Aron

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

About as Sturdy as they get.

[Overview]

<p>With Sturdy now acting as a permanant Focus Sash, Aron becomes an interesting option for perfoming a FEAR strategy. While it may not have as many support options as Whimsicott or Smeargle have, its immunity to Sandstorm and freedom to choose its own held item differentiate Aron from the other Level 1 Pokemon that endeavor for success.</p>

[SET]
name: Level 1 Sturdy Abuse
move 1: Endeavor
move 2: Toxic
move 3: Sleep Talk
move 4: Protect
item: Berry Juice
nature: any
ability: Sturdy
evs: none

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Endeavor strikes at opponents leaving them at an inch of their health and at the mercy of weaker attacks, such as Bullet Punch or Rock Slide. Toxic gives Aron something to use against Ghost-types, or targets struck by Endeavor. Sleep Talk allows Aron to continue to act if put to sleep, although admittedly it is not very reliable. Protect is vital, as the presence of Aron pressures the opponent to throw attacks towards it. Protect also stops Fake Out from ruining Aron's usefulness.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Since Aron is at Level 1, its Nature, EVs and IVs are largely irrelevant. Its HP is always 12, and its Speed can be either 4, 5, or 6. If, for some reason, its really important that Aron can outrun a paralyzed Ferrothorn or other Aron, then 36 Speed EVs with a neutral speed nature will allow Aron to have 6 speed. Aron's held item, Berry Juice, recovers 20 HP when Aron is below half health, essentially requiring 3 hits to KO Aron. Since Aron will not go down to a double-targetting from the opponent, it can be surprisingly effective even outside of Trick Room. Alternatively, a Shell Bell can be used over Berry Juice, allowing Aron to replenish its HP to full whenever it hits an opponent with Endeavor. This can make Aron extremely tough to take out under the influence of Trick Room.</p>

<p>Aron dislikes Hail, so having a teammate that can change the weather is appreciated. Tyranitar and Hippowdon, in particular, are useful as Sandstorm, can finish off those hit with Endeavor. However, it will take two turns for a Pokemon hit with Endeavor to faint unless they have at least 192 HP. Pokemon with priority moves are useful alongside Aron, as they can pick off crippled targets. Feint users, in particular, are especially useful as they can strike through an opponent's Protect to finish them off. Pokemon like Metagross or Hitmontop are helpful priority users, but some Pokemon that are lesser known for priority attacks, such as Togekiss, Gallade, and Infernape can work well too. Supportive Pokemon that have Follow Me or Fake Out can help Aron last longer to try to land more Endeavors on the opponent. Lastly, Trick Room allows Aron to move first, turning it into a major threat.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Due to Aron being at level 1, its options are limited to non-damaging attacks. Sandstorm is a good way for Aron to counter Hail. Screech and Metal Sound can be used to weaken an opposing Pokemon's defenses, allowing a partner to deal more damage. Lastly, Swagger can be used to try to disrupt the opponent.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>There are many ways to deal with a Level 1 Aron. Abomasnow can summon up Hail, damaging Aron through residual damage and rendering Sturdy worthless. Ghost-type Pokemon are immune to Endeavor, but should still watch out for Toxic, Metal Sound, or Screech. Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs can mess up Aron, but it would require Ferrothorn to be hit with Endeavor first. Multi-hit moves such as Rock Blast or Icicle Spear can KO Aron. Lastly, Pokemon with Mold Breaker ignore Sturdy and OHKO Aron with any attack.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Aron's Dream World abilitiy is Heavy Metal, but since you are using a level 1 Aron in this case, Sturdy is the only ability that should be considered.</p>

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
since it's a level 1, it's defenses aren't going to matter regardless of what they are. And it's HP is 12 without any EVs, regardless of its IV for HP.

It's speed really doesn't matter either... wait I suppose if it has EVs to have 6 speed, it can outrun a paralyzed Ferrothorn. I suppose I'll add that.

Shell Bell Aron is the most annoying thing I have ever played. My suggestion is that it be slashed behind Berry Juice on the main set because if you aren't in Trick Room and they get a Flinch, Aron is as good as done.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
Berry Juice is usually more reliable that Shell Bell. With a Shell Bell, if you aren't behind TR, you can be KO'd by double-targetting, and you have to rely a bit on landing a hit to heal yourself, making a bad prediction and swinging into a Protect potentially more dangerous.

I think I can move Shell Bell from OO into AC, since it can make Aron even tougher to KO under Trick Room, as long as it manages to land its attacks, dispite its risks.

maybe mention that if you partner it with a mon that has feint, aron will always be able to land its attacks, making shell bell more viable

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
The thing about it is that if outside of Trick Room, they are more likely to just attack instead of using Protect while there is an Aron out. If you are in Trick Room, that won't actually end up KOing anything since it means that your attacker went before Aron, so you are probably better off using Endeavor and throwing out an attack.

