Shelgon (Analysis)

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

I wish I got Shell Smash

[Overview]

<p>BW brought something that Shelgon has dreamed of ever since its release in ADV: Eviolite. For the low, low price of no Leftovers recovery, Shelgon finds itself as one of the best defensive Pokemon in the tier, with excellent typing, access to Wish, and incredible defenses. Now it has that extra something to give it an edge over Altaria—it is a great counter to top physical threats such as Sawk, Swellow, and Torterra. However, the omnipresent Gorebyss and Jynx can easily dispose of it without a second thought; it is also setup bait for most other special attackers in the tier. Nevertheless, Shelgon is a unique and viable Pokemon that every team should have a way around.</p>

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Wish
move 2: Protect
move 3: Toxic / Roar
move 4: Dragon Claw
item: Eviolite
ability: Rock Head
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Shelgon's main set, and the one that walls nearly every physical attacker in the tier to hell and back. It relies on Shelgon's few weaknesses and lots of useful resistances, which prove unbreakable for many sweepers. Wish and Protect are irreplaceable, as they provide recovery for either Shelgon or a teammate; the lack of damaging weather in NU also makes the extra turn this takes less of a disadvantage. Toxic allows Shelgon to break down the many foes that it walls, and complements the stalling nature of the Wish and Protect combination. However, Roar is another viable option here, as it can inflict more entry hazard damage on your opponent, limiting the effectiveness of Pokemon that use Life Orb to break through Shelgon, such as Absol. Dragon Claw is the fourth move on the set, and allows Shelgon to hit targets with a decently powered STAB move.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread emphasizes Shelgon's Defense, allowing it to avoid the 2HKO from Jolly Choice Band Sawk's Close Combat. The remaining EVs are placed in Special Defense to boost its weaker defensive stat. Here are a few calculations to show just how bulky Shelgon is:</p>

<ul class="damage_calculation">
<li>Jolly Choice Band Sawk Close Combat vs. Shelgon 42.2% - 49.7%</li>
<li>Jolly Guts Swellow Facade vs. Shelgon 38.0% - 44.7%</li>
<li>Adamant Choice Band Torterra Earthquake vs. Shelgon 35.2% - 41.4%</li>
<li>+2 Adamant Life Orb Absol Night Slash vs. Shelgon 48.1% - 56.6%</li>
<li>Adamant Zweilous Outrage vs. Shelgon 71.6% - 84.2%</li>
</ul>

<p>While Rock Head sees absolutely no use at all, it is the only ability that is legal with Wish, so it is a must. It is worth noting that by running a specially defensive spread, Shelgon becomes a formidable mixed wall, but it is usually better off investing in Defense instead; otherwise, it won't be able to counter Sawk, Swellow, and other top physical attackers. Another option worth considering is DragonBreath. It has a 30% chance to paralyze the target, and enables Shelgon to provide great support for the likes of Armaldo and Eelektross, Pokemon which hit hard but are slow. However, it is generally not recommended as it is very weak and conflicts with Toxic. Similarly, Outrage is also not recommended for its locking effect.</p>

<p>Cryogonal pairs well with Shelgon to make a great defensive core, as it can take the Ice attacks that Shelgon doesn't like, as well as the more powerful special attacks such as Rotom-S Air Slashes and Gorebyss Ice Beams. Quagsire and Regirock also make good partners, as they can both deal with Altaria. Calm Mind Duosion is the bane of this set, as it can take weak Dragon Claws, is immune to Toxic, and can set up and sweep while Shelgon does little or nothing in return.</p>

[SET]
name: Bulky Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
evs: 252 HP / 20 Atk / 236 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Shelgon is also capable of running a bulky Dragon Dance set, which functions very similarly to the legendary CroCune of DPP. Use Dragon Dance to boost both Shelgon's Attack and Speed until its health runs low. After that, Rest and Sleep Talk allow it to either boost its stats further with Dragon Dance, or fire off powerful Outrages that will severely dent almost everything thrown at it. Outrage is superior to Dragon Claw because Outrage will not have the locking and confusion effects if selected by Sleep Talk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Once again, the EVs ensure that Shelgon will never be 2HKOed by a Jolly Choice Band Sawk's Close Combat. The remaining EVs are placed into Attack to power up Outrage by a small amount. An Eviolite is preferred for the item as it lets Shelgon set up multiple Dragon Dances, providing more power and Speed than a Life Orb or another item would. Rock Head is again chosen because it is the only legal ability; Overcoat is illegal with Sleep Talk, as is the combination of Dragon Dance and Outrage on the same set.</p>

