Scolipede (Full Revamp) [QC 3/3] GP(2/2)

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The one on site is a bit outdated (Dec 25, 2010)—there are Excadrill and Thundurus mentions, and it could be emphasized more that Scolipede is one of the fastest Spikers now that Deoxys-S is gone. I still think it's viable in OU because Deoxys-S is gone, and Scolipede filled that quick Spiker role for me. There are also a few lower tier mentions--Pokemon one would rarely see in OU currently. I'm also iffy about that Swords Dance set.
Thanks to Zy, for the original, from which I took some stuff.

[Overview]

<p>Scolipede possesses overall mediocre stats bar a "selective" base 112 Speed, but such Speed is all it needs to function. With the departure of Deoxys-S, the position for a fast Spiker was vacant, while candidates to fill this role boil down to Deoxys-D, Accelgor, and Scolipede. While each has its advantages, Scolipede boasts a STAB Megahorn, dealing massive amounts of damage to common Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Latios. Furthermore, it has a handy 4x resistance to Fighting, among other small perks. These are just enough to justify Scolipede's role on a team in a position you might otherwise want to use Scizor in.</p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Toxic Spikes
move 3: Megahorn
move 4: Earthquake / Rock Slide
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly
ability: Swarm
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Access to both Spikes and Toxic Spikes differentiates Scolipede from Accelgor and gives the former a rather specific niche. Offensive teams that need Spikes support for its sweepers can depend on Scolipede to get at least one layer up—two with clever playing, and possibly even three. Scolipede can also hit Taunt users hard with STAB Megahorn. Toxic Spikes support is just as easy, though offensive teams may not need those entry hazards. If this is the case, you can use Rock Slide for additional coverage with Megahorn and Earthquake. These two moves are the best choices in slots three and four: Megahorn can OHKO all offensive Tyranitar variants, and it has a chance to OHKO defensive ones as well, and Earthquake provides coverage with Megahorn, hitting Steel-types such as Heatran. If Scolipede is using Toxic Spikes, Earthquake can be swapped out for Rock Slide, which covers the Flying-types that resist Megahorn.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is probably the best item as it allows Scolipede to net OHKOs on most Tyranitar variants. However, if you are leading with Scolipede, Focus Sash is an option to get at least one layer of Spikes on the field. The last item to be considered is Leftovers—this is somewhat ineffective though, since Scolipede isn't meant to tank multiple hits.</p>

<p>Pursuit is an option over Toxic Spikes, since with it Scolipede can trap Latios and Latias pretty well, dealing around 75% if they are switching. If no offensive presence is necessary, Scolipede can run 252 EVs in HP instead of Attack; however, this is a significant drop in power, as Scolipede will no longer be able to 2HKO Reuniclus. Speaking of the jelly, one of your own will benefit from Toxic Spikes, as Calm Mind variants in particular will be able to stall out Blissey and other special walls while boosting. Volcarona is another Pokemon that likes Scolipede, as Scolipede is able to soak up Toxic Spikes and provide either hazard to soften the opponent. Heatran is helpful in that it takes the Fire-type moves aimed at Scolipede and can set up Stealth Rock. Strong special attackers will also capitalize on the extra damage Spikes attains, leading to quicker KOs. Likewise, scouting Pokemon, such as U-turn Scizor, can force the necessary switches for Spikes to break apart the opponent's team.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Megahorn
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Baton Pass / Rock Slide
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a unique base 112 Speed and decent Attack, Scolipede can pull off a sweeping set. Swords Dance facilitates this sweep, doubling Scolipede's Attack. Megahorn is a great STAB move to have, giving Scolipede a way to hit hard without a boost. Earthquake is the best coverage move, hitting Steel-types such as Heatran and Magnezone super effectively. The last slot is a bit of a toss up. Baton Pass gives Scolipede utility, passing its boosts when it runs into a tough wall. However, Rock Slide gives a smidgen of extra coverage, hitting Volcarona in particular.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>X-Scissor is an option but should only be considered if you have severe accuracy headaches as it is much weaker and doesn't OHKO Latios, Latias, nor Tyranitar without a boost. If you have nothing to Baton Pass to, then Rock Slide should have the go-ahead in the final slot, hitting the aforementioned threats as well as Gengar, and breaking Air Balloon. However, it is generally a good idea to have offensive complements to Scolipede since it is rather frail and prone to revenge killing. Landorus, Terrakion, and physical Virizon are good recipients, as they can get past physical walls such as Gliscor after a boost.</p>

