Smeargle (1/2)

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
QC Stamps- muffinhead
GP Stamps-

I learn too many fucking moves!

[Overview]
- biggest move pool, only move it doesn't get is roflchatter
- moody makes it so annoying of it stays in for a bit
- 75 base speed helps outspeed stuff like ttar and metagross. Also hit onto but that only ever uses priority so
- fastest Spore user
- dark void got banned which sucks for him
- horrid stats except for speed
- taunt will make it want to kill itself
- 4 moveslot syndrome... So many good moves to use, only 4 slots lol

[SET]
name: Utility Lead
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Spore
move 3: Follow Me / Helping Hand
move 4: Taunt / Encore
item: Focus Sash / Mental Herb
nature: Jolly
ability: Own Tempo
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

- Again MAJOR 4 MOVESLOT SYNDROME
- Spore is a must for him, as there would be no other reason to use him as other support mons have better defenses
- Fake Out helps in having your ally set up, but don't expect to do any sort of damage with it.
- Taunt can be used to stop apposing set up.
- Encore can be used to trap pokemon like Hitmontop and Cress into a useless attack.
- Focus Sash is desirable, as it has bad defenses
- Mental Herb is a decent alternative, as it allows you to break through Taunt and Encore and spam Spore
- own tempo let's you avoid confusion, not like you'd need it every game

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
- best teammates are pokemon that set up
- frail sweepers that can't take a hit also
- with those evs you actually do damage with fake out and can be as bulky as smeargle gets and very fast too
- you arent using its sp.a so might as well decrease it to boost speed
- own tempo is own tempo

[SET]
name: Lv. 1 Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Spore
Move 3: Endeavor
move 4: Feint / Destiny Bond
item: Focus Sash
nature: Brave
ability: Own Tempo
ivs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD / 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

- To be better than Lv. 1 Whimsicott/Cottonee, need to utilize Spore
- Unless double targeted, will always get a Trick Room up
- Endeavor brings the opponent to low HP, making it easy to take out later/ same turn in Trick Room
- Extreemspeed is to finish the pokemon you Endeavored
- Focus Sash is a must, not surviving anything at Level 1. Not like it survives anything at level 100 anyways
- To work, needs team support, a Fake Out lead/ Rage Power or Follow Me Lead along with Smeargle works fine

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

- HE CAN DO ANYTHING
- Rage Powder/Follow Me can be used to make all attacks go to Smeargle, increasing support, however his low bulk makes it unreliable, unless you just need 1 turn of set-up, and have a focus sash. If not, it gets ohkoed and makes the whole strategy useless
- He could use Tailwind, and he makes a decent user of Tailwind thanks to Spore.

[Other Options]

- joke about jimbo is as big as smeargle's movepool
- Thunder Wave can be used as a status move, however pokemon like Thundurus and Cresslia can do T-WAve better thanks to Priority or Better bulk, respectively
- Will-O-Wisp can be used to spread burn, however pokemon like sabeyle have Priority burns, making even the fastest physical attacker bow down in fear
- Super Fang can be used to cut down Pokemon like Cresslia and Metagross
- Detect can be used to gain an extra turn on the field, if you need it for whatever reason
- Imprison + 3 moves that give your team trouble is p. good, and probably will catch your opponent surprised
- moody + entrainment is p. cool, but relies a bit on luck
- you can use bp with moody, but the battles are so short, good luck
-transform is gimmicky but can work
- choice scarf for a fast spore, or in conjunction with trick or switcheroo

[Checks and Counters]

- taunt
- lum berry
- gets 2HKOed by any attacking moves not with a ghost-typing

Stuff I am not fully convinced about: Transform, ability trading moves

breh

強いだね
timid fake out?

may want to lower speed to outspeed max + base 70s and stick the remaining points in HP. the things in that range are bad or smeargle (if you are overly worried, just add "if you want to speed tie guaranteed with other smeargle, use jolly max).