<p>Two Pokemon that Shelgon will never get past are Probopass and Bastiodon. They both boast enormous Defense and can easily take on Shelgon; to illustrate, they are never OHKOed even at +6, and Bastiodon can even avoid the 2HKO at +6. Probopass can hit Shelgon with either Earth Power or STAB Power Gem, whereas Bastiodon can use Roar to negate all of Shelgon's boosts. Sawk is an excellent partner for Shelgon because it can get rid of both of these Pokemon, allowing Shelgon to sweep. It can also clean up after Shelgon, because physical walls will be hard-pressed to take both these assaults of immense power and great offensive coverage.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Shelgon is capable of running an offensive Dragon Dance set to good effect. It can run maximum Attack and Speed with Dragon Dance, Outrage, Brick Break, and either Dragon Claw or Substitute. With Steel being the only type that resists Outrage, Brick Break provides Shelgon with great offensive coverage. It severely dents the two main Steel-types in NU, Probopass and Bastiodon, hitting them for 4x super effective damage. Shelgon will therefore be free to run either Dragon Claw for a more reliable STAB, or Substitute to avoid status.</p>

<p>Other physical options in Shelgon's movepool include Crunch, Rock Slide, Shadow Claw, Zen Headbutt, and Fire Fang. However, Shelgon has no use for a coverage move and, more importantly, does not have a slot in which one can be viably run.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bastiodon is the best counter to Shelgon, as it has massive Defense, resists Dragon-type attacks, is immune to Toxic, and can phaze with Roar. It can also set up Stealth Rock, weakening Shelgon each time it switches in. In a similar vein, Probopass has identical typing to Bastiodon, can also set up Stealth Rock, and can hit back with either Earth Power or STAB Power Gem. Finally, Shelgon takes full damage from all forms of entry hazards, and lacks even Leftovers recovery to mitigate this, so double switching will wear it down eventually.</p>

<p>As for revenge killing Shelgon, special attackers are usually the way to go. Gorebyss can 2HKO with an unboosted Modest White Herb Ice Beam, and OHKOes at +2. Jynx can set up a Substitute to avoid Toxic and can hit Shelgon hard with STAB Ice Beam. As Shelgon commonly only carries one move that hits Haunter, specifically its Dragon-type STAB, SubDisable Haunter can Disable either Outrage or Dragon Claw and fire off STAB Shadow Ball with impunity. Both Choice Specs and Life Orb Rotom-S can 2HKO Shelgon with Air Slash, but Rotom-S can't switch in very well. Duosion gets a special mention because it can switch in on anything bar Outrage—and even then it can switch in before Shelgon has accumulated too many boosts—and set up Calm Minds of its own to start a sweep.</p>

Rest does not heal confusion. Probopass is a better version of Bastiodon, but just lacks roar; however it can safely Toxic and set up stealth rock on him without worry of dying. Don't mention pokemon outside of NU (CroCune). Shelgon doesn't really have to worry about outside weather in NU so it doesn't matter what ability it runs. Jynx, Altaria, Tangela (outside of Toxic) and Metang also effectively shut Shelgon down. Min Speed +1 allows Shelgon to Speed tie with Base 84 mons (only skuntank), so it effectively outspeeds Magmortar, Gabite, Altaria, and Braviary. All of which can pose a threat to unboosted Shelgon.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
if shelgon got shell smash it'd be OP as fukc

uhh okay so i just typed out a long post about stuff but my computer died, so here's the shorter version: steam, crocune mention is ok because it's a widely popularized set and people know what it does and its effectiveness so comparing restalk dd shelgon to it is a good thing imo. bastiodon > probopass, just because shelgon sets up on probopass (rest heals off that toxic). tangela is p much just setup bait for it (sans leech seed?) so yeah. jynx definitely needs a mention, as does the fact that it's pretty weak initially and there are a couple mons that can take a few hits and 2 or 3hko, specially inclined mons in particular. it should be emphasized throughout the thread that special attacking mons are what beat this thing, even if some of the more powerful physically based mons can 2hko. also outrage is superior because shelgon is weak without it and sleep talk can select it without locking it in.

i don't think there was anything else i said that was important, so yeah.

