Smogon University PO Statistics — December 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ice is super effective versus Dragon/Flying/Ground-types which usually a team has one of each, so you're looking at maybe 1/3 of a team is weak to it. Not to mention lots of teams now carry a Grass-type like Celebi/Virizion/Breloom to help deal with all kinds of threats.

Tried out Wobbufet the other day for a ton of battles. It did an okay job, but Volt Switch and U-turn ruined its day every time.

Although I did have a hilarious battle with a Dugtrio. About 50 turns of not wanting to attack and unable to switch.
You've got to watch out for VolTurn with Wobb to be sure, but it's easy enough to trap a Choice-locked Rotom/Scizor. Also, if something U-Turns or Volt Switches to anything that isn't Ghost/Dark respectively, the switch-in still gets mauled by Counter or Mirror coat.

Even so, there are worse problems for a trapper to have; Dugtrio can't trap Dragonite, one of the most important sweepers in the game, and Magnezone is too slow to threaten some key steels, such as Heatran. In addition, Wobbuffet can't be set up on thanks to Encore, a problem the other trappers have after kill.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Celebi representing! And a huge gap between Landorus usage on regular OU and 1337 OU

More often than not, I'm seeing this combo:

Tyranitar
Landorus (usually scarfed)
Scizor (banded)
Terrakion (usually scarfed)
Rotom-W
and a filler: usally Ferrothorn, or Celebi, Heatran, Gliscor, Jellicent, etc.

I don't get it, really, because the standard CB Scizor handles half of this team easily. Most weaknesses are covered, but why is EVERYONE and their mother running this? I am not good at all, but I still love facing these teams.

What is just so special about this combo?

Edit: I just realized that those pokes are 1-5 on the 1337 stats. Is it just because everyone is copy pasting these teams from that?

Tyranitar
Scizor (banded)
Rotom-W

Edit: I just realized that those pokes are 1-5 on the 1337 stats. Is it just because everyone is copy pasting these teams from that?
Yes. It's popular because Tyranitar can handle weather teams and everything except Landorus is reasonably bulky while covering weaknesses well. It deftly handles the current metagame, and VolTurn is very easy to spam.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Tyranitar
Scizor (banded)
Rotom-W

I don't get it, really, because the standard CB Scizor handles half of this team easily. Most weaknesses are covered, but why is EVERYONE and their mother running this? I am not good at all, but I still love facing these teams.

A few of us laddered to first, second or thereabout on the ladder with those five in the team; either Starmie/Latios/Celebi in the final slot, while some dropped Terrakion and ran Celebi to keep the momentum shifting, and the last team member was still open for grabs.

I feel like competitive teams just scream for Scizor, more so than they did back in Gen 4 with a smaller capacity. It's getting stale real fast if you've played often enough.

A few of us laddered to first, second or thereabout on the ladder with those five in the team; either Starmie/Latios/Celebi in the final slot, while some dropped Terrakion and ran Celebi to keep the momentum shifting, and the last team member was still open for grabs.

I feel like competitive teams just scream for Scizor, more so than they did back in Gen 4 with a smaller capacity. It's getting stale real fast if you've played often enough.
I agree. I played the exact same team three times in a row last night. Thing is, I also run a CB Scizor, and it's my biggest weapon against Terrakion and Landorus.

At first, I was thinking how easy this team is to beat, but now I kind of realize that I've basically built a counter team to these 5 pokes and that's why I was having so much success.

Back in Generation IV when everybody was continuously asking for weighted stats, a lot of people did say a danger of that would be that all the "n00bs" would just look at what Pokemon do better there and use them. So it is possible that it's a factor. But I think what others have said count too. Everybody is trying to make their team cover everything, and... you just end up with similar teams the way it works out in the OU metagame atm.

Back in Generation IV when everybody was continuously asking for weighted stats, a lot of people did say a danger of that would be that all the "n00bs" would just look at what Pokemon do better there and use them. So it is possible that it's a factor. But I think what others have said count too. Everybody is trying to make their team cover everything, and... you just end up with similar teams the way it works out in the OU metagame atm.

That's a fair point.

I guess it's just when I see the team leave in their Tyranitar to take a close combat, or trying to switch in that Terrakion on that close combat or bullet punch, I'm led to believe that they're just doing the copy paste method. The vast majority of those teams that I've seen have just made horrible moves.

Taylor

i am alien
People who Google search "pastebin Pokemon", make sure to check your Landorus has its IVs adjusted so it doesn't lose the speed tie, etc. :>

But this is what happens in a competitive environment. We all think in our heads the best way to approach how we build our teams to compete with the statistically the most used Pokemon in the OU metagame. The game tends to cycle around whether it is, for example, Scizor with Swords Dance would be the wiser choice, or to utilize Choice Band + U-turn for your rain team. The amount of matches that you play can help determine which is the most suitable for your team, but ultimately there will be times where you wish you had the "other" set.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
That's a fair point.

