sandmag (Peaked #1)

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Not really much to say at this point. I'm going to be as terse as possible here, I've already done the whole over the top self-gratifying RMT thing before and it's not really necessary.
This hit #1 briefly and hangs out at #2-3 as well as winning a few #littlecup cups so I guess it's ok. Hard-counters Furai's team too. Ray Jay gets credit for making this team with me but like every single person I teambuild with he didn't use it...

I called it sandmag because everyone in #littlecup calls it sandmag. Pretty infamous by now.

sandmag

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Regenerator | Impish
76 Atk / 196 Def / 236 Spe
- Fake Out
- Hi Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Should be on every team by now. Fake Out + U-turn is just incredible for scouting, and Hi Jump Kick is ridiculously strong. Stone Edge is for Larvesta which are annoying. In Sand it isn't such a great Scraggy check, as switching in on hazards + Sand will mean that +1 Hi Jump Kick KOes, but whatever I have Drilbur.

EVs are so I can beat Scraggy sorta and also be fast. Eviolite is better than anything else Mienfoo can use, and also lets it serve as a Snover check. Can't switch in on Snover though.

Hippopotas @ Eviolite
Sand Stream | Impish
212 HP / 20 Atk / 52 Def / 180 SpD / 20 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Slack Off

It's a sand team. There's not much to say about Hippopotas, it's just necessary. Stealth Rock is nice to break Focus Sash and stuff, but sandstorm does a pretty good job. Earthquake is STAB and dents Clamperl/Scraggy/whatever trying to set up hard enough. Crunch kills Gastly. A lot of times I just sacrifice this to get a free switch into Drilbur. Sometimes this ends up being helpful lategame to kill a Mienfoo or whatever. Obviously I have to keep it alive against Snover but really that's just switching and taking an extra hit somewhere else, so not really a big deal. If you keep sandstorm up against a Snover team you pretty much win, and you can win even if you lose the weather war.

EVs are whatever I decided to throw on it. Hippopotas doesn't really matter for this team.

Larvesta @ Eviolite
Flame Body | Adamant
76 HP / 156 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SpD / 116 Spe
- Morning Sun
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp

It's here to kill Snover. If you use Hidden Power Rock you're dumb. U-turn's free switch for Drilbur is pretty cool too. Flare Blitz hits hard and kills Ferroseed too, which is nice. Also is a pretty good counter to Sun teams, although watch out for Weather Ball in sandstorm (100 BP Rock ouch). Morning Sun sucks in Sand/Hail but whatever, it's healing.

EVs are standard, I might move the Speed EVs to Special Defense to take Blizzards a bit better.

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Sand Rush | Adamant
36 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Nothing really to say here aside from how I play this. I use Swords Dance rarely (which is sort of a bad thing but whatever). Usually I just revenge kill stuff with Drilbur and clean up late-game. Everything in the tier needs at least two boosts to be faster (and even then they sometimes aren't). Drilbur is nice because I don't have to carry a dedicated revenge killer like Scarf Tailow or something. If you want you can get a good U-turn in on something like a Croagunk switching in on Mienfoo and get a free Swords Dance. Swords Dance should only be really used lategame, as Frillish/Ferroseed/something else bulky will just wall and kill you if you don't. Drilbur is such a huge threat that it influences opponents without even being on the field.

EVs are pretty standard. I don't think Drilbur is that broken. That Drilbur plushie is mine btw.

Magnemite @ Air Balloon
Magnet Pull | Modest
240 SpA / 240 Spe
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Magnet Rise
- Hidden Power Fire

This set is just really good. A lot of teams use Bronzor alone to counter Drilbur, and so I just Magnemite the Bronzor and win. Volt Switch is nice, I can usually switch to Drilbur after it and get a free KO. Frillish and Slowpoke don't like Volt Switch either. Also great in Sand vs Sand because Balloon means that you're a Drilbur counter. Flash Cannon 2HKOes a lot of things. It's pretty much filler though. You can look on-site for a better explanation. Also is a pretty good Snover switch but not really. Blizzard 3HKOes.

EVs are standard. I guess I don't need -that- much Speed but whatever.

Natu @ Eviolite
Magic Bounce | Timid
196 HP / 76 Def / 200 Spe
- Hidden Power Flying
- Roost
- Toxic
- FeatherDance

Elevator Music said:
Counters entry hazard and defensive teams. The only really troublesome Pokemon to switch into is Dwebble, who people normally lead with anyways, and Natu wins any other 1v1 matchup against it. Hidden Power Flying gives better solo coverage than Psychic, so that's why I run it.
Completely stolen from Elevator Music. This is just really good. You actually beat every single physical attacker in Little Cup, even Stunky and Scraggy. Chinchou/Gastly are annoying but whatever. Psychic over Toxic could work too.