I believe Wish is illegal with Overcoat, as it is some sort of special move from the 3rd? generation, while Overcoat is its Dream World ability.

Mention a specially defensive variant in the OO.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I believe Wish is illegal with Overcoat, as it is some sort of special move from the 3rd? generation, while Overcoat is its Dream World ability.
This is correct.Wish is a gen 3 only obscure event move for Bagon line.

Honestly, Overcoat is bad on Shelgon since it means he has no viable means of recovery: Overcoat is illegal with Wish and Sleep Talk (so no Resttalk), and holding Eviolite gives him bulk, but means no Leftovers recovery.
Both abilities are useless, but Rock Head is legal with all of Shelgon's moves.

@TropiOUs, you are correct about Wish, but "Obscure" does not even cover it, Wish Bagon was released back on May 18th, 2003 from Pokemon Center New York. I seriously wonder if there are even any Legitimate Wish Bagons left in existence.

Such a cool Pokemon. :)

I find it strange that you mention Huntail over Jynx in the beginning; Jynx is much more commonly used than Huntail and is more immeditely threatening! You might also want to list some threats that Shelgon can beat in the overview; such as Torterra and Swellow.

I wouldn't say Wish is the primary reason to use the first set, if I really wanted a Pokemon with Wish I'd use Audino or Lickilicky. 65 Base HP isn't that great. Perhaps "Physical Wall" or just plain "Wall" would be more appropriate?

Scarf Magmortar with Hidden Power Ice isn't particularly common in NU, nor is it that great. Perhaps mention Quagsire or Regirock for beating Altaria. They also synergise well with Shelgon.

Also, maybe Dragonbreath in the first set AC? It's not as powerful as Dragon Claw, but the 30% chance of paralysis can be useful (and annoying).

Personally I love Shelgon. I've tested both Wallish and Sweeper sets and they both work pretty well. Perhaps mention Lanturn as a partner? Completely cockblocks non-HP Grass Magmortar. Klinklang is another decent partner defensively, but they both get walled by Steel types...

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Personally I love Shelgon. I've tested both Wallish and Sweeper sets and they both work pretty well. Perhaps mention Lanturn as a partner? Completely cockblocks non-HP Grass Magmortar. Klinklang is another decent partner defensively, but they both get walled by Steel types...
Lanturn is RU,same with Klinklang.

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
All right, I'll update this tomorrow morning. I appreciate all of your comments, as I had to post with a sort of lack of knowledge of the metagame. I wasn't following the reservations thread that closely, and it was only brought to my attention that these needed to be in skeleton form two days before the deadline. I had almost no chance to play in NU at all, never mind test Shelgon. I looked at usage stats, and a couple of things I theorymonned to try to make this work. I thank you all for trying to make this on-site quality and working with what I had.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Also, maybe Dragonbreath in the first set AC? It's not as powerful as Dragon Claw, but the 30% chance of paralysis can be useful (and annoying).
DragonBreath is a special move.

The Wish set looks too slashy, needs to cleaned up.

[SET]
name: Wish
ability: Overcoat
evs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD

Make it look like this IMO.

DragonBreath is a special move.
It's not supposed to do a lot of damage, it's just an option you can use if you want to spread paralysis. I've fought a few DragonBreath Shelgon before and they managed to spread paralysis to a few of my Pokemon.

It's at least worth a mention in OO, maybe even in AC because it actually does work pretty well if you don't mind the noticeable drop in power.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
DragonBreath in AC is fine, though mention the power drop and potential status conflictions with Toxic. Also, complete legitimacy, please do remove the additional spaces after the sets listed (just nitpicking!). This looks fine to me otherwise.