Don't get me wrong, a Pokemon with Feint is pretty useful with Aron, to KO weakened opponents through Protect. I just don't think it helps the Shell Bell situation very much. So I'll still add a mention to partners with Feint, since I think I missed it in my write up.

The thing about it is that if outside of Trick Room, they are more likely to just attack instead of using Protect while there is an Aron out. If you are in Trick Room, that won't actually end up KOing anything since it means that your attacker went before Aron, so you are probably better off using Endeavor and throwing out an attack.
You make a good point about Trick Room. But I was thinking that feint might work in Trick Room because people tend to protect with both of their mons to stall out the trick room. Then again, I'm not so sure about that. Sound like it would work?

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
That sounds a bit more reasonable, as it can certainly catch the opponent off guard. But, it only benefits a Shell Bell Aron if it's at 1HP at the time, making it still pretty situational as an item.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1/2 QC for level one pokes aren't that complicated, evs don't matter, nature doesn't matter. I like your reasoning behind Berry Juice being better because of double targeting, makes good sense to me. Moveset seems well thought out. When you write it out don't mention all of those things in OO. Sandstorm as a way to avoid hail damage, Screech and Metal Sound as a way to help your partner, and Swagger as a way to be obnoxious are probably the only ones worth mentioning.

JRank

Jonny
Mention Infernape specifically as a partner, it gets Fake Out and Feint, as well as completely raping Abomasnow (though it won't stop the hail it could still keep it from being brought in). Alaka covered the rest of what I was going to say >_< QC 2 / 2

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
add/replace with
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>With Sturdy now acting as a permanant Focus Sash, Aron becomes an interesting option for perfoming a FEAR strategy. While it may not have as many supportive options as Whimsicott or Smeargle have, its immunity to Sandstorm and freedom to choose its own held item allows Aron to differentiate Aron from the others when it comes to endeavors of a Level 1 Pokemon that endeavor for success (b/c that endeavor pun was a bit funny. up to you if you want to keep this or not.).</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Endeavor strikes at opponents, leaving them at an inch of their health, and at the mercy of weaker attacks, such as Bullet Punch or Rock Slide. Toxic gives Aron something to use against Ghost Types, or to personally finish off a targets struck by Endeavor. Sleep Talk allows Aron to continue to act if put to sleep, although admittedly it is not very reliable. Protect is vital, as the presence of Aron can put pressures on the opponents to throw attacks towards it. Protect also stops Fake Out from ruining Aron's usefulness.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Since the Aron is at Level 1, its Nature, EVs and IVs are largely irrelevant. It's HP is always 12, and its Speed can be either 4, 5, or 6. If, for some reason, it's really important that Aron can outrun a paralyzed Ferrothorn or other Arons, then 36 Speed EVs with a neutral speed nature will allow Aron to have 6 speed. Aron's held item, Berry Juice, recovers 20 HP when Aron is below half health,. This essentially requiring 3 hits to KO Aron. Since Aron will not go down to a double-targetting from the opponent, it can be surprisingly effective even outside of a Trick Room. Alternatively, a Shell Bell can be used over Berry Juice, allowing Aron to replenish its HP to full whenever it hits an opponent with Endeavor. This can make Aron extremely tough to take out under the influence of Trick Room.</p>

<p>Aron dislikes Hail, so having a teammate that can change the weather is appreciated. Tyranitar and Hippowdon, in particular, are useful as Sandstorm can finish off those hit with Endeavor. However, it will take two turns for a Pokemon hit with Endeavor to faint unless they have at least 192 HP. or more. Pokemon with priority moves are useful alongside Aron, as they can pick off crippled targets. Feint users, in particular, are especially useful as they can strike through an opponent's Protects to finish them off. Pokemon like Metagross or Hitmontop are good priority users, but some Pokemon that are lesser known for priority attacks, such as Togekiss, Gallade, and Infernape can work well too. Supportive Pokemon that have Follow Me or Fake Out can help Aron last longer, to try to land more Endeavors on the opponent. Lastly, setting up Trick Room allows Aron to move first, turning it into a major threat.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Since Aron is level 1, its options are limited to non-damaging attacks. Sandstorm is a good way for Aron to counter Hail. Screech and Metal Sound can be used to weaken an opposing Pokemon's defenses, allowing a partner to deal more damage. Lastly, Swagger can be used to try to disrupt the opponent.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>There are many ways to deal with a Level 1 Aron. Abomasnow can summon up Hail, damaging Aron through residual damage and rendering Sturdy worthless. Ghost-type Pokemon are immune to Endeavor but should watch out for Toxic, Metal Sound, and Screech.. Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs can mess up Aron, but it would require Ferrothorn to be hit with Endeavor first. Multi-hit moves such as Rock Blast or Icicle Spear can KO Aron. Lastly, Pokemon with Mold Breaker can ignore Sturdy and OHKO Aron with any attack.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Aron's Dream World abilitiy is Heavy Metal, but since you are using a level 1 Aron in this case, Sturdy is the only abilitiy that should be considered.</p>

Some parts of the analysis looked pretty skimpy, so I tried to work on the prose.

