Wartortle [QC 3/3] [GP 1/2]

[Overview]

<p> As Blastoise has ascended into UU, the RU community has turned its attention to Wartortle. Although disregarded by much of the tier, Wartortle can hold its own in battle. Despite the lack of an offensive presence, Wartortle can use Rapid Spin quite effectively. Although many claim Wartortle does not possess the required bulk, it can indeed become a formidable opponent when combined with Eviolite. With respectable bulk, good typing, and a decent movepool, Wartortle is ready to take on the world. </p>

[SET]
name: Spinning Support
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Foresight
move 3: Scald
move 4: Yawn / Ice Beam
item: Eviolite
ability: Torrent / Rain Dish
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is undoubtedly Wartortle's best attempt at making up for Blastoise's absence. With Foresight, Wartortle can take down spinblockers that would otherwise prevent Rapid Spin. Scald aids in taking down physical sweepers with a possibility of burning them, as well as providing decent STAB coverage. If you want a safer, more stall-like set, then utilizing Yawn as a way to put your opponents to sleep is a good choice; this will often force opponents to switch out, making it a very good idea to use entry hazards. If you desire a more offensive approach, then use Ice Beam instead for fantastic coverage. With an EV spread that maximizes physical bulk, Wartortle will be taking more hits than you would think.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Wartortle functions most affectively with a physically defensive due to the popularity of predominantly physical types such as Fighting-types. If you’re using Wartortle on a rain team, you should use Rain Dish as a makeshift Leftovers. If not, Torrent shall suffice. Using a Bold nature capitalizes on its physical bulk, but a Modest nature has the potential to generate a slightly more noticeable offensive presence. Wartortle works much better with various support options such as Wish support from Pokemon such as Clefable or Leafeon. Entry hazards, as mentioned before, help deal additional damage when foes are forced to switch out. Pokemon with the abilities Sap Sipper and Volt Absorb help defensively, as they can utilize Wartortle's weaknesses to their advantage. Pokemon such as Ferroseed and Tangrowth also help defensively, as they can switch into Electric and Grass-type attacks aimed. It's also easier to have Pokemon that normally suffer from a Stealth Rock weakness such as Charizard and Syther, as Wartortle can eliminate the threat of Stealth Rock and help maximize the durability of these teammates.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Wartortle's movepool and stats limit what it can pull off effectively. However, Wartortle has been gifted with several usable moves. Toxic fits well with a stalling approach, as it will wear down and take out nemies. Iron Defense, along with the combination of Aqua Ring and Leftovers, hint at the stalling tactic yet again. Although Wartortle possesses a plethora of stalling moves, its HP does not suit a stalling set. Aqua Jet and Fake Out serve as priority attacks, and Haze can be used to stop boosters in their tracks. These moves are Wartortle’s only other viable tactics in battle.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bulky Water-types such as Poliwrath and Walrein take very little damage from Wartortle's attacks, and can strike back with incredible force. Grass-types such as Ferroseed and Sceptile wall the blue tortoise and can retaliate with super effective STAB attacks. Electric-types such as Galvantula, Manetric, and Electivire may not be able to wall Wartortle, but can attack hard and fast with super effective STAB moves.</p>

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You should mention Pokemon that can switch into Wartortle's weaknesses, such as Ferroseed. Furthermore, Wish support should be mentioned, and possibly something about Dark-types that can remove Ghost-types that block Rapid Spin. There's no point in listing the ability, just mention them both in Additional Comments. Hidden Power Grass should be mentioned somewhere to hit opposing Water-types. Additional comments should suffice. In my opinion, Yawn should definitely get a slash with Ice Beam. If the opponent switches in a counter, they have a choice of KOing you and falling asleep, or switching out. It works great with Stealth Rock and Spikes support. I could probably mention more, but this is all I can see off the top of my head.

You should mention Pokemon that can switch into Wartortle's weaknesses, such as Ferroseed. Furthermore, Wish support should be mentioned, and possibly something about Dark-types that can remove Ghost-types that block Rapid Spin. There's no point in listing the ability, just mention them both in Additional Comments. Hidden Power Grass should be mentioned somewhere to hit opposing Water-types. Additional comments should suffice. In my opinion, Yawn should definitely get a slash with Ice Beam. If the opponent switches in a counter, they have a choice of KOing you and falling asleep, or switching out. It works great with Stealth Rock and Spikes support. I could probably mention more, but this is all I can see off the top of my head.
Just with dark types, they are unnecessary because wartortle carries foresight.
Everything else will take some time but I will add.

Ok will mention darks...
Thanks flareblitzle I had a feeling I was wrong.

Komodo thanks for fixing the font, it always gets all screwed up when I copy it from a word document. I had to spend 10 minutes deleting this crap that said [FONT/:TIMES NEW ROMAN FONT/:]

Not sure why it did that....

