Slowbro [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion

Slowbro

[Overview]

<p>Having gained Regenerator, arguably the best ability in the game, through the Dream World, Slowbro is easily one of the top contenders for the title of "Top UU Bulky Water." Its typing is a mixed blessing though, as while it does let it take on Fighting-types, such as Machamp and Cobalion, much more easily than the likes of Suicune or Milotic, it also leaves it vulnerable to Ghost- Dark-, and Bug-type moves, such as U-turn. In addition, one of the more popular Fighting-types, Heracross, will still ruin its day with STAB Megahorn. It's also the one bulky Water-type who Grass-types can't come in on completely safely, thanks to its access to Fire Blast, and in Roserade's case, STAB Psyshock. It can run a multitude of sets, from a great support set, to a threatening Choice Specs set. Thanks to Regenerator, it doesn't have to spend most of its time healing like most other defensive Pokemon do, allowing it to keep up with the offensive pace of the current UU metagame. It's not all peaches for Slowbro though, as its subpar Special Defense and virtually nonexistent Speed stats can come back to haunt it. However, play it properly, and it will always pull its weight for your team.</p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Scald
move 2: Psyshock / Fire Blast
move 3: Slack Off
move 4: Thunder Wave / Toxic
item: Leftovers
ability: Regenerator
nature: Bold
evs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is perfectly suited for balanced teams that need something to take on all Fighting-types, bar Heracross. Scald is Slowbro's primary STAB, and it is a fantastic attack to have due to the 30% chance to burn the opposition. The choice between Psyshock or Fire Blast as the second move is up to you, but keep in mind that Roserade cannot hope to tank the former, making Psyshock the superior choice. Slack Off lets Slowbro heal itself reliably in the event that Regenerator isn't enough. Thunder Wave is the primary choice of status for several reasons, the main one being that the metagame is so offensively oriented. It also lets Slowbro beat Roserade by subsequently blasting it with a STAB Psyshock. Toxic is also a good option, however, especially if your team is having trouble taking down bulkier threats.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The Special Attack EVs guarantee an OHKO on 252 HP / 0 Def Roserade after Stealth Rock damage with Psyshock, while the rest of the EVs maximize health gained from Regenerator and overall physical bulk. There is no need to use any Special Attack EVs if you opt against using Psyshock. Fire Blast is a good move on Slowbro, as it does about 50% damage to the standard Shaymin, who otherwise comes in for free. It also hits things like Cobalion and Escavalier much harder than its STABs. Ice Beam can be used to score an OHKO on Flygon, but you will need to hit it as it switches in, as Flygon tends to simply U-turn out against Slowbro. Grass Knot hits opposing bulky waters moderately hard, but it will be extremely underwhelming with such a low Special Attack investment. Yawn is also a usable support move, since it can force switches to take advantage of entry hazards, but since two of Slowbro's most common switch-ins have Natural Cure, it's really risky.</p>

<p>Slowbro pairs very well with Roserade and Snorlax, and together, they form a defensive core which is really hard to break if the opposition doesn't have Pokemon such as Weavile and Heracross. This set also detests Toxic, meaning cleric support will be very much appreciated. Coincidentally, Roserade has access to Aromatherapy, and can also absorb Toxic Spikes for Slowbro.</p>

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Scald
move 4: Psyshock

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set works best on stall teams which need something that can pose an offensive threat and win Calm Mind wars while keeping a good amount of bulk. Calm Mind is the crux of the set, allowing Slowbro to pull off sweeps by boosting its Special Attack and Special Defense. It also happens to have great synergy with its already amazing Defense. Scald is the primary STAB move because of its high chance to burn the opposition, which is especially useful on this set. Slack Off lets Slowbro heal reliably early in the battle, allowing it to continue tanking hits, but it also lets Slowbro continue boosting in front of Pokemon that can't 2HKO it (be wary of critical hits, though). Psyshock rounds off its coverage, also receiving a STAB boost. Psyshock's ability to hit the opposition's Defense stat is very important because it lets Slowbro win Calm Mind wars much more easily.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Fire Blast or Flamethrower can be used as a coverage move with either one of Slowbro's STAB moves due to their ability to potentially beat some of Slowbro's counters, the most notable being Shaymin. Slowbro's coverage would be different, but not necessarily worse, as Fire- has good overall coverage with either one of Slowbro's STAB moves. If you plan on using this set as your main sweeper, you need to make absolutely sure that Toxic Spikes are removed. Because of this, Roserade is a very appealing partner to this set. As a bonus, it can also use Aromatherapy if Slowbro happens to get hit with a Toxic. Slowbro appreciates having Milotic and Suicune removed from the opposing team, so pairing it with something that can lure and KO them is a good idea. Expert Belt Mixed Victini is a good example of this, as the lack of Life Orb recoil will lure the aforementioned Pokemon in, allowing it to use Thunder(bolt) to heavily damage, or outright KO, those two.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 1: Scald / Surf
move 2: Psychic / Psyshock
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Grass Knot / Slack Off
item: Choice Specs / Life Orb
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set encompasses a more offensive approach to a typically defensive pokemon, which will take most opponents by surprise. Despite the offensive nature of the set, Scald is still the superior choice to Surf as the primary STAB move, as no important KOs are missed, and the chance to burn the opposition is too good to pass up. However, Psychic becomes the primary option for the secondary STAB move here, as this set has enough power to muscle past incoming Roserade even without hitting its weaker Defense stat. Psyshock is still usable for Snorlax and other specially defensive Pokemon, however. Fire Blast scores an OHKO on standard Shaymin, Cobalion, Escavalier, and max HP Bronzong; it also does a number on Registeel. Grass Knot hits opposing bulky Water-types harder than anything else on the set; however, Slack Off can replace it if you opt to use Life Orb, as Psychic still hits them quite hard.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The main reason behind this set's effectiveness is undoubtedly Regenerator, as it gives Slowbro the opportunity to remain healthy despite being a slow offensive Pokemon. The EVs are simple: 252 Special Attack EVs and a Modest nature are used in order to maximize its damage output, 252 HP EVs optimize bulk, and 4 Speed EVs let Slowbro outpace uninvested Snorlax and opposing Slowbro. While Ice Beam might seem like an appealing option for this set, it doesn't offer coverage on anything that the listed moves do not hit. Unfortunately, due to breeding restrictions, Slowbro is unable to use Trick with Regenerator. Focus Blast can be used, but it only covers a single additional threat: Empoleon.</p>