<p>Ferrothorn is a good partner for setting up Stealth Rock and Spikes to ease Scolipede's sweep while Scolipede also gains an opportunity to switch in on Fighting-type moves directed at Ferrothorn. A spinner is also a good partner for Scolipede as it is weak to Stealth Rock. Donphan in particular resists Rock-type moves and can provide Stealth Rock support. Starmie is another good spinner, complementing Scolipede's powerful physical attacks with its special ones.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>There are a few other options for Scolipede. One of them is the combination of Screech and Pursuit—Screech harshly lowers the opponent's Defense, coercing them to switch out, only to be caught by a more powerful Pursuit. However, the imperfect accuracy of Screech, popularity of priority attacks, and general slew of damage make this a gimmicky tactic for Scolipede to carry out. Substitute with the Swarm ability is another option, setting up Substitute to activate Swarm for an extra powerful Megahorn. However, a Scolipede with low HP means it will be defeated quickly, especially by priority moves. Finally, a full Baton Pass set is possible, but in that case, you are better off running a chain with better suited Pokemon.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Despite Megahorn's power, common physical walls such as Skarmory, Forretress, and Gliscor resist Bug and thus wall Scolipede very well. Fire-types are in the same boat—as long as they avoid Earthquake (or Rock Slide in Volcarona's case), they can KO Scolipede with their STAB moves. Sableye, while unable to switch directly in to Megahorn, can cripple Scolipede with Will-O-Wisp and proceed to stall it out. Faster Pokemon, namely Choice Scarf users, outspeed and take Scolipede down easily due to its low defenses: Rotom-W smacks it with a Hydro Pump or Thunderbolt, and Terrakion can OHKO with Stone Edge.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Quick Feet is not useful on Scolipede. It is already quite fast, and more importantly, it is immune to Poison. Thus it must be burned to activate the ability, which is awfully counterproductive considering Scolipede is a physical attacker.</p>​

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Life Orb may warrant a main slash on the Spiker set just because the power provided by boost is invaluable. Scolipede can then act as both an offensive Pokemon and a fast Spiker at once, similar to how Spikes + Three Attacks Deoxys-S worked at its final stretch. Additionally, I think there’s more valuable targets that are hit by Earthquake then Rock Slide (i.e. Heatran, Tentacruel, Ninetales).

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'd slash Leftovers over Life Orb however. Leftovers are more useful in the long run, and while LO lets you kill threats easier, Leftovers let you last for the long haul (it also helps weaken that SR weakness)

QC APPROVED (1/3)

Sayonara

don't forget
I'm seconding PK Gaming's suggestion of Leftovers over Life Orb. On the long run, it is a better item.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
what exaclty does poison point do for the spiker set? i'd imagine that swarm would be the better choice in this case to get a power boost on megahorn, thats what i always do.

and toxic poison>regular poison

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd slash Leftovers over Life Orb however. Leftovers are more useful in the long run, and while LO lets you kill threats easier, Leftovers let you last for the long haul (it also helps weaken that SR weakness)

QC APPROVED (1/3)
thanks for the check! Yeah, after playing with LO I can say it gets really annoying, especially with sandstorm and stuff.

what exaclty does poison point do for the spiker set? i'd imagine that swarm would be the better choice in this case to get a power boost on megahorn, thats what i always do.

and toxic poison>regular poison
This is true. Especially since Scolipede is fast, so it can actually pull off a Megahorn at low HP. And it probably doesn't want to take hits.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Scolipede isn't a great lead from when I was testing it for the original write-up, but there were craptons of cases where I managed to get 2 layers of Spikes, and a fast Megahorn activated by Swarm thanks to Focus Sash basically neutered one of the opposing Pokemon, meaning if it switched back into Spikes it would die. They took out Scolipede, but it was worth it in the end.

