Golduck (QC 3/3)

Golduck..the Duck Pokemon!

[Overview]

-Golduck has been given very little to play with this generation.
-Mediocre offensive stats are a let down however it has a great movepool with a variety of offensive routes to take / Great coverage.
-A new ability, Swift Swim in combination with Hone Claws or Calm Mind can make it a potent threat provided the correct team support is provided in the form of entry hazards.

[SET]
Name: Orbed Duck
Move 1: Hydro Pump
Move 2: Ice Beam
Move 3: Hidden Power Grass
Move 4: Psyshock / Focus Blast
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]
-Life Orb boosts Golduck's offensive capabilities however it comes with significantly reducing his life expectancy.
-Boosted Hydro Pump is something most NU tier Pokemon don't want to switch into.
-Psyshock to get nice damage of Cryognal etc.
-Ice Beam annihilates Altaria, Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Dragonair.
-HP Grass deals with Lanturn, water/ground-types and rounds of the coverage.

[Additional Comments]
-Life Orb gives this duck the extra power it needs.
-The EVs are simple and tailored for the duties Golduck is to carry out, plain out offense.
-Focus Blast can be used if you feel that Ice-types such as Cryognal and Regice are a major pain.

[SET]
Name: Choice Specs
Move 1: Hydro Pump
Move 2: Hidden Power Grass / Psychic
Move 3: Ice Beam
Move 4: Focus Blast
Item: Choice Specs
Nature: Timid / Modest

[Set Comments]
-Choice items help boost Golduck's decent Special Attack and Speed.
-Hydro Pump is Golduck's STAB Attack, getting of great damage against anything that doesn't resist it in the NU tier.
-HP Grass hurts Lanturn, Water/ground type Pokemon whilst Psychic demolishes the Fighting-types roaming around.
-Focus Blast for Steel-types and to round of the great coverage this duck has.
-Psychic for annihilation of Fighting and Poison-types.

[Additional Comments]
-The choice item depends on your needs. Golduck can serve as a decent revenge killer as well as a hard hitting machine.
-The EVs are simple and tailored for the duties Golduck is to carry out, plain out offense.
-Reason for HP grass and Psychic sharing a set is that you wouldn't want to be locked into HP Grass in comparison to something a bit more threatening like Focus Blast.
-Modest nature to be used if you have rain dance since Swift Swim doubles Golduck's speed.

[SET]
Name: Calm Mind
Move 1: Calm Mind
Move 2: Hydro Pump / Surf
Move 3: Ice Beam
Move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Psyshock
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Timid

[Set Comments]
-One of two set up moves, and generally the better one, Calm Mind can allow Golduck to sweep with a well timed set up.
-Hydro Pump is Golduck's STAB Attack, getting of great damage against anything that doesn't resist it in the NU tier. Surf if you don't like the low PP and slightly dodgy accuracy.
-HP Grass hurts Lanturn, Water/ground type Pokemon whilst Psychic demolishes the Fighting-types roaming around.

[Additional Comments]
-Psyshock can be used over HP Grass to have an easier time with Regice, Cryognal and Amoongus. HP Grass helps with Lanturn, Slowking and other Waters.

[Other Options]
-Substitute + Disable set
-Hone Claws, can go either fully Physical or mixed
-Hypnosis
-Encore
-Rain Dance
-Cloud Nine is another good ability and can be used to negate weather.

[Checks and Counters]
-Lanturn
-Mantine
-Slowking
-Gorebyss can set up on Golduck locked into a tiny effect move and Baton Pass.
-Regice

I know this isn't finished, but I'd like to point out a few things that are bugging me a little bit.

First, Swift Swim is released, and a rain abuser with Choice Specs sounds like it could work fairly well.

On the Checks and Counters, what is Gorebyss going to be passing? SmashPass is banned in NU, and I don't think Gorebyss wants to pass anything other than that when it can just Shell-Sweep.

It's looking good though, can't wait to see it when it's done! :D

The SC/ AC for (EDIT) all three sets are identical, including the comment about the choice of Choice item, even though they aren't using the same moves and play differently.

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
Youve mentioned Calm Mind in the overview but it doesnt even have a set or OO mention...
I think it deserves a set if Hone Claws does, on the Hone Claws set, Aqua Tail can be used over Waterfall due to Hone Claws fixing up accuracy issues although Aqua Tail is illegal with the Dream World ability

@waterwarrior: He's still working on it. He just copied the SC/AC sections from the Choice Set to the other two to have those there for when he resumes editing. It's not like he actually thinks there's a choice item on all three sets. -_-

Yea calm mind should be a set as well, hone claws is not that good but I suppose it's good enough if just barely... we'll see what other qc members have to say

The SC/ AC for (EDIT) all three sets are identical, including the comment about the choice of Choice item, even though they aren't using the same moves and play differently.
I just said this is w.i.p.

