BW UU 100 Million Volts (Peaked #2 on the Smogon UU Ladder)

100 Million Volts

Introduction

When OU Suspect Testing ended, I lost interest in the OU section of Dragonspiral Tower. While looking for something new to focus on, I decided to do some reading in the UU subforum since the UU tier contains several of my favorite Pokemon and I thought it would make a nice break from the Deoxys-S-dominated offense that made up most of OU at that point.

I had tried to start playing UU before, but with little success. I wasn't really sure how to get started on my own, so I began by looking at the most recent usage stats at the time (both the regular and 1337 variants) to determine what the metagame was like. After gaining my initial impressions from the usage stats, I read through the UU Stage 4 thread so that I understood the metagame as well as I could before I started to play. From there, with a better understanding of the metagame, I went back to the usage stats to begin building my team, as detailed in the Teambuilding Process section below.

The result was the single most successful ladder team I have ever used when playing Pokemon in any tier. Laddering under the name Cold Fire, I peaked at #2 on the Smogon University UU ladder, both winning and losing against some of Smogon's top UU players. Despite the fact that I am relatively unknown, other UU players recognized my skill (at least one person mistook me for Heysup at one point).

This team has shown both that it matches up well against all other types of teams and that its strategy and design allow a competent player to win consistently.

Posting this team has three purposes: first, and most importantly, it allows me to receive feedback from the Smogon community and improve this team and my own skills as a UU player. Second, I want to share this team to increase awareness of the UU tier within the community and help players unfamiliar with the tier get started by providing both a team that is straightforward and easy to use and an explanation of my battling and teambuilding strategies and philosophies. Finally, posting this team is part of what is essentially a bid for a spot on an SPL team during midseason pickups. I hope that it demonstrates my skill at the tier sufficiently to persuade at least one team to bid on me during the midseason pickups. The team title is a reference to lightning's typical discharge of 30,000 amperes at up to 100 million volts, a fitting title for the team because it's based around the most powerful Electric-type sweeper available.

Potential raters (and casual readers), please read the Teambuilding Process section below. It contains important information about how the team was formed and how I go about creating teams. Reading it is not essential to understanding how the team works, but I think that it will be very helpful.

Teambuilding Process

I began by analyzing the usage stats. I realized that Raikou was one of the best, if not the best, setup sweeper available in UU, so I decided to base my team around Substitute + Calm Mind Raikou, which is far more effective than an all-out offensive Calm Mind set. I was skeptical at first, but after testing the difference became obvious.

Next, I wanted a Special sweeper that had good offensive and defensive synergy with Raikou. I chose an underrated Pokemon: Calm Mind + Roar Suicune. Suicune and Raikou can take advantage of each others' counters in order to set up and put pressure on the opposing team. In addition, Suicune provided me with a bulky Water-type Pokemon, which is enormously useful in the UU metagame for a variety of reasons.

At this point, I realized that I needed a physical attacker to break through the Special walls that Raikou and Suicune have trouble with, so I selected Choice Band Heracross. Heracross's STAB options and coverage make it very difficult to switch into, especially with entry hazards forcing my opponent to take damage every time they switch, and it also has good offensive synergy with Raikou and Suicune, as it helps break down their counters and the few Pokemon that can safely switch in on it provide opportunities for either Raikou or Suicune to set up.

I realized that I still didn't really have any Pokemon that could switch in repeatedly on powerful Ground-type and Electric-type attacks. I was also ready to start considering a revenge killer. Choice Scarf Flygon fit the bill perfectly, as its typing is excellent both offensively and defensively, and it can also retain momentum and rack up hazard damage with U-turn.

I've been talking about entry hazards a lot throughout this section. I knew that I wanted both Stealth Rock and Spikes (both are ubiquitous in UU), and the best Pokemon to set them both up is Deoxys-D.

With one slot remaining, I realized that I needed a counter to Roserade. I decided to use Rest + Sleep Talk Weezing so that I had a status absorber and a counter to many prominent UU Pokemon such as Roserade and Heracross.

Weezing really wasn't pulling its weight and I was losing my hazards to users of Rapid Spin far too often, so I traded Weezing for Chandelure. Chandelure provides significantly more offensive presence in exchange for the ability to absorb status. It has almost the same set of resistances as Weezing and performs most of the same roles in addition to blocking Rapid Spin.

In-Depth

The goal of this team is to enable Raikou or Suicune to sweep, although any of the members can and have finished games for me. This team is not wholly dependent on either of my two setup sweepers to win, although allowing them to set up is usually the surest and most efficient path to victory, and the rest of the team works toward allowing that to happen.

The Hazard Setter (My Life For My Team!)

Deoxys-D @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Night Shade
- Taunt

Overview:

Deoxys-D is usually the Pokemon I lead with, as it excels at setting up Stealth Rock and Spikes early in the game. Deoxys-D's bulk and typing make it extremely difficult to OHKO, and it has decent Speed for a wall, which means that it can often set up Stealth Rock and at least one layer of Spikes before it is KOed. This set is taken directly from Snunch's RMT (Blazefire Saber), so all credit for it goes to him. It often serves as a suicide lead, sacrificing itself to set up entry hazards, which are extremely important to this team. Setting up Stealth Rock against Sunny Day teams is particularly important because so many of the Pokemon on those teams are weak to Rock-type attacks. Very few Pokemon commonly seen on Sunny Day teams can outspeed and OHKO Deoxys-D, so I usually manage to set up Stealth Rock.

In addition to setting up hazards, Deoxys-D also serves as a check to dangerous Pokemon such as Swords Dance Cobalion because its bulk allows it to survive one boosted hit (including X-Scissor if Deoxys-D has at least 92% of its health left) and use Night Shade to inflict sufficient damage to bring it within KO range of Flygon's Earthquake or Raikou's Thunderbolt. Deoxys-D's ability to bring threats within KO range of my other Pokemon means that I try to keep it relatively healthy throughout the game instead of sacrificing it to get as many layers of entry hazards as possible, although I'm perfectly willing to trade Deoxys-D for entry hazards if that gains me more of an advantage than saving it for later in the game. Deoxys-D is an extremely important part of my team because of its versatility. It takes pressure off of my other Pokemon by easing KOs through entry hazard support and by providing a defensive safety net throughout the game.