QC may disagree with me, but I think Focus Sash definitely deserves a slash, rather than a mention - Scolipede is fast and has little utility outside of its hazards, so you want to have it come in and set up as fast as possible, meaning this is likely a lead more than anything.

Also SubSwarm doesn't work. Scolipede is lolfrail. You use Substitute three times and trigger Swarm, sure, but if you don't kill them in that Megahorn (unlikely unless you're fighting Alakazam), then Scolipede is dying and your efforts will have been for naught. Unless you want to try sneaking in a Swords Dance in between Substitutes (leaving you with two attacks, what), then there is no way you are sneaking a KO from Swarm Megahorn with Substitute. Scolipede is not that strong. I've had worst-case scenarios where I Substitute, they switch, I go for a Megahorn, they survive and break the Substitute, I Sub, they set up. Megahorn doesn't 2HKO, I get swept.

Finally, the best partner I found for SD Scolipede was Gastrodon. Mainly, despite its ridiculous frailty, Scolipede could actually switch in on things like Shaymin and Celebi and lolMegahorn. The other great thing is, a lot of common switch-ins to Scolipede (Terrakion, Scizor, Landorus etc) are all owned by Gastrodon.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey.

Here are some changes I would like you to consider:

On the Support set:

• Mention that if the user does not require Toxic Spikes, he/she is completely free to replace it with Rock Slide for coverage. Since offensive types of teams are meant to be fast-paced, Scolipede and its teammates don't really have to mess around with poison.
  • Make Life Orb the main slash since the added offense is a pretty darn big deal
  • You may also mention using Pursuit in place of Toxic Spikes, since, despite its low base power with Scolipede, does a pretty darn good job at "trapping" targets. For instance, Latios is scared to death of Scolipede's faster Megahorn, and will therefore almost always switch out. Using a Life Orb-boosted Pursuit will deal 70.9% - 83.4%, which will finish off Latios with two switch-ins to Stealth Rock. Great utility right here.
  • Yeah Focus Sash can get a mention, but the slash is up to other QC members since I'm not really a fan of the item.
Swords Dance:

• Gastrodon doesn't really handle Terrakion, Scizor, or Landorus all that well. I'd settle for mentioning more physically defensive Pokemon that can take a few fast hits.
  • Flying-types such as Landorus (takes neutral from Rock Slide) are counters.
Other Options:

• Double Edge, if only for the redundant coverage and being a stronger option against certain targets.
  • Yeah SubSwarm can stay in AC, but be sure to state why users should stray away from it.
Make the changes you want (argue for the ones you don't), and a stamp may head your way.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
Made those changes, after some reconsideration I'm only going to have LO as the item; the ability to OHKO Tyranitar--most of them don't switch--is an immediate huge advantage, and fast Spikes means recovering HP isn't all to important.

Mention Landorus and Swords Dance Virizion as good recipients on the Baton Pass set. Other than that:

QC APPROVED 3/3

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
add/replace with
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>Scolipede possess overall mediocre stats bar a "selective" base 112 Speed, but such Speed is all it needs to function. With the departure of Deoxys-S, the position for a fast Spiker was vacant; candidates to fill this role are: Deoxys-D, Accelgor, and Scolipede. While each has its advantages, Scolipede boasts a STAB Megahorn, dealing massive amounts of damage to common Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Latios. Furthermore, it has a handy 4x Fighting resistance, among other small perks. These are just enough to justify Scolipede's role on a team, in a position you might otherwise want to use Scizor in.</p>

[SET]