I guess it's just when I see the team leave in their Tyranitar to take a close combat, or trying to switch in that Terrakion on that close combat or bullet punch, I'm led to believe that they're just doing the copy paste method. The vast majority of those teams that I've seen have just made horrible moves.
Letting something die or switching in death fodder does not constitue a bad play, it allows you to safely bring in another guy. But yes your point is valid in that many inept players are using the same Voltturn sand team

Tyranitar
Scizor (banded)
Rotom-W

I ventured out of UU for a bit and been trying OU for this month, man WTF! this team is everywhere! I wanted to try OU to see how pokes like Virizion, Metagross, and Scrafty do but they are literally no where to be found. Watching games I dont even see them. Theres alot of pokes that are OU that I dont see because of centralizing sand teams like this.

There's also a pretty common rain team running around,

Politoed
Tentacruel
Dragonite
Rotom-W
Tornadus

and a filler.

Less "common", because there are a lot more variations to the Drizzle teams. And it's nowhere near as bad as it was before Excadrill was banned, where every single team was a weather team.

Taylor

i am alien
Scizor/SashDugtrio would easily fit on the team. Ferrothorn seemingly looks like the ideal candidate for the remaining slot but gets mauled by Close Combats from Terrakion and Lucario, it puts rain at a disadvantage versus Terrakion + "sand offense".

Is there a way to get the stats in a spreadsheet form? I'd like to do some number crunching on what pokes are most commonly used as leads. (in proportion to their overall usage)

I am honestly in love with Celebi in OU. I am not suprised that its usage went up; the Nasty Plot set just rapes teams [that, and "When In Doubt, U-turn Out" team was used a lot, and Celebi uses U-turn (really? although I guess that can work) so its increases isn't all shocking.]

Celebi is awesome, but honestly, Duggy and Alakazam pulled a whammy, soaaring that high. Alakazam gets raped by Scizor if something just HITS Alakazam before Scizor comes in, Alakazam has nice speed thou and in UU it was kind of broken. Duggy was fine, but whatever

Don't play NU, though Cress in NU is just sick; I don't have to play it t know e.e

Stratos

Banned deucer.
i completely agree: celebi is 4x weak to u-turn, but other than that it's swept so many teams it borders on retarded. Oh, and Cress isn't NU, it's BL2

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Psych Up on Weavile?
Code:
 + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ +
 | Weavile                                                                       |
 + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ +
 | Ability |100.0 | Pressure                                                     |
 + ------- + ---- + ------------------------------------------------------------ +
 | Item    | 47.1 | Life Orb                                                     |
 | Item    | 23.9 | Focus Sash                                                   |
 | Item    | 15.1 | Choice Band                                                  |
 | Item    |  4.6 | Expert Belt                                                  |
 | Item    |  2.2 | Leftovers                                                    |
 | Item    |  7.2 | Other                                                        |
 + ------- + ---- + ------------------------------------------------------------ +
 | Move    | 77.1 | Night Slash                                                  |
 | Move    | 75.5 | Ice Shard                                                    |
 | Move    | 47.8 | Ice Punch                                                    |
 | Move    | 43.9 | Brick Break                                                  |
 | Move    | 40.1 | Low Kick                                                     |
 | Move    | 30.1 | Pursuit                                                      |
 | Move    | 25.9 | Swords Dance                                                 |
 [B]| Move    | 15.5 | Psych Up                                                     |[/B]
 | Move    |  8.1 | Fake Out                                                     |
 | Move    |  4.4 | X-Scissor                                                    |
 | Move    |  3.6 | Aerial Ace                                                   |
 | Move    |  3.5 | Beat Up                                                      |
 | Move    |  3.5 | Taunt                                                        |
 | Move    |  2.3 | Low Sweep                                                    |
 | Move    |  2.2 | Giga Impact                                                  |
 | Move    | 16.4 | Other                                                        |
 | Nature  | 74.5 | Jolly                                                        |
 | Nature  | 18.0 | Adamant                                                      |
 | Nature  |  3.3 | Hardy                                                        |
 | Nature  |  4.2 | Other                                                        |
 | EVs     | 83.4 | 252 Atk / 252 Spe                                            |
 | EVs     |  8.4 | ~44 HP / 252 Atk / ~212 Spe                                  |
 | EVs     |  8.2 | Other                                                        |
 + ------- + ---- + -------------------- + ------------------------------------- +
 | Weavile @ Life Orb                    | Weavile @ Focus Sash                  |
 | Pressure                              | Pressure                              |
 | 252 Atk / 252 Spe                     | 252 Atk / 252 Spe                     |
 | Jolly                                 | Jolly                                 |
 | [B]- Psych Up[/B]                            | - Swords Dance                        |
 | - Brick Break                         | - Brick Break                         |
 | - Night Slash                         | - Night Slash                         |
 | - Ice Shard                           | - Ice Shard                           |
Really?

That could work with a sash. (although I have no clue what people are thinking with LO) This is just theorymon, but maybe you could use it on a +6 dragon or something, take the hit with your sash, and kill off the dragon with Ice Shard.

That could work with a sash. (although I have no clue what people are thinking with LO) This is just theorymon, but maybe you could use it on a +6 dragon or something, take the hit with your sash, and kill off the dragon with Ice Shard.
E-Speed has higher priority for Dragonite so it fails (and lower tiers dragons don't set up usually).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)