain to outspeed everything up to max Speed base 115s. This allows you to Baton Pass out of them before they can hit Masquerain with a SE attack. Max Special Attack also allows Masquerain to hits things hard and attempt to sweep
It should be worded so that it says it can outspeed neutral base 130s and positive base 114s, and cannot outspeed positive base 115s and neutral base 140s (Electrode), assuming a Timid nature.

- Silver Wind / Ominous Wind with Baton Pass, though they are reliable.
They aren't that reliable for retrieving Baton Pass boosts.

It probably could since the two sets are so similar, but Agility plays different enough from Quiver Dance imo. Like I said, Quiver Dance generally needs a bunch of special sweepers to benefit from it, whereas Agility can have more flexibility as to what recipients it could have.
But that's what a slash is for. Then you could mention in the ac why one would use Agility over Quiver Dance, because of the teammates needed. Really doesn't deserve its own set, imo.

^ If two sets play differently and fulfill different roles, they typically deserve seperate sets. Leave the decision up to the actual QC team, but leave it alone for now. I personally agree with SilentVerse on this one.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The extra Speed of Agility gives it more utility to Baton Pass, and the threat of Quiver Dance is usually enough to throw the opponent off guard. I think that two separate sets is fine.

QC APPROVED 1/3

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Deslash Roost from the QD set and just mention it in AC. Hydro Pump is cool, and you'll rarely have a chance to use Roost anyway. Substitute is a better option for that slot (though still inferior to Hydro Pump).

And sorry, but I'm gonna say no to the Agility set. BPing Speed by itself just isn't very good, and even if it was there are much better options for it (Ninjask and Gligar come to mind). And Masquerain is way too weak to try to sweep without a SpA boost. I understand the advantages that Agility has over QD, but really that's more to do with Masquerain being a bad Pokemon than Agility being a good set. If it didn't have Quiver Dance, it wouldn't be getting an RU analysis at all, so that's the only set that should go up.

VM me when that's done and I'll stamp.

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, after discussing this with Zdrup15, we decided on some changes that we think you should implement:

• Move Agility to OO
  • Have Bug Buzz as the main slash with Air Slash (so Bug Buzz / Air Slash rather than Air Slash / Bug Buzz)
  • Faster scarfers (+speed base 80s and above) to checks and counters

With this changes, consider this

QC APPROVED 2/3

Amateur GP Check

[Overview]

<p>Despite his initial appearance as just another terrible Bug / Flying type, Masquerain is far different from them. With Water-type staple moves such as Scald, and Hydro Pump, and Ice Beam in his movepool good coverage move in Ice Beam, Intimidate to create switch-in opportunities, and access to Quiver Dance, Masquerain can be a decent Quiver Dance sweeper thanks to his plethora of switch in opportunities and fantastic coverage. While thisit may seem like it would just make Masquerain decent, as he would still appear outclassed by Butterfree as a sweeper thanks to her access to Tinted Lens and Sleep Powder, the key move that Masquerain hasMasquerain is outclassed by Butterfree, Masquerain has a key move that makes him incredibly unique and something worth using is: Baton Pass. In RU, the only other Pokemon capable of using the combination of Baton Pass and Quiver Dance is Smeargle, and Smeargle cannot use it offensivelyto his own advantage in the way Masquerain can, nor is Smeargle as bulky as Masquerain. This lets Masquerain act as a powerful offensive sweeper who is also a fantastic team player thanks to his ability to Baton Pass his Quiver Dance boosts to another, more dangerous sweeper, allowing them to sweep in his stead. Despite his crippling weakness to Stealth Rock, awful typing, and mediocre stats, Masquerain can beis a very welcome addition to a team when he is given the correct support.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a powerful boosting move in Quiver Dance to buff Masquerain's mediocre Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed to very respectable levels, Masquerain suddenly becomes a very capable sweeper, abusings he can abuse his unique coverage in addition to the stat boosts from Quiver Dance to rip through opposing teams. Thanks to Intimidate, Masquerain will have plenty of opportunities to switch in, and even though his typing is filled with crippling weaknesses, his 4x resistances to Grass- and Fighting-type attacks, alongside his immunity to Ground-type attacks allows him to switch into common threats such as Gallade, Roselia, and Tangrowth, though note that he must still be careful of super effective Hidden Powers from the latter two. However, this is not really the main niche of Masquerain. What truly separates Masquerain from the other generic Quiver Dance sweepers is his access to Baton Pass. Thanks to this gem of a move, Masquerain suddenly transforms from a somewhat decent sweeper to a powerful team player who has the added benefit of posing an offensive threat.</p>

<p>Bug Buzz and Hydro Pump form Masquerain's offensive coverage, and thanks to their exemplary neutral coverage together, Masquerain can usually deal with most Pokemon quite easily. Bug Buzz is Masquerain's strongest STAB move, whileand Hydro Pump trashes Pokemon such as Aggron, Steelix, or Entei who might try to switch into Bug Buzz. Furthermore, in RU, the only common Pokemon who resist the combination are Poliwrath and Qwilfish. However, Air Slash is a very decent alternative to Bug Buzz, as only Lanturn resists the combination of Air Slash and Hydro Pump, and Air Slash. Air Slash, at the cost of just a little power, has the added bonus of hitting troublesome Pokemon such as Hitmonchan for super effective damage, at the cost of just a little power overall. Unfortunately, Air Slash makgives Masquerain have issues with Pokemon who he should have no problem dealing with, such as the omnipresent Slowking, Uxie, and Rotom-C. In the last slot, Baton Pass is naturally recommended as it allows Masquerain to escape from troublesome situations while passing on the boosts he has accrued to a Pokemon who would easily be able to take on the incoming threat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With 252 Speed EVs and a Timid Nature, Masquerain outspeeds everything up to max Speed base 115s Speed Pokemon after a Quiver Dance. This is important,(Comma) as it ensures that Masquerain can Baton Pass out of those threatening Pokemon before they can crush him with a super effective STAB attack. This amount of Speed investment also allows him to outspeeds common opponents such as max Speed Omastar and Crawdaunt, standard Swords Dance Feraligatr (specify Feralgatr's Speed), and Hitmonchan before a Quiver Dance. Max Special Attack is then necessary to allow Masquerain to hit as hard as possible to help him sweep. Alternatively, using a defensive spread designed just to Baton Pass Quiver Dance boosts is a plausibility, but Masquerain's slew of weaknesses and low Speed make it extremely easy for the opponent to just switch in something whothat can KO Masquerain with a super effective move.</p>