QC APPROVED (1/3)

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Dragonbreath in AC is fine I guess but the best way for Shelgon to damage things is to sit there and outstall them, and Dragonbreath is counterintuitive.

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
Yeah, the extra spaces are just something that my computer does for no reason. It's fixed now, though. Also, that stamp really makes this feel approved.

This is written.

[Overview]

<p>The fifth generation has brought something that Shelgon had dreamed of ever since its release in generation threeADV: Eviolite. Now, fFor the low, low price of no Leftovers recovery, Shelgon finds itself as one of the best defensive Pokemon in the tier, with excellent defensive typing, access to Wish, and incredible defenses. Now, it has that extra something to make it used in place ofgive it an edge over Altaria. I—it is a great for countering to top physical threats such as Sawk, Swellow, and Torterra. However, the omnipresent Gorebyss and Jynx can easily dispose of it without a second thought. I; it is also setup bait for most other special attackers in the tier. Nevertheless, Shelgon is a unique and viable Pokemon that every team should have a way around.</p>

[SET]

name: Wall

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Shelgon's main set, and the one that walls nearly every physical attacker in the tier to hell and back. It relies on Shelgon's few weaknesses and lots of useful resistances, which prove unbreakable for many sweepers. Wish and Protect are irreplaceable, as they provide recovery for either Shelgon or a teammate, while also being more reliable than in the higher tiers, as there is no auto-weather; the lack of damaging weather in NU also makes the extra turn this takes less of a disadvantage. Toxic allows youShelgon to break down the many things that Shelgon walls, and can easily stall out Toxic damage with the combination offoes that it walls, and complements the stalling nature of the Wish and Protect combination. However, Roar is another viable option here, as it can make your opponent suffer entry hazard damage againinflict more entry hazard damage on your opponent, limiting the effectiveness of Pokemon that use Life Orb to break through Shelgon, such as Absol. Dragon Claw is the fourth move on the set, and allows youShelgon to hit targets with a decently powered STAB move.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given spread buffs Shelgon's defenses to a staggering 334/486/211, as well as being the minimum requiredemphasizes Shelgon's physical defense, in particular allowing it to avoid the 2HKO from a Jolly Choice Band Sawk's Close Combat. The remaining EVs not used for this purpose are placed in Special Defense to boost its weaker defensive stat. While Rock Head getsees absolutely no use at all, however it is Shelgon'sit is the only ability that is legal with Wish, so it is a must. It is worth noting that by running a specially defensive spread, Shelgon becomes a formidable mixed wall, but it is usually better off investing in Defense instead <why?>. Another option to beworth considereding is DragonBreath. It has a 30% chance to paralyze the target, and is great support for something such asenables Shelgon to provide great support for the likes of Armaldo orand Eelektross, Pokemon which hits hard but is slow and appreciates the paralysis support. Butare slow. However, it is generally not recommended as it is very weak and conflicts with Toxic. Similarly, Outrage is also not recommended for its locking effect.</p>

<p>Cryogonal pairs well with Shelgon to makes a great core with Shelgondefensive core, as it can take the Ice attacks that Shelgon doesn't like, as well as the more powerful special attacks <if you could follow this up with "such as...." it would be great, but not too necessary>. Quagsire and Regirock also make good partners, as they can both deal with Altaria. Calm Mind Duosion is the bane of this set, as it can take weak Dragon Claws, is immune to Toxic, and can set up and sweep while Shelgon does little or nothing in return. Here are a few calcuallations to show just how bulky Shelgon is.</p>

<li>Jolly Guts Swellow Facade (Burned) vs. Shelgon 38.0% - 44.7%</li>
</ul>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Shelgon is also capable of running a bulky Dragon Dance set, which functions very similarly to the legendary CroCune set.of DPP. Use Dragon Dance to boosts both yourShelgon's Attack and Speed until you need to healits health runs low. After that, Rest and Sleep Talk allow youit to either boost yourits stats further with Dragon Dance, or fire off powerful Outrages that will severely dent almost everything thrown at it. Outrage is superior to Dragon Claw because Sleep Talk can select the move without being locked into it, making it thoroughly superiorOutrage will not have the locking and confusion effects if selected by Sleep Talk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Once again, the EVs are set to ensure that Shelgon will never be 2HKOed by a Jolly Choice Band Sawk's Close Combat. The remaining EVs are placed into Attack to power up Outrage by a small amount. An Eviolite is preferred as it allows for Shelgon to set up multiple Dragon Dances, providing more power and Speed that a Life Orb or another item ever cwould. Rock Head is again chosen because it is the only one of Shelgon's abilites that has no legality issues, as its otherlegal ability; Overcoat does not allow for Sleep Talk, and also foris illegal with Sleep Talk, as well as the combination of Dragon Dance and Outrage to be on the same set.</p>