Why this deserves to be on site

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Access to both Spikes and Toxic Spikes differentiates Scolipede from Accelgor and gives the former a rather specific niche. Offensive teams that need Spikes support for its sweepers can depend on Scolipede to get at least one layer up—two with clever playing, and maybe even three. Scolipede can also hit Taunt users hard with its STAB. Toxic Spikes support is just as easy, though offensive teams may not need those entry hazards. If this is the case, you can use Rock Slide for additional coverage with Megahorn and Earthquake. These two moves are the best choices in slots three and four: Megahorn can OHKO all offensive Tyranitar variants, and it has a chance to OHKO defensive ones as well. Earthquake provides coverage with Megahorn, hitting Steel-types such as Heatran. If Scolipede is using Toxic Spikes, Earthquake can be swapped out for Rock Slide, which covers the Flying-types that resist Megahorn.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is probably the best item since it surprisingly OHKOes most Tyranitar variants. unsuspectingly. However, if you are leading with Scolipede, Focus Sash is an option to at least get at least one layer of Spikes. The last item to be considered is Leftovers—this is somewhat ineffective though, since Scolipede isn't meant to tank multiple hits.</p>

<p>Pursuit is an option over Toxic Spikes, since with it Scolipede can trap Latios and Latias pretty well, dealing around 75% if they are switching. If no offensive presence is necessary, Scolipede can run 252 HP EVs insteaed of Attack; however, this is a significant drop in power, as Scolipede will no longer be able to 2HKO Reuniclus. Speaking of the jelly, one of your own will benefit from Toxic Spikes, Calm Mind variants in particular will be able to stall Blissey and other special walls out while boosting. Volcarona is another Pokemon that likes Scolipede, as Scolipede is able to soak up Toxic Spikes and provide either hazard to soften the opponent. Heatran is helpful in that it takes the Fire-type moves aimed at Scolipede and can set up Stealth Rock. Strong special attackers will also capitalize on the extra damage Spikes attains, leading to more KOs faster. Likewise, scouting Pokemon such as U-turn Scizor can force the necessary switches for Spikes to break apart the opponent's team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a unique base 112 Speed and decent Attack, Scolipede can pull off a sweeping set. Swords Dance facilitates this sweep, doubling Scolipede's Attack. Megahorn is a great STAB move to have, as it also gives Scolipede a way to hit hard without a boost. Earthquake is the best coverage move, hitting Steel-types such as Heatran and Magnezone super effectively. The last slot is a bit of a toss up. Baton Pass gives Scolipede utility, passing its boosts when it runs into a tough wall. However, Rock Slide gives a smidge of extra coverage, hitting Volcarona in particular.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>X-Scissor is an option, but should only be considered if you have severe accuracy headaches because it is much weaker and doesn't OHKO Latios, Latias, and Tyranitar without a boost. If you have nothing to Baton Pass to, then Rock Slide should have the go-ahead in the final slot, hitting the aforementioned threats as well as Gengar, and breaking Air Balloon. However, it is generally a good idea to have offensive complements to Scolipede since it is rather frail and prone to revenge killing. Landorus, Terrakion, and physical Virizon are good recipients, as they can get past physical walls such as Gliscor after a boost.</p>