<p>There are also quite a few variations that can be made to this set. Roost is actually a fairly viable option thanks to Masquerain's surprisingly decent bulk, especially after a Quiver Dance, and it enables Masquerain to stick around to Baton Pass Quiver Dance boosts. Scald is another option that can be used overinstead of Hydro Pump. Despite its significantly weaker bBase pPower, it is far more reliable due to its perfect accuracy, and its chance to burn opponents can be extremely useful in allowing Masquerain to set up more Quiver Dances. Substitute is a good option to block status and Dragon Tail, and it can also be Baton Passed, though note that Masquerain will often lack the coverage necessary to sweep. Leftovers are the recommended item to give Masquerain a bit more longevity, but Life Orb will give Masquerain the most power, as it increasinges his chances of successfully sweeping. Additionally, if Life Orb is used, another coverage move can be used in the last slot, but Baton Pass is almost always the better option.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is horrendously crippling for Masquerain; thus, Rapid Sspinners are a necessity when using him. Kabutops, Sandslash, Cryogonal, and Hitmonchan are fantastic choices for this job, due to the former two's ability to set up Stealth Rock while Rapid Spinning, and the latter two's reliability. Entry hazards are also useful,(Comma) as Masquerain is fairly weak, and they can be set up by either suicide entry hazard users such as Accelgor and Aerodactyl, or more bulky ones such as Omastar, Roselia, Ferroseed, Qwilfish, or Crustle. They also fit in nicely with the more offensive teams that Masquerain should be used on. If entry hazards are used, a spinblocker canis also be a niceappreciated, though it is not really a necessary addition. Cofagrigus is perhaps the best spinblocker that could be used alongside Masquerain, as Offensive Trick Room variants will appreciate the boosts to itstheir Special Attack and Special Defense, while the Speed boosts aren't even that detrimental as Cofagrigus is so slow that even after a few Quiver Dances, Cofagrigusit will still be slower than the majority of RU even after a few Quiver Dances, allowing it to still harness the powers of Trick Room.</p>

<p>Masquerain needs other special sweepers to back him up, as the Quiver Dance boosts he will Baton Pass will greatly assist them, while they can deal with some of the more troublesome Pokemon for Masquerainy can deal with some of the more troublesome Pokemon for Masquerain and the Quiver Dance boosts he will Baton Pass will greatly assist them. Sceptile, Rotom-C, Rotom, Moltres, Sigilyph, Slowking, and other such Pokemon are thus wonderful partners. However, sincbecause this means that you will often stack numerous special attackers onto a team, other physical attackers are actually good partners too, since they will break through troublesome special walls while still benefiting from Quiver Dance thanks to the slight Speed boost it provides. Aggron, Rhydon, Hariyama, Archeops, Entei, and similar physical attackers work wonderfully well because of this. Furthermore, the latter two may even run some special attacks, which benefit from Quiver Dance, to muscle through the physical walls that give them trouble, such as Steelix and Kabutops respectively. Masquerain will thus work particularly well on offensive, or m ore offensively oriented balanced teams due to his ability to assist his teammates while still providing the necessary offensive pressure.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Even though he may have a larger movepool than most other Bug-types, Masquerain is still incredibly limited due to his mediocre stats. Still, he does have a few cool choices at his disposal. Masquerain has a variety of other special moves, such as Ice Beam, Hidden Power Ground, Giga Drain, and Shadow Ball,(Comma) which can be used depending on the targets you wish to hit, but most of the time, one of Masquerain's STAB moves alongside Hydro Pump or Scald will provide sufficient coverage. However, because of this awesome collection of special moves, Choice sets are fairly usable, though Masquerain does not excel at using them. A Choice Specs set would usually be too slow and reliant on prediction to do much damage, while a Choice Scarf set is still not fast enough to beat most common threats, and such a set would be rather weak. The final nail in the coffin for Choice sets on Masquerain is the fact that he is 4x weak to Stealth Rock, which means that Masquerain will be unable to switch in enough times to KO something with his coverage moves.</p>

<p>Masquerain has some neat support options in Stun Spore and Haze, which can be a nasty surprises for certain sweepers, but with his slew of weaknesses and average defenses, Masquerain simply can't take on most of the threats in which those moves would be useful in dealing with. Still, he does have access to reliable recovery in Roost, and Intimidate can help cushion some of those lethal attacks, so it isn't necessarily a terrible option. Masquerain can also set up Rain Dance, with; his Water-type moves towill benefiting from the rain, and his resistance to Grass-type attacks and access to Roost are helpful, but other than that, Masquerain has nothing special to distinguish himself from other, more reliable users of the move such as Uxie.</p>

<p>Finally, Masquerain has another alternative boosting move in Agility. While Quiver Dance is usually a much better option due to its Special Attack boost, Agility is actually pretty viable for a few reasons. First of all, even after a Quiver Dance, Masquerain is fairly slow, as he fails to outspeeds threats such as Sceptile, who can then proceed to decimate him with a Hidden Power Rock. Agility, on the other hand, will easily outstrip those kinds of threats and Masquerain will be able to nail them with a surprisingly decently powered Air Slash, Bug Buzz, or Hydro Pump. Furthermore, it is arguably much easier to find suitable partners who can take advantage of an Agility boost, as almost everything appreciates having their Speed doubled. However, the main issue with an Agility set is simply that Masquerain is too weak to be able to sweep with just an Agility, and by using Agility, Masquerain is forgoing his one main niche in Quiver Dance passing for something that many other Pokemon can do just as well.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As a Bug / Flying type, Masquerain's worst enemy is clearly Stealth Rock. Losing 50% of his HP, especially considering he isn't the bulkiest Pokemon around, is detrimental to his success, and by keeping it on the field, Masquerain will be severely crippled. Furthermore, as one of Masquerain's more troublesome traits is his ability to Baton Pass his boosts, keeping Stealth Rock up will limit the amount of times he can do so, which will makemaking him and his team so much easier to deal with.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, due to Baton Pass, Masquerain is actually fairly difficult to wall by conventional means, as any counter can simply be Baton Passed out of into a Pokemon who can easily dispose of that counter. Thus, phazers and Pokemon with Hazers are probably your best bet in countering Masquerain, as by phazing him out or simply removing the boosts, Masquerain cannot simply Baton Pass out. Munchlax and Mandibuzz are the premier choices for the job, as their amazing special bulk will allow them to take on whatever special attacker Masquerain Baton Passes into, and they can phaze Masquerain away with Whirlwind. Similarly, Cryogonal works well, as it also has wonderful special bulk while possessing Haze to remove all the boosts Masquerain has accrued. However, its slew of weaknesses will also mean that it will be easier for Masquerain's special attacking teammates to take it down. Other phazers and hazers such as Hariyama, Drapion, Steelix, and Slowking will also be decent temporary solutions, but the former two's comparatively worse bulk, and the fact that the latter two will be decimated by Hydro Pump or Bug Buzz respectively means that you shouldn't rely on them to deal with Masquerain for the entire match.</p>

<p>For more offensive teams, it's really just important to remember that Masquerain isn't overly fast after a Quiver Dance. SinceAs he only outspeeds Pokemon up to max Speed base 115s Speed Pokemon, naturally faster Pokemon such as Aerodactyl, Sceptile, and Accelgor will easily destroy Masquerain with a 4x super effective Stone Edge or Hidden Power Rock. Alternatively, faster scarfersChoice Scarf Pokemon work just as well, and Manectric, Galvantula, Typhlosion, Scyther, Primeape, Rotom, Moltres, and Rotom-C will all outspeed Masquerain after a Quiver Dance and easily KO Masquerainhim with a super effective move. However, make sure to remember that you can't just haphazardly switch these Pokemon in, as they are almost all hit super effectively by one of Masquerain's STAB moves, or Hydro Pump, or be cautious when switching them in.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Despite his initial appearance as just another terrible Bug / Flying type, Masquerain is far different from them. With Water-type staple moves such as Scald and Hydro Pump, a good coverage move in Ice Beam, Intimidate to create switch-in opportunities, and access to Quiver Dance, Masquerain can be a decent Quiver Dance sweeper. While it may seem like Masquerain is outclassed by Butterfree, Masquerain has a key move that makes him incredibly unique and worth using: Baton Pass. In RU, the only other Pokemon capable of using the combination of Baton Pass and Quiver Dance is Smeargle, and Smeargle cannot use it to his own advantage in the way Masquerain can, nor is Smeargle as bulky as Masquerain. This lets Masquerain act as a powerful offensive sweeper who is also a fantastic team player thanks to his ability to Baton Pass his Quiver Dance boosts to another, more dangerous sweeper, allowing them to sweep in his stead. Despite his crippling weakness to Stealth Rock, awful typing, and mediocre stats, Masquerain is a very welcome addition to a team when he is given the correct support.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Quiver Dance to buff Masquerain's mediocre Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed to very respectable levels, Masquerain suddenly becomes a very capable sweeper, as he can abuse his unique coverage in addition to the stat boosts from Quiver Dance to rip through opposing teams. Thanks to Intimidate, Masquerain will have plenty of opportunities to switch in, and even though his typing is filled with crippling weaknesses, his 4x resistance to Grass- and Fighting-type attacks, alongside his immunity to Ground-type attacks allows him to switch into common threats such as Gallade, Roselia, and Tangrowth, though note that he must still be careful of super effective Hidden Powers from the latter two. However, this is not the main niche of Masquerain. What truly separates Masquerain from the other generic Quiver Dance sweepers is his access to Baton Pass. Thanks to this gem of a move, Masquerain suddenly transforms from a somewhat decent sweeper to a powerful team player who has the added benefit of posing an offensive threat.</p>