<p>Two Pokemon that Shelgon will never get past are Probopass and Bastiodon. They both boast enormous Defense and can easily take on Shelgon; to illustrate, they are <not / only xhkoed after x number of boosts>. Probopass can hit Shelgon with either Earth Power or STAB Power Gem, whereas Bastiodon can use Roar to negate all of Shelgon's boostings. Sawk is an excellent partner for Shelgon becuaause it can get rid of both of these Pokemon, allowing Shelgon to sweep. It can also clean up after Shelgon, because physical walls will be hard-pressed to take both Shelgon and Sawk one after another, with theirthese assaults of immense power and great offensive coverage.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Shelgon is also capable of running an offensive Dragon Dance set to good effect. It can run maximum Attack and Speed with Dragon Dance, Outrage, Brick Break, and either Dragon Claw or Substitute. Brick Break slams hardWith Steel being the only type that resists Outrage, Brick Break provides Shelgon with great offensive coverage. It severely dents the two main Steel-types in NU, Probopass and Bastiodon, hitting them for 4x super- effective damage, with Steel being the only type that resists Outrage. Shelgon is then. Shelgon will therefore be free to run either Dragon cClaw for a more reliable STAB, or Substitute to avoid status.</p>

<p>Other physical options in Shelgon's movepool include Crunch, Rock Slide, Shadow Claw, Zen Headbutt, and Fire Fang. However, Shelgon has no use for a coverage move and, more importantly, does not have a slot in which one can be viably run.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bastiodon is the best counter to Shelgon, as it has massive Defense, resists Dragon-type attacks, is immune to Toxic, and can phaze with Roar. It can also set up Stealth Rock, weakening you the nextShelgon each time youit switches in. In a similar vein, Probopass has identical typing to Bastiodon, can also set up Stealth Rock, and can hit back with either Earth Power or a STAB Power Gem. AlsoFinally, Shelgon takes full damage from all forms of entry hazards, and lacks even Leftovers recovery to mitigate this, so double- switching will wear it down eventually.</p>

<p>As for revenge- killing Shelgon, special attackers are usually the way to go. Gorebyss can 2HKO with an unboosted Modest White Herb Ice Beam, and likewise OHKOes at +2. Jynx can set up a Substitute to avoid Toxic and can hit Shelgon hard with a STAB Ice Beam. SubDisable Haunter can use Disable onAs Shelgon commonly only carries one move that hits Haunter, specifically its Dragon-type STAB, SubDisable Haunter can Disable either Outrage or Dragon Claw, and attack with impunity with its STAB Shadow Ball. Also, Rotom-S with eitherfire off STAB Shadow Ball with impunity. Both Choice Specs or aand Life Orb Rotom-S can 2HKO Shelgon with Air Slash, but itRotom-S can't switch in. Duosion gets a special mention because it can switch in toon anything bar Outrage, and even then only after a couple ofnot after too many boosts, and set up its own Calm Minds of its own to start a sweep.</p>

[Overview]