GP Approved (1/2)

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
Changes made.

Some parts of the analysis looked pretty skimpy, so I tried to work on the prose.
I think it's a bit due to the Pokemon that's being written here. Level 1 Endeavor, Protect, and taking 3 hits to KO w/ Berry Juice is about all it has. It's just that that's enough to do some serious damage in the right hands.

Which is probably why the OO section is pretty barren, and why the counters section feels more like a list without too much description.

Stamp Me?

Add/Edit
Remove

[Overview]

<p>With Sturdy now acting as a permanant Focus Sash, Aron becomes an interesting option for perfoming a FEAR strategy. While it may not have as many support options as Whimsicott or Smeargle have, its immunity to Sandstorm and freedom to choose its own held item differentiate Aron from the other Level 1 Pokemon that endeavor for success.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Endeavor strikes at opponents leaving them at an inch of their health and at the mercy of weaker attacks, such as Bullet Punch or Rock Slide. Toxic gives Aron something to use against Ghost-{<Hyphen>}types, or targets struck by Endeavor. Sleep Talk allows Aron to continue to act if put to sleep, although admittedly it is not very reliable. Protect is vital, as the presence of Aron pressures the opponent to throw attacks towards it. Protect also stops Fake Out from ruining Aron's usefulness.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Since the Aron is at Level 1, its Nature, EVs and IVs are largely irrelevant. Its HP is always 12, and its Speed can be either 4, 5, or 6. If, for some reason, its really important that Aron can outrun a paralyzed Ferrothorn or other Aron, then 36 Speed EVs with a neutral speed nature will allow Aron to have 6 speed. Aron's held item, Berry Juice, recovers 20 HP when Aron is below half health, essentially requiring 3 hits to KO Aron. Since Aron will not go down to a double-targetting from the opponent, it can be surprisingly effective even outside of a Trick Room. Alternatively, a Shell Bell can be used over Berry Juice, allowing Aron to replenish its HP to full whenever it hits an opponent with Endeavor. This can make Aron extremely tough to take out under the influence of Trick Room.</p>

<p>Aron dislikes Hail, so having a teammate that can change the weather is appreciated. Tyranitar and Hippowdon, in particular, are useful as Sandstorm,{<Comma>} can finish off those hit with Endeavor. However, it will take two turns for a Pokemon hit with Endeavor to faint unless they have at least 192 HP. Pokemon with priority moves are useful alongside Aron, as they can pick off crippled targets. Feint users, in particular, are especially useful as they can strike through an opponent's Protect to finish them off. Pokemon like Metagross or Hitmontop are helpful priority users, but some Pokemon that are lesser known for priority attacks, such as Togekiss, Gallade, and Infernape can work well too. Supportive Pokemon that have Follow Me or Fake Out can help Aron last longer to try to land more Endeavors on the opponent. Lastly, Trick Room allows Aron to move first, turning it into a major threat.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Since Aron is level 1, its options are limited to non-damaging attacks. Sandstorm is a good way for Aron to counter Hail. Screech and Metal Sound can be used to weaken an opposing Pokemon's defenses, allowing a partner to deal more damage. Lastly, Swagger can be used to try to disrupt the opponent.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>There are many ways to deal with a Level 1 Aron. Abomasnow can summon up Hail, damaging Aron through residual damage and rendering Sturdy worthless. Ghost-type Pokemon are immune to Endeavor, but should still watch out for Toxic, Metal Sound, or Screech. Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs can mess up Aron, but it would require Ferrothorn to be hit with Endeavor first. Multi-hit moves such as Rock Blast or Icicle Spear can KO Aron. Lastly, Pokemon with Mold Breaker ignore Sturdy and OHKO Aron with any attack.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Aron's Dream World abilitiy is Heavy Metal, but since you are using a level 1 Aron in this case, Sturdy is the only ability that should be considered.</p>[/QUOTE]

Just some minor nitpicks.

Above: it's Ghost-types in Set comments, and put a comma after "sandstorm" in the second paragraph of the AC

Stamping it for GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)