<p>Bug Buzz and Hydro Pump form Masquerain's offensive coverage, and thanks to their exemplary neutral coverage together, Masquerain can usually deal with most Pokemon quite easily. Bug Buzz is Masquerain's strongest STAB move, and Hydro Pump trashes Pokemon such as Aggron, Steelix, or Entei who might try to switch into Bug Buzz. Furthermore, in RU, the only common Pokemon who resist the combination are Poliwrath and Qwilfish. However, Air Slash is a very decent alternative to Bug Buzz, as only Lanturn resists the combination of Air Slash and Hydro Pump. Air Slash, at the cost of just a little power, has the added bonus of hitting troublesome Pokemon such as Hitmonchan for super effective damage. Unfortunately, Air Slash gives Masquerain issues with Pokemon who he should have no problem dealing with, such as the omnipresent Slowking, Uxie, and Rotom-C. In the last slot, Baton Pass is naturally recommended as it allows Masquerain to escape from troublesome situations while passing on the boosts he has accrued to a Pokemon who would easily be able to take on the incoming threat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With 252 Speed EVs and a Timid Nature, Masquerain outspeeds everything up to max Speed base 115 Speed Pokemon after a Quiver Dance. This is important, as it ensures that Masquerain can Baton Pass out of those threatening Pokemon before they can crush him with a super effective STAB attack. This amount of Speed investment also allows him to outspeed common opponents such as max Speed Omastar and Crawdaunt, standard Swords Dance Feraligatr (specify Feralgatr's Speed), and Hitmonchan before a Quiver Dance. Max Special Attack is necessary to allow Masquerain to hit as hard as possible to help him sweep. Alternatively, using a defensive spread designed just to Baton Pass Quiver Dance boosts is a plausibility, but Masquerain's slew of weaknesses and low Speed make it extremely easy for the opponent to just switch in something that can KO Masquerain with a super effective move.</p>

<p>There are also quite a few variations that can be made to this set. Roost is actually a fairly viable option thanks to Masquerain's surprisingly decent bulk, especially after a Quiver Dance, and it enables Masquerain to stick around to Baton Pass Quiver Dance boosts. Scald is another option that can be used instead of Hydro Pump. Despite its significantly weaker Base Power, it is far more reliable due to its perfect accuracy, and its chance to burn opponents can be extremely useful in allowing Masquerain to set up more Quiver Dances. Substitute is a good option to block status and Dragon Tail, and it can also be Baton Passed, though note that Masquerain will often lack the coverage necessary to sweep. Leftovers are the recommended item to give Masquerain a bit more longevity, but Life Orb will give Masquerain the most power, as it increases his chances of successfully sweeping. Additionally, if Life Orb is used, another coverage move can be used in the last slot, but Baton Pass is almost always the better option.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is horrendously crippling for Masquerain; thus, spinners are a necessity when using him. Kabutops, Sandslash, Cryogonal, and Hitmonchan are fantastic choices for this job due to the former two's ability to set up Stealth Rock while Rapid Spinning, and the latter two's reliability. Entry hazards are also useful, as Masquerain is fairly weak, and they can be set up by either suicide entry hazard users such as Accelgor and Aerodactyl, or more bulky ones such as Omastar, Roselia, Ferroseed, Qwilfish, or Crustle. They also fit in nicely with the more offensive teams that Masquerain should be used on. If entry hazards are used, a spinblocker is also appreciated, though it is not really a necessary addition. Cofagrigus is perhaps the best spinblocker that could be used alongside Masquerain, as Offensive Trick Room variants will appreciate the boosts to their Special Attack and Special Defense, while the Speed boosts aren't even that detrimental as Cofagrigus is so slow that it will still be slower than the majority of RU even after a few Quiver Dances, allowing it to still harness the powers of Trick Room.</p>

<p>Masquerain needs other special sweepers to back him up, as they can deal with some of the more troublesome Pokemon for Masquerain and the Quiver Dance boosts he will Baton Pass will greatly assist them. Sceptile, Rotom-C, Rotom, Moltres, Sigilyph, Slowking, and other such Pokemon are thus wonderful partners. However, because this means that you will often stack numerous special attackers onto a team, other physical attackers are actually good partners too, since they will break through troublesome special walls while still benefiting from Quiver Dance thanks to the slight Speed boost it provides. Aggron, Rhydon, Hariyama, Archeops, Entei, and similar physical attackers work wonderfully well because of this. Furthermore, the latter two may even run some special attacks, which benefit from Quiver Dance, to muscle through the physical walls that give them trouble, such as Steelix and Kabutops respectively. Masquerain will thus work particularly well on offensive or offensively oriented balanced teams due to his ability to assist his teammates while still providing the necessary offensive pressure.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Even though he may have a larger movepool than most other Bug-types, Masquerain is still incredibly limited due to his mediocre stats. Still, he does have a few cool choices at his disposal. Masquerain has a variety of other special moves, such as Ice Beam, Hidden Power Ground, Giga Drain, and Shadow Ball, which can be used depending on the targets you wish to hit, but most of the time, one of Masquerain's STAB moves alongside Hydro Pump or Scald will provide sufficient coverage. However, because of this awesome collection of special moves, Choice sets are fairly usable, though Masquerain does not excel at using them. A Choice Specs set would usually be too slow and reliant on prediction to do much damage, while a Choice Scarf set is still not fast enough to beat most common threats, and such a set would be rather weak. The final nail in the coffin for Choice sets on Masquerain is the fact that he is 4x weak to Stealth Rock, which means that Masquerain will be unable to switch in enough times to KO something with his coverage moves.</p>

<p>Masquerain has some neat support options in Stun Spore and Haze, which can be nasty surprises for certain sweepers, but with his slew of weaknesses and average defenses, Masquerain simply can't take on most of the threats in which those moves would be useful in dealing with. Still, he does have access to reliable recovery in Roost, and Intimidate can help cushion some of those lethal attacks, so it isn't necessarily a terrible option. Masquerain can also set up Rain Dance; his Water-type moves will benefit from the rain, and his resistance to Grass-type attacks and access to Roost are helpful, but other than that, Masquerain has nothing special to distinguish himself from other, more reliable users of the move such as Uxie.</p>