<p>Due to Slowbro's virtually nonexistent Speed stat, this set truly appreciates paralysis support from the likes of Togekiss and Deoxys-D. Additionally, because of its utter reliance on Regenerator to keep healthy, Slowbro also prefers entry hazards to be removed from its side. Hitmontop is an excellent spinner that can also take Bug- and Dark-type attacks for Slowbro with ease, namely STAB Megahorn from Heracross. Other than that, however, this set is quite self-sufficient and should do just fine on just about any offensive team; just don't expect it to tank hits nearly as well as the above sets.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Slowbro has a decently sized movepool, both offensively and defensively, giving it plenty of alternatives it can viably use. Most of its offensive options have been covered above, but a few support options have not; the most notable are Disable, Light Screen, Psych Up, and Safeguard, any of which can be used if your team is in need of such support. Trick Room gets a special mention, as Slowbro is arguably the most reliable user of it. Aside from the moves listed in the above sets, Slowbro also has access to offensive options such as Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, and Focus Blast, which while interesting, provide redundant coverage for the most part.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>When it comes to defensive Slowbro sets, Shaymin is probably public enemy #1, since it only takes about half from an uninvested Fire Blast, has Natural Cure to heal status, and can smack Slowbro with a Seed Flare. Roserade can come in on anything but Fire Blast and Psyshock and threaten it with Sleep Powder, Giga Drain, or Leaf Storm. Deoxys-D can usually come in and start setting up Spikes or even Taunt Slowbro's attempts at Calm Minding. Rest variants of Dragon Dance Kingdra can literally set up on anything that Slowbro throws at it, bar a Choice Specs Psychic, and proceed to obliterate it with Outrage. Zapdos and Raikou fear status, but are otherwise pretty safe switch-ins. Opposing bulky waters, especially ones with Rest, also do just fine versus Slowbro.Heracross's Bug typing means that Slowbro will usually shy away from the giant beatle, which is a shame considering it is one of the premier physical walls in UU.</p>

Yeah you don't need to merge CM with the tank set. They play very differently and serve completely different purposes on teams, worthy of two different sets.

TR on the other hand doesn't deserve a set. Keep it OO.

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
248 HP EVs give you an HP stat of 393, which maximizes the HP gained from Regenerator since it is divisible by 3. It really doesn't make a big difference either way, but it may be useful.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why all this contempt for the TR set? It is one of the most viable TR setters and can abuse it very well with it's good S.Atk and godly ability that allows him to set it up multiple times. If Bronzong has one i don't get why Slowbro shouldn't...

kokoloko

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Yeah you don't need to merge CM with the tank set. They play very differently and serve completely different purposes on teams, worthy of two different sets.

TR on the other hand doesn't deserve a set. Keep it OO.
Idk man. In theory, sure, the CM and Support sets play a bit differently; but in practice, the vast majority of the time they're doing the same thing - come in on Machamp / Darmanitan / Cobalion / whatever, fire off a Scald and switch out next turn. I mean, I don't mind writing both, I just feel that the write up will be extremely similar when I do, lol.

248 HP EVs give you an HP stat of 393, which maximizes the HP gained from Regenerator since it is divisible by 3. It really doesn't make a big difference either way, but it may be useful.
To be honest, that's what I usually use. I find that sticking to odd numbers in HP is usually best. I'm going to use this, since its especially useful with CM, as it lets you boost slightly better when you have even numbers in the stats you're boosting.

Why all this contempt for the TR set? It is one of the most viable TR setters and can abuse it very well with it's good S.Atk and godly ability that allows him to set it up multiple times. If Bronzong has one i don't get why Slowbro shouldn't...
TR has always been a subpar strategy, and just because something gets TR and can use it more effectively than other stuff, it doesn't make TR good.

