np: NU Stage 1 - Welcome to Heartbreak

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hi there.

First, I'd like to extend my middle finger to RU in general, for taking all the good Spikers, Spinners, Bulky Water-types, and Steel-types and giving us... Victreebel. In case you missed it, we lost Dugtrio (to OU), Magneton, Rhydon, Lanturn, Slowking, Smeargle, Scolipede, Klinklang, Druddigon, and Roselia.

So now where do we go from here? Swellow and Braviary somehow managed to stay NU, along with Magmortar, Mesprit and Gorebyss. We know that spikestacking got a lot harder with basically every good spiker gone, leaving things like Garbador, Whirlipede, and Glalie to pick up the slack. We also know that the best bulky Water-types are now Quagsire, Alomamola, and Lapras. Camerupt becomes the most reliable Magmortar check, while Regirock is the best at taking on the birds.

What does this all mean? Who knows. But this thread marks the true beginning of the NU tier. Welcome to Heartbreak.

breh

強いだね
tennisace cacturne is a good spiker ;_;

anyway, rain is going to be fun. literally no checks exist to gorebyss in rain at +2 bar water absorb quag (HP rock) and Jynx (HP grass).

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well written Tennis, RU has stolen almost all the big threats
Gorebyss and Huntail are going to run rampant in the tier, now that more bulky waters have gone, there's nothing stopping them apart from a few niche counters (Regice, but seriously, who uses Regice?)

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wooh regirock is gonna be useful :D I think niche checks are gonna start popping up to gorebyss, like type rresist berries, as I reall cant thnk what checks him apart from sheddy. Rotom-s is gonna get a hell of a lotta more usage, while rotom-f is gonna die :(
Not sure how tha meta is gonna turn out, but hopefully it'll be fun, as fun as before tonight :)

gorebyss and the birds in general are going to be A TOTAL FUCKING BITCH to handle this stage.

17:46:32] * Now talking in #rarelyused
[17:46:32] * Topic is 'Cresselia is a (BAN ME PLEASE) space duck.'
[17:46:32] * Set by Nails on Fri Dec 30 19:19:28
[17:46:40] <+Zebraiken> seriously molk >:(
[17:46:44] <steamroll> Thanks for stealing 10 of our mons!
[17:46:49] * steamroll flips RU off

pretty much sums up what I thought about the whole ordeal...

breh

強いだね
to those saying regice: 252/252 + regice has a shot at being OHKOed by White Herb +2 Modest Gorebyss Rain Hydro Pump with rocks. LO is a surefire KO with them.

Firstly, I'm predicting, if we're gonna start suspect testing for NU [I heard rumors that we would after the teir shifts, and being Stage 1 now...], that Magmortar and Gorybass are not long for this teir with Slowking gone.

Also, with Klingklang gone, Altaria just lost a check. Very few things in the teir can take +1 LO Outrages from Altaria comfortably. Pretty much everything is 2HKO'ed unless it's something like Regirock.

The 'good' [I use the term loosely] spikers going is like another kick in the teeth to NU stall. As if it needed another.

Time to use Sunny Day+Taunt+Haze Murkrow to run a Sun Offense team. :)

Tangela is still one of the best eviolite walls in existence (only takes 66% max from swellow's guts-boosted BB), Victreebel, Exeggutor, and Shiftry are still strong, Snover is still gone, nothing else will really run priority rain dance besides opposing murkrow, etc.

Defensively, Swellow and Braviary are still manageable, but we'll see people craft pokemon to those ends rather than using standardized counters.

The full list of remaining NU spikers is so depressing ._.

Whirlipede
Cacturne
Garbodor
Glalie
Maractus
Pineco
Omanyte
Budew
Dwebble
Shelmet

I think Garbodor might be the best bet... he has passable bulk and can lay toxic spikes too if you're into that. Weak Armor can be kind of fun on a spiker too because you can tank a hit, drop a layer, then gain a speed boost and throw up another layer before dying. Not reliable though.

I can't believe Roselia rose to RU, I didn't even know anyone aside from me was using it.

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
NU stall just got completely destroyed. I think this stage will end fairly early because it'll be pretty obvious what is broken and what is not. People are already making predictions, but I think the ladder will speak for itself.

Over the next round I see Hyper Offense, Sun Offense, and Rain Offense taking a huge jump in usage.
With a lack of good Spikers, damaging auto-weather, and good defensive 'mons in general, it's going to take a smart player to set up a viable defensive team this round.

Whats the hate with Cacturne? Have you seen this thing behind a Sub?

Gorebyss? Yea, its probably broken. Hopefully Sun will rise with Victreebel and weaken it but still...

I really hope people don't catch on that an offensive core of Gorebyss + Swellow + Sawk is going to be so amazing its not even funny (whoops).

Magmortar being broken? I wouldn't count on it, like tennis said, we got Camerupt, as well as Altaria.