<p>Finally, Masquerain has another alternative boosting move in Agility. While Quiver Dance is usually a much better option due to its Special Attack boost, Agility is viable for a few reasons. First of all, even after a Quiver Dance, Masquerain is fairly slow, as he fails to outspeeds threats such as Sceptile, who can then proceed to decimate him with Hidden Power Rock. Agility, on the other hand, will easily outstrip those kinds of threats and Masquerain will be able to nail them with a decently powered Air Slash, Bug Buzz, or Hydro Pump. Furthermore, it is arguably much easier to find suitable partners who can take advantage of an Agility boost, as almost everything appreciates having their Speed doubled. However, the main issue with an Agility set is simply that Masquerain is too weak to be able to sweep, and by using Agility, Masquerain is forgoing his one main niche in Quiver Dance passing for something that many other Pokemon can do just as well.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As a Bug / Flying type, Masquerain's worst enemy is clearly Stealth Rock. Losing 50% of his HP, especially considering he isn't the bulkiest Pokemon around, is detrimental to his success, and by keeping it on the field, Masquerain will be severely crippled. Furthermore, as one of Masquerain's more troublesome traits is his ability to Baton Pass his boosts, keeping Stealth Rock up will limit the amount of times he can do so, making him and his team much easier to deal with.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, due to Baton Pass, Masquerain is actually fairly difficult to wall by conventional means, as any counter can simply be Baton Passed out of into a Pokemon who can easily dispose of that counter. Thus, phazers and Pokemon with Haze are probably your best bet in countering Masquerain, as by phazing him or simply removing the boosts, Masquerain cannot simply Baton Pass out. Munchlax and Mandibuzz are the premier choices for the job, as their amazing special bulk will allow them to take on whatever special attacker Masquerain Baton Passes into, and they can phaze Masquerain away with Whirlwind. Similarly, Cryogonal works well, as it also has wonderful special bulk while possessing Haze to remove all the boosts Masquerain has accrued. However, its slew of weaknesses will also mean that it will be easier for Masquerain's special attacking teammates to take it down. Other phazers such as Hariyama, Drapion, Steelix, and Slowking will also be decent temporary solutions, but the former two's comparatively worse bulk, and the fact that the latter two will be decimated by Hydro Pump or Bug Buzz respectively means that you shouldn't rely on them to deal with Masquerain for the entire match.</p>

<p>For more offensive teams, it's really just important to remember that Masquerain isn't overly fast after a Quiver Dance. As he only outspeeds Pokemon up to max Speed base 115 Speed Pokemon, naturally faster Pokemon such as Aerodactyl, Sceptile, and Accelgor will easily destroy Masquerain with a 4x super effective Stone Edge or Hidden Power Rock. Alternatively, faster Choice Scarf Pokemon work just as well, and Manectric, Galvantula, Typhlosion, Scyther, Primeape, Rotom, Moltres, and Rotom-C will all outspeed Masquerain after a Quiver Dance and easily KO him with a super effective move. However, make sure to remember that you can't just haphazardly switch these Pokemon in, as they are almost all hit super effectively by one of Masquerain's STAB moves or Hydro Pump.</p>

am check
done
[Overview]

<p>Despite his initial appearance as just another terrible Bug / Flying type, Masquerain is far different from them that. With Water-type staple moves such as Scald and Hydro Pump, Intimidate to create switch-in opportunities, and access to Quiver Dance, Masquerain can be a decent Quiver Dance sweeper. While it may seem like Masquerain is outclassed by Butterfree, Masquerain has a key move that makes him incredibly unique and worth using: Baton Pass. In RU, the only other Pokemon capable of using the combination of Baton Pass and Quiver Dance is Smeargle, and Smeargle cannot use it to his own advantage in the way Masquerain can, nor is Smeargle as bulky as Masquerain. This lets Masquerain act as a powerful offensive sweeper who is also a fantastic team player thanks to his ability to Baton Pass his Quiver Dance boosts to another, more dangerous sweeper, allowing them to sweep in his stead. Despite his crippling weakness to Stealth Rock, awful typing, and mediocre stats, Masquerain is a very welcome addition to a team when he is given the correct support.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Quiver Dance to buff Masquerain's mediocre Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed to very respectable levels, Masquerain suddenly becomes a very capable sweeper, as he can abuse use his unique coverage in addition to the stat boosts from Quiver Dance to rip through opposing teams. Thanks to Intimidate, Masquerain will have plenty of opportunities to switch in, and even though his typing is filled with crippling weaknesses, his 4x resistance to Grass- and Fighting-type attacks, alongside his immunity to Ground-type attacks,(add comma) allows him to switch into common threats such as Gallade, Roselia, and Tangrowth, though note that he must still be careful of super effective Hidden Powers from the latter two. However, this is not the main niche of Masquerain. What truly separates Masquerain from the other generic Quiver Dance sweepers is his access to Baton Pass. Thanks to this gem of a move, Masquerain suddenly transforms from a somewhat decent sweeper to a powerful team player who has the added benefit of posing an offensive threat.</p>

<p>Bug Buzz and Hydro Pump form Masquerain's offensive coverage, and thanks to their exemplary neutral coverage together, Masquerain can usually deal with most Pokemon quite easily. Bug Buzz is Masquerain's strongest STAB move, and Hydro Pump trashes Pokemon such as Aggron, Steelix, or Entei who might try to switch into Bug Buzz. Furthermore, in RU, the only common Pokemon who resist the combination are Poliwrath and Qwilfish. However, Air Slash is a very decent alternative to Bug Buzz, as only Lanturn resists the combination of Air Slash and Hydro Pump. Air Slash, at the cost of just a little power, has the added bonus of hitting troublesome Pokemon such as Hitmonchan for super effective damage. Unfortunately, Air Slash gives Masquerain issues with Pokemon who he should have no problem dealing with, such as the omnipresent Slowking, Uxie, and Rotom-C. In the last slot, Baton Pass is naturally recommended as it allows Masquerain to escape from troublesome situations while passing on the boosts he has accrued to a Pokemon who would easily be able to take on the incoming threat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With 252 Speed EVs and a Timid Nature, Masquerain outspeeds everything up to max Speed base 115 Speed Pokemon after a Quiver Dance. This is important, as it ensures that Masquerain can Baton Pass out of those threatening Pokemon before they can crush him with a super effective STAB attack. This amount of Speed investment also allows him to outspeed common opponents such as max Speed Omastar and Crawdaunt, 230 Speed Swords Dance Feraligatr, and Hitmonchan before a Quiver Dance. Max Special Attack is necessary to allow Masquerain to hit as hard as possible to help him sweep. Alternatively, using a defensive spread designed just to Baton Pass Quiver Dance boosts is a plausibility, but Masquerain's slew of weaknesses and low Speed make it extremely easy for the opponent to just switch in something that can KO Masquerain with a super effective move.</p>