<p>The fifth generation brought something that Shelgon had dreamed of ever since its release in ADV: Eviolite. For the low, low price of no Leftovers recovery, Shelgon finds itself as one of the best defensive Pokemon in the tier, with excellent defensive typing, access to Wish, and incredible defenses. Now, it has that extra something to give it an edge over Altaria—it is a great counter to top physical threats such as Sawk, Swellow, and Torterra. However, the omnipresent Gorebyss and Jynx can easily dispose of it without a second thought; it is also setup bait for most other special attackers in the tier. Nevertheless, Shelgon is a unique and viable Pokemon that every team should have a way around.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Shelgon's main set, and the one that walls nearly every physical attacker in the tier to hell and back. It relies on Shelgon's few weaknesses and lots of useful resistances, which prove unbreakable for many sweepers. Wish and Protect are irreplaceable, as they provide recovery for either Shelgon or a teammate; the lack of damaging weather in NU also makes the extra turn this takes less of a disadvantage. Toxic allows Shelgon to break down the many foes that it walls, and complements the stalling nature of the Wish and Protect combination. However, Roar is another viable option here, as it can inflict more entry hazard damage on your opponent, limiting the effectiveness of Pokemon that use Life Orb to break through Shelgon, such as Absol. Dragon Claw is the fourth move on the set, and allows Shelgon to hit targets with a decently powered STAB move.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The spread emphasizes Shelgon's physical defense, in particular allowing it to avoid the 2HKO from Jolly Choice Band Sawk's Close Combat. The remaining EVs are placed in Special Defense to boost its weaker defensive stat. While Rock Head sees absolutely no use at all, it is the only ability that is legal with Wish, so it is a must. It is worth noting that by running a specially defensive spread, Shelgon becomes a formidable mixed wall, but it is usually better off investing in Defense instead <why?>. Another option worth considering is DragonBreath. It has a 30% chance to paralyze the target, and enables Shelgon to provide great support for the likes of Armaldo and Eelektross, Pokemon which hit hard but are slow. However, it is generally not recommended as it is very weak and conflicts with Toxic. Similarly, Outrage is also not recommended for its locking effect.</p>

<p>Cryogonal pairs well with Shelgon to make a great defensive core, as it can take the Ice attacks that Shelgon doesn't like, as well as the more powerful special attacks <if you could follow this up with "such as...." it would be great, but not too necessary>. Quagsire and Regirock also make good partners, as they can both deal with Altaria. Calm Mind Duosion is the bane of this set, as it can take weak Dragon Claws, is immune to Toxic, and can set up and sweep while Shelgon does little or nothing in return. Here are a few calculations to show just how bulky Shelgon is.</p>

</ul>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Shelgon is also capable of running a bulky Dragon Dance set, which functions very similarly to the legendary CroCune of DPP. Use Dragon Dance to boost both Shelgon's Attack and Speed until its health runs low. After that, Rest and Sleep Talk allow it to either boost its stats further with Dragon Dance, or fire off powerful Outrages that will severely dent almost everything thrown at it. Outrage is superior to Dragon Claw because Outrage will not have the locking and confusion effects if selected by Sleep Talk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Once again, the EVs ensure that Shelgon will never be 2HKOed by a Jolly Choice Band Sawk's Close Combat. The remaining EVs are placed into Attack to power up Outrage by a small amount. An Eviolite is preferred as it allows for Shelgon to set up multiple Dragon Dances, providing more power and Speed that a Life Orb or another item would. Rock Head is again chosen because it is the only legal ability; Overcoat is illegal with Sleep Talk, as well as the combination of Dragon Dance and Outrage on the same set.</p>

<p>Two Pokemon that Shelgon will never get past are Probopass and Bastiodon. They both boast enormous Defense and can easily take on Shelgon; to illustrate, they are <not / only xhkoed after x number of boosts>. Probopass can hit Shelgon with either Earth Power or STAB Power Gem, whereas Bastiodon can use Roar to negate all of Shelgon's boosts. Sawk is an excellent partner for Shelgon because it can get rid of both of these Pokemon, allowing Shelgon to sweep. It can also clean up after Shelgon, because physical walls will be hard-pressed to take both these assaults of immense power and great offensive coverage.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Shelgon is also capable of running an offensive Dragon Dance set to good effect. It can run maximum Attack and Speed with Dragon Dance, Outrage, Brick Break, and either Dragon Claw or Substitute. With Steel being the only type that resists Outrage, Brick Break provides Shelgon with great offensive coverage. It severely dents the two main Steel-types in NU, Probopass and Bastiodon, hitting them for 4x super effective damage. Shelgon will therefore be free to run either Dragon Claw for a more reliable STAB, or Substitute to avoid status.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Bastiodon is the best counter to Shelgon, as it has massive Defense, resists Dragon-type attacks, is immune to Toxic, and can phaze with Roar. It can also set up Stealth Rock, weakening Shelgon each time it switches in. In a similar vein, Probopass has identical typing to Bastiodon, can also set up Stealth Rock, and can hit back with either Earth Power or STAB Power Gem. Finally, Shelgon takes full damage from all forms of entry hazards, and lacks even Leftovers recovery to mitigate this, so double switching will wear it down eventually.</p>