Deoxys-D is very effective at providing hazard support, as most users of Rapid Spin lack reliable recovery, so I can force them to take Night Shade damage just to remove Stealth Rock or Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes. After I've weakened Blastoise with Night Shade once, I can double switch to Chandelure as the opponent brings in Blastoise again and immediately threaten it out. After being forced to switch into hazards and/or Night Shade, Chandelure can easily dispose of common users of Rapid Spin or render them too weakened to come in again and threaten my entry hazards.

Moveset and EV Spread:

The moves and EVs are fairly straightforward: Stealth Rock and Spikes are my entry hazards, which are almost mandatory in UU, Taunt prevents opposing Pokemon from setting up boosting moves or entry hazards or using status moves such as Toxic or Sleep Powder. Deoxys-D often faces mirror matches against other Deoxys-D, so Taunt gives it the chance to make the most out of winning the Speed tie. Night Shade simply gives Deoxys-D some offensive presence and enables it to function when Taunted. The HP EVs maximize overall bulk, while 252 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature maximize Speed so that I at least tie with other Deoxys-D, as early hazards enable me to dictate the flow of the match.

The Hazard Protector (Bring It On, Blastoise!)

Chandelure (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 48 HP / 208 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Overview:

Chandelure replaced Weezing as my answer to dangerous Pokemon such as Heracross and Roserade and it has performed above and beyond my expectations. Its excellent set of immunities and resistances, combined with its reasonable bulk, are exactly what this team needs, as they allow me to switch in against Pokemon such as Roserade, Heracross, and Darmanitan much more easily than I would otherwise be able to. Chandelure also gave me a weapon against Hail teams before the ban on Snow Warning.

Chandelure’s most important job is to protect my entry hazards by blocking Rapid Spin. Chandelure matches up well against every Rapid Spinner besides Blastoise, but it even beats Blastoise with enough residual damage. I generally have to play carefully around Blastoise, weakening it with Deoxys-D’s Night Shade or double switching to Heracross when I predict that Blastoise will try to come in and spin away my entry hazards. From there, I can threaten it out or KO it outright. Entry hazards are so important to my team that, in many cases, I’ll sacrifice Chandelure to weaken the opponent’s user of Rapid Spin to the point that it can’t come in and remove my hazards later. For example, Chandelure’s Energy Ball does 35.9% - 42.5% to 252 HP/252 SDef Calm Blastoise, so if it switches into Night Shade once I have a chance to 2HKO it with Energy Ball even without entry hazard damage, which becomes a guaranteed 2HKO with Stealth Rock or one layer of Spikes, while Blastoise can never OHKO me with uninvested Scald even after Stealth Rock damage (uninvested Scald removes 61.5% - 72.5% of Chandelure’s health). In addition, 252 HP/252 Def Impish Hitmontop fails to OHKO with Stone Edge or Sucker Punch (Stone Edge does 55.7% - 65.9%), while Chandelure can 2HKO Hitmontop with a combination of Fire Blast and Shadow Ball. Sucker Punch is actually more of a problem than Stone Edge, since it does 44.7% - 52.7%, so I have to play mind games to avoid being 2HKOed if Chandelure has taken prior damage, although Chandelure avoids the 2HKO at full health.

Chandelure’s second purpose is to provide offensive pressure and weaken Raikou or Suicune’s counters. Snorlax counters both Chandelure and Raikou, so a smart double switch to Heracross as Snorlax comes in to wall Chandelure forces it to take hazard damage and immediately either switch out due to the threat of Heracross’s 120 Base Power physical STAB moves and take more hazard damage the next time it comes in or take the hit from Heracross. Bulky Ground-type Pokemon who can survive a +1 Hidden Power Ice from Raikou such as Rhyperior often come in on Chandelure, trying to force it out by threatening it with their super effective STAB attacks. However, Rhyperior is easily OHKOed by Energy Ball without the presence of Sandstorm or significant EV investment in Special Defense.

Many players rely on bulky Water-type Pokemon such as Blastoise or Milotic to wall Suicune and either inflict status or pseudo-Haze it out with Roar or Dragon Tail. Chandelure lures in and helps weaken these Pokemon to the point where Suicune can eventually break through them, and I often sacrifice Chandelure in exchange for a weakened counter to Suicune or Raikou.

In addition, Chandelure’s Base 145 Special Attack stat helps it weaken teams even when it’s not luring and damaging counters to my main sweepers. Its phenomenal power and coverage put significant pressure on my opponents and force them into a restricted set of moves. It is very easy to predict how an opponent will react to Chandelure and move accordingly as very few Pokemon can avoid a 2HKO from the appropriate move, which is easy to select thanks to the scouting utility that Substitute provides.

Finally, Chandelure’s Flash Fire Ability provides me with my second method of defending myself from Sunny Day teams. I can come in on a Pokemon locked into a Fire-type attack, get the boost, set up a Substitute, and hit the switch-in with the appropriate attack.

Moveset and EV Spread:

Chandelure’s moveset and EVs are slightly irregular, but they make sense in the context of Chandelure’s role in this team. Substitute helps Chandelure scout and eases prediction by providing it with a safety blanket against the opponent’s next move. From the safety present behind a Substitute, Chandelure can strike the Pokemon that my opponent switches in with impunity. This also helps me deal with Pokemon equipped with Choice Items, such as Flygon. I can make the appropriate switch if it uses Earthquake or Outrage, while I retain my Substitute if Flygon uses U-turn. Substitute also throws opponents off balance if they expect a set using a Choice Item, as Chandelure decimates the Pokemon they send in to wall one attack with another altogether from the protection of a Substitute. Fire Blast is Chandelure’s best STAB move because it possesses the best balance of Base Power, accuracy, and consistency. Overheat is more powerful and accurate, but less consistent due to the drop in Special Attack that it causes, while Flamethrower is significantly less powerful in exchange for its increased PP and accuracy. Shadow Ball is Chandelure’s secondary, more accurate and reliable, STAB move, which provides decent coverage with Fire Blast. Finally, Energy Ball rounds out the coverage by hitting very specific targets: bulky Water-type Pokemon and Pokemon such as Rhyperior that wall Raikou and resist Fire Blast, as Shadow Ball is not powerful enough to dispose of these Pokemon alone. I’ve been considering changing Energy Ball to another move such as Will-o-Wisp or Pain Split, but I don’t like giving up the coverage it provides.