<p>There are also quite a few variations that can be made to this set. Roost is actually a fairly viable option thanks to Masquerain's surprisingly decent bulk, especially after a Quiver Dance, and it enables Masquerain to stick around to Baton Pass Quiver Dance boosts. Scald is another option that can be used instead of Hydro Pump. Despite its significantly weaker Base Power, it is far more reliable due to its perfect accuracy, and its chance to burn opponents can be extremely useful in allowing Masquerain to set up more Quiver Dances. Substitute is a good option to block status and Dragon Tail, and it can also be Baton Passed, though note that Masquerain will often lack the coverage necessary to sweep. Leftovers are the recommended item to give Masquerain a bit more longevity, but Life Orb will give Masquerain the most power, as it increases his chances of successfully sweeping. Additionally, if Life Orb is used, another coverage move can be used in the last slot, but Baton Pass is almost always the better option.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is horrendously crippling for Masquerain; thus, spinners are a necessity when using him. Kabutops, Sandslash, Cryogonal, and Hitmonchan are fantastic choices for this job due to the former two's ability to set up Stealth Rock while Rapid Spinning, and the latter two's reliability. Entry hazards are also useful,as Masquerain is fairly weak, and they can be set up by either suicide entry hazard users such as Accelgor and Aerodactyl, or more bulky ones such as Omastar, Roselia, Ferroseed, Qwilfish, or Crustle. They also fit in nicely with the more offensive teams that Masquerain should be used on. If entry hazards are used, a spinblocker is also appreciated, though it is not really a necessary addition. Cofagrigus is perhaps the best spinblocker that could be used alongside Masquerain, as Offensive Trick Room variants will appreciate the boosts to their Special Attack and Special Defense, while the Speed boosts aren't even that detrimental as Cofagrigus is so slow that it will still be slower than the majority of RU even after a few Quiver Dances, allowing it to still harness the powers of Trick Room.</p>

<p>Masquerain needs other special sweepers to back him up, as they can deal with some of the more troublesome Pokemon for Masquerain and the Quiver Dance boosts he will Baton Pass will greatly assist them. Sceptile, Rotom-C, Rotom, Moltres, Sigilyph, Slowking, and other such Pokemon are thus wonderful partners. However, because this means that you will often stack numerous special attackers onto a team, other physical attackers are actually good partners too, since they will break through troublesome special walls while still benefiting from Quiver Dance thanks to the slight Speed boost it provides. Aggron, Rhydon, Hariyama, Archeops, Entei, and similar physical attackers work wonderfully well because of this. Furthermore, the latter two may even run some special attacks, which benefit from Quiver Dance, to muscle through the physical walls that give them trouble, such as Steelix and Kabutops respectively. Masquerain will thus work particularly well on offensive or offensively oriented balanced teams due to his ability to assist his teammates while still providing the necessary offensive pressure.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Even though he may have a larger movepool than most other Bug-types, Masquerain is still incredibly limited due to his mediocre stats. Still, he does have a few cool choices at his disposal. Masquerain has a variety of other special moves, such as Ice Beam, Hidden Power Ground, Giga Drain, and Shadow Ball, which can be used depending on the targets you wish to hit, but most of the time, one of Masquerain's STAB moves alongside Hydro Pump or Scald will provide sufficient coverage. However, because of this awesome collection of special moves, Choice sets are fairly usable, though Masquerain does not excel at using them. A Choice Specs set would usually be too slow and reliant on prediction to do much damage, while a Choice Scarf set is still not fast enough to beat most common threats, and such a set would be rather weak. The final nail in the coffin for Choice sets on Masquerain is the fact that he is 4x weak to Stealth Rock, which means that Masquerain will be unable to switch in enough times to KO something with his coverage moves.</p>

<p>Masquerain has some neat support options in Stun Spore and Haze, which can be nasty surprises for certain sweepers, but with his slew of weaknesses and average defenses, Masquerain simply can't take on most of the threats in which those moves would be useful in dealing with. Still, he does have access to reliable recovery in Roost, and Intimidate can help cushion some of those lethal attacks, so it isn't necessarily a terrible option. Masquerain can also set up Rain Dance; his Water-type moves will benefit from the rain, and his resistance to Grass-type attacks and access to Roost are helpful, but other than that, Masquerain has nothing special to distinguish himself from other, more reliable users of the move such as Uxie.</p>

<p>Finally, Masquerain has another alternative boosting move in Agility. While Quiver Dance is usually a much better option due to its Special Attack boost, Agility is viable for a few reasons. First of all, even after a Quiver Dance, Masquerain is fairly slow, as he fails to outspeeds threats such as Sceptile, who can then proceed to decimate him with Hidden Power Rock. Agility, on the other hand, will easily outstrip those kinds of threats and Masquerain will be able to nail them with a decently powered Air Slash, Bug Buzz, or Hydro Pump. Furthermore, it is arguably much easier to find suitable partners who can take advantage of an Agility boost, as almost everything appreciates having their Speed doubled. However, the main issue with an Agility set is simply that Masquerain is too weak to be able to sweep, and by using Agility, Masquerain is forgoing his one main niche in Quiver Dance passing for something that many other Pokemon can do just as well.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As a Bug / Flying type, Masquerain's worst enemy is clearly Stealth Rock. Losing 50% of his HP, especially considering he isn't the bulkiest Pokemon around, is detrimental to his success, and by keeping it on the field, Masquerain will be severely crippled. Furthermore, as one of Masquerain's more troublesome traits is his ability to Baton Pass his boosts, keeping Stealth Rock up will limit the amount of times he can do so, making him and his team much easier to deal with.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, due to Baton Pass, Masquerain is actually fairly difficult to wall by conventional means, as any counter can simply be Baton Passed out of into a Pokemon who can easily dispose of that counter. Thus, phazers and Pokemon with Haze are probably your best bet in countering Masquerain, as by phazing him or simply removing the boosts, Masquerain cannot simply Baton Pass out. Munchlax and Mandibuzz are the premier choices for the job, as their amazing special bulk will allow them to take on whatever special attacker Masquerain Baton Passes into, and they can phaze Masquerain away with Whirlwind. Similarly, Cryogonal works well, as it also has wonderful special bulk while possessing Haze to remove all the boosts Masquerain has accrued. However, its slew of weaknesses will also mean that it will be easier for Masquerain's special attacking teammates to take it down. Other phazers such as Hariyama, Drapion, Steelix, and Slowking will also be decent temporary solutions, but the former two's comparatively worse bulk, and the fact that the latter two will be decimated by Hydro Pump or Bug Buzz respectively means that you shouldn't rely on them to deal with Masquerain for the entire match.</p>

<p>For more offensive teams, it's really just important to remember that Masquerain isn't overly fast after a Quiver Dance. As he only outspeeds Pokemon up to max Speed base 115 Speed Pokemon, naturally faster Pokemon such as Aerodactyl, Sceptile, and Accelgor will easily destroy Masquerain with a 4x super effective Stone Edge or Hidden Power Rock. Alternatively, faster Choice Scarf Pokemon work just as well, and Manectric, Galvantula, Typhlosion, Scyther, Primeape, Rotom, Moltres, and Rotom-C will all outspeed Masquerain after a Quiver Dance and easily KO him with a super effective move. However, make sure to remember that you can't just haphazardly switch these Pokemon in, as they are almost all hit super effectively by one of Masquerain's STAB moves or Hydro Pump.</p>

placeholder

[Overview]

