RNG Manipulation in FireRed/LeafGreen: Wild Pokémon Supported in RNG Reporter 9.93

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaphotics

Remodeling Kitchens
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
With the newest version of RNG Reporter...

Encounter Slot tables for all Gen3 GBA games
Method H, the wild encounter method for Gen3 GBA games.

Targeted wild captures are now possible in FRLG now :P

Interesting username, and interesting information as well. I have updated the original post with a link to RNG Reporter in the Wild Pokémon section. From what I understand and recall, this means that we pretty much know everything about the games' RNG in terms of Pokémon generation; the only caveat is that said RNG is very difficult to manipulate on a physical cartridge.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Arseus, you should probably add that Method H is used for any Pokémon that is captured in battle and not simply gifted, including captured legendaries. Most will use the Method 1 variant of Method H, but I've personally captured a Mewtwo with the Method 2 variant.

Thanks, and will do. I've changed the former "Method 1" section to "Stationary/Gift" and noted that the non-gifted Pokémon will be generated by Method H. Hopefully I haven't contradicted myself in the first post by leaving old instances in place, but the main section should contain correct information now (I hope).

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It'd probably be less confusing if you separated stationary and gift Pokemon into distinct groups.

By the way, I think we're focusing too much on trying to control the initial seed with precisely-timed button presses. It would be much simpler to buy a cheap Method 1 Abra at the Game Corner, note the IVs and calculate the "seed" for that Abra.

You could then plug that seed into RNG Reporter, generate a list of upcoming spreads, and look for spreads of interest. If you have a timer synchronized with the button press of the moment you obtained Abra, it shouldn't be too difficult to hit your target. Much easier than dealing with a 16 MHz Timer1.

The whole scheme would require an upgrade to EonTimer, to make it capable of handling a target time added on-the-fly.

As per your first suggestion, I have separated the true "Method 1" Pokémon from the Stationary/Wild Pokémon, which both share the same section now. Am I correct to assume that stationary Pokémon are biased to the method 1 variant, whereas wild Pokémon are more commonly method 2 variant?

And as for your second suggestion, are you proposing that approach in lieu of something currently located in the post (e.g. The Skipping Method)? I'm admittedly not familiar with EonTimer (I haven't gone near the EntraLink in Gen V), so I don't know how that comes into play.

I'll be the first to admit that the first post is somewhat of a mess right now, but am I to understand that we are basically at a point where everything is "as good as it gets" as far as RNG manipulation in FireRed/LeafGreen is concerned? We have RNG Reporter integration (thank you for that) and we basically know how all the big stuff works. If that's the case, then we might be approaching the time when the whole thing can be redone as a guide for the site.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
Am I correct to assume that stationary Pokémon are biased to the method 1 variant, whereas wild Pokémon are more commonly method 2 variant?
Correct.

And as for you second suggestion, are you proposing that approach in lieu of something currently located in the post (e.g. The Skipping Method)? I'm admittedly not familiar with EonTimer (I haven't gone near the EntraLink in Gen V), so I don't know how that comes into play.
It would certainly be less of a headache. Just one button press to deal with. As for EonTimer, I only mentioned it as an example as a commonly-used timer.

I'll be the first to admit that the first post is somewhat of a mess right now, but am I to understand that we are basically at a point where everything is "as good as it gets" as far as RNG manipulation in FireRed/LeafGreen is concerned?
I think it can get better. The method I proposed would been useless in the past for anything but gift Pokemon, because before Method H we had no way of predicting the precise time at which a certain spread would appear. My method gives you one chance to hit a spread, and no opportunity to re-calibrate if Method H messed you up and you didn't know it. But it's still easier than dealing with a 16 MHz timer AND the 60 frames\sec advancements.

Thanks. Duly noted.

I think it can get better. The method I proposed would been useless in the past for anything but gift Pokemon, because before Method H we had no way of predicting the precise time at which a certain spread would appear. My method gives you one chance to hit a spread, and no opportunity to re-calibrate if Method H messed you up and you didn't know it. But it's still easier than dealing with a 16 MHz timer AND the 60 frames\sec advancements.
Okay; what I will do then is put your post describing your method in the OP above NixHex's original post, also with the mentioned flaw that re-calibration cannot be done. I will leave NixHex and Zari's original posts under that one.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
Correction: turns out I was wrong about stationary captures being Method H. They follow Method 1, but due to vBlanks advancing the RNG at inopportune times as Bond mentioned, they can be Method 2\4 as well.

