Machamp

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus

I Spam DynamicPunch

[Overview]

<p>Machamp is the epitome of a bulky attacker. With base 130 Attack and a wide movepool, Machamp is a force to be reckoned with.
Moreover, its ability, No Guard, means thatit can spam 100 Base Power DynamicPunch with a 100% chance of confusion, and 90 / 80 / 85 defenses means it can take a lot of hits while dishing back powerful attacks. However, the Superpower Pokemon isn’t without its faults. With only 55 base Speed, Machamp is constantly outsped by Pokemon such as Latios and Tornadus. Furthermore, with Intimidate so common in the metagame, Machamp will find it hard-pressed to keep up a constant stream of assaults. Nevertheless, Machamp is a Pokemon that definitely should not be overlooked.</p>

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: DynamicPunch
move 2: Ice Punch
move 3: Stone Edge / Bullet Punch
move 4:
Wide Guard / Protect
item: Sitrus Berry
ability: No Guard
nature: Adamant / Brave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is built around Machamp's great defensive
capabilities. 90 / 80 / 85 defenses are nothing to joke about, and as it only has two weaknesses, Machamp will be on the field for a while. DynamicPunch is Machamp's greatest asset, as it is easily abused with No Guard. Ice Punch is used to hurt Pokemon such as Garchomp and Zapdos. Stone Edge cannot miss thanks to No Guard, nails Volcarona and Yanmega, andhits Gyarados harder than Ice Punch. Bullet Punch is also a nice option, as it gives Machamp a priority attack to finish off Pokemon at lowhealth. Machamp gets a great move for VGC 2012, Wide Guard, which protects your team from Blizzard, Heat Wave, Surf, Earthquake, or any other spread move that comes your way. This provides great team support, but Protect can be used to block attacks aimed atMachamp, giving Machamp's partner time to take out a threat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Sitrus Berry adds on to its overall bulk, as
Machamp can restore a fair amount of HP back when it activates. The EVs and nature give Machamp bulk while also boosting its attack. An alternativeoption is to run aBrave nature and 0 Speed IVs, as it allows Machamp to abuse its base 55 Speed in Trick Room. As for teammates, Pokemon with access to Thunder Wave work well, as Machamp enjoys being able to outspeed its opponent.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Machamp gets a huge movepool, and there are many viable alternatives for its moves. Earthquake gives Machamp great spread move coverage, as well as the ability tohit Toxicroak. It also gets
Helping Hand, which boosts the power ofan ally's attack by 50%. Encore also makes a good option for Machamp, as it can lock Pokemon into moves such as Tailwind or Trick Room, though Machamp struggles to find a moveslot for it. It also gets Light Screen, which gives great team support. However, Machamp doesn't want to give up any of its coverage movesand so many of the above options struggle to fit in on Machamp’s sets. Item-wise, Machamp can use Fighting Gem, as it allows you to OHKO Chople Berry Tyranitar and deal massive damage to anything that gets hit by it. White Herb, though situational, can be used to bypass Intimidate once, allowing Machamp to retain its powerful Attack. Choice Scarf is also a nice option to use on Machamp, as it allows him to fix his speed problems. With a Choice Scarf and a Jolly nature, an EV spread of 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe outspeeds Jolly Garchomp, and a spread of 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe outspeeds positive natured base 105s. However,Machamp dislikes using a Jolly nature over anAdamant one, as its attacks will be far less powerfulthan the physical attacker set. And, even ifit were to run max speed,it would still not outspeed speed demons such as Latios, Tornadus,and Infernape. Pokemon like Weavile and your own Latios can be used to counter these threats, and so work well as a teammate. A Guts set is also viable, but this means you would have to use Close Combat over DynamicPunch, which reduces its great defenses; besides, Pokemon such as Hariyama can pull such sets off better, thanks to Fake Out.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Pokemon that resist DynamicPunch usually check Machamp. Reuniclus and Musharna make great Machamp counters since they take little damage from DynamicPunch, are slower (and therefore not hurt
as badlyby Payback), and can KO back with Psychic. Slowbro also falls in this category, as Payback and ThunderPunch are the only ways to hit it, while it can deal heavy damage to Machamp with Psychic. These counters, however, are not immune to DynamicPunch and do not enjoy the confusion that it brings. Ghost-type Pokemon such as Sableye and Dusclops are immune to DynamicPunch, take little from its otherattacks, and can use Will-O-Wisp to completely cripple it. This is especially true for Sableye, who gets priority through Prankster. Intimidate cuts Machamp’s Attack and makes his attacks weaker, making it far less of a threat.</p>

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Written Up and ready for QC and hopefully GP.