The EV spread is fairly simple even though it is not the standard offensive spread of 252 SAtk/252 Speed. The 48 HP EVs provide me with one point of additional Leftovers recovery and one additional HP so that I can switch into Stealth Rock five times instead of four. I maximized Speed with 252 EVs and a Timid nature so that I could tie with positive-natured Pokemon with a Base Speed of 80 and outrun all Pokemon below that Speed benchmark. The remainder of the EVs are dedicated to boosting Chandelure’s Special Attack.

The Wallbreaker (The Strongest Bug in the World)

Heracross (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Guts
EVs: 72 HP / 220 Atk / 216 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Overview:

Even though Heracross technically has a lower Base Attack stat than Scizor or Escavalier, its Choice Band set is arguably better at punching holes in teams than those of either Scizor or Escavalier, and thus I grant it the title of Strongest Bug in the World. Its Fighting-type STAB attacks and Speed outweigh Escavalier’s bulk and additional power, which is why I selected it over Escavalier, and a Guts boost even makes it more powerful than Escavalier. Heracross provides crucial power to this team and can take advantage of its typing and solid bulk to find many opportunities to switch in over the course of a game. As useful for Heracross as the extra Speed a Choice Scarf provides is, I believe that it benefits far more from the extra power that a Choice Band grants. A Base Attack stat of 125, backed up by the Choice Band boost and two 120 Base Power STAB attacks, allows Heracross to OHKO or 2HKO most of the UU metagame even without entry hazard support, while entry hazards ensure that almost no Pokemon available in UU play can safely switch in on Choice Band Heracross.

Heracross’s primary function is to weaken the Special walls and bulky Water-type Pokemon that inhibit a sweep by Raikou or Suicune, which it performs admirably. Damage calculations provided below illustrate how effectively Heracross breaks down some of the most prominent Pokemon in UU.

-1 Close Combat vs. 72 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 72.6% - 85.8% (Probable OHKO after Stealth Rock, potential but unlikely OHKO after one layer of Spikes)

-1 Close Combat vs. 180 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 67.2% - 79.5% (Possible OHKO after Stealth Rock, guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes.)

+ 0 Close Combat or Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Blastoise: 60.8% - 72.1% (Guaranteed 2HKO)

+0 Close Combat or Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Blastoise, neutral nature: 84.5% - 99.7% (Probable OHKO with Stealth Rock or one layer of Spikes, guaranteed OHKO with both Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes)

+0 Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Chandelure: 142.7% - 167.9% (Guaranteed OHKO)

+0 Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Escavalier: 85.7% - 101.5% (Probable OHKO after Stealth Rock or one layer of Spikes)

+0 Megahorn vs. 232 HP / 100 Def Timid Froslass: 53.1% - 62.5% (Almost guaranteed 2HKO even without entry hazards

-1 Close Combat vs 252 HP / 252 Def Impish Hitmontop: 50.3% - 59.5% (Guaranteed 2HKO with Stealth Rock)

+0 Close Combat or Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Milotic: 65.1% - 77.1% (Guaranteed 2HKO)

+0 Close Combat or Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Calm Milotic: 94.9% - 112.2% (Guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock)

+0 Close Combat or Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Bold Suicune: 49.8% - 58.7% (Guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock)

+0 Close Combat or Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Modest Suicune: 67.1% - 79.5% (Possible OHKO after Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes)

+0 Close Combat or Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 216 Def Relaxed Swampert: 60.5% - 71.5% (Guaranteed 2HKO)

+0 Close Combat or Megahorn vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Adamant Swampert: 87.5% - 103.1% (Guaranteed OHKO with one layer of Spikes)

+0 Megahorn vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Victini: 89.7% - 106.2% (OHKO with Stealth Rock or one layer of Spikes)

+0 Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 228 Def Bold Zapdos: 73.1% - 86.2% (Probable OHKO after Stealth Rock)

+0 Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 102.3% - 120.6% (Guaranteed OHKO)

These calculations should effectively demonstrate Heracross’s immense power.

I usually bring Heracross out early-game or midgame on a double switch or a resisted attack, select the appropriate coverage move to deal with the opponent’s Heracross counter (usually Stone Edge), switch it out again, and bring it in later to fire off powerful STAB attacks. Heracross often nets two KOs a game and it is very rare that it is KOed before it has the chance to eliminate at least one of my opponent’s Pokemon. Heracross brings resistances to some of the most common attack types in UU, which grant it quite a few opportunities to switch in. Its typing allows it to check dangerous Pokemon such as Krookodile, Weavile, Roserade, Bisharp, Hitmontop, Shaymin, and Rhyperior. Heracross often puts opponents in something of a checkmate position, where they lose a Pokemon regardless of whether they switch or stay in. Like Chandelure, Choice Band Heracross has very few counters, which makes my opponent’s next move obvious and allows me to take advantage of that and my entry hazards to make smart switches and wear down the opposing team. Heracross’s counters are easy prey for the rest of my team, so smart double switching in conjunction with the damage my entry hazards provide allows me to gain and retain momentum easily. I’ve talked less about Heracross than about other members of the team, but this is in no way a reflection on its value to this team. Heracross is an invaluable part of this team.

Moveset and EV Spread:

Close Combat and Megahorn are obligatory STAB moves. There is no reason for any Heracross set to pass over either of these moves unless it’s some sort of gimmicky Bulk Up + Rest + Sleep Talk set. Stone Edge provides coverage and allows Heracross to eliminate Pokemon that would otherwise counter it. Pursuit is mostly meant to remove dangerous Ghost-type and Psychic-type Pokemon, but it serves well to damage most frail fleeing Pokemon. The 72 HP EVs ensure that Mismagius will never OHKO Heracross at +2 Special Attack with Shadow Ball unless it uses a Life Orb. The 216 Speed EVs enable Heracross to outspeed all Pokemon with a Base Speed of 80 and a neutral nature (this was mostly to beat Mamoswine at the time of the team’s inception). Finally, the Attack EVs and the Adamant nature grant Heracross as much power as possible.

