International WiFi Tournament -International Challenge- WON BY Cybertron

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I know this might not be the best suggestion but if they cant tell who d/c'd why don't they give the win to whoever logs back on wifi 1st. I mean after a person d/c's they have to turn on their ds's again while the person who gt d/c'd on can log back on wifi quickly.
The person who gets D/C'd on never actually loses their connection, I'm pretty sure, since you immediately get the option to continue without having to reconnect. So either there's some other reason they can't detect it or they're just lazy.

Admiral Kuzan

formerly MavsObbession
LOL, it really upsets me that people DC when they're about to lose.... People care more about their record than their actual skill. XD

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
they probably will find a way to fix the issue because iirc there is a variable in the game to record d/c's.

in the mean time, let's not worry about the disconnecting saga from the autumn unfriendly, since we all got a little bitter last time from that lol

Haha, I didn't do the Autumn Friendly, but from what I've heard, it was pretty depressing :P
Still, like Biosci said, for competitive players this shouldn't really be about winning, it's just a great opportunity to practice. I'm looking forward to it :D
(Honestly though, I rage enough when I loose on Random Matchup, so I'm sure winning and then getting DCed must be pretty frustrating...I really wish they could find a way to fix this problem...)

This should be alot of fun. I was 12-7 in the Autumn Friendly with 4 d/c. Cannot wait to test my skills vs. THE WORLD!! I am very much looking forward to meeting some great trainers.

Alright, it doesn't look like I'll be on a college visit for this one!
We don't know the format or anything yet though?

Feels good that this is for VGC12, will definately be entering considering I'm attending every european qualifier this year it'll be yet another way to test out the international metagame and get a true understanding of it ready for Madrid and Milan since they wouldn't of happened by the time this begins.

I am looking forward to the Japanese participating in this challenge. Any idea if we win any points of any sort for getting in top 10 or something?

First off I would like to apologize if this post is off topic or in the wrong section but it relates to the rules of what pokemon are allowed for this sort of thing in general (In terms of certain pokemon being banned in tournements) so my bad if this shouldn't be here but I don't wana start a topic and get it locked and I don't wana drag it up in another topic.

But I was curious as to things like Mew,Celebi, Jirachi, and etc being banned for a long time. The only logical reason I could see for it being because people complaining about how "Hard" they are to obtain. However when I recently got a reply from the Pokemon Customer (Bad spelling I think) Service telling me their "Event and Development teams" saying these pokemon are "Unbalanced and create unfair play in matches" and I wanted to get some opinions on this. Would this sort of stuff add to strategy at VGC's or WiFi tournments like this? Or would it, as they say, make it more unbalanced or focused on these pokemon? Also if anyone is interested I also want to try setting up a few battles with average tourny tules with the addition of the Pokemon like the ones listed above allowed, so I can show these so called "Event Teams" how they probably wouldn't create an overpowered team or unbalance.

Again completly sorry if this is in the wrong place. Just wanted to vent and get some opinions. And since this type of thing could (Wishfully) be incorporated into major tournies like this international one I wanted to see if I was the only one that thought this or if the "developement team" is correct in saying unbalanced.

First off I would like to apologize if this post is off topic or in the wrong section but it relates to the rules of what pokemon are allowed for this sort of thing in general (In terms of certain pokemon being banned in tournements) so my bad if this shouldn't be here but I don't wana start a topic and get it locked and I don't wana drag it up in another topic.

But I was curious as to things like Mew,Celebi, Jirachi, and etc being banned for a long time. The only logical reason I could see for it being because people complaining about how "Hard" they are to obtain. However when I recently got a reply from the Pokemon Customer (Bad spelling I think) Service telling me their "Event and Development teams" saying these pokemon are "Unbalanced and create unfair play in matches" and I wanted to get some opinions on this. Would this sort of stuff add to strategy at VGC's or WiFi tournments like this? Or would it, as they say, make it more unbalanced or focused on these pokemon? Also if anyone is interested I also want to try setting up a few battles with average tourny tules with the addition of the Pokemon like the ones listed above allowed, so I can show these so called "Event Teams" how they probably wouldn't create an overpowered team or unbalance.