Why are you running Ice Beam on this ?
Wartortle is weak, you don't even 2HKO uninvested Sceptile with it, so really, you might as well not bother using it on Eviolite Roselia and bulky Altaria. You should move Ice Beam to Other Options and use Toxic / Yawn for your 4rth slot, both have way more uses than Ice Beam.
Mention Rest in AC, it can be quite effective with Heal Bell support.

Why are you running Ice Beam on this ?
Wartortle is weak, you don't even 2HKO uninvested Sceptile with it, so really, you might as well not bother using it on Eviolite Roselia and bulky Altaria. You should move Ice Beam to Other Options and use Toxic / Yawn for your 4rth slot, both have way more uses than Ice Beam.
Mention Rest in AC, it can be quite effective with Heal Bell support.
Yeah, you're probably right, when I used ice beam it worked OK, but...yeah.
I kinda walked away from toxic because wartortle doesn't have the HP to really stall, and it's only recovery is rest. But I think I will slash yawn and ice beam, and throw toxic into AC with rest.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Wow I could have sworn I posted in this thread.

Anywho, slash Yawn with Ice Beam and de-slash Surf (its useless on something as weak as Watortle)

QC APPROVED (1/3)

Holy shit thanks guys, will get changes done as soon as I can, I have a very busy schedule.

Might be able to get some work done tommorow.

Thanks again, and Texas Cloverleaf, lol not sure why I put choice on there...

Uhh also PK gaming what did you edit in the skeleton? Just curious.

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You're missing a lot of information in the Additional Comments setction. Add information about Wish support from Clefable or Leafeon. Wartortle may be bulky, but it hasn't got any recovery outside of Rest. Also, mention Pokemon that can switch into Grass- and Electric-types. Volt Absorbers/Sap Sipper Pokemon are good, as well as Grass-types, Gligar, Galvantula, and more. Pokemon that benefit from entry hazards being removed are good too; think of Pokemon such as Moltres and Scyther, Flying-types, Fire-types, Mandibuzz, Charizard, the list goes on. Furthermore, you should mention that Yawn forces a lot of switches, so entry hazards of your own are recommeneded.

You're missing a lot of information in the Additional Comments setction. Add information about Wish support from Clefable or Leafeon. Wartortle may be bulky, but it hasn't got any recovery outside of Rest. Also, mention Pokemon that can switch into Grass- and Electric-types. Volt Absorbers/Sap Sipper Pokemon are good, as well as Grass-types, Gligar, Galvantula, and more. Pokemon that benefit from entry hazards being removed are good too; think of Pokemon such as Moltres and Scyther, Flying-types, Fire-types, Mandibuzz, Charizard, the list goes on. Furthermore, you should mention that Yawn forces a lot of switches, so entry hazards of your own are recommeneded.
Uh.. Okay, can you GP it when I'm done?

Add/Edit
Remove
Comments

[Overview]

<p> After Blastoise marched into UU with pride, the RU community turned its attention to Wartortle. Although disregarded by much of the tier, Wartortle can hold its own in battle. Despite the lack of an offensive presence, Wartortle can use Rapid Spin to a powerful extent quite effectively. Although many claim Wartorlte does not posses the required bulk, it can indeed become a formidable opponent when combined with Eviolite. With respectable bulk, good typing, and a decent movepool, Wartortle is ready to take on the world. </p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is undoubtedly Wartortle'{Comma}s best attempt at honoring making up for Blastoise'{Comma}s presence absence. With Foresight in your its grasp, you Wartortle can take down Spinblockers that would otherwise destroy Wartortle it. Scald aids in taking down physical sweepers with a possibility of burning them, as well as providing decent STAB coverage. If you want a safer, more stall-type set, then it would be smarter to utilize Yawn as a way to put your opponents to sleep,;{Semicolon} which will often force opponents to switch out, making it a very good idea to use entry hazards. If you desire a more offensive approach, then equip Ice Beam for fantastic coverage. With an EV spread that maximizes physical bulk, you’ll Wartortle will be taking more hits than you would think. </p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p> Wartortle could can also function with a more specially defensive set with 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 SpD, but it’s really much better recommended to go physical due to the popularity of predominantly physical types such as Fighting-types. If you’re using Wartortle on a Rain- (delete space)based team, then you should use Rain Dish as a makeshift Leftovers. If not, Torrent shall suffice. Wartortle’s Bold nature capitalizes on it’s physical bulk, while Modest could generate a slightly more noticeable offensive presence. Wartortle is works much better with various support options such as Wish support from Pokemon like such as Clefable or Leafeon. Entry Hazards, as mentioned before, help deal additional damage when foes are forced to switch out. Pokemon with the abilities Sap Sipper and Volt Absorb help defensively, as they can utilize Wartortle's weaknesses to their advantage. Pokemon such as Ferroseed and Tangrowth also help defensively (mention why [perhaps mention how they can sponge grass- and electric-type attacks aimed at Wartortle and set up the hazards which Wartortle can take advantage of with yawn] ). It's also a good idea to carry easier to have Pokemon that normally suffer from a Stealth Rock weakness such as Charizard and Syther.; {Semicolon} as Wartortle can eliminate the threat of Stealth Rock and help maximize the durability of these teammates.</p>

