move 2: Bulk Up
move 3: Brick Break
move 4: Taunt / Substitute
item: Flying Gem
ability: Prankster
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>A commonly used move in the VGC metagame, Acrobatics, is extremely useful in OU as well. Tornadus is the perfect user of this wonderful move, boasting a base 115 Attack stat, Bulk Up, and a blistering base 111 Speed. Flight Gem is goes hand-in-hand with Acrobatics, giving Tornadus a 165 Base Power STAB move upon the first use. After Flying Gem is used, the power of Acrobatics is still doubled, making it a 110 Base Power move. Tornadus can still use it to decimate common special walls, such as Blissey, that think they have no reason to fear a Pokemon they presume is a special Tornadus.</p>

<p>This Tornadus is especially useful since it requires no weather to be in play, meaning it can wreak havoc even in sandstorm. This set works best on rain teams, however, since it adds to the illusion that this Tornadus is a special variant; this allows Tornadus to easily lure in and destroy one of the great enemies of rain teams, Tyranitar, with a Brick Break. Not only does Brick Break destroy Tyranitar, but also hits the Steel-types that resist Acrobatics super effectively.</p>

<p>Prankster Bulk Up lets Tornadus boost its Attack even higher, and it also nabs a Defense boost. The last slot can be used for either Taunt or Substitute. Taunt lets Tornadus stop phazers, such as Skarmory, from forcing a switch, it prevents the opposition from setting up on Tornadus, and it also stops enemies using status-inducing moves on Tornadus. Substitute lets Tornadus scout the opposition, and helps it avoid status-inducing moves. This Tornadus can easily set up on walls, such as Blissey, making it to be even more deadly.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>252 Attack and Speed EVs are used in order to turn Tornadus into a much more threatening sweeper. However, as deadly as this set is, Jirachi and Magnezone can be problematic. Skarmory is also a major nuisance, especially if you are using Substitute over Taunt. Therefore, Magnezone is a great partner for this set, being able to eliminate Steel-types in the blink of an eye. Because of this synergy with Magnezone, U-turn is a good option in the last slot, as it allows Tornadus to scout the Steel-type switch-in and switch in Magnezone for the easy KO.</p>

<p>Rain Dance is also an option for the last slot in a rain team, as it lets Tornadus replenish the weather condition before going down. Hidden Power Ice with a Naive nature can also be used in the last slot in order to more effectively rid the field of Pokemon such as Salamence and Gliscor, but it makes Tornadus helpless against status-inducing moves. Tailwind is another option, allowing you to double your team's Speed for 4 turns. However, once again, it leaves Tornadus helpless against status.</p>

<p>Hammer Arm is an option over Brick Break, but its higher Base Power is compromised by the Speed drop that comes with it. In addition, Pokemon with ExtremeSpeed, such as Dragonite and Lucario, are also major threats, as ExtremeSpeed's +2 priority bypasses the priority of Prankster used for Bulk Up and Substitute. Lastly, powerful physical attackers can easily dominate this set, even with the help of Bulk Up, so be forewarned; powerful special attackers can also easily put the nail in Tornadus's coffin.</p>

I completely agree with you; this set is defo viable and it IS a great lure to its common checks and counters. Good Job brah!

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
i think using fly > acrobatics and lefties > flight gem in a wannabe gyarados set could be worth a mention? maybe?? too gimmicky????

i think using fly > acrobatics and lefties > flight gem in a wannabe gyarados set could be worth a mention? maybe?? too gimmicky????
The main selling point to this set is Acrobatics though. Also, Tornadus simply doesnt have the bulk that Gyarados does. After you use Fly, the enemy can just bring in something like a Heatran to take the hit easily, and then just switch into something to take the Brick Break / Hammer Arm. If they predict the Fly, Tornadus will basically get one-shotted by any powerful special attack; Gyarados can actually take special hits so it's viable on him, but not on Tornadus I'm afraid.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bounce works on Gyarados because it can hit almost all of its common resists hard with a STAB (occasionally in Drizzle) Waterfall. Brick Break from Tornadus is pretty weak and isn't a sweeping option so much as a method of getting rid of Tyranitar. And Acrobatics is much more powerful than Fly anyways.

I would put U-turn in the AC. I'd much rather have the utility of Taunt or Substitute.
Yeah, you have a point. I figure that it would go against the point of Bulk Up anyway; the Stealth Rock weakness also hurts I suppose. Moved to AC.

why is there a bisharp picture instead of a tornadus one ?_?

anyways, this set is pretty solid and i think it's good enough to deserve an analysis

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Be sure to describe which opponents Tornadus can set up on, because, in the long run, it really can't weather strong physical attacks even with Bulk Up. Also describe which situations Substitute / Taunt is usable in, seeing as one provides Tornadus with temporary protection, while the other ensures physically-oriented phazers can't just use Roar/Whirlwind (this sets up perfectly in front of Hippowdon).