So yeah, I'll be removing the TR set now. An OO mention is more than enough imo.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So Bronzong deserves a TR analysis, but Slowbro that hits harder, with better coverage and has way more survivability doesn't huh? Seems logical...

kokoloko

That's the thing, Bronzong doesn't deserve a TR analysis. Nothing does.

Having an analysis =/= meriting one.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
That's the thing, Bronzong doesn't deserve a TR analysis. Nothing does.

Having an analysis =/= meriting one.
Whatever i thought we wanted to be staple about our policies. If a worse TR abuser has a TR set while it doesn't deserve to, then i guess this doesn't deserve also lol. Not that i agree but whatever. You guys know better.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Alexwolf, this isn't VGC, Trick Room is actually really, really bad. To make matters worse, Trick Room teams have absolutely no defense against Taunt (even Dusclops can Taunt them), whereas with Rain Dance/Sunny Day, you have shit like Prankster Sableye to basically guarantee it, and items that increase the duration. I've faced many Trick Room teams, and found the battles rather mediocre. You set up TR, get in your sweeper, and you already only have 3 turns left to start hitting things.

Not to mention, you can simply run Pokemon that can actually hit hard and actually outspeed things, like Azelf. Seems much easier than wasting time setting up Trick Room.

Offensive Trick Room teams work well in OU, though I have yet to see a good one in UU. Most Trick Room teams run Bronzong, though. I don't think Slowbro would be a reliable user of TR to merit a set on-site.

The analysis of one Pokemon has no impact on another. If you don't think Bronzong deserves a TR set bring it up in the discussion thread.

kokoloko, the main differences between CM and Tank sets are the teammates you surround them with. CM Slowbro actually beats dangerous stallbreakers like CM Suicune and most forms of boosting Mew, whereas using a status move is better suited to supporting sweepers like Togekiss, powerful choiced users like Yanmega, or stuff that really likes Zapdos poisoned like Cobalion. More generally, I think CM works better on full stall teams and the Tank set works better on balanced teams. This isn't theorymon, I have a lot of experience using both sets.

Also the tank set needs 16 SpA EVs to guarantee an OHKO on 252/0 Roserade after SR. Worth the extra 8 EVs. I'm also doubting using Scald over Surf or Hydro Pump on the offensive set, I'll need to test that out. Rest of the analysis looks good though.

kokoloko

I have plenty of experience using every Slowbro variant, and in practice they really do end up playing extremely similarly, but I do see your point. I'll keep them separate.

I never realized it wasn't already guaranteed with 8, lol. I'll move the extra 8 EVs from Def to SpA, then. Should I do this for both the CM and the Tank set? Seems worth it.

Also, Slowbro doesn't get Hydro Pump, unfortunately; and Scald's gayness rate is just too good to pass up imo.

no, definitely separate them. they play completely differently. everything else looks good on my end

QC APPROVED (1/3)

kokoloko

Okay, I put up a skeleton for the CM set. The AC section seems kind of naked though... I feel like I'm missing something.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Alexwolf, this isn't VGC, Trick Room is actually really, really bad. To make matters worse, Trick Room teams have absolutely no defense against Taunt (even Dusclops can Taunt them), whereas with Rain Dance/Sunny Day, you have shit like Prankster Sableye to basically guarantee it, and items that increase the duration. I've faced many Trick Room teams, and found the battles rather mediocre. You set up TR, get in your sweeper, and you already only have 3 turns left to start hitting things.

Not to mention, you can simply run Pokemon that can actually hit hard and actually outspeed things, like Azelf. Seems much easier than wasting time setting up Trick Room.
I am not going to argue whether TR is viable or not, but again why Bronzong deserves a TR anlysis and Slowbro not?

Offensive Trick Room teams work well in OU, though I have yet to see a good one in UU. Most Trick Room teams run Bronzong, though. I don't think Slowbro would be a reliable user of TR to merit a set on-site.
Imo Slowbro is better and more reliable than Bronzong. It has better offensive presence, better coverage, better physical bulk and much greater survivability with Regenerator and Slack Off.

The analysis of one Pokemon has no impact on another. If you don't think Bronzong deserves a TR set bring it up in the discussion thread.
Oh yeah? So TR is a gimmicky strategy for all other pokes except Bronzong right? Of 'course the analysis of one poke has impact on an others. You can't say that TR sets are not worth a set while you already have one mon with such a set. It is contradictory.
Not to mention that Slowbro is better in setting up TR, due to the factors that i mentioned above.