<p>Despite his initial appearance as just another terrible Bug / Flying type, Masquerain is far different from that. With staple Water-type staple moves such as Scald and Hydro Pump, Intimidate to create switch-in opportunities, and access to Quiver Dance, Masquerain can be a decent Quiver Dance sweeper. While it may might seem like Masquerain is outclassed by Butterfree, Masquerain he has a key move that makes him incredibly unique and worth using: Baton Pass. In RU, the only other Pokemon capable of using the combination of Baton Pass and Quiver Dance is Smeargle, and Smeargle cannot use it Quiver Dance to his own advantage in the way Masquerain can, nor is Smeargle he as bulky as Masquerain. This lets Masquerain act as a powerful offensive sweeper who is also a fantastic team player thanks to his ability to Baton Pass his Quiver Dance boosts to another more dangerous sweeper, allowing them it to sweep in his stead. Despite his crippling weakness to Stealth Rock, awful typing, and mediocre stats, Masquerain is a very welcome addition to a team when he is given the correct support.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Quiver Dance to buff Masquerain's his mediocre Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed to very respectable levels, Masquerain suddenly becomes a very capable sweeper, as he can use his unique coverage in addition to the stat boosts from Quiver Dance to rip through opposing teams. Thanks to Intimidate, Masquerain will have plenty of opportunities to switch in, and even though his typing is filled with crippling weaknesses, his 4x resistances to Grass- and Fighting-type attacks, alongside his immunity to Ground-type attacks, allows him to switch into common threats such as Gallade, Roselia, and Tangrowth, though note that he must still be careful of super effective Hidden Powers from the latter two. However, this is not the main niche of Masquerain. Masquerain's main niche; what truly separates Masquerain him from the other generic Quiver Dance sweepers is his access to Baton Pass. Thanks to this gem of a move, Masquerain suddenly transforms from a somewhat decent sweeper (You went from "very capable" in the first sentence to "somewhat decent" here and it was just like what lol) to a powerful team player who has with the added benefit of posing an offensive threat.</p>

<p>Bug Buzz and Hydro Pump form Masquerain's offensive coverage, and thanks to their exemplary neutral coverage together, Masquerain can usually deal with most Pokemon quite easily. Bug Buzz is Masquerain's strongest STAB move, and Hydro Pump trashes Pokemon such as Aggron, Steelix, or Entei who might try to switch into Bug Buzz. Furthermore, in RU, the only common Pokemon who resist the combination are Poliwrath and Qwilfish. However, Air Slash is a very decent alternative to Bug Buzz, as only Lanturn resists the combination of Air Slash and Hydro Pump. Air Slash, at the cost of just a little power, has the added bonus of hitting troublesome Pokemon such as Hitmonchan for super effective damage. Unfortunately, Air Slash gives Masquerain issues with Pokemon who he should have no problem dealing with, such as the omnipresent Slowking, Uxie, and Rotom-C. In the last slot, Baton Pass is naturally recommended,(comma) as it allows Masquerain to escape from troublesome situations while passing on the boosts he has accrued to a Pokemon who would easily be able to take on the incoming threat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With 252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature, Masquerain outspeeds everything up to max Speed base 115 Speed Pokemon after a Quiver Dance. This is important, as it ensures that Masquerain can Baton Pass out of those threatening Pokemon before they can crush him with a super effective STAB attack. This amount of The Speed investment also allows him to outspeed common opponents such as maximum Speed Omastar and Crawdaunt, 230 Speed Swords Dance Feraligatr, and Hitmonchan before a Quiver Dance. Maximum Special Attack is necessary to allow Masquerain to hit as hard as possible to help him sweep. Alternatively, using a defensive spread designed just to Baton Pass Quiver Dance boosts is a plausibility, but Masquerain's slew of weaknesses and low Speed make it extremely easy for the opponent to just switch in something that a Pokemon who can KO Masquerain with a super effective move.</p>

<p>There are also quite a few variations that can be made to this set. Roost is actually a fairly viable option thanks to Masquerain's surprisingly decent bulk, especially after a Quiver Dance, and it enables Masquerain to stick around to Baton Pass Quiver Dance boosts. Scald is another option that can be used Masquerain can use instead of Hydro Pump. Despite its significantly weaker Base Power, it is far more reliable due to its perfect accuracy, and its chance to burn opponents can be extremely useful in allowing Masquerain to set up more Quiver Dances. Substitute is a good option to block status and Dragon Tail, and it can also be Baton Passed, though note that Masquerain will often lack the coverage necessary to sweep. Leftovers are is the recommended item to give Masquerain a bit more longevity, but a Life Orb will give gives Masquerain the most power, as it increases more power to increase his chances of successfully sweeping. Additionally, if a Life Orb is used, another coverage move can be used in the last slot, but Baton Pass is almost always the better option.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is horrendously crippling for Masquerain; thus, spinners are a necessity when using him. Kabutops, Sandslash, Cryogonal, and Hitmonchan are fantastic choices for this job,(comma) due to the former two's ability to set up Stealth Rock while Rapid Spinning, and the latter two's reliability. as the former two can also set up Stealth Rock and the latter two can Rapid Spin reliably. Entry hazards are also useful as Masquerain is fairly weak to aid in Masquerain's sweep, (same deal, you've been playing masquerain up as a "very capable sweeper," so it doesn't really make sense to call him weak here) and they can be set up by either suicide entry hazard users such as Accelgor and Aerodactyl,(remove comma) or more bulky ones such as Omastar, Roselia, Ferroseed, Qwilfish, or and Crustle. They also fit in nicely with the more offensive teams that Masquerain should be used on. If entry hazards are used, a spinblocker is also appreciated, though it is not really a necessary addition. Cofagrigus is perhaps the best spinblocker that could be used to use alongside Masquerain, as offensive Trick Room variants will appreciate the boosts to their Special Attack and Special Defense, while the Speed boosts aren't even that detrimental;(semicolon) as Cofagrigus is so slow that it will still be slower than the majority of RU even after a few Quiver Dances, allowing it to still harness so it can still take advantage of the powers of Trick Room.</p>

<p>Masquerain needs other special sweepers to back him up, as they can deal with some of the more troublesome Pokemon for Masquerain him, and the Quiver Dance boosts he will can Baton Pass will greatly assist them. Sceptile, Rotom-C, Rotom, Moltres, Sigilyph, Slowking, and other such Pokemon are thus wonderful partners. However, because this means that you will often stack numerous special attackers onto a team, other physical attackers are actually good partners too, since they will as they can break through troublesome special walls while still benefiting from Quiver Dance thanks to the slight Speed boost it provides. Aggron, Rhydon, Hariyama, Archeops, Entei, and similar physical attackers work wonderfully well because of this. Furthermore, the latter two may can even run some special attacks, which benefit from Quiver Dance, mixed sets to muscle through the physical walls that give them trouble, such as Steelix and Kabutops,(comma) respectively. Masquerain will thus work particularly well on offensive or offensively oriented balanced teams due to his ability to assist his teammates while still providing the necessary offensive pressure.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Even though he may have has a larger movepool than most other Bug-types, Masquerain is still incredibly limited due to his mediocre stats. Still, he does have a few cool choices at his disposal. Masquerain has a variety of other special moves he can use to hit specific threats, such as including Ice Beam, Hidden Power Ground, Giga Drain, and Shadow Ball, which can be used depending on the targets you wish to hit, but most of the time, one of Masquerain's STAB moves alongside Hydro Pump or Scald will provide sufficient coverage. However, because of this awesome excellent collection of special moves, Choice sets are fairly usable viable options, though Masquerain does not excel at using them. A Choice Specs set would usually be is typically too slow and reliant on prediction to do much damage, while a Choice Scarf set is still not fast enough to beat most common threats, and such a set would be and is rather weak. The final nail in the coffin for Choice sets on Masquerain is the fact that he is 4x weak to Stealth Rock, which means that Masquerain he will be unable to switch in enough times to KO something frequently enough to KO opponents with his coverage moves.</p>