Again completly sorry if this is in the wrong place. Just wanted to vent and get some opinions. And since this type of thing could (Wishfully) be incorporated into major tournies like this international one I wanted to see if I was the only one that thought this or if the "developement team" is correct in saying unbalanced.
All of the Pokemon that are banned are REALLY unbalanced. Just look at their base stat totals. Mew can learn any TM, Jirachi has STAB Iron head with a 60% chance to flinch with great stats. I could go on. These pokemon would be on almost every competitive team and make the metagame very stale and make many pokemon unusable if the banned pokemon were allowed.

All of the Pokemon that are banned are REALLY unbalanced. Just look at their base stat totals. Mew can learn any TM, Jirachi has STAB Iron head with a 60% chance to flinch with great stats. I could go on. These pokemon would be on almost every competitive team and make the metagame very stale and make many pokemon unusable if the banned pokemon were allowed.
Shaymin, Jirachi, Darkrai, Deoxys are all overpowered. Mew is just unpredictable. The main reason they all are banned is because of the fact many people would have to hack to get them. Even though events are necessary to get Zoroark, it is not overpowered and everybody has had SO MANY oppurtunities to get it or Zorua

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
Shaymin-L and Jirachi aren't really overpowered, but I agree that "it encourages hacking" is probably the most likely reason. Zoroark can be bred, so that's an entirely different matter.

It may just be that some people don't have access to a wi-fi location. I didn't until recently, so it's entirely possible that there are some 6-year-olds out there without a wi-fi hotspot around. It isn't at all to do with being "over-powered" (look at Excadrill and Garchomp for some good examples), but it is probably out of Nintendo's hatred of hacks, or fairness on those without wi-fi. That said, Dream World abilities and berries are allowed, so it may not be down to accessibility.

Shaymin, Jirachi, Darkrai, Deoxys are all overpowered. Mew is just unpredictable. The main reason they all are banned is because of the fact many people would have to hack to get them. Even though events are necessary to get Zoroark, it is not overpowered and everybody has had SO MANY oppurtunities to get it or Zorua
No I was talking more along the lines of Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin, Manaphy, and Victini for future refrence, events that aren't that overpowered when you look at them. What tier are these pokes in? With the exception of manaphy practically all of them are UU or NU (So sue me, don't follow low tiers). And if they are low tiered it proves that they aren't "overpowered or unblanced" as the company says. And I only brought up the pokemon I just listed to the company. And their reason for banning isn't even the whole "Hard to get to event" thing, it's just there so called teams testing and determining bans, this while stuff like Garchomp destruction going on is laughable.

El Scorcho. No they wouldn't make the game that unbalanced. BST has nothing to do with a pokemons power (Slaking and Regigigas are allowed with higher BST and are noticably meh). Mew is killed in similar ways as Latios and Latias via Tyranitar. Which can massively destroy most of said pokes simply. Celebi has a crap ton of weakness's and so its not too hard to beat. Jirachi is not taking anything that has fighting priority. Manaphy...dunno actually haven't tested it in a vgc battle. Shaymin is hit by fire types easily and doesn't really have too much in terms of power. Victini, even with v-create, is easily hit by priority moves.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
No I was talking more along the lines of Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Shaymin, Manaphy, and Victini for future refrence, events that aren't that overpowered when you look at them. What tier are these pokes in? With the exception of manaphy practically all of them are UU or NU (So sue me, don't follow low tiers). And if they are low tiered it proves that they aren't "overpowered or unblanced" as the company says. And I only brought up the pokemon I just listed to the company. And their reason for banning isn't even the whole "Hard to get to event" thing, it's just there so called teams testing and determining bans, this while stuff like Garchomp destruction going on is laughable.
The only thing is GF doesn't give a F about smogon tiers. They don't care if there NU or not. Pokemon like the ones listed are classified as hard to get and GF is trying to be fair to those without access to these events. If they were catchable ingame without the need of a event they'll be usable but there not. Do you think nintendo actually test their pokemon lol. They can release something like a Sand rush garchomp and it'll be awwww'right in GF's eyes.