Alexwolf, you're welcome to do one of two things:
1. Write up a TR Slowbro set and try to pass it through QC
2. Post in the discussion thread about why you don't think Bronzong deserves a TR set
Either way, base your opinions on the merits of the pokemon in question and not the merits of similar pokemon. That is C&C policy. Whatever you do, stop cluttering this thread.

anyway QC APPROVED 2/3

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
add/replace with
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>Having gained Regenerator, arguably the best ability in the game through the Dream World, Regenerator, Slowbro is easily one of the top contenders for the title of "Top UU Bulky Water." His typing is a mixed blessing though, as while it does let him take on Fighting-types like Machamp and Cobalion much easier than the likes of Suicune or Milotic, it also leaves him vulnerable to Ghost- and Dark-type moves, such as Pursuit. In addition, one of the more popular Fighting-types, Heracross, will still ruin his day with STAB Megahorn. He's also the one bulky water who Grass-types can't come in on completely safely, thanks to his access to Fire Blast, and in Roserade's case, STAB Psyshock. He can run a multitude of sets, from a great support set, to a threatening Choice Specs set. Thanks to Regenerator, he doesn't have to spend most of his time healing like most other defensive Pokemon do, allowing it to keep up with the offensive pace of the current UU metagame. It's not all peaches for Slowbro though, as its subpar Special Defense and virtually nonexistent Speed stats can come back to haunt it. However, play it properly, and it will always pull more than its fair share of weight for your team.</p>

[SET]
move 2: Psyshock / Psychic

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is perfectly suited for balanced teams that need something to take on non-Heracross Fighting-types. Scald is his primary STAB, and it is a fantastic one to have due to the 30% chance to burn the opposition. The choice between Psyshock or Psychic as secondary STAB is up to you, but keep in mind that Roserade cannot hope to tank the former, making it the superior choice. Slack Off lets Slowbro heal itself reliably in the event that Regenerator isn't enough. Thunder Wave is the primary choice of status for several reasons, the main one being that the metagame is so offensively oriented. It also lets you beat Roserade if it comes into it, by subsequently blasting it with a STAB Psyshock. Toxic is also a good option, however, especially if your team is having trouble taking down bulkier threats.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The Special Attack EVs guarantee an OHKO on 252 HP / 0 Def Roserade after Stealth Rock damage with Psyshock, while the rest of the EVs maximize health gained from Regenerator and overall physical bulk. There is no need to use any Special Attack EVs if you opt against using Psyshock. Fire Blast is a good move on Slowbro, as it does about half to the standard Shaymin, whom otherwise comes in for free. It also hits things like Cobalion and Escavalier much harder than his STABs. Ice Beam can be used to score and OHKO on Flygon, but he can't touch you regardless, so it doesn't offer much coverage (Useless isn't the word to use as this is an analysis, and if it's useless, it shouldn't really be mentioned). Grass Knot hits opposing bulky waters moderately hard, but it will be extremely underwhelming with such a low SpA investment. Yawn is also a usable support move, since it can force switches to take advantage of entry hazards, but since two of Slowbro's most common switch-ins have Natural Cure, it's really risky.</p>

<p>Slowbro pairs very well with Roserade and Snorlax, as together they form a defensive core which is really hard to break outside of pokemon like Weavile and Heracross. This set also detests Toxic, meaning cleric support will be very much appreciated. Coincidentally, Roserade has access to Aromatherapy and can absorb Toxic Spikes for Slowbro.</p>

[SET]
move 4: Psyshock / Psychic

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set works best on stall teams which need something that can pose an offensive threat while keeping a good amount of bulk. Calm Mind is the crux of the set, allowing Slowbro to pull off sweeps by boosting its Special Attack and Special Defense. simultaneously. It also happens to have great synergy with his already amazing Defense. Scald is the primary STAB because of the high chance to burn the opposition, which is especially useful on this set, due to its ability to boost its SpD. Slack Off lets you heal reliably early in the battle to continue tanking hits, but it also lets Slowbro continue boosting in front of Pokemon that can't 2HKO him (be weary of critical hits, though). Psyshock or Psychic round out coverage, also receiving a STAB boost, and once again, you have to pick which targets you want to hit harder, but in this case, Psyshock's ability to hit the opposition's Defense stat is even more important, because it lets Slowbro win Calm Mind wars much more easily.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set's EVs might look familiar, as they are the same as the above set's; they also server the same purpose. Fire Blast or Flamethrower can be used as a coverage move with either one of Slowbro's STAB moves, due to its ability to potentially beat some of its counters, most notably, Shaymin. Slowbro's coverage would be different, but not necessarily worse, as Water- / Fire- and Psychic- / Fire- both have pretty good overall coverage. If you plan on using this set as your main sweeper, you need to make absolutely sure Toxic Spikes aren't down on your side. Because of this, Roserade is a very appealing partner to this set. As a bonus, it can also use Aromatherapy if Slowbro happens to get hit with a Toxic. This set appreciates having Milotic and Suicune removed from the opposing team, so pairing it with something that can lure out and KO them is a good idea. Expert Belt Mixed Victini is a good example of this, as the lack of LO recoil will make people think its Scarfed, allowing it to use Thunder(bolt) to heavily damage, or outright KO, those two. </p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set encompasses a more offensive approach to a typically defensive pokemon, which will take most opponents by surprise. Despite the offensive nature of the set, Scald is still the superior choice to Surf as primary STAB, as no important KOs are missed and the chance to burn the opposition is too good to pass up. However, Psychic becomes the primary option for secondary STAB here, because this set has enough power to muscle past incoming Roserade even without hitting its weaker Defense. Psyshock is still usable for Snorlax, and other specially defensive Pokemon, however. Fire Blast scores an OHKO on standard Shaymin, Cobalion, Escavalier, and max HP Bronzong. It also does a number on Registeel. Grass Knot hits opposing bulky waters harder than anything else on the set; however, Slack Off can replace it if you opt to use Life Orb, as Psychic still hits them quite hard.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The main reason behind this set's effectiveness is undoubtedly Regenerator, as it gives Slowbro the opportunity to remain healthy despite being a slow offensive Pokemon. The EVs are simple: 252 SpA EVs and a Modest nature are used in order to maximize damage output, 252 HP EVs optimize bulk, and 4 Speed let Slowbro outpace uninvested Snorlax and opposing Slowbro. While Ice Beam might seem like an appealing option for this set, it doesn't offer coverage on anything that the listed moves do not hit. Unfortunately, due to breeding restrictions, Slowbro is unable to use Trick with Regenerator., making it a poor option as well. Focus Blast can be used, but it literally only covers a single additional threat: Empoleon.</p>