<p>Ferrothorn is a good partner for setting up Stealth Rock and Spikes to ease Scolipede's sweep—Scolipede also gains an opportunity to switch in on Fighting-type moves directed at Ferrothorn. A spinner is also a good partner for Scolipede, since it is weak to Stealth Rock. Donphan in particular resists Rock-type moves and can provide Stealth Rock support. Starmie is another good spinner, complementing Scolipede's powerful physical attacks with its special ones.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>There are a few other options for Scolipede. One of them is the combination of Screech and Pursuit—Screech harshly lowers the opponent's Defense, coercing them to switch out, only to be caught by a more powerful Pursuit. However, the imperfect accuracy of Screech, priority attacks, and general slew of damage make this a gimmicky tactic for Scolipede to carry out. Substitute with the Swarm ability is another option, setting up Substitute to activate Swarm for an extra powerful Megahorn. However, a Scolipede with low HP means it will be defeated quickly, drawing priority moves especially. Finally, a full Baton Pass is possible, but in that case, you are better off running a chain with better suited Pokemon.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Despite Megahorn's power, common physical walls such as Skarmory, Forretress, and Gliscor resist Bug and thus wall Scolipede very well. Fire-types are in the same boat—as long as they avoid Earthquake (or Rock Slide in Volcarona's case), they can KO Scolipede with their STAB moves. Sableye, while unable to switch directly in to Megahorn, can cripple Scolipede with Will-O-Wisp and proceed to stall it out. Faster Pokemon, namely Choice Scarf users, outspeed and take Scolipede down easily due to its low defenses: Rotom-W smacks it with a Hydro Pump or Thunderbolt, and Terrakion can OHKO with Stone Edge. 80% of the time.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Quick Feet is not useful on Scolipede. It is already quite fast, and more importantly, it is immune to Poison. Thus it must be burned to activate the ability, which is awfully counterproductive considering Scolipede is a physical attacker.</p>

GP Approved (1/2)

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
no sirn go away this is mine

Scolipede flattens all enemies
(Scolipede wants more enemies to flatten)
(Has Scolipede told you how much it likes to flatten things?)

[Overview]

<p>Scolipede possess(es) overall mediocre stats bar a "selective" base 112 Speed, but such Speed is all it needs to function. With the departure of Deoxys-S, the position for a fast Spiker was vacant; (comma) (while) candidates to fill this role are (boil down to): Deoxys-D, Accelgor, and Scolipede. While each has its advantages, Scolipede boasts a STAB Megahorn, dealing massive amounts of damage to common Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Latios. Furthermore, it has a handy 4x (resistance to) Fighting resistance, among other small perks. These are just enough to justify Scolipede's role on a team in a position you might otherwise want to use Scizor in.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Access to both Spikes and Toxic Spikes differentiates Scolipede from Accelgor and gives the former a rather specific niche. Offensive teams that need Spikes support for its sweepers can depend on Scolipede to get at least one layer up—two with clever playing, and maybe (possibly) even three. Scolipede can also hit Taunt users hard with its STAB (Megahorn). Toxic Spikes support is just as easy, though offensive teams may not need those entry hazards. If this is the case, you can use Rock Slide for additional coverage with Megahorn and Earthquake. These two moves are the best choices in slots three and four: Megahorn can OHKO all offensive Tyranitar variants, and it has a chance to OHKO defensive ones as well. (comma) (and) Earthquake provides coverage with Megahorn, hitting Steel-types such as Heatran. If Scolipede is using Toxic Spikes, Earthquake can be swapped out for Rock Slide, which covers the Flying-types that resist Megahorn.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is probably the best item since it surprisingly OHKOes (as it allows Scolipede to net OHKOs on) most Tyranitar variants. However, if you are leading with Scolipede, Focus Sash is an option to at least get at least one layer of Spikes (on the field). The last item to be considered is Leftovers—this is somewhat ineffective though, since Scolipede isn't meant to tank multiple hits.</p>