The Revenge Killer (Fastest of the Fast)

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Overview:

Flygon may not be one of the most powerful Pokemon around, but its utility is not to be underestimated. Its typing synergizes incredibly well with Raikou and Suicune: it is immune to the Ground-type attacks that Raikou lures and the Electric-type attacks that Suicune draws, while Suicune resists Ice-type attacks, Flygon’s major weakness. It also benefits enormously from entry hazards, not only because residual damage makes it easier for Flygon to perform its revenge killing duties, but also because it can scout and abuse multiple layers of entry hazards with U-turn. Despite its primary role as a revenge killer, Flygon also serves as a useful scout early in the game. Flygon’s useful resistances and immunities allow me to switch it in early and often, usually for free, and rack up damage with U-turn and entry hazards. It lures Pokemon that other members of my team can take advantage of. For example, people often switch bulky Water-type Pokemon into Flygon in order to absorb an attack, but when I use U-turn I can set up entry hazards with Deoxys-D while weak Scalds fail to do significant damage or bring in Heracross to 2HKO them with boosted attacks. Later in the game, when Raikou’s counters and checks have been sufficiently weakened, I can use U-turn to switch Raikou in on a bulky Water-type Pokemon and begin setting up and sweeping. If the opponent switches to a Steel-type Pokemon to take advantage of a predicted Outrage, I can take advantage of that by switching Chandelure into play and setting up a Substitute while Pokemon such as Escavalier or Registeel switch out.

Flygon holds this team together against a variety of threats. It allows me to revenge kill or otherwise check some of the most menacing sweepers in the tier, such as Raikou, Cobalion, Kingdra, and Nidoking. It also outspeeds or ties with common users of Choice Scarf such as Victini, Darmanitan, and Heracross, which gives me an advantage when matched up against them because I can force them out with the threat of Earthquake or Outrage and take advantage of the switch by using U-turn. It also helps me handle Rain Dance and Sunny Day teams, as it is faster than many common Pokemon that utilize the Abilities Swift Swim or Chlorophyll, such as Omastar, Tangrowth, and Victreebel. I try to preserve Flygon when facing Sunny Day or Rain Dance teams because its Speed and STAB attacks are extremely dangerous to such teams. Its STAB attacks provide amazing coverage and allow it to threaten almost every Pokemon in the tier. There is really no one Pokemon that holds the team together (team matchups can vary so widely in Generation 5 that a Pokemon absolutely crucial in one battle can end up being utterly useless in the next), but Flygon is the Pokemon that comes closest to doing that. I try to play conservatively with Flygon because it’s so useful throughout the game.

Moveset and EV Spread:

Outrage is Flygon’s most powerful STAB move. Its 120 Base Power gives Flygon some much-needed strength, and its phenomenal coverage makes it an excellent choice when I want to clean up weakened teams. With the opponent’s Steel-type Pokemon KOed and entry hazards set up, very few Pokemon can avoid a 2HKO from Flygon’s Outrage. The resulting Confusion and obligatory move restriction can be a problem, which is why I avoid spamming Outrage early unless something dangerous (such as Dragon Dance Kingdra) has managed to set up and my other counters or checks are unable to stop it. Earthquake is Flygon’s secondary STAB move. It’s safer to use than Outrage even though there are plenty of common Pokemon immune to Earthquake and no Pokemon immune to Outrage at all because it doesn’t force me to stay in for at least two turns like Outrage does and therefore usually gives my opponent less momentum. It also gets good coverage in UU, especially with Outrage available to complement it. U-turn is probably the move I use most often, since I bring Flygon in throughout the game to scout and pressure the opponent. Its typing is almost irrelevant since its only real purpose is to retain momentum and help me control the game. Stone Edge is my coverage option, since it allows me to hit Pokemon such as Zapdos and Honchkrow harder than Outrage, but I’m considering changing it to Fire Blast in case Sunny Day teams become more common. The EVs give Flygon as much Speed and power as possible. Although I often find myself desiring the power an Adamant nature provides, a Jolly nature is necessary to outspeed threats like Omastar after a Shell Smash or Swift Swim boost.

The Initial Sweeper (The North Wind)

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 56 SAtk / 216 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar

Overview:

Suicune is my first Special sweeper. It works well in conjunction with Raikou because Suicune and Raikou can set up on each other’s counters. Suicune can force out Pokemon such as Rhyperior, Donphan, and Mamoswine with the threat of a super effective Scald, which means that, once these Pokemon suffer from enough entry hazard damage, they can’t wall Raikou anymore. Suicune is also very good at spreading residual damage. Despite lacking instant recovery, Suicune’s bulk is very impressive and its typing is excellent defensively. Its bulk and typing allow it to come in several times throughout the match to check threats and spread residual damage before attempting a sweep. Since this team relies so much on residual damage, Suicune’s ability to increase residual damage through spreading Burn status with Scald or pseudo-Hazing opposing Pokemon with Roar is very useful and important.

Suicune serves as my check to most Fire-type Pokemon in the tier. The only Fire-type Pokemon in UU that Suicune loses to outright is Arcanine. Suicune provides me with another method of dealing with Darmanitan and Chandelure because it can take their hits and retaliate with a super effective Scald. It also checks Houndoom because it can take a Sucker Punch with ease and Houndoom can’t OHKO it without Hidden Power [Grass], a Nasty Plot boost, and a Life Orb. Even then, it requires Stealth Rock or one layer of Spikes to even have a chance of OHKOing Suicune (it has to roll fairly high damage) and only guarantees the OHKO with Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes or three layers of Spikes. Suicune serves as a failsafe against so many things that I can’t imagine this team operating without it. I feel that a bulky Water-type Pokemon is almost a necessity in this metagame, despite the fact that it allows Roserade essentially free reign, because of the enormous utility it provides. In fact, a bulky Water-type Pokemon can even bait Roserade and hit it with Ice Beam as it switches in or double switch to something that can take advantage of Roserade. Suicune’s bulk allows me to check Weavile, which would otherwise run roughshod over my team because Flygon, which is weak to Ice Shard, is the only thing that can outspeed it. Therefore, I need Suicune’s bulk so that I can take a hit and retaliate by Burning, KOing, or weakening Weavile to the point where another member of the team can finish it off.

