Lanturn (Skeleton) (QC 0/3)

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
OR
OR

[Overview]

-Cool Special Tank in RU with massive HP and usable Special Defense
-That typing is just boss offensively as well as defensively as evidenced by everyone drooling over Rotom-W.
-Volt Absorb is a cool ability and allows to beat Rotom.
-Few advantages over Slowking, STAB Electric moves, Volt Switch, Heal Bell
-Lack of reliable priority kills it, not to mention weakness to the commonly used Grass and Ground type moves.

[SET]
name: Tank
move 1: Scald
move 2: Ice Beam / Thunderbolt
move 3: Volt Switch
move 4: Heal Bell / Thunder Wave
item: Leftovers
ability: Volt Absorb
nature: Calm
evs: 40 HP / 192 Def / 100 SpA / 176 SpD

[Set Comments]

-Can take all the myriad Fire, Water, Electric type moves being thrown around in the tier.
-Checks Moltres, Rotom, Hail, Typhlosion.
-Can threaten with Surf, Ice Beam.
-Volt Switch can be used to scout the opponent and works well with stuff like U-Turn Gliscor or U-Turn Uxie.
-Thunder Wave can be used to cripple a switch in while Heal Bell gives Lanturn distinction as a cleric.

[Additional Comments]

-I just went along and used the 4th gen UU EV spread (upstart) and it worked alright. Tuning Lanturn's EV set perfectly is kinda hard since most hard hitting stuff 2HKO Lanturn anyway no matter how much you EV with SR while Lanturn fails to kill stuff without massive investment.
-Discharge can be over Thunderbolt for the paralysis chance and stuff like SD Gallade really enjoy it but then dont use Scald.
-Toxic can be used to screw up other Lantern who sadly can wall you.
-Gliscor is an awesome partner and has fantastic synergy with this Pokemon.
-Most Flying-types have good type synergy with Lanturn. Lanturn just hates Toxic Spikes so make sure to pack a Spinner or just a Poison type to absorb T-Spikes.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Surf / Hydro Pump
move 4: Ice Beam / Hidden Power Fire
item: Choice Specs
nature: Modest
evs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 120 Spe

[Set Comments]

-Deceptively strong and hits 406 SpA after Specs which is pretty decent for a scarf user
-Makes a fantastic pivot for most balanced teams thanks to its useful resistances and access to STAB Volt Switch.
-Thunderbolt is used for the stronger STAB as well being able to finish off stuff without wanting to switch.
-Surf has excellent coverage and along with Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, hits pretty everything in the tier for neutral damage.
-Hidden Fire can be used to fry any Ferroseed trying to switch in on Lanturn but is quite weak compared to Lanturn's other moves and should be used with proper predictions.

[Additional Comments]

-Hazards are extremely useful for this particular Lanturn variant as it causes a lot of switches and abuses them with Volt Switch. Ferroseed makes an excellent candidate for laying down Spikes.
-It is even more important to keep hazards off the field when using Lanturn since they will soon wear down Lanturn and cut down switching. Packing a spinner such as Cryogonal is almost mandatory while Natu also shares good synergy with Lanturn and can keep off hazards.
-Scyther has excellent synergy with Lanturn thanks to its 4x Grass resistance and immunity to Ground. It can even form a VoltTurn core with Lanturn which can be incredibly annoying to face with a bunch of hazards and a spinner.
-Pokemon such as Sawsbuck make good partners as they are immune to Grass and resist Ground type attacks.

name: Rain Dance
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Thunder
move 4: Volt Switch / Heal Bell / Ice Beam
item: Damp Rock
evs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 SpD

[Set Comments]

-Excellent addition on Rain teams who need a rain summoner
-Resistances to Fire, Ice and being immune to Electric-type hits allows it to set up Rain Dance reliably.
-The Electric immunity is really cherished by Rain teams as well as the other resistances make Lanturn a fantastic pivot in general with Volt Switch allowing it to bring in a Rain sweeper without any damage.
-Not too shabby as an attacker as STAB Thunder and rain boosted Surf will hurt in rain with maximum Special Attack investment
-Heal Bell can cure any rain sweeper who has been statused while Ice Beam offers superior BoltBeam coverage.