<p>As for revenge killing Shelgon, special attackers are usually the way to go. Gorebyss can 2HKO with an unboosted Modest White Herb Ice Beam, and OHKOes at +2. Jynx can set up a Substitute to avoid Toxic and can hit Shelgon hard with STAB Ice Beam. As Shelgon commonly only carries one move that hits Haunter, specifically its Dragon-type STAB, SubDisable Haunter can Disable either Outrage or Dragon Claw and fire off STAB Shadow Ball with impunity. Both Choice Specs and Life Orb Rotom-S can 2HKO Shelgon with Air Slash, but Rotom-S can't switch in. Duosion gets a special mention because it can switch in on anything bar Outrage—and even then not after too many boosts—and set up Calm Minds of its own to start a sweep.</p>

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 2/2

[Overview]

<p>The fifth generation brought something that Shelgon had dreamed of ever since its release in ADV: Eviolite. For the low, low price of no Leftovers recovery, Shelgon finds itself as one of the best defensive Pokemon in the tier, with excellent defensive typing, access to Wish, and incredible defenses. Now, it has that extra something to give it an edge over Altaria—it is a great counter to top physical threats such as Sawk, Swellow, and Torterra. However, the omnipresent Gorebyss and Jynx can easily dispose of it without a second thought; it is also setup bait for most other special attackers in the tier. Nevertheless, Shelgon is a unique and viable Pokemon that every team should have a way around.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The spread emphasizes Shelgon's physical dDefense, in particular allowing it to avoid the 2HKO from Jolly Choice Band Sawk's Close Combat. The remaining EVs are placed in Special Defense to boost its weaker defensive stat. While Rock Head sees absolutely no use at all, it is the only ability that is legal with Wish, so it is a must. It is worth noting that by running a specially defensive spread, Shelgon becomes a formidable mixed wall, but it is usually better off investing in Defense instead as; otherwise, it won't be able to counter Sawk, Swellow, and other top physical attackers. Another option worth considering is DragonBreath. It has a 30% chance to paralyze the target, and enables Shelgon to provide great support for the likes of Armaldo and Eelektross, Pokemon which hit hard but are slow. However, it is generally not recommended as it is very weak and conflicts with Toxic. Similarly, Outrage is also not recommended for its locking effect.</p>

<p>Cryogonal pairs well with Shelgon to make a great defensive core, as it can take the Ice attacks that Shelgon doesn't like, as well as the more powerful special attacks such as Rotom-S Air Slashes and Gorebyss Ice Beams. Quagsire and Regirock also make good partners, as they can both deal with Altaria. Calm Mind Duosion is the bane of this set, as it can take weak Dragon Claws, is immune to Toxic, and can set up and sweep while Shelgon does little or nothing in return. Here are a few calculations to show just how bulky Shelgon is.</p>

</ul>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Once again, the EVs ensure that Shelgon will never be 2HKOed by a Jolly Choice Band Sawk's Close Combat. The remaining EVs are placed into Attack to power up Outrage by a small amount. An Eviolite is preferred as it allows for Shelgon to set up multiple Dragon Dances, providing more power and Speed that a Life Orb or another item would. Rock Head is again chosen because it is the only legal ability; Overcoat is illegal with Sleep Talk, as well ais the combination of Dragon Dance and Outrage on the same set.</p>