<p>Due to Slowbro's virtually nonexistent Speed stat, this set truly appreciates paralysis support from the likes of Togekiss and Deoxys-D. Additionally, because of his utter reliance on Regenerator for keeping healthy, Slowbro also prefers entry hazards to be removed from his side. Hitmontop is an excellent spinner that can also take Bug- and Dark-type moves for Slowbro with ease. Other than that, however, this set is quite self-sufficient and should do just fine in just about any offensive team; just don't expect it to tank hits nearly as well as the above sets.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Slowbro has quite a decently sized movepool, both offensively and defensively, giving him plenty of alternatives he can viably use. Most of his offensive options have been covered above, but a few support options have not; the most notable are Disable, Light Screen, Psych Up, and Safeguard, any of which can be used if your team is in need of such support. Trick Room gets a special mention, as Slowbro is arguably the most reliable setter of it. Aside from the moves listed in the above sets, Slowbro also has access to offensive options such as Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, and Focus Blast, which while interesting, provide redundant coverage for the most part.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

When it comes to defensive Slowbro sets, Shaymin is probably public enemy #1, since it only takes about half from an uninvested Fire Blast, has Natural Cure to heal status, and can smack him with a Seed Flare. Roserade can come in on anything but Fire Blast and Psyshock and threaten it with Sleep Powder, Giga Drain, or Leaf Storm. Deoxys-D can usually come in and start setting up Spikes or even Taunt Slowbro's attempts at Calm Minding. Rest variants of Dragon Dance Kingdra can literally set up on anything that Slowbro throws at it, bar a Choice Specs Psychic, and proceed to obliterate it with Outrage. Zapdos and Raikou fear status, but are otherwise pretty safe switch-ins. Opposing bulky waters, especially ones with Rest, also do just fine versus Slowbro.</p>

GP Approved (1/2)

[Overview]

<p>Having gained Regenerator, arguably the best ability in the game, through the Dream World, Slowbro is easily one of the top contenders for the title of "Top UU Bulky Water." HiIts typing is a mixed blessing though, as while it does let himit take on Fighting-types like, such as Machamp and Cobalion, much easiermore easily than the likes of Suicune or Milotic, it also leaves himit vulnerable to Ghost- and Dark-type moves, such as Pursuit. In addition, one of the more popular Fighting-types, Heracross, will still ruin hiits day with STAB Megahorn. HeIt's also the one bulky water who Grass-types can't come in on completely safely, thanks to hiits access to Fire Blast, and in Roserade's case, STAB Psyshock. HeIt can run a multitude of sets, from a great support set, to a threatening Choice Specs set. Thanks to Regenerator, heit doesn't have to spend most of hiits time healing like most other defensive Pokemon do, allowing it to keep up with the offensive pace of the current UU metagame. It's not all peaches for Slowbro though, as its subpar Special Defense and virtually nonexistent Speed stats can come back to haunt it. However, play it properly, and it will always pull more than its fair share of weight for your team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is perfectly suited for balanced teams that need something to take on non-Heracross Fighting-typeall Fighting-types, bar Heracross. Scald is hiSlowbro's primary STAB, and it is a fantastic one to have due to the 30% chance to burn the opposition. The choice between Psyshock or Psychic as the secondary STAB is up to you, but keep in mind that Roserade cannot hope to tank the former, making it the superior choice. Slack Off lets Slowbro heal itself reliably in the event that Regenerator isn't enough. Thunder Wave is the primary choice of status for several reasons, the main one being that the metagame is so offensively oriented. It also lets youSlowbro beat Roserade by subsequently blasting it with a STAB Psyshock. Toxic is also a good option, however, especially if your team is having trouble taking down bulkier threats.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The Special Attack EVs guarantee an OHKO on 252 HP / 0 Def Roserade after Stealth Rock damage with Psyshock, while the rest of the EVs maximize health gained from Regenerator and overall physical bulk. There is no need to use any Special Attack EVs if you opt against using Psyshock. Fire Blast is a good move on Slowbro, as it does about half to the standard Shaymin, who otherwise comes in for free. It also hits things like Cobalion and Escavalier much harder than hiits STABs. Ice Beam can be used to score an OHKO on Flygon, but he can't touch you regardless, so it doesn't offer much coverage. Grass Knot hits opposing bulky waters moderately hard, but it will be extremely underwhelming with such a low SpA investment. Yawn is also a usable support move, since it can force switches to take advantage of entry hazards, but since two of Slowbro's most common switch-ins have Natural Cure, it's really risky.</p>