If I may ask, what is the Method H-1 on RNG Reporter 9.93 used for? From what I've read so far, R/S/Fr/Lg use the same Method 1 used by Emerald for stationary Pokemon. I understand that Method H-2 and Method H-4 are for wild Pokemon in R/S/Fr/Lg, so is Method H-1 also used for wild Pokemon sometimes? Thanks!

If I may ask, what is the Method H-1 on RNG Reporter 9.93 used for? From what I've read so far, R/S/Fr/Lg use the same Method 1 used by Emerald for stationary Pokemon. I understand that Method H-2 and Method H-4 are for wild Pokemon in R/S/Fr/Lg, so is Method H-1 also used for wild Pokemon sometimes? Thanks!
That's right. Method H-1, H-2, and H-4 are all used for wild pokemon.

Toast++

Nexus is literally the worst.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It'd probably be less confusing if you separated stationary and gift Pokemon into distinct groups.

By the way, I think we're focusing too much on trying to control the initial seed with precisely-timed button presses. It would be much simpler to buy a cheap Method 1 Abra at the Game Corner, note the IVs and calculate the "seed" for that Abra.

You could then plug that seed into RNG Reporter, generate a list of upcoming spreads, and look for spreads of interest. If you have a timer synchronized with the button press of the moment you obtained Abra, it shouldn't be too difficult to hit your target. Much easier than dealing with a 16 MHz Timer1.

The whole scheme would require an upgrade to EonTimer, to make it capable of handling a target time added on-the-fly.
This is done. I haven't released it yet so if anyone is interested in testing this idea, send me a PM for the beta.

Hello there.

I hope this thread is still active.

So I've been reading the start of it, but I got really confused. Plus English not being my native language, it's even harder.

I want to manipulate RNG to get the Pokémons I want in RF (Gen 3).

I've found too many PID generators, and I am not sure on which one should be used.

Anyway, I first need a noob-proof tut or PID generator to get the legit PID closest to my expectations. Then I need a noob-proof tut on how to manipulate RNG to get this PID.

Here are the Pokémons I'm looking for (I also added the best PID I came up with, don't know if legit. On Gen 4, so I need Gen 3 if it's different and to be legit+possible with RNG manipulation) :

All must be Male, with Ability 1.

===Found in the Wild===

- Pikachu. Hidd. Power = Electric. Nature = Hasty. Best IVs available.
Best PID I came up with, don't know if legit. On Gen 4 : 495742461

- Butterfree. Hidd. Power = Bug. Nature = Modest. Best IVs available.
Best PID I came up with, don't know if legit. On Gen 4 : 577293765

- Pidgeotto. Hidd. Power = Flying. Nature = Naive. Best IVs available.
Best PID I came up with, don't know if legit. On Gen 4 : 852930239

===From Prof. Oak===

- Bulbasaur. Hidd. Power = Grass or Poison. Nature = Quiet. Best IVs available.
Best PID I came up with, don't know if legit. On Gen 4 : 2196514992

- Charmander. Hidd. Power = Fire. Nature = Hasty. Best IVs available.
Best PID I came up with, don't know if legit. On Gen 4 : 2917043886

- Squirtle. Hidd. Power = Water. Nature = Relaxed. Best IVs available.
Best PID I came up with, don't know if legit. On Gen 4 : 3263171157

---

Thanks in advance for your help.

EDIT : I can also use a GameShark/Action Replay code if that makes RNG manipulation easier.

Hola, yo tampoco se demasiado ingles, pero me encantaria tener un buen Mewtwo y Zapdos, Aladore solo necesitas buscar un reparto que te guste, el resto de los pokemons que no sean los sagrados de Rojo Fuego Verde Hoja mejor comprar un Esmeralda y manipular ahi el Rng, volviendo al tema principal, lo complicado seria despues de buscar el Abra, toma tiempo llegar hasta Mewtwo, pero quizas para Zapdos se pueda lograr, pero solo hay 1 oportunidad.....Muy dificil!!
Espero novedades en este post!

