Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - NU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Numel by Wyverii
Hi there.

If you're thinking of making a topic that can be answered with one post, please post it here instead. New threads should be for discussion!

When posting in this thread, follow the following guidelines:

1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.

2. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.

3. At least do a simple google search before asking the question here.

4. This is already in the Smogon and Stark forum rules, but I will reiterate again do not discuss ROMs or other illegal things.

5. Do not ask for Action Replay or other external device codes. Use Google for that.

Frequently Asked Questions
What does [move / item / ability] do?
Check the links in this topic before asking. http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78983
Also read the first post here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79340

What is NU?
NU is the next lowest tier underneath RU. The Pokemon in NU are determined by usage in higher tiers, not by power.

Is there going to be a tier under NU?
As of right now, no.

Is there going to be NU C&C?
Yes, for the first few weeks only skeletons will be allowed though.

Is there going to be a suspect test?
Probably not. Once the tier list updates in January, we probably will.

Can we breed Dream World Abilities?
From the research thread:
CONFIRMED Breeding a Dream World female parent with any male parent (but not vice versa) has a chance of giving the offspring its respective Dream World Ability. It is unknown whether Ditto counts as the female for this purpose, and we won't know until DW Ditto is released. (Maverick Hunter, 0mastar\The Shadow Knight)
Can you use Rotom's alternate forms over Wi-Fi?
Yes.

Is Smashpass banned in NU also?

Yes, since Shell Smash + Baton Pass is banned in RU, it is banned in all lower tiers (NU).

I think this is the right place to post this, but the lack of any replies to the OP is a little disconcerting, so forgive me if I'm doing something wrong.

I was looking for some help with my NU team, so I considered making an RMT, but there currently aren't any NU RMTs yet. Is the tier not "official" yet (not quite sure what the correct word is there, because I've been playing NU)? Or is everyone kinda waiting for the big shifts to happen with the new tier?

Yeah there actually are NU RMTs but they aren't in the NU sub-section because it's only created a few days ago. You can post your RMTs there, no problem. The tier itself is not too stabilized, yes. But to be honest, what can you expect from a tier that is so new. Major changes and shifts will be made during January.

Okay. I am really gonna express my thoughts here.

To be honest, I REALLY LOVE NU. I want to learn more about the meta. I have no idea what am I facing if I'm up against something I dunno / never seen before and will not know what to do. I do not know whether or not the Pokemon is faster than me and end up suiciding sometimes and I really hate it. I don't know the speed tier, that's one. The second, and the most crucial point.

I do not know how to make a team.

Unfortunately. I tried asking on IRC but its dead. I wanna to have at least some sort of checklist etc. I do not know what to do except for randomly slapping shit that I think it would work. The threats are so overwhelming as there are so many of them. I am tired of making teams that don't work and keep on losing matches. Really tired of that.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Please post RMT threads in the Rate My Team forum, specifically into "Other Teams" and use the "NU" tag.

Okay. I am really gonna express my thoughts here.

To be honest, I REALLY LOVE NU. I want to learn more about the meta. I have no idea what am I facing if I'm up against something I dunno / never seen before and will not know what to do. I do not know whether or not the Pokemon is faster than me and end up suiciding sometimes and I really hate it. I don't know the speed tier, that's one. The second, and the most crucial point.

I do not know how to make a team.

Unfortunately. I tried asking on IRC but its dead. I wanna to have at least some sort of checklist etc. I do not know what to do except for randomly slapping shit that I think it would work. The threats are so overwhelming as there are so many of them. I am tired of making teams that don't work and keep on losing matches. Really tired of that.
Well, especially for new players to a metagame, its hard to figure out what you're going to have trouble against when you make a new team. However, once you play a few matches (and lose), you should have some kind of idea of what team members are doing well, and which ones aren't pulling their weight, as well as what Pokemon on opposing teams rip you apart. Then, you figure out what you can use to stop that Pokemon (just change one or two at a time, so you can see how making small changes affects your team), and figure out a way to work it into your team. Rinse and repeat.