Suicune helps me deal with opposing support Pokemon because it presents itself as setup bait. When Pokemon such as Blastoise or Roserade switch in, Suicune can Roar them out and force them to take residual damage and receive no gain whatsoever. This helps me retain momentum and wear down the opposing team. If I shuffle out something that Suicune has an advantage against, I have control of the game because, depending on what I think my opponent will do, I can either set up with Suicune or take advantage of an impending switch with Roar or a double switch.

Finally, Suicune is an important check to Rain Dance teams because its enormous bulk and resistance to Water-type attacks allow it to take hits from Swift Swim sweepers and either use Roar to force them out or retaliate with boosted Scalds. Suicune can even set up in certain situations against Rain Dance teams, such as after Kingdra has used Draco Meteor, although I have to make sure that Ludicolo won’t pose a threat to me before going for the sweep.

Suicune is an invaluable member of the team because of the offensive and defensive pressure it places on the opponent, which allows me to control the game more effectively. It is the only Pokemon on the team that really qualifies as a bulky offensive Pokemon, as the rest of the team, barring Deoxys-S, takes advantage of resistances, immunities, and offensive pressure to make safe switches, while Suicune can simply rely on its bulk to get in safely.

Moveset and EV Spread:

Calm Mind fits perfectly with the bulky offensive nature of this Suicune and is the only stat-boosting move besides Double Team that Suicune receives. After a boost or two, Suicune can shrug off even super effective Special attacks and strike back with its own powerful moves. Scald is a reliable STAB attack. I chose it over Surf because of the 30% chance to Burn. While I sometimes wish that I had the extra power from Surf, I feel that the Burn chance makes Scald the more valuable move in the long run. I’ve lost games because I needed Surf’s power, but I’ve also won games thanks to Burns from Scald. Ice Beam provides super effective coverage against Grass-type Pokemon and allows me to hit Pokemon such as Zapdos super effectively. The coverage against Pokemon such as Roserade and Zapdos is valuable because they could otherwise stop my sweep. I often try to hit them on the switch and weaken them to the point where they can’t stop me the next time they come in. Roar is a very useful move. It allows me to win Calm Mind wars, rack up entry hazard damage, scout the opposing team, and check setup sweepers by forcing them out. It allows me to take advantage of Suicune’s impressive bulk and decent Speed to control the game.

The EV spread seems a little complex and unorthodox, but it’s tailored for specific purposes. 216 Speed EVs let me outspeed Adamant Mamoswine, while 236 HP EVs give me 400 HP and therefore additional Leftovers recovery. I wanted to have 401 HP so that I could switch into entry hazards more often, but I needed 56 Special Attack EVs to reach a jump point in Special Attack. A Modest nature allows me to hit harder, since I don’t need to outspeed or tie with Pokemon with 85 Base Speed and a Speed-boosting nature and everything slower; I only need to outspeed Adamant Mamoswine. I originally wanted to outspeed Mamoswine because it threatened Raikou by having enough bulk to comfortably survive a +1 Hidden Power Ice and access to STAB Earthquake.

The Final Sweeper (The God of Thunder)

Raikou @ Leftovers
EVs: 128 HP / 76 Def / 52 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Overview:

Raikou is my main sweeper, which most people would describe as “the star of the show” or something, and normally, in the case of most teams, that’s fairly accurate. However, this team really doesn’t have a star or an MVP. It requires every member to work effectively and perform their separate jobs, and no one job is more important than the others. While Raikou generally cleans up at the end of the game, I am more than capable of cleaning up with whatever Pokemon are still available to me. However, as this team works toward facilitating a Raikou sweep, I try to focus on keeping Raikou alive until the endgame. I consider Raikou the most powerful and threatening setup sweeper in UU. Having tried both Life Orb and Substitute + Calm Mind Raikou, I can safely say that this set is by far the better of the two. A plethora of setup opportunities mean that Raikou wreaks havoc more often than not. It can set up on so much of the UU tier that I almost always have a chance to bring it in and start wrecking opposing teams. It sets up on many of the prominent Pokemon in the tier, such as Roserade, Blastoise, Zapdos, Empoleon, and Froslass. Once Raikou has a Substitute and a few Calm Mind boosts, it’s almost impossible to revenge kill and can OHKO or 2HKO almost all of the UU tier.

I try to avoid using Raikou defensively, but it does check some important things. In particular, it is my best answer to Zapdos, since it can come in on really anything besides Toxic and proceed to set up. While Flygon is immune to Zapdos’s STAB attacks, it can’t OHKO with Stone Edge and loses to Hidden Power Ice. Raikou also scares out Froslass, which is important because the rest of the team has trouble preventing it from setting up Spikes. It can also check Cobalion, Mismagius, and almost everything else slower. Raikou is my best way of defeating Crobat, since it resists Brave Bird and isn’t really affected by anything else Crobat can do.

Raikou is also my offensive answer to Rain Dance teams, along with Flygon. I can bring Raikou in on Tornadus and immediately force the other player to play a mind game by threatening to use Calm Mind or Substitute if the opponent uses Rain Dance or simply OHKO the opposing Tornadus and prevent the use of Rain Dance. Either way, I benefit from the situation if I predict correctly. Rain Dance teams don’t like playing without rain up or facing down a Raikou either behind a Substitute or in possession of a +1 boost to both Special Attack and Special Defense. I can usually defeat at least one member of common Rain Dance teams and then severely weaken or KO the next if Raikou gets a boost or a Substitute.

While I may not have written as much about Raikou as I did about the rest of the team, that does not reflect its importance. Raikou simply performs one main role: sweeping/cleaning. It also provides a primary check to a few Pokemon and a secondary or tertiary check to others, but it should aim to sweep before all else in most games.

Moveset and EV Spread:

Substitute eases prediction and protects Raikou from status. It also allows Raikou to defeat certain Pokemon that it otherwise would not be able to, such as Flygon. Calm Mind is Raikou’s only legal boosting move. Ideally, I would use something like Quiver Dance, but I have to settle for Calm Mind. Thunderbolt provides a powerful and reliable STAB move, which also has good coverage. Hidden Power Ice provides the best coverage out of Raikou’s available coverage moves and also hits the Pokemon that resist or are immune to Raikou’s Electric-type STAB attacks super effectively. The HP and Defense EVs allow Raikou’s Substitute to survive Jolly Choice Scarf Flygon’s U-turn 100% of the time, while 252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature make Raikou as fast as possible. The remaining EVs are allocated toward pumping up Raikou’s Special Attack so that it hits as hard as possible.