Translate:

Hello, I was not too English, but I would love to have a good Mewtwo and Zapdos, Aladore just need to find a frame you like, the other pokemons other than leyend FireRed LeafGreen, better to buy a cartridge Emerald and manipulate the Rng there, returning to the main topic, how difficult would look after the Abra, it takes time to get Mewtwo. But perhaps for Zapdos can be achieved, but there is only 1 chance ..... very hard!
I hope this news post!

Kaphotics

Remodeling Kitchens
is a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hola, yo tampoco se demasiado ingles, pero me encantaria tener un buen Mewtwo y Zapdos, Aladore solo necesitas buscar un reparto que te guste, el resto de los pokemons que no sean los sagrados de Rojo Fuego Verde Hoja mejor comprar un Esmeralda y manipular ahi el Rng, volviendo al tema principal, lo complicado seria despues de buscar el Abra, toma tiempo llegar hasta Mewtwo, pero quizas para Zapdos se pueda lograr, pero solo hay 1 oportunidad.....Muy dificil!!
Espero novedades en este post!

Translate:

Hello, I was not too English, but I would love to have a good Mewtwo and Zapdos, Aladore just need to find a frame you like, the other pokemons other than leyend FireRed LeafGreen, better to buy a cartridge Emerald and manipulate the Rng there, returning to the main topic, how difficult would look after the Abra, it takes time to get Mewtwo. But perhaps for Zapdos can be achieved, but there is only 1 chance ..... very hard!
I hope this news post!
You're looking to RNG the Zapdos / Mewtwo in FRLG with the Game Corner Abra method, I assume.

We currently don't have any way of doing this yet.

Your best luck is to RNG in HGSS instead, I'm afraid.

==

with help of google translate lol:

Tu quieres saber cómo RNG con el Abra del GameCorner, pero nos no tenemos la capacidad en RNG Reporter o cualquier otro programa (temporizador).

Si las RNG en un emulador que será capaz de (concedida sabes lo que estás haciendo), pero eso no tiene cabida en esta discusión ;)

Estás de suerte, lo siento!

Additionally, since Ruby and Sapphire apparently function in a manner similar to Emerald once their internal batteries run dry, Ruby and Sapphire abuse in its purest form would only last as long as the battery in any given cartridge. As such, I do not see the sense in devoting much time to it.
I'm sorry, but what exactly is meant in the bold? Does it mean that after your internal battery runs dry, the Ruby/Sapphire cart is expected to die completely and become unplayable?

That was a really old post, but in any case Ruby and Sapphire apparently seed in the same manner as FireRed and LeafGreen—until the battery dies in the cartridge. Then they function much like Emerald in that they will only generate one starting seed. For more information on the current state of Ruby and Sapphire RNG manipulation, I recommend you check out NixHex's guide RNG Abuse of Non‑Bred Pokémon in Ruby and Sapphire.

That was a really old post, but in any case Ruby and Sapphire apparently seed in the same manner as FireRed and LeafGreen—until the battery dies in the cartridge. Then they function much like Emerald in that they will only generate one starting seed. For more information on the current state of Ruby and Sapphire RNG manipulation, I recommend you check out NixHex's guide RNG Abuse of Non‑Bred Pokémon in Ruby and Sapphire.
Not at all. I researched it a fair amount myself, and abusing it seems far more difficult than FRLG, at least before the Game Corner trick gets figured out (I tried catching Registeel, but kept getting weird advances, even timing every A press in battle.) The seeding is based on time, and the cycle doesn't repeat for months. Either predict seeds, which I tried, and have it fail too often for you to have a decent chance at the frame, or reverse engineer the whole thing and hope that when the month comes you get your spread.

Interesting. I based that assumption on this part of NixHex's post in the linked topic:

They undergo the same selection process as FireRed and LeafGreen, where you must depend on finding common seeds and searching for desirable spreads that arise from those seeds.
Am I to understand that this means the actual formula (e.g. 2-byte number) is the same but the numbers come from different places (e.g. date rather than title screen time)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)