I'm not a fan of moody entrainment tbh. you end up just wasting a teamslot for something that dies t1 for a small chance at success. nice for trolling, I guess, but not too great for play. The 15 minute timer does not help, either.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
a few things:

in the abilities in the sets you have own tempo, yet you mention moody in the set comments

your spacings with some of the slashes are wrong, it should always look like: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD / 0 Spe or whatever applies (there are a few instances)

i really like smeargle having follow me

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I find Amoonguss to be a superior user of Rage Powder/Follow Me. Much more bulky and isn't KOed in two shots by non super effective moves, and also has access to Spore. Smeargle really did take a hit when Dark Void got banned.

Whimsicott pretty much beats Smeargle in terms of utility, with Prankster, and access to Taunt, Encore, Stun Spore, Safeguard and much more. Fake Out and Spore should be staples for Smeargle, since that's the only thing that sets it apart. Pretty much needs a Follow Me/Rage Powder partner if it wants to stay effective, since it's pretty much dead after 2 turns.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Imo Dark Void was smeargle. Transform is very viable. You can spore both opponents, and then transform as you don't want Smeargle to be a liability. Though back in 09 you can DV, and transform on the spot.

-Follow me is useful. Lets say your in a 2v1 situation. Is smeargle truly useful? Hellz no. Its just there make it useful by taking 1 for the team.

-Also for feargle can you talk about the viability of smeargle in the back. I mean smeargle dies from fakeout+priority, so if its in the back focussash will be intact, and you got a powerhouse endeavouring and sporing away.

-Wait a minute why is feargle using extremespeed when FEINT HAS THE SAME PRIORITY, AND BREAKS PROTECT.

-Smeargle sadly doesn't have alot going for it imo, but its no were near useless

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
you could also mention choice scarf in oo for a fast spore
trick/switcheroo could work well in conjunction with that

feint is good too

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ev spread should be max hp, 4 atk, max speed O.o

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
- with a moveset as large as jimbo, it shouldn't be too hard to find something. Seriously, this thing has everything but chatter. Just don't use attacking moves. Ever.
(seriously, do I have to list everything Smeargle can use in vgc?)

this should be about ev spread, nature, ability, item.

breh

強いだね
muffinhead, the only moves it's not going to die to are weak physical priority moves. might as well let it take less from them.

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
muffinhead, the only moves it's not going to die to are weak physical priority moves. might as well let it take less from them.
also stuff like cresselia's psychic after you taunt it or it wakes up, weak attacks from supporters are generally special attacks

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
sorry for double post but add some good teammates for it, set up can work with smeargle or just frail mons who need fake out or follow me support. it fits on a lot of teams, too. after that qc 1 / 2

Don't mention "roflchatter", sort of just a waste of time in all honesty. I don't see why anything with a Focus Sash wouldn't run Protect, with Hitmontop and Metagross dominating the format, opposing priority moves are one of Smear's worst nightmares

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
why didnt you mention dragon rage on the trick room set at all? it deals a like 40 damage

(assuming these pokemon are level 50, most smeargle will be doing outside of endeavor)

and also allows you to finish of pokemon with sitrus berry/leftovers

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
Don't mention "roflchatter", sort of just a waste of time in all honesty. I don't see why anything with a Focus Sash wouldn't run Protect, with Hitmontop and Metagross dominating the format, opposing priority moves are one of Smear's worst nightmares
smeragle fake out top and metagross turn 1, its faster, sash is for turn 2
why didnt you mention dragon rage on the trick room set at all? it deals a like 40 damage

(assuming these pokemon are level 50, most smeargle will be doing outside of endeavor)

and also allows you to finish of pokemon with sitrus berry/leftovers
because for the most part, endeavor + feint will ko. feint is priority, dragon rage is not.

solace you are ms. qc 2 / 2, where you at ????????@@@@

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
smeragle fake out top and metagross turn 1, its faster, sash is for turn 2

because for the most part, endeavor + feint will ko. feint is priority, dragon rage is not.

solace you are ms. qc 2 / 2, where you at ????????@@@@
thats a point, but its in trick room, making speed obselete for the most part, i think it is deserving of a mention, even just in AC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)