EVs are standard I guess.

Final Glance

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah built this with you (also I did use it in lccs nearly exclusively for a period of about a week, but i guess I never played you). Magnemite is so antimetagame it's not funny, also we rock as always and I guess you're a cutie pie.

I've actually used a similar team to good success. Drilbur + Magemite is a very strong combo, especially Air Balloon Mag. Awesome team. If I can, I'll try to come up with a solid rate later.

good team is good. combines sand with the biggest offensive and defensive threats in the meta. there's really nothing I can say, besides magnemite is fucking beast. personally I kinda like Eviolite Mag but I get that you can send it on Drilbur and lol as you magnet rise when they pop your ballon.

Yo. Opposing Drillburs might be threatening if it manages to grab a Swords Dance, but I guess it wouldnt be that much of a problem if you play around it well keep the offensive pressure on your opponent. Great team.

this is the biggest bitch of a team I've seen in a long time, that magnemite drives me insane, I could see Snover being an issue if rocks are down, Larvesta won't be switching in then. You can play around it though

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
FUK iss.

This team is piss annoying, it gains all the momentum it can get. That Magnemite is a fucking dick I swear. You might want to try Thunderbolt over Volt Switch on Magnemite for that extra power.

Also your Drilbur picture is SO TRUE

Good job nigga, good fucking job!

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Thanks to everyone for the congrats. I appreciate it <3

Yo. Opposing Drillburs might be threatening if it manages to grab a Swords Dance, but I guess it wouldnt be that much of a problem if you play around it well keep the offensive pressure on your opponent. Great team.
Sand vs Sand might be this team's worst matchup- it is quite difficult to win if they carry more conventional sand Pokemon such as Lileep. Balloon Magnemite helps out a lot here, but it is imperative that I keep the Balloon intact until lategame. Hippopotas is also pretty vital, and Natu for keeping Stealth Rock off the field so that Larvesta can switch into Lileep. I don't really like playing against other sand teams using this team- Drilbur is just a pretty big threat. Having Eviolite over Life Orb means that my Drilbur can always beat an unboosted Life Orb Drilbur (EQ does ~90%), but it's all about keeping my Drilbur alive while killing theirs.

this is the biggest bitch of a team I've seen in a long time, that magnemite drives me insane, I could see Snover being an issue if rocks are down, Larvesta won't be switching in then. You can play around it though
If Stealth Rock is up and they have Snover, it is extremely difficult to win. You basically have to trade KOes between Snover switching in, hope that Blizzard misses Hippopotas enough, and kill Snover. Scarf Snover is the worst, I don't really have a good Blizzard switch if Stealth Rock is up. Natu is probably the most important member on the team when facing hail, as hazards NEED to be kept off the field.

FUK iss.

This team is piss annoying, it gains all the momentum it can get. That Magnemite is a fucking dick I swear. You might want to try Thunderbolt over Volt Switch on Magnemite for that extra power.

Also your Drilbur picture is SO TRUE

Good job nigga, good fucking job!
I originally used Thunderbolt, but found that I wasn't really using it against anything. You want to Volt Switch out of Fighting-types anyways, as you're slow and can't OHKO them, and against most other things Flash Cannon is better. Volt Switch + Drilbur's Earthquake KOes a lot of things, which is really nice. I've had a bunch of Drilbur sweeps where I Volt Switch out of an incoming Croagunk. Thanks for the rate though!

Team is nice, better than my shit -_- As mentioned earlier, snover eats you for dinner if rocks are up. Consider using that rest talk munchlax with the ol' fire punch plus return. seems legit. good team, hoe.

edit: oh yeah, i meant using the munchlax thing over like your larvesta thing

This team is ass it can't even stand up to my sandstorm team which is like 6 months old now.

JKJKJK this looks like a very solid team; I like the fact that you attempt to base the team off of Hippopotas + Drilbur with 4 anti-anti-sand team Pokemon. All in all was quite good, but I really don't have much to say.

Oh sorry, I thought I had posted in this yesterday but I guess not. Is there any real reason for using Natu over Staryu? I mean I'm a pretty big Natu fan obviously, but you really lack the ability to keep rocks off the field against something like Dwebble, and thats way too important for your team, since Larvesta is like your only real weapon against Scarf Snover. Staryu also brings a little more offensive prescence to your team, and can even lure out and cripple some Snover with HP Fire (which I recommend since you don't really need Thunderbolt), as well as 'other random Grass-types that counter Drilbur', which Magnemite obviously can't trap and kill and Larvesta can only threaten out.

My only other concern is that you seem to have no real answer to Chinchou (or really to Water-types in general) other than threaten them out with Drilbur until everything else is dead... I guess that's fine though against most teams, since yours is fairly offensive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)