This is my first analysis, so be gentle :D

Set should be like:

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 3: Rock Slide / Stone Edge
move 4: ThunderPunch
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
evs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe

and

[SET]
move 2: Ice Punch / Payback
move 3: Rock Slide / Stone Edge / Bullet Punch
move 4: Protect / Wide Guard
item: Sitrus Berry / Payapa Berry
evs:252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

Remember to leave spaces after ':' and '/' . Also Speed is abreviated as Spe not SpD. SpD is Special Defense.

Mention teammates in [ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] of the second set.

Pretty solid stuff, good work.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Set should be like:

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 3: Rock Slide / Stone Edge
move 4: ThunderPunch
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Jolly
evs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe

and

[SET]
move 2: Ice Punch / Payback
move 3: Rock Slide / Stone Edge / Bullet Punch
move 4: Protect / Wide Guard
item: Sitrus Berry / Payapa Berry
Thanks, i'll edit these in right away

Remember to leave spaces after ':' and '/' . Also Speed is abreviated as Spe not SpD. SpD is Special Defense.

Mention teammates in [ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] of the second set.

Pretty solid stuff, good work.
Ok, again, 1st Analysis, but it makes sense, will fix.

I'll mention teammates later on today, it's 6 AM here, i need sleep lol

and thanks, means alot coming from someone who obviously has been here a while

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
there should really only be one set with scarf in OO. scarf is not bad but wide guard support with a +attack nature is better overall. dpunch, ice punch, rock slide / bullet punch, wide guard @ gems or lum has worked well. with guts, it loses 100% dpunch, so heracross / hariyama generally do its job better. not saying it cant work, but it should be in oo with those reasons.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
there really needs to be either a guts mention or a guts set....
with guts, it loses 100% dpunch, so heracross / hariyama generally do its job better.
thats the reason i didn't add it in their, also Conkeldurr can use do it better as well thanks to priority. and if you use Guts, the next accurate fighting STAB is Close Combat, and i don't like to waste Machamp's great defenses.

there should really only be one set with scarf in OO. scarf is not bad but wide guard support with a +attack nature is better overall. dpunch, ice punch, rock slide / bullet punch, wide guard @ gems or lum has worked well. not saying it cant work, but it should be in oo with those reasons.
Idk, imo scarf Champ was an effective way to use him. The ability to outspeed things such as Hydregion and Zapdos and being able to hit them first worked really well. If I get enough dislike for it, i'll remove the set, but it's a really efficient set.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
stone edge does not ohko zapdos, ice punch does not ohko yache garchomp, and with adamant, it doesnt outspeed base 100s.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
stone edge does not ohko zapdos, ice punch does not ohko yache garchomp, and with adamant, it doesnt outspeed base 100s.
i know, it needs Adamant to OHKO, and it doesn't even KO standard VGC 12 Zappy

Ok, i'll mention it in OO, and leave the Physical Attacker set as the main option

EDIT- Fixed

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
Solace and I talked about this on IRC.

Earthquake and Fire Punch hit Metagross just as hard as DynamicPunch. The only time either of those would be useful is Fire Punch to hit Scizor, and Scizor is most commonly used on rain teams. Remove Fire Punch, and just mention Earthquake for cool spread coverage and hitting Toxicroak.

Steadfast is available, so mention that it's released in the Dream World section. Payapa is just about useless, since Ice Punch + Bullet Punch only has about a 60% chance to KO Latios. In addition, Latios's Psyshock (the more common attack) only does 85.3% - 100.5% to 252 HP Machamp, which hardly ever KOes. While Psychic has a 42% chance to OHKO Machamp, it's still not useful, because Machamp has no way to 2HKO Latios in return.

Mention Light Screen because Machamp gets it and it could be useful at some point to help it survive stuff like random Psychics. Just slap it in OO.