[Additional Comments]

-252 SpA makes sure Lanturn's STAB Thunder and Surf pack a punch while the HP and SpD EVs are for greater Special Bulk allowing Lanturn to serve as a Special Tank.
-Damp Rock is the obvious item for lengthening the duration of Rain Dance to 8 turns.
-Most Pokemon who enjoy Rain make good teammates to Lanturn such as Ludicolo, Omastar and Kabutops.

name: Parafusion
move 1: Thunder Wave
move 2: Confuse Ray
move 3: Volt Switch / Discharge
move 4: Ice Beam / Surf
evs: 36 HP / 220 Def / 252 SpD

[Set Comments]

-The old hair ripping set from gen4 makes a return
-Thanks to Lanturn deterring Ground-types from ever showing their face, Parafusion is an excellent starategy to use on Lanturn.
-After paralysis and confusion, the opposing pokemon will only be able to move 3/8th of the time.
-The basic strategy is to use Lanturn's excellent bulk to switch in on a move its resists, fire off Thunder Wave or Confuse Ray as the opponent switches in.
-Thunder Wave just mostly be used first since it cripples on of your opponents Pokemon and if it is a sweeper, makes it dead weight. This however fails against Ground-types and Pokemon immune to Electric such as Lanturn and Manectric.
-Ice Beam and Volt Switch are the preferred offensive options due to forming the BoltBeam combo.
-Volt Switch is a boon to Lanturn since Lanturn can easily paralyze a Pokemon on the switch and then Volt Switch out to a suitable counter before the opponent can move.

[Additional Comments]

-The 36 HP EVs hit a Lefties number and maximum investment in SpD and a Calm nature let Lanturn take most special attacks easily while 220 Def EVs give it decent physical bulk.
-Hazards are quite useful since Lanturn will cause a number of switches. Ferroseed teams up well with Lanturn and can set up Spikes.
-Pokemon such as Moltres and Boufflant make excellent teammates due to them sharing good synergy with Lanturn as well as being able to capitalize on the paralysis that Lanturn spreads.
-Strong but slow attackers such as Torterra, Gallade and Druddigon enjoy the paralysis.

[Other Options]

-Agility set can be used, but its pretty weak imo.
-Can run HP Fire for Snover and Ferroseed.

[Checks and Counters]

-Grass-types especially Ludicolo but fears getting paralyzed.
-Any decently offensive Pokemon with Earthquake will kill it.
-Grass types with high Defense walk all over Lanturn. Ferroseed, Lilligant come to mind.
-Lanturn 9.9

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've yet to try out a SubCharge set and Resttalk. Will get those up tomorrow. Feel free to discuss and nitpick what I've got. I'll surely add more details tomorrow.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overview - Explain why the lack of priority is important
Set1 AC - Gligar, not Gliscor
Get the set2 EVs set.

Once those are clarified, QC APPROVED 1/3

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ive been running a specs set in several tiers to some success, the slow volt switch can really help out at times. heres the set if you think it should be mentioned.

Lanturn (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SAtk / 152 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

(sorry for the weird format i extracted this directly from the teambuilder.)

this set has 406 Spa after a boost, not too shabby, but sorta bad for a specs user :(

this set hits everthing but lol lanturn for at least neutral damage iirc.

it makes a great pivot in general and is good to bet pokemon in for free vs faster teams

speed evs are for outrunning things such as gligar to ice beam/hydro pump them

otherwise looks pretty good good job barry :D

Yes, I agree with Molk, Choice Specs is definitely viable on Lanturn; in fact, I've seen quite a few Choice Specs variants...

RestTalk is terrible, I wouldn't add it, while SubCharge is barely good enough to warrant a set, I personally wouldn't use it, but I suppose that's up to QC xD

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i disagree with restalk being terrible tbh, ive been using it on my team to great effect and im currently #1 on the ladder because lanturn has served me well.

-Lack of reliable priority kills it, not to mention weakness to the commonly used Grass and Ground type moves.

^ also just a fun fact, lanturn get sucker punch xD

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Personally I think a more defensive spread of 40 HP / 216 Def / 252 SDef with Calm nature would be better unless you can bring situations up of when those 100 SAtk EVs make a real difference. This spread is only 3HKO'd by Banded Entei's Flare Blitz and 4-5HKO'd by a Lefties set which is becoming more popular as a Banded Extremespeed means set up fodder to things like Rotom-N. It also walls Moltres very well, with a Life Orb boosted Hidden Power Grass is only a 3HKO and Scarf Moltres deals even less and deals minimal damage to Lanturn if it predicts wrong.

Maybe mention Protect as a viable move in AC or OO. I've been using it on mine over Ice Beam to deal with Scarf Rotom-C's, stall out Toxic, and get clutch Leftovers recovery when I need it. Then again the move might only be good depending on your team. Like it stalls out another turn of poison since I use Toxic Spikes, if Rotom-C's user overpredicts and goes for Volt Switch, you'll get the switch advantage, if it Tricks, my Accelgor makes it lose a turn due to Sticky Hold, and if it Leaf Storms I get a free switch into Drapion to set up Toxic Spikes.