Finally, because a certain sprite domain decided to troll us all, use this:

Be sure to describe which opponents Tornadus can set up on, because, in the long run, it really can't weather strong physical attacks even with Bulk Up. Also describe which situations Substitute / Taunt is usable in, seeing as one provides Tornadus with temporary protection, while the other ensures physically-oriented phazers can't just use Roar/Whirlwind (this sets up perfectly in front of Hippowdon).

Finally, because a certain sprite domain decided to troll us all, use this:
k updated.

I feel like Taunt should be the main option so that your not phased out by various things. Although the benefit of getting up a sub is much better than simply taunting something, I still feel that taunt is more efficient in the long run.

I feel like Taunt should be the main option so that your not phased out by various things. Although the benefit of getting up a sub is much better than simply taunting something, I still feel that taunt is more efficient in the long run.
Yeah, I'm still debating about the order. I've personally found Substitute to be more useful, but I can clearly see why Taunt would be very good as well. Anyone have any opinions on this?

Just sub/taunt/tailwind, those 3 moves have different advantages and depends of the team
Tailwind doesn't really help Tornadus itself though; I think it would be better served in AC. The other 2 moves actually help Tornadus get off a potential sweep, whereas Tailwind is basically a last ditch resort that you can use to support your team.

Also, thanks Delta!

Thanks. 1 more!

Also, I changed the order of Taunt and Substitute since I realize that Taunt is more useful in most occasions.

I don't know if this is the appropriate place, but I think the entire Tornadus OU write up could use a minor fix. Especially because it kinda bashes the idea of this set.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
GP CHECK 1/2

additions
removals

[SET]
name: Acrobatics
move 1: Acrobatics
move 2: Bulk Up
move 3: Brick Break
move 4: Taunt / Substitute
item: Flying Gem
ability: Prankster
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>A commonly used move in the VGC metagame, Acrobatics is extremely useful in OU as well. Tornadus is the perfect user of this wonderful move, boasting a base 115 Attack stat, Bulk Up, and a blistering base 111 Speed. Flight Gem is goes hand-in-hand with Acrobatics, powering it up to a 165 Base Power STAB move upon the first use. After Flight Gem is used, the power of Acrobatics is still doubled, allowing for making it a 110 Base Power move, something which move that Tornadus can use to decimate common special walls, such as Blissey, that think they have no reason to fear a Pokemon they presume is a special Tornadus.</p>

<p>This Tornadus is especially useful since it requires no weather to be in play, meaning it can wreak havoc even in sandstorm. This set works best on rain teams, however, since it just adds to the illusion that this Tornadus is a physical special variant; this illusion means that Tornadus can allows Tornadus to easily lure in and destroy one of the great enemies of rain teams, Tyranitar, with a Brick Break. Brick Break not only destroys Tyranitar, but also hits the Steel-types that resist Acrobatics super effectively.</p>

<p>Prankster Bulk Up lets Tornadus boost its Attack even higher, and also gives it a small amount of added additional bulk. The last slot can be used for either Taunt or Substitute. Taunt lets Tornadus stop Pokemon such as Skarmory from phazing it away, and also stops prevents the opposition from setting up on Tornadus; it also stops the enemy from using status-inducing moves on Tornadus. Substitute lets it Tornadus scout the opposition, and lets it allows it to actually benefit from being the target of a status-inducing move. This Tornadus can easily set up on walls, such as Blissey, thus allowing it to be making it even more deadly.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>252 Attack and Speed EVs are used in order to turn Tornadus into a much more threatening sweeper. However, as deadly as this set is, Jirachi and Magnezone are severe problems to this set. can cause it some serious problems. Skarmory is also a major nuisance, especially if you are using Substitute over Taunt. Therefore, Magnezone is a great partner for this set, being able to trap and eliminate Steel-types in the blink of an eye. Because of this synergy, if using Magnezone, U-Turn U-turn is a good option in the last slot, as it allows Tornadus to scout the Steel-type switch-in, and switch then bring in Magnezone for the easy KO.</p>

<p>Rain Dance is also an option for the last slot for a rain team, as it lets Tornadus replenish the weather condition before going down. Hidden Power Ice with a Naïve nature can also be used in the last slot in order to more effectively rid the field of Pokemon such as Salamence and Gliscor, but it makes Tornadus helpless against status-inducing moves. Tailwind is another option, and it can be used to double allowing you to double your team’s team's speed for 4 turns. However, once again, it leaves Tornadus helpless against status.</p>

<p>Hammer Arm is an option over Brick Break, but the higher Base Power is compromised by the Speed drop that comes with it. In addition, Pokemon with ExtremeSpeed such as Dragonite and Lucario are also major threats, as ExtremeSpeed’s ExtremeSpeed's +2 priority bypasses the priority of Prankster used for Bulk Up and Substitute. Lastly, powerful physical attackers can easily dominate this set, even with the help of Bulk Up, so be forewarned; powerful special attackers can also easily put the nail in Tornadus’s Tornadus's coffin.</p>

gorgeous darling

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)