Mention a Guts set in OO. Although Hariyama completely outclasses it thanks to greater bulk and access to Fake Out (which has to be mentioned), it's definitely still a usable set.

EDIT: Add White Herb in OO to stop Intimidate; it's situational, but effective. Payback is kinda useless except for hitting Gengar and Latios, and the latter will just eliminate Machamp with Psychic or Gem DM anyway. Bulky ghosts are slower than Machamp, so are hit just as hard by Stone Edge, and will probably just use Will-O-Wisp on Machamp anyway. Remove the Rock Slide slash (but not Stone Edge), because Ice Punch has overlapping coverage, and Stone Edge has a 78% chance or so to KO Gyara in two uses, and Gyarados is annoying.

When those changes are made, QC 1/2

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Fixed

Fixed

Added

Added

Already Had White Herb in there, removed Payback and Rock Slide

And with this, this is ready for GP

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Amateur GP check here!
Removals in RED
Changes in BLUE
Comments in BOLD

I Spam DynamicPunch

[Overview]

<p>Machamp is the perfect definition of a bulky attacker. With base 130 Attack and a wide movepool, Machamp is a force to be reckoned with. If that wasn't good enough, its ability, No Guard, means it (Chose it or he and stick with it. I won't change this for everything) can spam 100 base power Dynamicpunch with a 100% chance of confusion. Plus, his 90/80/85 defenses means he can take a lot of hits, while dishing back with powerful attacks. However, it isn't without it's faults. With 55 base speed, Machamp is constantly being outsped by Pokemon such as Latios and Tornadus. That, combined with Intimidate being such a common ability used in VGC 12, his attacks won't be as powerful afterwards. Nevertheless, Machamp is a Pokemon that definitely should not be overlooked.</p>

[SET]
move 3: Stone Edge / Bullet Punch
move 4: Wide Guard/ Protect
item: Sitrus Berry
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is built around Machamp's great defenses. 90/80/85 defenses are nothing to joke about, and since it only has 2 weaknesses, Machamp will be on the field a while. Dynamicpunch is Machamp's greatest asset, as it can be easily abused with No Guard and also hits incredibly hard. Ice Punch is used to hurt Pokemon such as Garchomp and Zapdos. Stone Edge can be used to nail Volcarona and Yanmega, and it also hits Gyarados harder than Ice Punch, and it won't miss thanks to No Guard. Bullet Punch is also a nice option, as it gives Machamp a priority to finish Pokemon at low HP. Machamp gets a great move for VGC 12, Wide Guard, which protects your team from Blizzard, Heat Wave, Surf, Earthquake, or any other spread move that comes your way. This provides great team support, but Protect can be used to prevent extra damage on Machamp such as Fake Outs or a Latios' Psychic, which gives Machamp's partner time to take out a threat.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The choice of items depends on what you want to accomplish with Machamp. Sitrus Berry adds on to its overall bulk, as it can gain a decent about of HP back when it's activated.</p>