<p>Slowbro pairs very well with Roserade and Snorlax, asnd together, they form a defensive core which is really hard to break outside of pokemon likeif the opposition doesn't have Pokemon such as Weavile and Heracross. This set also detests Toxic, meaning cleric support will be very much appreciated. Coincidentally, Roserade has access to Aromatherapy, and can also absorb Toxic Spikes for Slowbro.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set works best on stall teams which need something that can pose an offensive threat while keeping a good amount of bulk. Calm Mind is the crux of the set, allowing Slowbro to pull off sweeps by boosting hiits Special Attack and Special Defense. It also happens to have great synergy with hiits already amazing Defense. Scald is the primary STAB move because of theits high chance to burn the opposition, which is especially useful on this set, due to its ability to boost its SpDSlowbro's Special Defense. Slack Off lets youSlowbro heal reliably early in the battle, allowing it to continue tanking hits, but it also lets Slowbro continue boosting in front of Pokemon that can't 2HKO himit (be wary of critical hits, though). Psyshock or Psychic rounds out coverage, each of them also receiving a STAB boost, and; once again, you have to pick which targets you want to hit harder, but in this case, Psyshock's ability to hit the opposition's Defense stat is even more important because it lets Slowbro win Calm Mind wars much more easily.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set's EVs might look familiar, as they are the same as the above set's; they also serve the same purpose. Fire Blast or Flamethrower can be used as a coverage move with either one of Slowbro's STAB moves due to itstheir ability to potentially beat some of itSlowbro's counters, the most notably,e being Shaymin. Slowbro's coverage would be different, but not necessarily worse, as Water- / Fire- and Psychic- / Fire- both have pretty good overall coverage. If you plan on using this set as your main sweeper, you need to make absolutely sure Toxic Spikes aren't down on your side. Because of this, Roserade is a very appealing partner to this set. As a bonus, it can also use Aromatherapy if Slowbro happens to get hit with a Toxic. This set appreciates having Milotic and Suicune removed from the opposing team, so pairing it with something that can lure and KO them is a good idea. Expert Belt Mixed Victini is a good example of this, as the lack of LOife Orb recoil will make people think its Scarfed, allowing it to use Thunder(bolt) to heavily damage, or outright KO, those two.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set encompasses a more offensive approach to a typically defensive pokemon, which will take most opponents by surprise. Despite the offensive nature of the set, Scald is still the superior choice to Surf as the primary STAB move, as no important KOs are missed, and the chance to burn the opposition is too good to pass up. However, Psychic becomes the primary option for the secondary STAB move here, becauseas this set has enough power to muscle past incoming Roserade even without hitting its weaker Defense stat. Psyshock is still usable for Snorlax, and other specially defensive Pokemon, however. Fire Blast scores an OHKO on standard Shaymin, Cobalion, Escavalier, and max HP Bronzong. I; it also does a number on Registeel. Grass Knot hits opposing bulky waters harder than anything else on the set; however, Slack Off can replace it if you opt to use Life Orb, as Psychic still hits them quite hard.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The main reason behind this set's effectiveness is undoubtedly Regenerator, as it gives Slowbro the opportunity to remain healthy despite being a slow offensive Pokemon. The EVs are simple: 252 SpAecial Attack EVs and a Modest nature are used in order to maximize damage output, 252 HP EVs optimize bulk, and 4 Speed EVs let Slowbro outpace uninvested Snorlax and opposing Slowbro. While Ice Beam might seem like an appealing option for this set, it doesn't offer coverage on anything that the listed moves do not hit. Unfortunately, due to breeding restrictions, Slowbro is unable to use Trick with Regenerator. Focus Blast can be used, but it only covers a single additional threat: Empoleon.</p>

<p>Due to Slowbro's virtually nonexistent Speed stat, this set truly appreciates paralysis support from the likes of Togekiss and Deoxys-D. Additionally, because of hiits utter reliance on Regenerator forto keeping healthy, Slowbro also prefers entry hazards to be removed from hiits side. Hitmontop is an excellent spinner that can also take Bug- and Dark-type moves for Slowbro with ease. Other than that, however, this set is quite self-sufficient and should do just fine in just about any offensive team; just don't expect it to tank hits nearly as well as the above sets.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Slowbro has a decently sized movepool, both offensively and defensively, giving him plenty of alternatives he can viably use. Most of hiits offensive options have been covered above, but a few support options have not; the most notable are Disable, Light Screen, Psych Up, and Safeguard, any of which can be used if your team is in need of such support. Trick Room gets a special mention, as Slowbro is arguably the most reliable setter of it. Aside from the moves listed in the above sets, Slowbro also has access to offensive options such as Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, and Focus Blast, which while interesting, provide redundant coverage for the most part.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