<p>Pursuit is an option over Toxic Spikes, since with it Scolipede can trap Latios and Latias pretty well, dealing around 75% if they are switching. If no offensive presence is necessary, Scolipede can run 252 HP EVs (in HP) insteaed of Attack; however, this is a significant drop in power, as Scolipede will no longer be able to 2HKO Reuniclus. Speaking of the jelly, one of your own will benefit from Toxic Spikes, (as) Calm Mind variants in particular will be able to stall (out) Blissey and other special walls out while boosting. Volcarona is another Pokemon that likes Scolipede, as Scolipede is able to soak up Toxic Spikes and provide either hazard to soften the opponent. Heatran is helpful in that it takes the Fire-type moves aimed at Scolipede and can set up Stealth Rock. Strong special attackers will also capitalize on the extra damage Spikes attains, leading to more (quicker) KOs faster. Likewise, scouting Pokemon (comma) such as U-turn Scizor (comma) can force the necessary switches for Spikes to break apart the opponent's team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a unique base 112 Speed and decent Attack, Scolipede can pull off a sweeping set. Swords Dance facilitates this sweep, doubling Scolipede's Attack. Megahorn is a great STAB move to have, as it gives (giving) Scolipede a way to hit hard without a boost. Earthquake is the best coverage move, hitting Steel-types such as Heatran and Magnezone super effectively. The last slot is a bit of a toss up. Baton Pass gives Scolipede utility, passing its boosts when it runs into a tough wall. However, Rock Slide gives a smidge(n) of extra coverage, hitting Volcarona in particular.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>X-Scissor is an option but should only be considered if you have severe accuracy headaches because (as) it is much weaker and doesn't OHKO Latios, Latias, and (nor) Tyranitar without a boost. If you have nothing to Baton Pass to, then Rock Slide should have the go-ahead in the final slot, hitting the aforementioned threats as well as Gengar, and breaking Air Balloon. However, it is generally a good idea to have offensive complements to Scolipede since it is rather frail and prone to revenge killing. Landorus, Terrakion, and physical Virizon are good recipients, as they can get past physical walls such as Gliscor after a boost.</p>

<p>Ferrothorn is a good partner for setting up Stealth Rock and Spikes to ease Scolipede's sweep(while) Scolipede also gains an opportunity to switch in on Fighting-type moves directed at Ferrothorn. A spinner is also a good partner for Scolipede, since (as) it is weak to Stealth Rock. Donphan in particular resists Rock-type moves and can provide Stealth Rock support. Starmie is another good spinner, complementing Scolipede's powerful physical attacks with its special ones.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>There are a few other options for Scolipede. One of them is the combination of Screech and Pursuit—Screech harshly lowers the opponent's Defense, coercing them to switch out, only to be caught by a more powerful Pursuit. However, the imperfect accuracy of Screech, (popularity of) priority attacks, and general slew of damage make this a gimmicky tactic for Scolipede to carry out. Substitute with the Swarm ability is another option, setting up Substitute to activate Swarm for an extra powerful Megahorn. However, a Scolipede with low HP means it will be defeated quickly, drawing (especially by) priority moves especially. Finally, a full Baton Pass (set) is possible, but in that case, you are better off running a chain with better suited Pokemon.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Despite Megahorn's power, common physical walls such as Skarmory, Forretress, and Gliscor resist Bug and thus wall Scolipede very well. Fire-types are in the same boat—as long as they avoid Earthquake (or Rock Slide in Volcarona's case), they can KO Scolipede with their STAB moves. Sableye, while unable to switch directly in to Megahorn, can cripple Scolipede with Will-O-Wisp and proceed to stall it out. Faster Pokemon, namely Choice Scarf users, outspeed and take Scolipede down easily due to its low defenses: Rotom-W smacks it with a Hydro Pump or Thunderbolt, and Terrakion can OHKO with Stone Edge.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Quick Feet is not useful on Scolipede. It is already quite fast, and more importantly, it is immune to Poison. Thus it must be burned to activate the ability, which is awfully counterproductive considering Scolipede is a physical attacker.</p>​

[Overview]

<p>Scolipede possesses overall mediocre stats bar a "selective" base 112 Speed, but such Speed is all it needs to function. With the departure of Deoxys-S, the position for a fast Spiker was vacant, while candidates to fill this role boil down to Deoxys-D, Accelgor, and Scolipede. While each has its advantages, Scolipede boasts a STAB Megahorn, dealing massive amounts of damage to common Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Latios. Furthermore, it has a handy 4x resistance to Fighting, among other small perks. These are just enough to justify Scolipede's role on a team in a position you might otherwise want to use Scizor in.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Access to both Spikes and Toxic Spikes differentiates Scolipede from Accelgor and gives the former a rather specific niche. Offensive teams that need Spikes support for its sweepers can depend on Scolipede to get at least one layer up—two with clever playing, and possibly even three. Scolipede can also hit Taunt users hard with STAB Megahorn. Toxic Spikes support is just as easy, though offensive teams may not need those entry hazards. If this is the case, you can use Rock Slide for additional coverage with Megahorn and Earthquake. These two moves are the best choices in slots three and four: Megahorn can OHKO all offensive Tyranitar variants, and it has a chance to OHKO defensive ones as well, and Earthquake provides coverage with Megahorn, hitting Steel-types such as Heatran. If Scolipede is using Toxic Spikes, Earthquake can be swapped out for Rock Slide, which covers the Flying-types that resist Megahorn.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb is probably the best item as it allows Scolipede to net OHKOs on most Tyranitar variants. However, if you are leading with Scolipede, Focus Sash is an option to get at least one layer of Spikes on the field. The last item to be considered is Leftovers—this is somewhat ineffective though, since Scolipede isn't meant to tank multiple hits.</p>