Conclusion

Well, that's my team. Feel free to rate it, use it, modify it, or anything else you want. Ask any questions you'd like. It took me forever to write this up and it ended up being like 16 pages long in Microsoft Word, so don't totally ignore it. I really have nothing else to say except that the next post will contain a threat list, and thanks for reading!

Importable

Deoxys-D @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Night Shade
- Taunt

Chandelure (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 48 HP / 208 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Heracross (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Guts
EVs: 72 HP / 220 Atk / 216 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 236 HP / 56 SAtk / 216 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar

Raikou @ Leftovers
EVs: 128 HP / 76 Def / 52 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

*Images and sprites of the Pokemon found at bulbapedia.net and floatzel.net, respectively
*I may edit this at a later date so that it's completely consistent with Smogon's spelling and grammar conventions
*Special thanks go to my tutors, undisputed and Scimjara, for teaching me to not suck at Pokemon, even though they didn't do any UU-specific work with me

Threat Lists

Pokemon I have no trouble with will be in Green.
Pokemon I have some trouble with will be in Orange.
Pokemon I consider major threats will be in Red.
Pokemon I don't see often enough to consider relevant will be in Black.

Offensive Threat List:
-Aerodactyl: I never see these, but Flygon 2HKOs and so does Suicune, so it only ever gets Stealth Rock. Life Orb or Hone Claws sets lose to both Suicune and Flygon.
-Ambipom: I believe that I've only seen one of these once and I don't remember how I handled it, but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a big deal.
-Arcanine: Flygon resists its STAB and is immune to Wild Charge, Suicune can handle it if it comes in on anything except Wild Charge, as can Chandelure. It requires a little bit of prediction but it's not a major issue.
-Azelf: Raikou can set up on it and Flygon outspeeds it. It can set up Stealth Rock, but then the opponents have to deal with boosted Raikou.
-Azumarill: I think I've seen this once, but Suicune walls it.
-Bisharp: Heracross can take a boosted Sucker Punch and OHKO in return. Suicune can force it out with Roar or burn it with Scald.
-Chandelure: Suicune walls it.
-Cobalion: Flygon can revenge-kill it, Raikou can weaken it, Suicune can burn it.
-Crobat: It's dangerous because it can prevent me from setting up hazards and hard counters Heracross, but Raikou and Suicune deal with it quite well.
-Darmanitan: Similar to Arcanine in that it requires prediction to deal with it, but each move is easily walled. Suicune can take pretty much anything, while Chandelure is immune to Flare Blitz and Superpower and Flygon doesn't really care about Earthquake or Rock Slide.
-Durant: Chandelure and Suicune can wall it.
-Eelektross: I honestly don't think that I've ever seen one of these in UU, so I can't really assess whether it's a threat or not.
-Electivire: See Eelektross.
-Escavalier: Walls Raikou, but Chandelure walls it in return.
-Flygon: Dangerous if played well, but Suicune hard counters Choice Scarf variants, while Raikou can outspeed and OHKO Choice Band versions. If all else fails, I can risk a speed tie with my own Flygon.
-Froslass: Dangerous because it can set up Spikes quickly and effectively, but otherwise it has no real offensive presence. Raikou can set up on it.
-Gallade: Heracross and Suicune can handle it.
-Galvantula: I've only seen this once. Flygon is immune to its Electric-type STAB attacks. This can be threatening if played well as I don't really have a solid answer.
-Golurk: Suicune can handle it easily, as can Chandelure.
-Gorebyss: This can get dangerous if I'm stupid, but Suicune and Raikou normally handle it pretty well.
-Heracross: Chandelure counters it very effectively. Suicune or my own Heracross can take a hit in a pinch.
-Honchkrow: Raikou can set up on it, Suicune can retaliate with Ice Beam or Scald. Sucker Punch mindgames aren't too threatening unless my team is weakened.
-Houndoom: Suicune walls most Houndoom variants, and Flygon can take a Sucker Punch and revenge kill it if necessary.
-Kingdra: Dangerous in the rain, but Suicune normally walls it. Dragon Dance versions can be trouble if Suicune is weakened and Flygon is KOed.
-Krookodile: Heracross and Suicune both wall it.
-Lilligant: I've seen this once and it was actually a problem, but it's not common enough for me to really care.
-Machamp: Chandelure and Deoxys-D can deal with Machamp easily.
-Mew: Mew can be troublesome simply because it's so versatile. I can handle all of the different sets, but finding out which set it's running is occasionally costly.
-Mismagius: Heracross beats any set easily. Suicune and Raikou can handle certain variants.
-Moltres: Stealth Rock is my best defense. Raikou outspeeds and OHKOs, Suicune can take its attacks and retaliate with Scald.
-Nidoking: Flygon and Suicune both handily beat Nidoking.
-Ninjask: Ninjask is a joke.
-Omastar: Flygon outspeeds it at +2 and Suicune walls it. Potentially problematic in rain but nowhere else, really.
-Poliwrath: Deoxys-D can set up on it all day, Suicune can force it out but can't do much else, and Raikou can KO it.
-Porygon-Z: Can be dangerous, but I can usually play around it with Chandelure, Suicune, and Flygon.
-Raikou: This is the best sweeper in UU, bar none. I can't think of a single team without Snorlax that it can't threaten somehow.
-Rhyperior: Suicune and Flygon can wall it, while Chandelure can lure it in and dispose of it with Energy Ball.
-Rotom-C: I can wall it with Deoxys, but I usually have to play around it a little bit.
-Rotom-H: Flygon can take just about any of its attacks. Fortunately, most of these guys use Choice Specs or Choice Scarf, so they're easy to play around.
-Sceptile: Fairly rare. Flygon can outspeed and KO.
-Scolipede: It can set up Spikes but it can't do much else. Flygon can outspeed it and threaten it with Stone Edge.
-Scyther: Stealth Rock and Flygon prevent this Pokemon from really being an issue.
-Sharpedo: Dangerous if Suicune, Raikou, or Heracross aren't in good shape. Since it usually comes out at the end of the game, it's a significant danger despite my three checks.
-Shaymin: Dangerous if it's an all-out attacking set. I have to play around it until I can get Flygon or Raikou in safely and force it out. Raikou and Flygon can both KO weakened Shaymin.
-Sigilyph: I have only seen one of these once, and it was basically free setup for Raikou.
-Smeargle: I have never seen a Smeargle in UU to the best of my memory.
-Snorlax: Offensively, it's not an issue. I'm not scared of its attacks as much as I am of its ability to wall two thirds of my team with no trouble whatsoever.
-Stoutland: Can be dangerous, but usually isn't as long as I'm smart with Chandelure.
-Suicune: Raikou and Heracross can handle it fairly easily.
-Togekiss: Raikou can set up on it, as can Suicune.
-Venomoth: Not dangerous in and of itself, but Sleep Powder and its ability to Baton Pass boosts to other Pokemon are really annoying.
-Victini: I can play around Victini with Suicune and Flygon.
-Weavile: This is probably the biggest offensive threat to my team, but I'd still list it as orange/moderate if Night Slash didn't get a critical hit every time I tried to wall Weavile with Suicune. If Suicune is down, Weavile can run right through the rest of my team with a bit of residual damage.
-Yanmega: Yanmega can be dangerous, but Stealth Rock, Suicune's bulk, and Flygon's Speed are usually enough to keep it in check.
-Zoroark: Zoroark's threat level varies depending on what it disguises itself as.