EDIT: Sorry for making this comment super long, but I'm dedicated to my favorite pokemon's analysis :P. That and I can also attest to Choice Specs Lanturn's effectiveness. It functions similarly to a Defensive Rotom-W in OU, hitting hard while still being able to tanks hits well. I haven't used SubCharge, but I think that its only effectiveness would come the surprise factor. ex. A wall tries to Toxic you as you Sub, so now you get free turns to start setting up free of status and behind a Sub. For this reason of this I would personally put Specs before SubCharge.

Here you go: Animated Lanturn Sprite:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
SubCharge was terrible when I tried it, drop it. Add the Choice Specs set molk's been using.

Do that and I'll stamp it.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'd like to submit 2 sets to this analysis.

name: Parafusion
move 1: Thunder Wave
move 2: Confuse Ray
move 3: Volt Switch / Discharge
move 4: Ice Beam / Surf
evs: 36 HP / 220 Def / 252 SpD

I definitely think the classic parafusion set from gen IV needs to make a return. Considering the fact that Lanturn can easily deter ground types, it has no problem abusing this parafusion strategy and wrecking havoc on the metagame. The goal of this set is rather simple, just switch in use Thunder Wave on a target followed by Confuse Ray and watch your opponent desperately try to get their Pokemon to move (a para-fusion pokemon has a 3/8 chance of moving every turn) Gen V gave Lanturn a huge boon in Volt Switch, so it can paralyze its targets and easily switch out if comes across a Pokemon that it can't beat. 100% support this set.

move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Volt Switch / Thunder
move 4: Ice Beam / Heal Bell

Another set from gen IV. This set is more support based and is a huge help to Rain Dance teams due to its ability to easily set up a Rain dance against a bunch types (specifically Fire, Water and Electric types) and its not too shabby as an attacker either. Now that is has Volt Switch, you can easily bring your Rain Sweeper into battle without the risk them taking damage.

Once you implement both of these sets i'll approve this.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't think that this big SpA investement (for a defensive mon) is needed in the tank set. Lanturn is much better at spreading status with its 2 STAB attacks,healing the team form status and scouting with Volt Switch,than outright 2hkoing or OHKOing offensive threats... Also do the evs grant any significant OHKOs or 2HKOs?

I also think that a RestTalk set is very viable because it offers great support to the team while also having great longevity.

This is the set:

Lanturn @ Lefties
Volt Absorb
EVs: don't really know how to ev this bastard xd
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Scald/Discharge
-Heal Bell

This set is especialy good in stall teams! It provides the team with an everlasting special wall with very good immunities/resistances that can spread status while attacking,act as a cleric (which many stall teams need) and has reliable recovery! Also note that Heal Bell + RestTalk is boss since each of the 2 turns that you are asleep you have a 33% chance of waking up from Heal Bell,while SleepTalk also helps with Heal Bell's low pps!

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
These sets should definitely be on the analysis:

[SET]
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 4: Ice Beam / Hidden Power Fire

---

move 2: Thunder
move 4: Volt Switch / Heal Bell / Ice Beam

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
It's cool to see some progress here, since Lanturn is an amazing Pokemon and should be on site already.

QC APPROVED 1/3

I know it's a little late / nitpicky but I do think it makes way more sense to have this set:

[SET]
move 2: Hydro Pump / Surf
move 3: Ice Beam / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Thunderbolt

The main set in the current analysis is possible, but this offers the best coverage / power for RU. Thunderbolt is sacrificing coverage for sweeping power, which is actually worth it a lot of the time but Quagsire is everywhere. More common than Ferroseed in my experience anyway.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
With Surf it 2hkos physically defensive Quagsire and with Hydro Pump it 2hkoes specially defensive variants so HP Grass is not needed. A mention in AC is enough, if you must ohko Quagsire by any means.

I've seen a bunch of Quagsire with Water Absorb, probably because of Rain Dance teams or just because of Lanturn. Either way, there's also other Lanturn for use with HP grass. I'm not super opposed to the way it is now (except for the ordering of the moves), but HP Grass is very useful.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
I'm all for Hidden Power Grass as it allows Lanturn to also nail other Lanturns in addition to Water Absorb Quagsire who is getting more use (and with reason too).

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for being a little late, but it seems like the day I decide not to check if this was updated, it gets updated. :/ I still personally think you should change the EVs on the tank set, to be more defensive. Pretty much just put the SAtk EVs to max out SpD and the rest into Def.(40 HP / 216 Def / 252 SpD) Unless of course, the 100 SAtk EVs provides critical 2HKOes on a good amount of pokemon.

EDIT: Only thing I see it helping is guaranteeing the 2HKO on Entei with Scald, which is somewhat irrelevant if you are switching into Flare Blitz anyways. 100 SAtk EVs also don't help 2HKO Moltres with Tbolt OR Volt Switch.( After the LO damage it'll take once you sponge a hit, Tbolt and Volt Switch are 2HKOs anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)