EDIT: Oh yea, Quick Attack Swellow. Use it. I HATE being forever alone on this.

canno

formerly The Reptile
^ What Legitimacy said. It's pretty clear what's going to be OP and what's not simply due to the fact that we only got one pokemon, and lost a bunch of counters to big threats, but most of the big threats stayed, namely Swellow, Gorebyss, Magmortar, Mesprit. Not saying all of these are broken, but they will be significantly more powerful.

One thing that I almost instantly suspect to be broken without even playing is Gorebyss. After a Shell Smash, she becomes a monster, and after our top bulky water-type pokemon left, not much can stop her, and what can gets wrecked by Scarf Sawk.

Gorebyss carries HP Grass, absolutely nothing is safe (not even quaggy :s).

I expect very high usage of Regirock due to Swellow but as other people have said, you basically have to prepare beyond that for a pretty much guaranteed Sawk switch in.

The lack of hazards set up is just horrible for this tier, probably going to forgo spikes and tspikes and just go for rocks via probopass or something. I hope Eelektross can find a good niche in this mess without the entire meta being Swellow, Sawk, Gorebyss, spike/tspiker, filler.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Jynx is gonna be very useful this stage, (it was already good last stage as i could see) to deal with bulky waters.

Also, Samurott is a really underrated physical sweeper, it was good too on last stage and it will probably be too in this. Though i lose my offensive core of Klinklang+Samurott+Camerupt (that sucks but we all will miss klinklang probably)... Any thoughts to fill klinklang's role?

PS: it sucks that smogon server is down :(

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i thought of a nifty little surprise that just might be viable.....

offensive murkrow doesnt sound too bad, 85/85/91 offenses are pretty good, it has STAB BB, stronger priority than quick attack and can feasibly hit golem with Hp grass.

i tried it in initial NU and it almost always got a kill or two to sheer surprise value lol

breh

強いだね
offensive murkrow is not bad per se, just kind of... meh. murkrow has a niche - priority weather setting, hazing, taunting, etc. using offensive kind of kills that; the fact that swellow does a lot of things better doesn't help.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
offensive murkrow is not bad per se, just kind of... meh. murkrow has a niche - priority weather setting, hazing, taunting, etc. using offensive kind of kills that; the fact that swellow does a lot of things better doesn't help.
i know swellow does some things better but this list of things makes murkrow kinda different

1: more power right off the bat

2: dark STAB

3: good Spa to hit golem with

4: still can prankster taunt in the last slot as it no longer needs heat wave

i might test it more, dont know how it will do, but it may be fun

Whats the hate with Cacturne? Have you seen this thing behind a Sub?

Gorebyss? Yea, its probably broken. Hopefully Sun will rise with Victreebel and weaken it but still...

I really hope people don't catch on that an offensive core of Gorebyss + Swellow + Sawk is going to be so amazing its not even funny (whoops).

Magmortar being broken? I wouldn't count on it, like tennis said, we got Camerupt, as well as Altaria.

EDIT: Oh yea, Quick Attack Swellow. Use it. I HATE being forever alone on this.
I wouldn't call Altaria a sure counter as with Slowking and Lanturn gone I imagine LO Magmortar is going to start taking HP Ice instead of Grass

I wouldn't call Altaria a sure counter as with Slowking and Lanturn gone I imagine LO Magmortar is going to start taking HP Ice instead of Grass
Well then Quaggy just takes his fat ass and laughs at you. The trouble with Magmortar is that its either/or 100% of the time.

Gorebyss should be huge! I don't think there's much of anything outspeeding it, let alone surviving a boosted attack (spikes would make this so much better though 9.9). Going atm to make a team centered around the most broken threats! lol but seriously this is going to be a whole new playing field.

Gorebyss should be huge! I don't think there's much of anything outspeeding it, let alone surviving a boosted attack (spikes would make this so much better though 9.9). Going atm to make a team centered around the most broken threats! lol but seriously this is going to be a whole new playing field.
I am really really not looking forward to the amount of Gorebyss abuse I'm going to see, overall I'm glad a bunch of the threats moved.

Rhydon in particular seemed very unnecessary though, Roselia is a bit of a kick in the teeth as well with Scoliopede gone.

Given the usage statistics (even in RU) it seems to me that Mespirit should have gone. Not that I harbour a particular hatred for it, but it has been consistently used and sees use in RU as a pseudo-Azelf.

Gorebyss + Huntail Core anyone? Btw we have to acknowledge both of them if we want to ban, because banning just gorebyss leaves huntail to cause hell for another round.

canno

formerly The Reptile
^ might as well mention Carracosta then, since he also gets Shell Smash and hits harder and is more bulky then Huntail, not to mention with Sturdy, he will always get a Shell Smash off unless he's Taunted.

The center of the abuse for all three of those (and even the insanely powerful Clamperl) is Shell Smash - sometimes you have to wonder if that move itself could just be gotten rid of in a single swoop to get rid of it.

But anyways there's still one round yet to run a Carracosta / Gorebyss / Huntail core!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)