Defensive Threat List:

-Blastoise: Raikou can set up on it, Heracross can 2HKO it, but it’s still an issue because it can get rid of my entry hazards.
-Bronzong: Heracross, Chandelure, and Suicune can all take care of it.
-Claydol: Heracross, Suicune, and Chandelure have the ability to OHKO it.
-Clefable: Heracross and Chandelure can beat it.
-Cresselia: Heracross and Chandelure scare it away.
-Cryogonal: Its Speed means that it can threaten to use Rapid Spin against most of my team, but Chandelure has almost a perfect matchup against it.
-Deoxys-D: Heracross can beat it, but it’s fast enough to set up at least one layer of hazards, so I often have to risk a Speed tie with my own Deoxys-D.
-Drapion: I don’t see Drapion too often, but Heracross can handle it.
-Dusclops: Chandelure matches up almost perfectly against it.
-Dusknoir: See Dusclops
-Empoleon: Heracross, Flygon, and Raikou can all threaten it.
-Ferroseed: It can wall Suicune, but it can’t really do anything else. Chandelure and Heracross have no trouble against it whatsoever.
-Gligar: This guy is an issue as part of a well-played team. I usually resort to weakening the Special wall used to check Suicune or Raikou and then cleaning up Gligar with super effective attacks.
-Hippopotas: Hippopotas can’t really do anything to anything on my team.
-Hitmontop: Chandelure prevents it from removing my hazards.
-Milotic: Raikou and Heracross make short work of it.
-Nidoqueen: This is an issue because it can come in on Heracross and set up Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes. My team really doesn’t like Toxic Spikes.
-Porygon2: Heracross scares it out, and it’s not really a threat to Suicune either.
-Quagsire: I don’t see it often, but entry hazards and Heracross can generally get rid of it.
-Qwilfish: This is a problem because it can set up entry hazards so effectively.
-Registeel: Chandelure and Heracross can come in and force it out.
-Roserade: Anything with Sleep Powder, Toxic Spikes, Spikes, and Roserade’s typing, bulk, and offensive presence is definitely a threat.
-Rotom: I never see Rotom, but Flygon, Raikou, or Heracross can generally deal with it somehow.
-Sableye: Chandelure is not impressed, but Prankster can cause trouble.
-Slowbro: It only really walls Flygon and maybe Suicune, and Flygon can just U-turn out.
-Spiritomb: I never see Spiritomb.
-Swampert: Heracross or Suicune can handle it.
-Tangrowth: Flygon or Chandelure can beat it either in or out of sun.
-Umbreon: Heracross doesn’t care one bit about anything Umbreon can do, and just hits it with a super effective STAB attack.
-Uxie: Its support options make it annoying, but it really doesn’t pose that much of a threat.
-Whimsicott: It’s annoying, but not really dangerous.
-Xatu: I like my entry hazards. Xatu doesn’t. Enough said. I can KO it with several Pokemon, but I can’t set up my entry hazards effectively until it’s gone, so I don’t like it.
-Zapdos: I have a variety of ways to deal with Zapdos.

Upstart

Copy Cat
Really an amazing team. I would like to congratulate you on creating such a cool team and getting such a high rating.

Edit: Also the presentation of the rmt is very good also.

With such reliability on getting up hazards via your deoxys-D, magic bounce xatu's certainly seem to have the potential to throw a wrench in your team if you can't properly dispose of them. Though with such offensive power on your team, i see no reason why you wouldn't be able to deal with a xatu, as they don't have much in way of harming any of your pokemon anyways.

Also, as far as utility roserades and the threat they pose, maybe you could try a taunt chandelure as opposed to a sub set. You then would have a true counter to roserades, especially since your only taunter, deoxys-D, is meant to set up hazards and die.

Just my observations from what ive read, but really nice team, ive been looking into trying out some UU action, but haven't really known where to start in the team building process. I might try this out.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Really good team you have there. What I noticed (even before reading the Threat List) was your big weakness to Weavile. That being said, you might consider changing your Heracross to scarf and flygon to CB (its cool that way because Flygon usually bluffs scarf and you can surprise your opponents) or maybe using a bit more deffensive spread on Suicune.

Anyways, great time and good luck ^^

Seconding DestinyUnknown's suggestion for changing your Heracross to a Choice Scarfed variant. As for Flygon, a mixed set with Fire Blast/Draco Meteor/Earthquake/Roost would work really well with spikes support. Great team otherwise. Will probably throw in a full rate tomorrow.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This team is perfect, or the closest thing to a competitive UU team. I feel that changing the team as is, to deal with one or two threats would be detrimental to how good this team is.