This doesn't just go for NU, but for all tiers, and all generations. Unfortunately, there's really no way to get better without just diving in and losing a few games to figure out what's wrong.

A good place to start, though, is to look at the usage statistics - these Pokemon are used the most because a lot of people have found them to be effective.

Yeah but tbh, if I take out that Pokemon on my team then my team will fall to another threat. It seems like the threats all seemingly un-coverable. Actually, I just want to make a brand new team and tweak it from there but not sure how do I even go about making one.

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Well first I'd pick a Pokemon you want to build a team around and then start adding Pokes that cover pokemon that it can't cover and then start adding checks for popular Pokes and whatever else you feel is necessary such as hazards and the lik. Then you just start testing and go from there.

That's what I've done so far. Sigh not gonna think about it anymore. I shall spend the whole of tomorrow making and testing a team around braviary.

I just want to ask what the general NU population thinks about this new set I made that could make it big in NU. Its a max HP/defense Swadloon with calm mind, agility, bug buzz, and baton pass. The idea is to set up while taking physical hits like a pro. If you're taunted or in a good position you can attack, but if not, you can pass to a more favorable condition. What do you guys think? Also, I made this set on pokemon online, so is it actually a somewhat possible to attain moveset?

breh

強いだね
as much as I like swadloon, it's not going to work. there are better baton passers in the tier and swadloon is pretty awful by the virtue of its typing alone. parasect is in the same tier, yet possesses spore, actual attack, and dry skin.

if you're going to go for BP, try pokemon like Mr. Mime, Mawile, and other stuff like that.

shnen

שוני
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Are the tier changes taking imediate effect tomoroow or later in the month? Asked this on irc(twice!) and no one replied :(

I've been trying out a bird offense team lately, and one of the members is Scarf Dodrio. I love using an Adamant nature on this thing since with Adamant nature and a Scarf, Dodrio is both faster and a little more powerful than Jolly Scarf Braviary (although it lacks Superpower). It also allows me to have just enough speed to beat Timid Gorebyss at +2 and Jolly Scarf Sawk.

My question is, is there anything important and common that Dodrio might need to outspeed that I will need a Jolly nature for? I haven't ran into any big problems yet, but then again, I also haven't had the time to do much NU playing either. (Adamant Scarf Dodrio hits 448 speed and Jolly hits 492, btw)

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Short answer: nothing really
Long answer: You outspeed everything up to +1 Timid Rotom-A (which includes +2 Timid Gorebyss), but you will get revenged by Scarf Jynx which runs Timid to outspeed Gorebyss.

Tried to find a definitive answer to this elsewhere, but couldn't. Is there (going to be) a banlist tier for NU like Ubers for OU, BL for UU and BL2 for RU?

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Does Cryogonal need any specific speed/sp. atk EV's to outspeed/KO/2HKO any specific key pokemon?
That depends on what set you're using (though I presume it's an offensive variant). Offensive Cryogonal should always run 252 SpA, as it really does need the boosted power. 168 Speed with Timid is the generally accepted standard, as that allows it to outspeed positive natured base 95s (one of the highest common Speed tiers), meaning everything up to and including Jynx and Leafeon. If you feel like it's necessary, you can also run max Speed, allowing it to outspeed base 100 and 105 Speed Pokemon like Raichu, the Simi trio, and Kadabra.

Defensive variants should be running 252 HP / 252 SpD, probably.

About 9 friends of mine, and myself, are creating teams of certain types, with the allowance of a 2nd type.
Example:
1)Alakazam [Psychic-type]
2)Bronzong [Psychic + Steel]

So, as long as the Pokémon has the one base type (in this case Psychic), it can be used, and as long as it is not a legendary.

So, back to the original question: What are the top 6 Psychic Pokémon in your opinion to for a well-rounded team? "Well-rounded" meaning, not all having terrible Def/Sp. Def, since most Psychic Pokémon have poor Def stats, but just enough so the Defense evens out overall.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)