When it comes to defensive Slowbro sets, Shaymin is probably public enemy #1, since it only takes about half from an uninvested Fire Blast, has Natural Cure to heal status, and can smack himSlowbro with a Seed Flare. Roserade can come in on anything but Fire Blast and Psyshock and threaten it with Sleep Powder, Giga Drain, or Leaf Storm. Deoxys-D can usually come in and start setting up Spikes or even Taunt Slowbro's attempts at Calm Minding. Rest variants of Dragon Dance Kingdra can literally set up on anything that Slowbro throws at it, bar a Choice Specs Psychic, and proceed to obliterate it with Outrage. Zapdos and Raikou fear status, but are otherwise pretty safe switch-ins. Opposing bulky waters, especially ones with Rest, also do just fine versus Slowbro.</p>

GP Approved 2/2

Copypastable version:
[Overview]

<p>Having gained Regenerator, arguably the best ability in the game, through the Dream World, Slowbro is easily one of the top contenders for the title of "Top UU Bulky Water." Its typing is a mixed blessing though, as while it does let it take on Fighting-types, such as Machamp and Cobalion, much more easily than the likes of Suicune or Milotic, it also leaves it vulnerable to Ghost- and Dark-type moves, such as Pursuit. In addition, one of the more popular Fighting-types, Heracross, will still ruin its day with STAB Megahorn. It's also the one bulky water who Grass-types can't come in on completely safely, thanks to its access to Fire Blast, and in Roserade's case, STAB Psyshock. It can run a multitude of sets, from a great support set, to a threatening Choice Specs set. Thanks to Regenerator, it doesn't have to spend most of its time healing like most other defensive Pokemon do, allowing it to keep up with the offensive pace of the current UU metagame. It's not all peaches for Slowbro though, as its subpar Special Defense and virtually nonexistent Speed stats can come back to haunt it. However, play it properly, and it will always pull more than its fair share of weight for your team.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is perfectly suited for balanced teams that need something to take on all Fighting-types, bar Heracross. Scald is Slowbro's primary STAB, and it is a fantastic one to have due to the 30% chance to burn the opposition. The choice between Psyshock or Psychic as the secondary STAB is up to you, but keep in mind that Roserade cannot hope to tank the former, making it the superior choice. Slack Off lets Slowbro heal itself reliably in the event that Regenerator isn't enough. Thunder Wave is the primary choice of status for several reasons, the main one being that the metagame is so offensively oriented. It also lets Slowbro beat Roserade by subsequently blasting it with a STAB Psyshock. Toxic is also a good option, however, especially if your team is having trouble taking down bulkier threats.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The Special Attack EVs guarantee an OHKO on 252 HP / 0 Def Roserade after Stealth Rock damage with Psyshock, while the rest of the EVs maximize health gained from Regenerator and overall physical bulk. There is no need to use any Special Attack EVs if you opt against using Psyshock. Fire Blast is a good move on Slowbro, as it does about half to the standard Shaymin, who otherwise comes in for free. It also hits things like Cobalion and Escavalier much harder than its STABs. Ice Beam can be used to score an OHKO on Flygon, but it can't touch you regardless, so it doesn't offer much coverage. Grass Knot hits opposing bulky waters moderately hard, but it will be extremely underwhelming with such a low SpA investment. Yawn is also a usable support move, since it can force switches to take advantage of entry hazards, but since two of Slowbro's most common switch-ins have Natural Cure, it's really risky.</p>