[Other Options]

<p> Wartortle'{Comma}s movepool and stats distribution only allow it to function as a Spinner limit what it can pull off effectively. However, Wartortle has been gifted with several other useable moves. Toxic hints at the stall-type approach, and will wear out and take down enemies. Iron Defense, along with the combination of Aqua Ring and Leftovers, hint at the stalling tactic yet again. Aqua Jet and Fake Out serve as priority attacks, and Haze can be used to stop boosters in their tracks. These moves are Wartortle’s only other viable tactics in battle. </p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p> Bulky waters such as Poliwrath and Walrein take very little damage from Wartortle'{Comma}s attacks, and can strike back with incredible force. Grass-types such as Ferroseed and Sceptile wall the blue tortoise, and can hit hard retaliate with super effective STAB attacks. Electric-types that include the likes of such as Galvantula, Manetric, and Electivire may not be able to wall Wartortle, but can attack hard and fast with super effective STAB moves. </p>

You were using the wrong comma.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Working on top of Evire's check.

remove add
comments other

[Overview]

<p><space>After Blastoise marched into UU with pride, the RU community turned its attention to Wartortle. As Blastoise has ascended into UU, the RU community has turned its attention to Wartortle. Although disregarded by much of the tier, Wartortle can hold its own in battle. Despite the lack of an offensive presence, Wartortle can use Rapid Spin quite effectively. Although many claim Wartortle does not possess the required bulk, it can indeed become a formidable opponent when combined with Eviolite. With respectable bulk, good typing, and a decent movepool, Wartortle is ready to take on the world. </p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is undoubtedly Wartortle's best attempt at making up for Blastoise's absence. With Foresight in its grasp, Wartortle can take down spinblockers that would otherwise destroy wall ("wall" might not be the best word, but how does Foresight prevent spinblockers from destroying Wartortle? It's not like Rapid Spin is doing much damage) it. Scald aids in taking down physical sweepers with a possibility of burning them, as well as providing decent STAB coverage. If you want a safer, more stall-type stall-like set, then it would be smarter to utilize Yawn utilizing Yawn as a way to put your opponents to sleep is a good choice; which this will often force opponents to switch out, making it a very good idea to use entry hazards. If you desire a more offensive approach, then equip use Ice Beam instead for fantastic coverage. With an EV spread that maximizes physical bulk, Wartortle will be taking more hits than you would think.<space></p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p><space>Wartortle can also function with a more specially defensive set with that runs an EV spread of 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 SpD, but it’s recommended to go physical due to the popularity of predominantly physical types such as Fighting-types (why 252 / 224 / 32?). If you’re using Wartortle on a Rain-based rain team, you should use Rain Dish as a makeshift Leftovers. If not, Torrent shall suffice. Wartortle’s Using a Bold nature capitalizes on it’s its physical bulk, while but a Modest could nature has the potential to generate a slightly more noticeable offensive presence. Wartortle works much better with various support options such as Wish support from Pokemon such as Clefable or Leafeon. Entry Hazards hazards, as mentioned before, help deal additional damage when foes are forced to switch out. Pokemon with the abilities Sap Sipper and Volt Absorb help defensively, as they can utilize Wartortle's weaknesses to their advantage. Pokemon such as Ferroseed and Tangrowth also help defensively (how?). It's also easier to have Pokemon that normally suffer from a Stealth Rock weakness such as Charizard and Syther;, as Wartortle can eliminate the threat of Stealth Rock and help maximize the durability of these teammates.</p>

[Other Options]

<p><space>Wartortle's movepool and stats limit what it can pull off effectively. However, Wartortle has been gifted with several usable moves. Toxic hints at the stall-type fits well with a stalling approach, and as it will wear down out and take out down enemies. Iron Defense, along with the combination of Aqua Ring and Leftovers, hint at the stalling tactic yet again. Aqua Jet and Fake Out serve as priority attacks, and Haze can be used to stop boosters in their tracks. These moves are Wartortle’s only other viable tactics in battle.<space></p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p><space>Bulky waters Water-types such as Poliwrath and Walrein take very little damage from Wartortle's attacks, and can strike back with incredible force. Grass-types such as Ferroseed and Sceptile wall the blue tortoise, and can retaliate with super effective STAB attacks. Electric-types such as Galvantula, Manetric, and Electivire may not be able to wall Wartortle, but can attack hard and fast with super effective STAB moves.<space></p>

GP [1/2]

Elaborate more in general. Why are the moves in OO inferior to the ones listed? Why the EV spread? How does this teammate help Wartortle? Also, being more specific in CnC might help; is there a notable Grass- or Electric-type Pokemon for checking Wartortle?

