SidLuvsBBQ's VGC Team

When Pokemon.com made an article about Ryan Arnold's Team, I immediately knew I wanted to use a Goodstuff team for this year's VGC. This team is similar to Ryan Arnold's, but with a few changes to make it my own.

Garchomp (Jolly) @ Yache Berry
Sand Veil
252 Attack/252 Speed/6 HP

• Dragon Claw
  • Earthquake
  • Rock Slide
  • Protect
Garchomp is scary. It's fast, powerful, and has good typing. That's like the complete Pokemon package. Anyway, Dragon Claw is for STAB, and can take out opposing Dragon Types. Earthquake is its main attack, with STAB and multiple targets it really makes a dent in opponents teams. Rock Slide is for coverage, and Protect is a VGC must-have.

Zapdos (Modest) @ Sitrus Berry
Pressure
140 HP/ 252 Sp. Attack/116 Speed

• Discharge
  • Heat Wave
  • Tailwind
  • Detect
Zapdos is awesome. It's bulky and can dish out good damage. I decide to go back to Discharge for its primary move, which is Strong, Accurate, hits both Targets, and can Paralyze. Heat Wave is an alternative move, and destroys Ice-types and Abomasnow with ease. Tailwind is for a handy speed boost, and Detect is Zapdos's Imprison-proof Protect.

Chandelure (Modest) @ Focus Sash
Flash Fire
252 HP/252 Sp. Attack/6 Sp. Def

• Heat Wave
  • Shadow Ball
  • Hidden Power [Ice]
  • Protect
Chandelure is insanely powerful. Heat Wave is its main STAB move of choice, hitting both enemies, and doing massive damage. Shadow Ball is it's alternate STAB, still hitting hard while hitting pesky Psychic-Type Trick-Room Users. Chandelure's Hidden Power is of the Ice-Type. It offers good coverage, and hits hard because of its 70 Base Power. Chandelure is also the Trick Room Counter of my team, which is why it has Trick Room.

Abomasnow (Timid) @ Choice Scarf
Snow Warning
252 Sp. Attack/252 Speed/ 6 HP

• Blizzard
  • Giga Drain
  • Water Pulse
  • Ice Shard
My Anti-Weather Pokemon. With a much-needed Speed Boost from its Choice Scarf, it's ready to make opponents wish they never thought of using a weather team. Blizzard is Strong and has a much-needed accuracy boost from hail. Ice Shard is Priority, while the biggest surprise is its move, Water Pulse. Its a decent move that is ready to dish out damage to many of Abomasnow's weaknesses, such as Fire and Rock types.

Metagross (Adamant) @ Occa Berry
Clear Body
252 HP/ 252 Attack/ 6 Speed

• Meteor Mash
  • Bullet Punch
  • ThunderPunch
  • Protect
With a major weakness to common spread move Rock Slide and a equally large weakness to Ice-type moves, Metagross had to kick out Breloom.
Meteor Mash is the main move of choice here, as it has STAB and a high base power, all coming off of a all-mighty Attack stat of 205. Bullet Punch is to take out Weakened foes, and can damage pokemon in Trick Room. For coverage against Pokemon that resist its STAB attacks, such as Water-types, ThunderPunch is ready to 2HKO many threats to the team, including Politoed.

Hitmontop (Adamant) @ Life Orb
Technician
252 Attack/252 HP/6 Speed

• Fake Out
  • Mach Punch
  • Sucker Punch
  • Detect
Thanks to Saboros, I decided to go with Hitmontop for the last spot on my team. Fake Out is to stall Trick Room.
Mach Punch + STAB + Technican Boost = Pure Destruction. Sucker Punch is for Psychic Types, and other pokemon I have trouble with.

So, that is my spin on Ryan Arnold's winning team. I would appreciate some help on it, so please do comment with suggestion.

What I've noticed is the reduced usage of Discharge on Zapdos mostly because people don't want to:

a) Run a team that completely resists Discharge, because that would be a poorly typed team

or

b) Waste useful turns using Protect to protect themselves from getting hit by their teammates attacks.

I think that Discharge really takes away from the synergy needed to do well in VGC so I suggest running Thunderbolt as it has more power and doesn't lower synergy.

I suggest replacing Drain Punch with Mach Punch because your not going to be getting much recovery from Drain Punch. Plus anytime you aren't going to be using a priority move your probably going to want to Spore them anyway.