<p>The EVs are used to give Machamp as much bulk as possible. An option that can be used is Brave Nature and 0 Speed IVs, as it allows Machamp to work in Trick Room, as 55 base speed is very usable in Trick Room. As for teammates, Pokemon such as Thunder Wave Togekiss or Cresselia also work well by giving Machamp support, as now Machamp can destroy the opponent with ParaFusion with DynamicPunch.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Machamp gets a huge movepool, and there are a bunch of goodies that it can use. Earthquake gives Machamp great spread move coverage, as well as hitting Toxicroak. However, it also means that Machamp loses a coverage attack. It also gets moves such as Helping Hand, which boosts an ally's attack by 50%. Encore also makes a good option for Machamp, as it can lock Pokemon into moves such as Tailwind or Trick Room if predicted right, though Machamp struggles to find a spot for it. It also gets Light Screen, which gives great team support as it raises both Machamp's and its ally's Special Defense. However as said above, Machamp doesn't want to give up any of its coverage moves struggles to find a spot for it. Item-wise, Machamp can use Fighting Gem on the Physical Attacker set, as it allows you to KO Chople Berry Tyranitar and deal massive damage to anything that gets hit by it. White Herb, though situational, can be used to bypass Intimidate just once, as this helps Machamp can retain its powerful attack. Choice Scarf is also a nice option to use on Machamp, as it allows him to fix his speed problems. An EV Spread of 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe and a Jolly nature means he outspeeds Jolly Garchomps, or a spread of 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe means he outspeeds positive nature base 105s. However, this means he has to use Jolly, which means his attacks won't be as powerful as the physical attacker set. And, even if you were to run max speed, you would not outspeed things such as Latios, Tornadus, and Infernape. Pokemon like Weavile and your own Latios can be used to get rid of those threats. Other Pokemon such as Follow Me Togekiss or Thunder Wave or Icy Wind Cresselia also work well in giving Machamp support. (Discussed above) A Guts set is also viable, but this means you would have to use Close Combat over DynamicPunch, which throws away his great defenses. Also, Pokemon such as Hariyama can pull that off better thanks to Fake Out.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Pokemon that resist DynamicPunch usually make great checks to Machamp. Pokemon like Reuniclus and Musharna make great Machamp counters since they take little damage from DynamicPunch, are slower (and are therefore not badly hurt by Payback), and KO with Psychic. Slowbro also falls in this category, as un-STAB Payback and ThunderPunch are the only ways to hit it, and it can deal heavy damage with Psychic, though it, like Reuniclus and Musharna, do not enjoy confusion. Ghost Pokemon such as Sableye and Dusclops are immune to DynamicPunch, take little from it's attacks, and both can use Will-O-Wisp to cripple it completely. This is especially Sableye, who gets priority through Prankster. Intimidate is also a nice way to cut his Attack, which makes his attacks weaker and in turn keeps your Pokemon alive.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Machamp receives the ability Steadfast from the Dream World. Even when it is released, it should not be used, as No Guard is the reason you are using Machamp in the first place. If Steadfast is used on a team at all, it is better left off to Gallade or Lucario.</p>

This set should be added, as i guess it's really viable on VGC12
name: u burn bro?
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Wide Guard
move 4: Bullet Punch
item: Expert Belt / Life Orb
ability: Guts
nature: Adamant
DynamicPunch without Guts is horrendous, so we can use Guts + Close Combat (and has even more power). With Wide Guard to Blizzard and Earthquake, and Rock Slide to hit hard most sweepers, Machamp becomes a powerful threat. Thanks to Bullet Punch @ Life Orb, becomes also a great revengekiller. Also, mention Fire Blast in other options (100% Accuracy, can burn, fucks up Skarmory and others)

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
This set should be added, as i guess it's really viable on VGC12DynamicPunch without Guts is horrendous, so we can use Guts + Close Combat (and has even more power). With Wide Guard to Blizzard and Earthquake, and Rock Slide to hit hard most sweepers, Machamp becomes a powerful threat. Thanks to Bullet Punch @ Life Orb, becomes also a great revengekiller. Also, mention Fire Blast in other options (100% Accuracy, can burn, fucks up Skarmory and others)
It already has a OO mention, and Skarmory is never seen in Doubles, so I won't mention it.

@Solace, removed

GatoDelFuego

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Implemented all except for these here

Its DynamicPunch, so I left it as is

It is out, thats why I had it like that
So it is, my mistake. I've never seen a one-word move capitalized twice. What is gamefreak thinking...

I think there might be a couple of errors when copyediting some sections, especially the "other options" section. Just copy-paste that paragraph and delete anything in red. Some removals I didn't highlight and just changed to blue. I'll be sure not to do that again...

GatoDelFuego

also, if steadfast is released, make sure you mention that No Guard is a superior ability in the analysis.

GatoDelFuego

An error of mine: "This is especially Sableye, who gets" should be "This is especially true for Sableye, who gets"

The additional comments are really lacking... First paragraph in AC should explain things like nature, EVs, item, etc. Second paragraph should provide useful teammates for that particular set. (Just a side note, paralysis spreading doesn't help if you're running Trick Room, cuz it just "speeds" up your opponent") Also, you're missing a Dream World section x.x

Fix it up a bit and I'll be happy to GP it ^.^

GatoDelFuego

Machamp's DW ability is released, so no need for a DW section. However, that does mean that the ability needs to be discussed, so make sure that's there.

Also, make sure that every "He" is not "it" or vice versa

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)