<p>Masquerain has some neat support options in Stun Spore and Haze, which can be nasty surprises for certain sweepers, but with his slew of weaknesses and average defenses, Masquerain simply can't take on most of the threats in which those moves would be useful in dealing with. these threats. Still, he does have access to reliable recovery in Roost, and Intimidate can help cushion some of those lethal attacks, so it isn't necessarily a terrible option. Masquerain can also set up Rain Dance; his Water-type moves will benefit from the rain, and his resistance to Grass-type attacks and access to Roost are helpful, but other than that, Masquerain has nothing special to distinguish himself from other, more reliable users of the move such as Uxie.</p>

<p>Finally, Masquerain has another alternative boosting move in Agility. While Quiver Dance is usually a much better option due to its Special Attack boost, Agility is viable for a few reasons. First of all, even after a Quiver Dance, Masquerain is fairly slow, as and he fails to outspeeds threats such as Sceptile, who can then proceed to decimate him with Hidden Power Rock. Agility,(comma) on the other hand, will easily outstrip those kinds of threats and Masquerain will be able to allow Masquerain to outrun these Pokemon and nail them with a decently powered Air Slash, Bug Buzz, or Hydro Pump. Furthermore, it is arguably much easier to find suitable partners who can take advantage of an Agility boost, as almost everything appreciates having their Speed doubled a +2 boost to Speed. However, the main issue with an Agility set is simply that Masquerain is simply too weak to be able to sweep, and by using Agility, Masquerain is forgoing his one main niche in Quiver Dance passing—passing Quiver Dance boosts—for something that many other Pokemon can do just as well.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As a Bug / Flying type, Masquerain's worst enemy is clearly Stealth Rock. Losing 50% of his HP, especially considering he isn't the bulkiest Pokemon around, is detrimental to his success, and by keeping it on the field, Masquerain will be severely crippled. Furthermore, as one of Masquerain's more troublesome traits is his ability to Baton Pass his boosts, keeping Stealth Rock up will limit limits the amount of times he can do so number of times Masquerain can Baton Pass his boosts, making him and his team much easier to deal with.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, due to Baton Pass, Masquerain is actually fairly difficult to wall by conventional means, as any counter can simply be Baton Passed out of he can simply Baton Pass out of any counter into a Pokemon who can easily dispose of that counter. Thus, phazers and Pokemon with Haze are probably your best bet in countering Masquerain, as by phazing him or simply removing the boosts, Masquerain cannot simply Baton Pass out. Munchlax and Mandibuzz are the premier choices for the job, as their amazing special bulk will allow them to take on whatever special attacker Masquerain Baton Passes into to, and they can phaze Masquerain away with Whirlwind. Similarly, Cryogonal works well, as it also has wonderful special bulk while possessing Haze to remove all the boosts Masquerain has accrued. However, its slew of weaknesses will also mean that it will be easier for Masquerain's special attacking teammates to take it down. Other phazers such as Hariyama, Drapion, Steelix, and Slowking will also be are also decent temporary solutions, but the former two's comparatively worse bulk,(remove comma) and the fact that the latter two will be decimated by Hydro Pump or Bug Buzz,(comma) respectively,(comma) means that you shouldn't rely on them to deal with Masquerain for the entire match.</p>

<p>For more offensive teams, it's really just important to remember that Masquerain isn't overly fast after a Quiver Dance. As he only outspeeds Pokemon up to maximum Speed base 115s Speed Pokemon, naturally faster Pokemon such as Aerodactyl, Sceptile, and Accelgor will easily destroy Masquerain him with a 4x super effective Stone Edge or Hidden Power Rock. Alternatively, faster Choice Scarf Pokemon work just as well, and Manectric, Galvantula, Typhlosion, Scyther, Primeape, Rotom, Moltres, and Rotom-C will all outspeed Masquerain after a Quiver Dance and easily KO him with a super effective move. However, make sure to remember that you can't just haphazardly switch these Pokemon in, as they are almost all hit super effectively by one of Masquerain's STAB moves or Hydro Pump.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Despite his initial appearance as just another terrible Bug / Flying type, Masquerain is far different from that. With staple Water-type moves such as Scald and Hydro Pump, Intimidate to create switch-in opportunities, and access to Quiver Dance, Masquerain can be a decent Quiver Dance sweeper. While it might seem like Masquerain is outclassed by Butterfree, he has a key move that makes him incredibly unique and worth using: Baton Pass. In RU, the only other Pokemon capable of using the combination of Baton Pass and Quiver Dance is Smeargle, and Smeargle cannot use Quiver Dance to his own advantage in the way Masquerain can, nor is he as bulky as Masquerain. This lets Masquerain act as a powerful offensive sweeper who is also a fantastic team player thanks to his ability to Baton Pass his Quiver Dance boosts to another more dangerous sweeper, allowing it to sweep in his stead. Despite his crippling weakness to Stealth Rock, awful typing, and mediocre stats, Masquerain is a very welcome addition to a team when he is given the correct support.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Quiver Dance to buff his mediocre Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed to very respectable levels, Masquerain becomes a very capable sweeper, as he can use his unique coverage in addition to the stat boosts from Quiver Dance to rip through opposing teams. Thanks to Intimidate, Masquerain will have plenty of opportunities to switch in, and even though his typing is filled with crippling weaknesses, his 4x resistances to Grass- and Fighting-type attacks, alongside his immunity to Ground-type attacks, allows him to switch into common threats such as Gallade, Roselia, and Tangrowth, though note that he must still be careful of super effective Hidden Powers from the latter two. However, this is not Masquerain's main niche; what truly separates him from the other generic Quiver Dance sweepers is his access to Baton Pass. Thanks to this gem of a move, Masquerain suddenly transforms from a decent sweeper to a powerful team player with the added benefit of posing an offensive threat.</p>

<p>Bug Buzz and Hydro Pump form Masquerain's offensive coverage, and thanks to their exemplary neutral coverage together, Masquerain can usually deal with most Pokemon quite easily. Bug Buzz is Masquerain's strongest STAB move, and Hydro Pump trashes Pokemon such as Aggron, Steelix, or Entei who might try to switch into Bug Buzz. Furthermore, in RU, the only common Pokemon who resist the combination are Poliwrath and Qwilfish. However, Air Slash is a very decent alternative to Bug Buzz, as only Lanturn resists the combination of Air Slash and Hydro Pump. Air Slash, at the cost of a little power, has the added bonus of hitting troublesome Pokemon such as Hitmonchan for super effective damage. Unfortunately, Air Slash gives Masquerain issues with Pokemon he should have no problem dealing with, such as the omnipresent Slowking, Uxie, and Rotom-C. In the last slot, Baton Pass is naturally recommended, as it allows Masquerain to escape from troublesome situations while passing on the boosts he has accrued to a Pokemon who would easily be able to take on the incoming threat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With 252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature, Masquerain outspeeds everything up to max Speed base 115 Speed Pokemon after a Quiver Dance. This is important, as it ensures that Masquerain can Baton Pass out of those threatening Pokemon before they can crush him with a super effective STAB attack. The Speed investment also allows him to outspeed common opponents such as maximum Speed Omastar and Crawdaunt, 230 Speed Swords Dance Feraligatr, and Hitmonchan before a Quiver Dance. Maximum Special Attack is necessary to allow Masquerain to hit as hard as possible. Alternatively, a defensive spread designed just to Baton Pass Quiver Dance boosts is a plausibility, but Masquerain's slew of weaknesses and low Speed make it extremely easy for the opponent to just switch in a Pokemon who can KO Masquerain with a super effective move.</p>