Lucario doesn't have much presence on this team, it's sorta the oddball I'd suggest switching for a common Fake Out user like Hitmontop or Inner Focus Gallade with Trick Room to be immune to Fake Out and be allowed to reverse the dimensions with him, that way you canrun a much needed protect on chandelure instead of TR.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
One thing I noticed is that everything on your team except Hitmontop is weak to either Ice or Rock (or both, in Zapdos's case).

Also, on Abomasnow, Earthquake won't be doing any significant damage even super effectively (seriously, it's not even a guaranteed 2HKO on non-Shuca Heatran, and it's a 4HKO on 252/0 Chandelure and a 5HKO on Tyranitar). You should at the very least give it a mixed nature, and maybe consider some Attack EVs as well.

I I think Jolly Breloom with a Focus Sash outclasses the more standard Breloom you have here. One of the biggest things a Jolly Breloom can outrun is Modest, non-Scarf Shandy, which can certainly damage your team.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
I would prefer Thundurus or Tornadus over Zapdos because of its Prankster ability, but that's just me. Tornadus can set up Tailwind first because of its ability. Ask me any questions if you'd like! XD

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
I would prefer Thundurus or Tornadus over Zapdos because of its Prankster ability, but that's just me. Tornadus can set up Tailwind first because of its ability. Ask me any questions if you'd like! XD
I'd think Zapdos would still be better for that, since it has more bulk, access to Heat Wave, and most people won't bother Taunting it so it can still set up Tailwind fine.

Alright, I've come around to take a look a some changes.

@voodoo pimp
You're Right, Earthquake on Abomasnow really is bad. However, My Abomasnow has a Dark Hidden Power. So, I'm going to try using Water Pulse in the third slot. Best counter I have to Rock/Fire/Ground Types. Also, I see what you're saying about the Ice/Rock Weakness. Ice should be taken care of by Zapdos' and Chandelure's Heat Wave, as well as Hitmontop's STAB + Technician Mach Punch. Most Rock Types are Physically defensive, so Abomasnow's Blizzard puts a dent in them.

@Driftblim
I actually prefer the Adamant Set I have on Breloom. I feel that a Focus Sash is more useful on Chandelure, as it has much more weaknesses to multiple-target moves.

@MavsObbession
Zapdos may not have Prankster, but Tailwind isn't the main reason I use Zapdos. Thunderbolt and Heat Wave are good moves, Zapdos' stats are good, and it has access to Tailwind if I need it.

Thanks for all the help~

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
@voodoo pimp
You're Right, Earthquake on Abomasnow really is bad. However, My Abomasnow has a Dark Hidden Power. So, I'm going to try using Water Pulse in the third slot. Best counter I have to Rock/Fire/Ground Types. Also, I see what you're saying about the Ice/Rock Weakness. Ice should be taken care of by Zapdos' and Chandelure's Heat Wave, as well as Hitmontop's STAB + Technician Mach Punch. Most Rock Types are Physically defensive, so Abomasnow's Blizzard puts a dent in them.
Keep in mind that not every Pokémon with an Ice attack is going to be an Ice-type (the only common Ice-types in my experience are Abomasnow and Weavile). In particular, most Water-types carry an Ice move, and if you're locked into anything other than Giga Drain on Abomasnow you might have trouble with them. Same goes for Rock, not to mention Tyranitar's huge special bulk.

Alright, I've come around to take a look a some changes.

@voodoo pimp

@Driftblim
I actually prefer the Adamant Set I have on Breloom. I feel that a Focus Sash is more useful on Chandelure, as it has much more weaknesses to multiple-target moves.

@MavsObbession
Zapdos may not have Prankster, but Tailwind isn't the main reason I use Zapdos. Thunderbolt and Heat Wave are good moves, Zapdos' stats are good, and it has access to Tailwind if I need it.

Thanks for all the help~

You have to be willing to make changes people are telling you to make, this is a RATE my team post. You'll find that Breloom isn't as bulky as it seems, and will need a focus sash.

You have to be willing to make changes people are telling you to make, this is a RATE my team post. You'll find that Breloom isn't as bulky as it seems, and will need a focus sash.
Honestly, I did forget that Chandelure has its own focus sash. I think Adamant Breloom is a bit overrated, it just fails to Sleep a few other things before they get a chance to wreck it. A sash isn't entirely necesary, but it is one of the better options. And it is WAY less predictable then the Chandelure set you are running, which is certainly good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)