<p>Two Pokemon that Shelgon will never get past are Probopass and Bastiodon. They both boast enormous Defense and can easily take on Shelgon; to illustrate, they are never OHKOed even at +6, and Bastiodon can even avoid the 2HKO at +6. Probopass can hit Shelgon with either Earth Power or STAB Power Gem, whereas Bastiodon can use Roar to negate all of Shelgon's boosts. Sawk is an excellent partner for Shelgon because it can get rid of both of these Pokemon, allowing Shelgon to sweep. It can also clean up after Shelgon, because physical walls will be hard-pressed to take both these assaults of immense power and great offensive coverage.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Shelgon is also capable of running an offensive Dragon Dance set to good effect. It can run maximum Attack and Speed with Dragon Dance, Outrage, Brick Break, and either Dragon Claw or Substitute. With Steel being the only type that resists Outrage, Brick Break provides Shelgon with great offensive coverage. It severely dents the two main Steel-types in NU, Probopass and Bastiodon, hitting them for 4x super effective damage. Shelgon will therefore be free to run either Dragon Claw for a more reliable STAB, or Substitute to avoid status.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As for revenge killing Shelgon, special attackers are usually the way to go. Gorebyss can 2HKO with an unboosted Modest White Herb Ice Beam, and OHKOes at +2. Jynx can set up a Substitute to avoid Toxic and can hit Shelgon hard with STAB Ice Beam. As Shelgon commonly only carries one move that hits Haunter, specifically its Dragon-type STAB, SubDisable Haunter can Disable either Outrage or Dragon Claw and fire off STAB Shadow Ball with impunity. Both Choice Specs and Life Orb Rotom-S can 2HKO Shelgon with Air Slash, but Rotom-S can't switch in. Duosion gets a special mention because it can switch in on anything bar Outrage—and even then not after too many boosts—and set up Calm Minds of its own to start a sweep.</p>

[Overview]
<p>The fifth generation brought something that Shelgon had dreamed of ever since its release in ADV: Eviolite. For the low, low price of no Leftovers recovery, Shelgon finds itself as one of the best defensive Pokemon in the tier, with excellent typing, access to Wish, and incredible defenses. Now, it has that extra something to give it an edge over Altaria—it is a great counter to top physical threats such as Sawk, Swellow, and Torterra. However, the omnipresent Gorebyss and Jynx can easily dispose of it without a second thought; it is also setup bait for most other special attackers in the tier. Nevertheless, Shelgon is a unique and viable Pokemon that every team should have a way around.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The spread emphasizes Shelgon's Defense, in particular allowing it to avoid the 2HKO from Jolly Choice Band Sawk's Close Combat. The remaining EVs are placed in Special Defense to boost its weaker defensive stat. While Rock Head sees absolutely no use at all, it is the only ability that is legal with Wish, so it is a must. It is worth noting that by running a specially defensive spread, Shelgon becomes a formidable mixed wall, but it is usually better off investing in Defense instead; otherwise, it won't be able to counter Sawk, Swellow, and other top physical attackers. Another option worth considering is DragonBreath. It has a 30% chance to paralyze the target, and enables Shelgon to provide great support for the likes of Armaldo and Eelektross, Pokemon which hit hard but are slow. However, it is generally not recommended as it is very weak and conflicts with Toxic. Similarly, Outrage is also not recommended for its locking effect.</p>

<p>Cryogonal pairs well with Shelgon to make a great defensive core, as it can take the Ice attacks that Shelgon doesn't like, as well as the more powerful special attacks such as Rotom-S Air Slashes and Gorebyss Ice Beams. Quagsire and Regirock also make good partners, as they can both deal with Altaria. Calm Mind Duosion is the bane of this set, as it can take weak Dragon Claws, is immune to Toxic, and can set up and sweep while Shelgon does little or nothing in return. Here are a few calculations to show just how bulky Shelgon is.</p>

</ul>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Once again, the EVs ensure that Shelgon will never be 2HKOed by a Jolly Choice Band Sawk's Close Combat. The remaining EVs are placed into Attack to power up Outrage by a small amount. An Eviolite is preferred as it allows for Shelgon to set up multiple Dragon Dances, providing more power and Speed that a Life Orb or another item would. Rock Head is again chosen because it is the only legal ability; Overcoat is illegal with Sleep Talk, as is the combination of Dragon Dance and Outrage on the same set.</p>

[Other Options]

[Checks and Counters]

Good job!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)