<p>There are also quite a few variations that can be made to this set. Roost is a fairly viable option thanks to Masquerain's surprisingly decent bulk, especially after a Quiver Dance, and it enables Masquerain to stick around to Baton Pass Quiver Dance boosts. Scald is another option that Masquerain can use instead of Hydro Pump. Despite its significantly weaker Base Power, it is far more reliable due to its perfect accuracy, and its chance to burn opponents can be extremely useful in allowing Masquerain to set up more Quiver Dances. Substitute is a good option to block status and Dragon Tail, and it can also be Baton Passed, though note that Masquerain will often lack the coverage necessary to sweep. Leftovers is the recommended item to give Masquerain a bit more longevity, but a Life Orb gives Masquerain more power to increase his chances of successfully sweeping. Additionally, if a Life Orb is used, another coverage move can be used in the last slot, but Baton Pass is almost always the better option.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is horrendously crippling for Masquerain; thus, spinners are a necessity when using him. Kabutops, Sandslash, Cryogonal, and Hitmonchan are fantastic choices for this job, as the former two can also set up Stealth Rock and the latter two can Rapid Spin reliably. Entry hazards are also useful to aid in Masquerain's sweep, and they can be set up by either suicide entry hazard users such as Accelgor and Aerodactyl or more bulky ones such as Omastar, Roselia, Ferroseed, Qwilfish, and Crustle. They also fit in nicely with the more offensive teams that Masquerain should be used on. If entry hazards are used, a spinblocker is also appreciated, though it is not really a necessary addition. Cofagrigus is perhaps the best spinblocker to use alongside Masquerain, as offensive Trick Room variants will appreciate the boosts to their Special Attack and Special Defense, while the Speed boosts aren't even that detrimental; Cofagrigus is so slow that it will still be slower than the majority of RU even after a few Quiver Dances, so it can still take advantage of the powers of Trick Room.</p>

<p>Masquerain needs other special sweepers to back him up, as they can deal with some of the more troublesome Pokemon for him, and the Quiver Dance boosts he can Baton Pass greatly assist them. Sceptile, Rotom-C, Rotom, Moltres, Sigilyph, Slowking, and other such Pokemon are thus wonderful partners. However, because this means that you will often stack numerous special attackers onto a team, other physical attackers are actually good partners too, as they can break through troublesome special walls while still benefiting from Quiver Dance thanks to the Speed boost it provides. Aggron, Rhydon, Hariyama, Archeops, Entei, and similar physical attackers work wonderfully well because of this. Furthermore, the latter two can even run mixed sets to muscle through the physical walls that give them trouble, such as Steelix and Kabutops, respectively. Masquerain will thus work particularly well on offensive or offensively oriented balanced teams due to his ability to assist his teammates while still providing the necessary offensive pressure.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Even though he has a larger movepool than most other Bug-types, Masquerain is still incredibly limited due to his mediocre stats. Still, he does have a few cool choices at his disposal. Masquerain has a variety of other special moves he can use to hit specific threats, including Ice Beam, Hidden Power Ground, Giga Drain, and Shadow Ball, but most of the time, one of Masquerain's STAB moves alongside Hydro Pump or Scald will provide sufficient coverage. However, because of this excellent collection of special moves, Choice sets are viable options, though Masquerain does not excel at using them. A Choice Specs set is typically too slow and reliant on prediction to do much damage, while a Choice Scarf set is still not fast enough to beat most common threats and is rather weak. The final nail in the coffin for Choice sets on Masquerain is the fact that he is 4x weak to Stealth Rock, which means that he will be unable to switch in frequently enough to KO opponents with his coverage moves.</p>

<p>Masquerain has some neat support options in Stun Spore and Haze, which can be nasty surprises for certain sweepers, but with his slew of weaknesses and average defenses, Masquerain simply can't take on most of these threats. Still, he does have access to reliable recovery in Roost, and Intimidate can help cushion some of those lethal attacks, so it isn't necessarily a terrible option. Masquerain can also set up Rain Dance; his Water-type moves will benefit from the rain, and his resistance to Grass-type attacks and access to Roost are helpful, but other than that, Masquerain has nothing special to distinguish himself from other, more reliable users of the move such as Uxie.</p>

<p>Finally, Masquerain has another boosting move in Agility. While Quiver Dance is usually a much better option due to its Special Attack boost, Agility is viable for a few reasons. First of all, even after a Quiver Dance, Masquerain is fairly slow, and he fails to outspeed threats such as Sceptile, who can then proceed to decimate him with Hidden Power Rock. Agility, on the other hand, will allow Masquerain to outrun these Pokemon and nail them with a decently powered Air Slash, Bug Buzz, or Hydro Pump. Furthermore, it is arguably much easier to find suitable partners who can take advantage of an Agility boost, as almost everything appreciates a +2 boost to Speed. However, the main issue with an Agility set is that Masquerain is simply too weak to be able to sweep, and by using Agility, Masquerain is forgoing his one main niche—passing Quiver Dance boosts—for something that many other Pokemon can do just as well.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As a Bug / Flying type, Masquerain's worst enemy is Stealth Rock. Losing 50% of his HP, especially considering he isn't the bulkiest Pokemon around, is detrimental to his success, and by keeping it on the field, Masquerain will be severely crippled. Furthermore, keeping Stealth Rock up limits the number of times Masquerain can Baton Pass his boosts, making him and his team much easier to deal with.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, due to Baton Pass, Masquerain is actually fairly difficult to wall by conventional means, as he can simply Baton Pass out of any counter into a Pokemon who can easily dispose of that counter. Thus, phazers and Pokemon with Haze are probably your best bet in countering Masquerain, as by phazing him or simply removing the boosts, Masquerain cannot simply Baton Pass out. Munchlax and Mandibuzz are the premier choices for the job, as their amazing special bulk will allow them to take on whatever special attacker Masquerain Baton Passes to, and they can phaze Masquerain away with Whirlwind. Similarly, Cryogonal works well, as it also has wonderful special bulk while possessing Haze to remove all the boosts Masquerain has accrued. However, its slew of weaknesses will also mean that it will be easier for Masquerain's teammates to take it down. Other phazers such as Hariyama, Drapion, Steelix, and Slowking are also decent temporary solutions, but the former two's comparatively worse bulk and the fact that the latter two will be decimated by Hydro Pump or Bug Buzz, respectively, mean that you shouldn't rely on them to deal with Masquerain for the entire match.</p>

<p>For more offensive teams, it's important to remember that Masquerain isn't overly fast after a Quiver Dance. As he only outspeeds Pokemon up to maximum Speed base 115s, naturally faster Pokemon such as Aerodactyl, Sceptile, and Accelgor will easily destroy him with a 4x super effective Stone Edge or Hidden Power Rock. Alternatively, faster Choice Scarf Pokemon work just as well, and Manectric, Galvantula, Typhlosion, Scyther, Primeape, Rotom, Moltres, and Rotom-C will all outspeed Masquerain after a Quiver Dance and easily KO him with a super effective move. However, make sure to remember that you can't just haphazardly switch these Pokemon in, as they are almost all hit super effectively by one of Masquerain's STAB moves or Hydro Pump.</p>

GP APPROVED 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)