Plus this is to discuss this tournament. Not what if. Event pkmn will be banned from nintendo play until teh rulez say you can use them. Can we stick to the tournament preaz.

I hope I don't find many pokesav players that the tournament, it's annoying when you actually train your pokemon just to be killed by someone who spent 5 min at a computer.

Anyways I don't know why we have this DC problem. In Mega man Starforce 3 if you shut off your game mid battle you get a 2.5 min long lecture and get a null on your record.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
They're banned because it's an easy clear-cut way of banning Pokemon. They are the rules of the tournament and we have no control over them. So yes, this discussion is off-topic and pretty pointless to discuss.

Back to the tournament discussion:

Seeing as the Autumn Friendly had more participants than anticipated, do you guys think there will probably be more than 50,000 players in this?

Edit: Do you guys think they're likely to add more spaces if more than 50,000 people want to play.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Back to the tournament discussion:

Seeing as the Autumn Friendly had more participants than anticipated, do you guys think there will probably be more than 500,000 players in this?

Edit: Do you guys think they're likely to add more spaces if more than 500,000 people want to play.
Well they did it in AU because there was only 10000(?) spots, and there were wayyy more people that wanted to play so they bumped it up to 30000. If 50000 fills up quickly then maybe they'll bump it up but I think its unlikely.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
50,000, not 500,000, isn't it? And yes, I would not be at all surprised if it fills up and they decide to add more.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes, it's 50,000. With 25,000 reserved for Japan and the addition of Korea, there's less spots this time than there were at the end last time. I can see them upping the limit if it needs to be but to be safe I'd register asap.

Yes, it's 50,000. With 25,000 reserved for Japan and the addition of Korea, there's less spots this time than there were at the end last time. I can see them upping the limit if it needs to be but to be safe I'd register asap.
If the up the limit for U.S. (which seems possible, but unlikely) they are uping the limit for everyone to keep it fair. The real problem is the Autumn Friend in the U.S. had a limit bump while the equivelent in Japan didn't. I am on the side of hoping that the Japanese maintain controll of the limit and the amount of participents doesn't get raised. I already have my cousin ready to register me the moment the spots open which is why I'm not worried too much. But the more the people the more the Dc's. Exspecially because Americans are usually more common to onpurposely dc, not saying it's impossible for other nations because today someone dc'd after seeing shiny top and chomp on Doubles, but overall Americans have the dc'ing problem.

Also fair question. Does anyone know how much people Dc'd in the Japanese event that was the autumn unfriendly's equivelent, or at least an idea of how much? Something tells me less Japanese have a heck of a lot less dc's then the U.S.

If the up the limit for U.S. (which seems possible, but unlikely) they are uping the limit for everyone to keep it fair. The real problem is the Autumn Friend in the U.S. had a limit bump while the equivelent in Japan didn't. I am on the side of hoping that the Japanese maintain controll of the limit and the amount of participents doesn't get raised. I already have my cousin ready to register me the moment the spots open which is why I'm not worried too much. But the more the people the more the Dc's. Exspecially because Americans are usually more common to onpurposely dc, not saying it's impossible for other nations because today someone dc'd after seeing shiny top and chomp on Doubles, but overall Americans have the dc'ing problem.

Also fair question. Does anyone know how much people Dc'd in the Japanese event that was the autumn unfriendly's equivelent, or at least an idea of how much? Something tells me less Japanese have a heck of a lot less dc's then the U.S.
I don't know an exact number for that tourny, but from my experience on the GBU, high rank Japanese players are just as, if not more, likely to D.C. I may just be getting unlucky, but there doesn't appear to be much of a difference to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)