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi there! Unfortunately, though they have been added to, I don't believe your Other Options / Checks and Counters sections are developed thoroughly enough to merit the second check on this.

I would recommend re-reading Engineer Pikachu's check and considering the comments he left for you inside of it, as well as this at the bottom:

Elaborate more in general. Why are the moves in OO inferior to the ones listed? Why the EV spread? How does this teammate help Wartortle? Also, being more specific in CnC might help; is there a notable Grass- or Electric-type Pokemon for checking Wartortle?
There have been little to no changes made involving these very good points that Engi made, which is a major hindrance to the possibility of this getting checked again. If you're struggling for content, you could always check the NU Wartortle analysis that is already on-site! Of course, as this is a different tier, the sections will be different, but the point is that those sections will give you a good idea as to what way to approach beefing up the sections in question.

Please don't hesitate to contact me or another member of GP if you have questions or concerns about the state of this analysis! Upon the improvement of these sections, please notify GP and we'll get this checked so it can go on-site. Thanks!

Thank you mafeking, I have made changes to my analysis, are these ok?
Referring to engineer's questions

Moves in OO are no good because they are stalling moves and wartortle doesn't have the HP to stall. The priority moves listed are for an offensive based set, which wartortle can't do.

The other ev spread, I eliminated. It was awful.

And I was specific in C and C. I mentioned sceptile, galvantula, and more.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
amateur check
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS3

[Overview]

<p> As Blastoise has ascended into UU, the RU community has turned its attention to Wartortle. Although disregarded by much of the tier, Wartortle can hold its own in battle. Despite the lack of an offensive presence, Wartortle can use Rapid Spin quite effectively. Although many claim Wartortle does not possess the required bulk, it can indeed become a formidable opponent when combined with Eviolite. With respectable bulk, good typing, and a decent movepool, Wartortle is ready to take on the world. </p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is undoubtedly Wartortle's best attempt at making up for Blastoise's absence. With Foresight, Wartortle can take down spinblockers that would otherwise prevent Rapid Spin. Scald aids in taking down physical sweepers with a possibility of burning them, as well as providing decent STAB coverage. If you want a safer, more stall-like set, then utilizing Yawn as a way to put your opponents to sleep is a good choice; this will often force opponents to switch out, making it a very good idea to use entry hazards. If you desire a more offensive approach, then use Ice Beam instead for fantastic coverage. With an EV spread that maximizes physical bulk, Wartortle will be taking more hits than you would think.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Wartortle functions most effectively with a physically defensive set due to the popularity of predominantly physical types such as Fighting-types. If you’re using Wartortle on a rain team, you should use Rain Dish as a makeshift Leftovers. If not, Torrent shall suffice. Using a Bold nature capitalizes on its physical bulk, but a Modest nature has the potential to generate a slightly more noticeable offensive presence. Wartortle works much better with various support options, (comma) such as Wish support from Pokemon like such as Clefable or Leafeon. Entry hazards, as mentioned before, help deal additional damage when foes are forced to switch out. Pokemon with the abilities Sap Sipper and Volt Absorb help defensively, as they can utilize Wartortle's weaknesses to their advantage. Pokemon such as Ferroseed and Tangrowth also help defensively, as they can switch into Electric and Grass-type attacks aimed at Wartortle. It's also easier to have Pokemon that normally suffer from a Stealth Rock weakness, (comma) such as Charizard and Syther, as Wartortle can eliminate the threat of Stealth Rock and help maximize the durability of these teammates.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Wartortle's movepool and stats limit what it can pull off effectively. However, Wartortle has been gifted with several usable moves. Toxic fits well with a stalling approach, as it will wear down and take out nemies. Iron Defense, along with the combination of Aqua Ring and Leftovers, hint at the stalling tactic yet again. Although Wartortle possesses a plethora of stalling moves, its HP does not suit a stalling set. Aqua Jet and Fake Out serve as priority attacks, and Haze can be used to stop boosters in their tracks. These moves are Wartortle’s only other viable tactics in battle.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bulky Water-types, (comma) such as Poliwrath and Walrein, (comma) take very little damage from Wartortle's attacks, (no comma) and can strike back with incredible force. Grass-types, most usually such as Ferroseed and Sceptile, (comma) wall the blue tortoise and can retaliate with super effective STAB attacks. Electric-types along the likes of such as Galvantula, Manetric, and Electivire may not be able to wall Wartortle, but can attack hard and fast with super effective STAB moves.</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)