Guides for beginners

Smogon is a wonderful site...

If you are familiar with the competitive battling scene that is. You can't battle competitively until you beat the game. Therefore, this site is worthless unless you can beat the game. I think we should include brief in-game guides for those beginners. Such a guide does not need to be very long. For example, a guide for Gym 1 in Pokemon Platinum can be as short as this:

If you have a level 10 or higher Piplup or Turtwig, this battle will be a breeze. Chimchar players may want to evolve Chimchar so Monferno can 2HKO all of Roark's Pokemon with Mach Punch. Alternatively, you can use a Machop.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
You're free to suggest in-game guides and such in the Articles section of C&C and write them up yourself.

This has more than likely been brought up before, but as you can imagine, writing a full in-game guide is an enormously long task, and our in-game article collection more focuses on the competitive aspects of the in-game cartridge, not so much how to get through it.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you are familiar with the competitive battling scene that is. You can't battle competitively until you beat the game. Therefore, this site is worthless unless you can beat the game.
This is completely untrue, most aspects of this site are related to the battle simulator Pokemon Online.

It'd be nice to have our own walkthroughs in the in-game section, but our in-game articles centre on competitive things (such as where to find competitively relevant items in-game, how to RNG abuse Pokémon, and move tutor lists). It's worth noting we do have the in-game tier list articles, which were compiled as a result of forum discussion. You can always ask a mod in the in-game project for approval to write it yourself. But the games aren't TOO hard and there are many walkthroughs on the internet.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Who the fuck can't beat the game?
It's a children's game, maybe not at the competitive level, but the story/gameplay is designed to be simple enough for a nine year old to beat.

+1 for this idea. If nothing else, it'd be nice to know how it might be possible to EV train even as you're slogging your way through the storyline, potentially killing two birds with one stone. (For example, New Mauville is ideal for special sweepers in RSE, with Voltorb granting speed and Magnemite offering SpA.) Or, if you feel like trying to become the next AeroValkyrie, there could be an article about AI abuse.

It might also be interesting to see some in-depth strategy for specific battles--for example, BW Cynthia is smart enough to switch out of Perish Song on the last turn. While it's true that there's nothing in the regular game that can't be bypassed with sufficient grinding, people that prefer to have as much information at their fingertips as possible might appreciate the help. (For example, if you keep your dragon before the final fight with N, the initial matchup will be dragon vs. dragon, and his has 2 levels on yours so chances are he'll outspeed. However, Intimidate Krookodile will do wonders towards whittling Zekrom down to a more manageable size, and as a bonus he's immune to Fusion Bolt.)

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i would like to point out that aragornbird has a really excellent guide here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/989552-pokemon-black-version/faqs/60956

considering he has done a lot of work for smogon in the past, it would be pretty boss if we had permission to use his guide as well or w/e

just throwing it out there
Yeah, I was going to say that this seems like a lot of work for something that's pretty easy to do, but if aragornbird is okay with also hosting the site on Smogon I think we should definitely do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)