5 stars.

blunder

the bobby fischer of pokemon
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 25 Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Ahhh Yeah! As soon as I saw a CB Heracross, I knew this team would be god. Not only do you have great synergy, but easily the ability to counter almost every threat in UU. Amazing Team :D

What do you do about swampert? He utterly walls both raikou and suicune, can roar them out, and hit raikou with a STAB super-effective EQ. I'd suggest HP grass on raikou, but then roserade would become a problem to raikou, and evey1 luvs usin roserade. And depending on the ev spread, swampert will beat chandelure 1v1 if both are at full health. Not to mention catching chandelure on the craazy obvious switch in.

I'll try to answer everyone as best I can.

Really an amazing team. I would like to congratulate you on creating such a cool team and getting such a high rating.

Edit: Also the presentation of the rmt is very good also.
Thanks for the compliments!

With such reliability on getting up hazards via your deoxys-D, magic bounce xatu's certainly seem to have the potential to throw a wrench in your team if you can't properly dispose of them. Though with such offensive power on your team, i see no reason why you wouldn't be able to deal with a xatu, as they don't have much in way of harming any of your pokemon anyways.

Also, as far as utility roserades and the threat they pose, maybe you could try a taunt chandelure as opposed to a sub set. You then would have a true counter to roserades, especially since your only taunter, deoxys-D, is meant to set up hazards and die.

Just my observations from what ive read, but really nice team, ive been looking into trying out some UU action, but haven't really known where to start in the team building process. I might try this out.
After a bit of testing, I found that the problem with changing Substitute for Taunt on Chandelure is that I don't really use it against Roserade that often because Roserade usually switches out upon encountering Chandelure and I'm usually better served by setting up a Substitute as Roserade flees and hitting the switch-in. Thanks for the suggestion and the compliments, though!

Wow. Great team. I'm not going to make any suggestions because it has already proven itself. Congrats on the ranking! You wouldn't mind if I nominated this for the archive, would you?
I didn't expect anyone to want to nominate this team for the RMT Archive, but I'm certainly not going to say no!

Really good team you have there. What I noticed (even before reading the Threat List) was your big weakness to Weavile. That being said, you might consider changing your Heracross to scarf and flygon to CB (its cool that way because Flygon usually bluffs scarf and you can surprise your opponents) or maybe using a bit more deffensive spread on Suicune.

Anyways, great time and good luck ^^
Thanks! I can try changing Heracross to a Choice Scarf variant and giving Flygon a Choice Band. I'm a bit worried about Flygon's relative lack of power and Heracross's relative lack of Speed, so I'd have to run damage calculations before implementing this as a permanent solution.

Seconding DestinyUnknown's suggestion for changing your Heracross to a Choice Scarfed variant. As for Flygon, a mixed set with Fire Blast/Draco Meteor/Earthquake/Roost would work really well with spikes support. Great team otherwise. Will probably throw in a full rate tomorrow.
It's worth a shot. I don't really like using Heracross with Choice Scarf because so many common users of Choice Scarf outspeed it, but it may be the best solution to this team. I can try that along with mixed Flygon, but that set may leave me rather weak on the physical side. I really rely on Heracross's power to break through Pokemon that wall my sweepers, so I'm not sure that being without a strong physical attacker is really my best option. Thanks for the rate!

This team is perfect, or the closest thing to a competitive UU team. I feel that changing the team as is, to deal with one or two threats would be detrimental to how good this team is.

5 stars.
Thanks, man! That means a lot coming from a player of your caliber, and I think you bring up a good point about how the diversity of the Generation 5 metagame means that every team is weak to something. I have to weigh the potential consequences of any changes carefully so that I don't end up creating more weaknesses than I fix.

Ahhh Yeah! As soon as I saw a CB Heracross, I knew this team would be god. Not only do you have great synergy, but easily the ability to counter almost every threat in UU. Amazing Team :D
Thanks! I appreciate the compliments.

What do you do about swampert? He utterly walls both raikou and suicune, can roar them out, and hit raikou with a STAB super-effective EQ. I'd suggest HP grass on raikou, but then roserade would become a problem to raikou, and evey1 luvs usin roserade. And depending on the ev spread, swampert will beat chandelure 1v1 if both are at full health. Not to mention catching chandelure on the craazy obvious switch in.
Heracross 2HKOs Swampert with either of its STAB moves and Chandelure beats 248 HP / 44 SDef Relaxed Swampert one on one almost all of the time (Swampert needs a low Energy Ball damage roll and a high Earthquake damage roll to come out on top). Suicune also beats Swampert one on one even if Scald doesn't Burn it. Also, that last sentence confuses me. Chandelure is definitely not my primary switch into Swampert. If I bring it in against Swampert at all, it's on a double switch. Otherwise, I'm setting up hazards with Deoxys-D or threatening it out with Heracross or Suicune.

I honestly can't remember what I meant by that last sentence either. Maybe I was thinking of swampert as a spinner or something similarly stupid.

Btw, I got to play against this team on PO, and swampert did give it some issues, but mine is generally bulkier than most and Hera did do a good job of keeping it in check, so I guess your fine there.

Wow, great team. I love the fact that you're using two of my favourite pokemon ever in this team (heracross and suicune :D ). Really nice. The only thing that I would watch out for is foresight blastoise, an under-rated threat, though maybe he isn't common enough to be thoroughly considered.

HO teams I can see could be a problem. Roserade, who is a common lead, out-does deoxys-d, even if you win the speed tie, nothing is going to like a leaf storm except chandelure who will struggle against a sludge bomb especially seeing as the flower out-speeds it. Maybe you could switch to flygon on the s-bomb, that's still relying on winning the speed-tie. As you said, your team hates toxic spikes and roserade sets them up with ease after sleep powdering deoxys. With them up, I think it would just be a matter of time before the sheer mass of sweepers broke you.

Maybe this isn't a problem at all, but if it is, you could try squeezing several roles into less slots, so, for example, you could swap chandelure and deoxys for xatu and frosslass who patch up on their jobs.

Overall, though. Great team. :)

Thank you for sharing the team. I used it to finally get into UU.
The only suggestion I have, is to replace Leftovers on Deoxys with Mental Herb so you can use Taunt on Froslass and other Deoxys, if you lose the speed tie. In some matches it really helped to get hazards up early. I didn't miss Leftovers much as most of the time Deoxys didn't stay in long enough to recover a significant amount of HP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)