Youve mentioned Calm Mind in the overview but it doesnt even have a set or OO mention...
I think it deserves a set if Hone Claws does, on the Hone Claws set, Aqua Tail can be used over Waterfall due to Hone Claws fixing up accuracy issues although Aqua Tail is illegal with the Dream World ability
Ok so I have tested Hone claws and it works somewhat although it is kinda situational so I'll just keep it in OO, and yes I agree that it needs Hypnosis however it would probably work better as a secondary move due to its poor accuracy. Also just to let everyone know I aint done with this and I am yet to add a CM set. Thanks for all the suggestions!

@Mikedec Once again, I am not done with this I C/Pd some bit to save time on formatting...and yes I removed the Hone claws set and made it in OO.

Consider a rain sweeper, because while it's pretty much outclassed, Hypnosis / Encore lets it have some advantages over other rain sweepers.

In the first set, Crygonal gets annihilated by Psyshock (due to its piss poor defense), so remove its mention in the AC.

Second set, I would throw Hypnosis in the AC. Definitely not main set material, but worth a mention at least. Same probably goes for Psyshock.

For CM, you mention Focus Blast, but it's not in the set..... just pointing that out.

Remove Psyshock from OO since you mentioned it in the first set.

About Hone Claws, not worth having it in a main set imo. Even at +1 accuracy, Hypnosis still sucks.

In the first set, Crygonal gets annihilated by Psyshock (due to its piss poor defense), so remove its mention in the AC.

Yeah I still haven't finished tidying everything hence some bits are c/p for other bits.

Second set, I would throw Hypnosis in the AC. Definitely not main set material, but worth a mention at least. Same probably goes for Psyshock.

Second Set is choiced set? I don't get how Hypnosis works with that.

For CM, you mention Focus Blast, but it's not in the set..... just pointing that out.

Read the title.

Remove Psyshock from OO since you mentioned it in the first set.

Refer to the above.

About Hone Claws, not worth having it in a main set imo. Even at +1 accuracy, Hypnosis still sucks.
It doesn't have a main set, it was removed before you posted lol..

EDIT: Ready for QC.

Scarfed Brelooms run Spore, and some Scarf Politoeds run Hypnosis. The idea is to catch its counter on the switch and cripple it with sleep.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
IMO, the choice sets should be OO, as Simipour has a better Special Attack and Speed Stat, and completely outclasses Golduck as a Choice User

on the CM Set, maybe Encore slashed next to HP Grass, helps Golduck set up more CMs.

and maybe a SS Sweeper set, it's really effective

It doesn't matter if a certain Pokemon is outclassed with respect to a certain set it has, this is NU lol and also Goduck can perform rather well, so if the set is viable why not put it in, thanks for the suggestion anyways.

By SS sweeper do you mean Golduck setting up Rain itself or utilizing it? Cause the LO set can take advantage of that, infact all these sets are just made better with rain.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I would slash Encore next to HP Grass on the LO set.

Cloud Nine should be in the AC of all the sets since Golduck is still one of the best weather counters available, especially now that hail is out of the tier.

Also remember that everything under [SET] shouldn't be capitalized.

QC APPROVED 1/3

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
By SS sweeper do you mean Golduck setting up Rain itself or utilizing it? Cause the LO set can take advantage of that, infact all these sets are just made better with rain.
having him set it up itself and using it is a great way to use golduck

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Get rid of the Dream World section, Swift Swim is released.

On the topic of Swift Swim, I think the Choice set should focus on either being Bulky or tailored to Choice Specs in Rain, since that's what Golduck does better than Simipour. In Specs + Rain is both faster and more powerful than Scarf Simipour, and easily outspeeds Specs Simipour.

On the LO Set, Psyshock / Focus Blast should be the last slash and move Ice Beam / HP Grass up a slot each.

Cloud Nine should get a mention in OO because it shuts down Sun teams partially (but is still weak to Grass).

Thanks alot peeps, will make the changes. Should I then just remove choice scarf set and mention it in OO and then just have a sole specs set with a timid nature?

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Thanks alot peeps, will make the changes. Should I then just remove choice scarf set and mention it in OO and then just have a sole specs set with a timid nature?
..with Modest slashed for rain, yup - otherwise Specs Simipour still hits harder.

Think Outside the Box!

I like the bulky set I've used with physical bulk and some special attack. It uses scald, toxic, worry seed, and another move of your choice. Basically it can cripple rest talkers and some other pokes with worry seed and inflict status.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)