<p>Slowbro pairs very well with Roserade and Snorlax, and together, they form a defensive core which is really hard to break if the opposition doesn't have Pokemon such as Weavile and Heracross. This set also detests Toxic, meaning cleric support will be very much appreciated. Coincidentally, Roserade has access to Aromatherapy, and can also absorb Toxic Spikes for Slowbro.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set works best on stall teams which need something that can pose an offensive threat while keeping a good amount of bulk. Calm Mind is the crux of the set, allowing Slowbro to pull off sweeps by boosting its Special Attack and Special Defense. It also happens to have great synergy with its already amazing Defense. Scald is the primary STAB move because of its high chance to burn the opposition, which is especially useful on this set, due to its ability to boost Slowbro's Special Defense. Slack Off lets Slowbro heal reliably early in the battle, allowing it to continue tanking hits, but it also lets Slowbro continue boosting in front of Pokemon that can't 2HKO it (be wary of critical hits, though). Psyshock or Psychic rounds out coverage, each of them also receiving a STAB boost; once again, you have to pick which targets you want to hit harder, but in this case, Psyshock's ability to hit the opposition's Defense stat is even more important because it lets Slowbro win Calm Mind wars much more easily.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set's EVs might look familiar, as they are the same as the above set's; they also serve the same purpose. Fire Blast or Flamethrower can be used as a coverage move with either one of Slowbro's STAB moves due to their ability to potentially beat some of Slowbro's counters, the most notable being Shaymin. Slowbro's coverage would be different, but not necessarily worse, as Water- / Fire- and Psychic- / Fire- both have pretty good overall coverage. If you plan on using this set as your main sweeper, you need to make absolutely sure Toxic Spikes aren't down on your side. Because of this, Roserade is a very appealing partner to this set. As a bonus, it can also use Aromatherapy if Slowbro happens to get hit with a Toxic. This set appreciates having Milotic and Suicune removed from the opposing team, so pairing it with something that can lure and KO them is a good idea. Expert Belt Mixed Victini is a good example of this, as the lack of Life Orb recoil will make people think its Scarfed, allowing it to use Thunder(bolt) to heavily damage, or outright KO, those two.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set encompasses a more offensive approach to a typically defensive pokemon, which will take most opponents by surprise. Despite the offensive nature of the set, Scald is still the superior choice to Surf as the primary STAB move, as no important KOs are missed, and the chance to burn the opposition is too good to pass up. However, Psychic becomes the primary option for the secondary STAB move here, as this set has enough power to muscle past incoming Roserade even without hitting its weaker Defense stat. Psyshock is still usable for Snorlax and other specially defensive Pokemon, however. Fire Blast scores an OHKO on standard Shaymin, Cobalion, Escavalier, and max HP Bronzong; it also does a number on Registeel. Grass Knot hits opposing bulky waters harder than anything else on the set; however, Slack Off can replace it if you opt to use Life Orb, as Psychic still hits them quite hard.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The main reason behind this set's effectiveness is undoubtedly Regenerator, as it gives Slowbro the opportunity to remain healthy despite being a slow offensive Pokemon. The EVs are simple: 252 Special Attack EVs and a Modest nature are used in order to maximize damage output, 252 HP EVs optimize bulk, and 4 Speed EVs let Slowbro outpace uninvested Snorlax and opposing Slowbro. While Ice Beam might seem like an appealing option for this set, it doesn't offer coverage on anything that the listed moves do not hit. Unfortunately, due to breeding restrictions, Slowbro is unable to use Trick with Regenerator. Focus Blast can be used, but it only covers a single additional threat: Empoleon.</p>

<p>Due to Slowbro's virtually nonexistent Speed stat, this set truly appreciates paralysis support from the likes of Togekiss and Deoxys-D. Additionally, because of its utter reliance on Regenerator to keep healthy, Slowbro also prefers entry hazards to be removed from its side. Hitmontop is an excellent spinner that can also take Bug- and Dark-type moves for Slowbro with ease. Other than that, however, this set is quite self-sufficient and should do just fine in just about any offensive team; just don't expect it to tank hits nearly as well as the above sets.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Slowbro has a decently sized movepool, both offensively and defensively, giving it plenty of alternatives it can viably use. Most of its offensive options have been covered above, but a few support options have not; the most notable are Disable, Light Screen, Psych Up, and Safeguard, any of which can be used if your team is in need of such support. Trick Room gets a special mention, as Slowbro is arguably the most reliable setter of it. Aside from the moves listed in the above sets, Slowbro also has access to offensive options such as Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, and Focus Blast, which while interesting, provide redundant coverage for the most part.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

When it comes to defensive Slowbro sets, Shaymin is probably public enemy #1, since it only takes about half from an uninvested Fire Blast, has Natural Cure to heal status, and can smack Slowbro with a Seed Flare. Roserade can come in on anything but Fire Blast and Psyshock and threaten it with Sleep Powder, Giga Drain, or Leaf Storm. Deoxys-D can usually come in and start setting up Spikes or even Taunt Slowbro's attempts at Calm Minding. Rest variants of Dragon Dance Kingdra can literally set up on anything that Slowbro throws at it, bar a Choice Specs Psychic, and proceed to obliterate it with Outrage. Zapdos and Raikou fear status, but are otherwise pretty safe switch-ins. Opposing bulky waters, especially ones with Rest, also do just fine versus Slowbro.</p>

kokoloko

Wait wait, I'm confused. I thought we were supposed to use "he / she" as opposed to "it" in analysis? Also, your check wasn't consistent with this throughout the analysis o.O

So yeah, what do?

PS: The copypastable version helps sooo much.<3

Wait wait, I'm confused. I thought we were supposed to use "he / she" as opposed to "it" in analysis? Also, your check wasn't consistent with this throughout the analysis o.O

So yeah, what do?

PS: The copypastable version helps sooo much.<3
Oh, sorry about that. I replaced all the 'his' with 'its', but forgot about the 'he' and 'him' that I missed. You used these a lot, so I missed about two or three of them. Anyway, its fixed now. You started out using 'his', then went to 'its', and then switched back and forth. The OU analysis for Slowbro uses 'its', and you're supposed to be consistent with the other analysis.

kokoloko

Okay, I didn't know that. Sounds good, thanks. Implemented all the changes you made in the copypastable version.

So yeah, this is now done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)