VGC '12 Japanese Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread to talk about Japanese qualification Tournament (are there any japanese players in Smogon? They would help us greatly with this thread).

The Japan Cup - 2012 Spring WiFi tournament will also run in March, exclusive to Japanese players, which is used to determine qualification for the World Championship this year.
So, the Japanese are doing a new qualification format using wi-fi and allowing everybody from their houses to play for qualify to Hawai. This is a very interesting way to do this, increasing a lot the number of players and decreasing the wasting of money at the same time.

It is not exactly as you described. They do not get an invite for Worlds in the WiFi tournament, they get an invite for a qualification tournament for Worlds ;) So in some way it is like this: WiFi tournament = "regionals" and the other qualification tournament = "nationals".

Here is the link to the japanese site: http://www.pokemon.co.jp/info/2012/02/120210_e01.html

Someone from a German forum translated it and posted the news on the front page in the 2nd post (www.filb.de)

Disconnection will be a big problem...
I agree. Even if it DQs you, they should have an LCQ for all of those people with bad internet. If I recall correctly, I remember reading the household Wi-Fi isn't as common in Japan, so many people will be forced to use a public Wi-Fi service.

So, either way, it sounds like the Japanese will return to Worlds this year. This will be very nice! A lot of people missed them competing last year.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Maybe they won't have an "LCQ" as such for it, but it'l be like the US set up this year, where if you win a regional, you get a couple of byes to help you on your way. This way it's not a necessity, but more of a bonus for those that can do it, and not DC when it goes wrong.

I sense failure, if I recall NA was going to do something like this but canceled it because of the massive amounts of d/c we kept getting.
Although I'm glad to hear the Japanese are coming back into the competitive scene.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Interesting but nothing beats the experience of going to a reg/nats and meeting people(Im pretty sure jp have their own doubles community). So err how will we know winning teams now. Well lets see how it plays out.

Also,

At least Japan's coming back! I'd like to see their strategies!
Most likely at least a few of them will be testing them out on Random matchup or elsewhere, I've seen a few do cresselia with safegaurd followed by swaggering their own garchomp, but that's probably not the majority.

also it's possible we might win juniors (go babbytron!) and maybe ray will win win masters, but at the very least most likely everyone from japan at worlds is going to have some serious strategy, possibly some new ones nobody's thought of yet. I predict some weather teams but more than 30-40% of them.

...but at the very least most likely everyone from japan at worlds is going to have some serious strategy, possibly some new ones nobody's thought of yet. I predict some weather teams but more than 30-40% of them.
I'm not trying to be mean or rude, but I really felt the need to respond to your post. Of course everyone from Japan is going to have a serious strategy at Worlds. It's the event of the year, and obviously, everyone's goal is to become World Champion. Why in the world would anyone use a non-serious team? Worlds is also where the most creative, unique, and just well rounded teams come out, of course we'll be seeing strategies/teams we haven't seen before. And what does the last sentence of your post mean? How can you possibly predict, with percentages and numbers, what the metagame for Worlds will be like when its half a year and the majority of VGC 2012 events haven't even taken place?

/sigh

Wow the Japanese got their own thread. That's how much we fear them. Hahahahahah
Oh and Garchompzilla, you said Babbytron has Juniors and Ray has Masters. You forgot Cybertron winning Seniors. Let's go Zhengs!

and kamz might win, but will aaron win instead?
(or some other random person, If you win worlds once that doesn't necessarily mean you'll win again, that's been true for every person save 1 so far.)
True but you'll never know until the pokeballs start flying. Saying "I'll bet you the U.S. won't be having any world champs this year... :(" is a bit dramatic imho.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
I'll bet you the U.S. won't be having any world champs this year... :(
You sir have no AMERICAN Pride. Look at Ray beating 3 japanese in a row to win it all at 2010.

To make this post somewhat relevant will there be a actual irl tournament for jp or is this THE tournament to see who goes and who doesn't?

My guess is yes, because (and correct me if I'm wrong) otherwise you couldn't get an invite to worlds, only a qualification. And that seems kind of cheap considering the fact that a player would have to travel to the oher side of the world to get to worlds, while for us it's in our own country and sometimes our own state.(depending where you live)

So this tournament for the japanese takes place of having actual regionals at different locations? I ask because i have a friend stationed in Chatan Japan and he was hoping to be able to attend some regionals there since he cant be here in the US for them.

If that is not the case, then does anyone know where i could find a list of where the japanese regionals are at?

Ray beats Japanese people because he plays like a Japanese person lol, just sayin.

So looking forward to worlds now though lol (not that I wasn't in the first place).

I'm not trying to be mean or rude, but I really felt the need to respond to your post. Of course everyone from Japan is going to have a serious strategy at Worlds. It's the event of the year, and obviously, everyone's goal is to become World Champion. Why in the world would anyone use a non-serious team? Worlds is also where the most creative, unique, and just well rounded teams come out, of course we'll be seeing strategies/teams we haven't seen before. And what does the last sentence of your post mean? How can you possibly predict, with percentages and numbers, what the metagame for Worlds will be like when its half a year and the majority of VGC 2012 events haven't even taken place?

/sigh
this. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)