International WiFi Tournament -International Challenge- WON BY Cybertron

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm I the only one who's realized that you can see what the Japanese are doing on the GBU?

Regardless, this looks interesting. I predict DCing will still be a huge problem, but maybe it won't be as bad this time.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm I the only one who's realized that you can see what the Japanese are doing on the GBU?

Regardless, this looks interesting. I predict DCing will still be a huge problem, but maybe it won't be as bad this time.
No? That's where alot of us play.

All I see from Japan on GBU is Rain and the other weathers. I haven't seen TR.
DCing will be really bad. I'm kinda sorry for people giving away free Pokemon, there's gonna be huge demand....... That means NO ONE should be stingy and bother them for what good things they are doing.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
The good Japanese players tend to come out around 10PM PST or 1AM EST.

Are you saying that the people giving away Pokemon are being stingy?

No, No, No you got me wrong. I meant PEOPLE ASKING FOR POKEMON shouldn't be stingy when asking for Pokemon. The people giving Pokemon away are being generous.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
The good Japanese players tend to come out around 10PM PST or 1AM EST.
So true haha.Many Japanese players at higher ranks(1800+) tend to give some great challenges. Its pretty tough and you find unique strategies. Day time hours you won't find many japanese because of time zones. Though You'll see more during the tournament.

Practice for VGC. That's the best part about this.

The situation with dc'ers is meh still. Despite being able to tell who dc's nothing has been done about the dc'ers in reality. Since this is international I hope this is a good chance to battle many japanese players The only time I battled against one they dc'd after a lucky crit on my part that probably didn't have a major effect on the match.

I'm more excited for playing against the Korean players tbh, Sejun Park brought a lot of interesting Pokemon to VGC 2011 so I'm looking forward to see what they're currently using.

I'm more excited for playing against the Korean players tbh, Sejun Park brought a lot of interesting Pokemon to VGC 2011 so I'm looking forward to see what they're currently using.
Oh Occa Berry Amoonguss. :3
Anyway, I'm really excited for this tournament!! I had a lot of fun in the Japan Cup and the Autumn Friendly. I can't wait to see all of the weird and awesome strategies the Japanese will use!

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Spring (un)friendly, WWIII, here we come. I would think the D/C problem could be resolved by giving the win to whomever was still online at time of blue-screen, not sure how difficult that can be. At least this should be one good last practice before our April 15 regionals take place.

If they can't figure out how to give a win to whomever is still connected at the time of the DC, perhaps they could lock a player out of the tourney for 24 hours after X number of DCs. Players who never initiate a DC would be unlikely to be locked out.

As far as I know, the biggest problem Pokemon had with the Autumn Friendly tournament was that it could not determine which party was the one DCing. Mike Liesek, the head of the VGC section of Pokemon, told me that at Rhode Island that my DC rate in that tournament was a staggering 47% out of all the battles that I had, which was around 200. Only a few of those were mine, and they were due to poor connection. I was basically punished for playing so much (I'm pretty sure I battled the most out of anybody in the whole tournament; other than Ruben) and having unlucky opponents. I'm not sure if they will be able to fix the problem this time around. Obviously, I would hope so, but in the case that they can't, I would really hope that they don't disqualify anyone from the rankings since the Autumn Friendly was a huge piece of a shit and a waste of time, considering I didn't get awarded for anything.

As far as I know, the biggest problem Pokemon had with the Autumn Friendly tournament was that it could not determine which party was the one DCing. Mike Liesek, the head of the VGC section of Pokemon, told me that at Rhode Island that my DC rate in that tournament was a staggering 47% out of all the battles that I had, which was around 200. Only a few of those were mine, and they were due to poor connection. I was basically punished for playing so much (I'm pretty sure I battled the most out of anybody in the whole tournament; other than Ruben) and having unlucky opponents. I'm not sure if they will be able to fix the problem this time around. Obviously, I would hope so, but in the case that they can't, I would really hope that they don't disqualify anyone from the rankings since the Autumn Friendly was a huge piece of a shit and a waste of time, considering I didn't get awarded for anything.

The worst part is that they can sense dc'ers but not determin which person is the one who did it despite them saying (in some official source, not sure exactly where though) that they could detect and penalize the dc'ers.

I agree though that anyone who gets unfortunate with dc'ers shouldn't be penalized for having bad luck.

Sweet! I missed the last one since I was on vacation, so now I finally get to play in an official competition. Yay!

All I see from Japan on GBU is Rain and the other weathers. I haven't seen TR.
DCing will be really bad. I'm kinda sorry for people giving away free Pokemon, there's gonna be huge demand....... That means NO ONE should be stingy and bother them for what good things they are doing.
Speak the Truth!!

Yup, at least we'll be able to find battles.
Usually with GBU I wait 30 minutes for a battle, then get D/C'd on D':
Needless to say, I stopped playing that.
But with tournaments I can actually find battlers to D/C on me!

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm sure if Mike Liesek brought to attention about Cybertron's matches having a 47% disconnection rate that it's a sign they're working on it for this time around, hopefully.

The disconnection problem in Autumn (un)friendly certainly ruined the friendliness fun of what would otherwise be a moment's last glory for VGC2011. It didn't stop me from making the top 40 even though I noticed the one that finished just one spot ahead of me was among the ones that had disconnected on me when I was about to win that match.

Don't know why they just don't implement a system where the person who disconnects loses. Better to punish the ones who disconnect (even on accident) rather than those who play fairly and stay connected.

drcossack

I'm everywhere, you ain't never there
Don't know why they just don't implement a system where the person who disconnects loses. Better to punish the ones who disconnect (even on accident) rather than those who play fairly and stay connected.
I know. I don't think it'd be all that hard? Mario Kart Wii (and I assume Mario Kart 7, but I haven't played much wifi on there) reduces your rating if you disconnect. I don't doubt that they can do the same for these games.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
I know this might not be the best suggestion but if they cant tell who d/c'd why don't they give the win to whoever logs back on wifi 1st. I mean after a person d/c's they have to turn on their ds's again while the person who gt d/c'd on can log back on wifi quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)