<p>Pursuit is an option over Toxic Spikes, since with it Scolipede can trap Latios and Latias pretty well, dealing around 75% if they are switching. If no offensive presence is necessary, Scolipede can run 252 EVs in HP instead of Attack; however, this is a significant drop in power, as Scolipede will no longer be able to 2HKO Reuniclus. Speaking of the jelly, one of your own will benefit from Toxic Spikes, as Calm Mind variants in particular will be able to stall out Blissey and other special walls while boosting. Volcarona is another Pokemon that likes Scolipede, as Scolipede is able to soak up Toxic Spikes and provide either hazard to soften the opponent. Heatran is helpful in that it takes the Fire-type moves aimed at Scolipede and can set up Stealth Rock. Strong special attackers will also capitalize on the extra damage Spikes attains, leading to quicker KOs. Likewise, scouting Pokemon, such as U-turn Scizor, can force the necessary switches for Spikes to break apart the opponent's team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With a unique base 112 Speed and decent Attack, Scolipede can pull off a sweeping set. Swords Dance facilitates this sweep, doubling Scolipede's Attack. Megahorn is a great STAB move to have, giving Scolipede a way to hit hard without a boost. Earthquake is the best coverage move, hitting Steel-types such as Heatran and Magnezone super effectively. The last slot is a bit of a toss up. Baton Pass gives Scolipede utility, passing its boosts when it runs into a tough wall. However, Rock Slide gives a smidgen of extra coverage, hitting Volcarona in particular.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>X-Scissor is an option but should only be considered if you have severe accuracy headaches as it is much weaker and doesn't OHKO Latios, Latias, nor Tyranitar without a boost. If you have nothing to Baton Pass to, then Rock Slide should have the go-ahead in the final slot, hitting the aforementioned threats as well as Gengar, and breaking Air Balloon. However, it is generally a good idea to have offensive complements to Scolipede since it is rather frail and prone to revenge killing. Landorus, Terrakion, and physical Virizon are good recipients, as they can get past physical walls such as Gliscor after a boost.</p>

<p>Ferrothorn is a good partner for setting up Stealth Rock and Spikes to ease Scolipede's sweep while Scolipede also gains an opportunity to switch in on Fighting-type moves directed at Ferrothorn. A spinner is also a good partner for Scolipede as it is weak to Stealth Rock. Donphan in particular resists Rock-type moves and can provide Stealth Rock support. Starmie is another good spinner, complementing Scolipede's powerful physical attacks with its special ones.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>There are a few other options for Scolipede. One of them is the combination of Screech and Pursuit—Screech harshly lowers the opponent's Defense, coercing them to switch out, only to be caught by a more powerful Pursuit. However, the imperfect accuracy of Screech, popularity of priority attacks, and general slew of damage make this a gimmicky tactic for Scolipede to carry out. Substitute with the Swarm ability is another option, setting up Substitute to activate Swarm for an extra powerful Megahorn. However, a Scolipede with low HP means it will be defeated quickly, especially by priority moves. Finally, a full Baton Pass set is possible, but in that case, you are better off running a chain with better suited Pokemon.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

[Dream World]

GP (2/2)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)