No-Playerlist Mafia - Game Over: Assassins and Unclesam win

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
1) Are you a coward? If yes, you may skip the next question and go to Section II.
"Coward" is a societal construct that I choose to reject.

2) Justify your answer.
I would probably be considered a coward by most people

1) Do you believe in God?
No.

2) Do you believe in Evolution?
It's completely immaterial whether I "believe" in some scientific issue.

3) Do you believe in Anthropogenic Climate Change?
See: 2

4) Explain your answers to (1), (2), and (3) in one sentence each.
As Feynman (?) once said, I'd rather have no answers than answers that might be wrong. As for 2 and 3, everyone has the same facts. Saying "I believe in Evolution" is like saying "I believe that the solution to the differential equation dy/dx=2x and y(0)=0 is x^2". Nobody cares about my belief, or your belief, etc. What matters is the truth, and while there is a lot of evidence for it, Evolution still may be wrong. Things like random selection probably account for more actually speciation than natural selection. What matters is the truth, not whether or not anyone chooses to accept that truth.

1) Do you think you can best me in a game of Diplomacy?
You've beaten me before but I've become much better since we last played. Yes.

2) Suppose you just got home from school. If you saw a cupcake lying out in the open, would you eat it?
It would probably have been put there by someone I trust, so I'd eat it. I'm also American.

3) Can you solve the following differential equation?
dy / dx = 2x

with the initial condition

y(0) = 0

yes

4) If you answered "No" to the above question, write "I do not know enough Calculus" as your response to this question. If you answered "Yes", write the solution to the differential equation in the above question.

y=exp{cot(x+5)/gamma(8.2x^3)}

1) Write your own question here.
Read any good books lately?

2) Look at the most recently posted survey response. Write your answer to the question that particular user wrote for (1) in Section IV of his or her survey here. If you are the first person to respond to the survey and therefore do not have a question to answer here, simply respond with "First!"RINGO 4LYFE
It's also deadline. Update coming extremely soon.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
1) Are you a coward? If yes, you may skip the next question and go to Section II.

i do not know, i would like to think not

2) Justify your answer.

i am not particularly scared of much, but i find facing ones fears rather not being afraid of anything is far less cowardly

no

ye

it is a contributing factor

1) as a child i stopped believing in God when i realised the rich got richer and the poor just got poorer. if there truly was a benevolent God, there'd be no rampant poverty etc. then all the evidence just seemed to pile up as i grew up.

2) i am studying biology at university next year, planning to study a heavy genetics based course, so its pretty natural i'd be an evolutionist. evolution is the most scientifically backed theory and creationism just doesn't cut the mustard at all!

3) humans contribute to the greenhouse gases in the atmosphere - fact
excess greenhouse gases causes higher levels of re-emitted infrared radiation - fact
this does seem to point to a human influenced climate change, although i do buy in to the belief that the Earth has 'temperature cycles' and we're just exacerbating the issue. (although tbh i had to ask jumpluff what anthropogenic meant)

no

2) Suppose you just got home from school. If you saw a cupcake lying out in the open, would you eat it?

yes

dy / dx = 2x

y(0) = 0

(Write Yes or No)

yes

4) If you answered "No" to the above question, write "I do not know enough Calculus" as your response to this question. If you answered "Yes", write the solution to the differential equation in the above question.

y= x^2

not gonna lie this took me fucking ages due to a mixture of being bad at maths and billymills making me think my original answer was wrong

would you pay £2 to see jumpluff's face with a sign that has her name written on it?

2) Look at the most recently posted survey response. Write your answer to the question that particular user wrote for (1) in Section IV of his or her survey here. If you are the first person to respond to the survey and therefore do not have a question to answer here, simply respond with "First!"

no

Good luck!

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
After a eventful night culminating in a calculus exam that nobody expected, you all wake up refreshed. Everything looks the same as it did before. Granted, there are now some loose papers with differential equations flying around, but other than that, no changes.

It appears that nobody has died on Night 0 (shocker). Results will be going out shortly.

It is now Day 1. Day 1 ends 48 hours and lim_x->infinity sin(1/x) minutes as of this post.

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Speaking of deadlines, you have until 24 hours after this post (halfway through Day 1) to sign up for my competition in a competition (by completing the survey). Some of the responses so far have been very insightful, so I hope to see more!

Yes

2) Justify your answer.

I don't want to

Yes

Yes

Yes

1) I am a Christian, and I cannot believe how anything can exist without a supernatural force/being
2) God did it, and there is proof
3) Make sense, what's occurring with the temperature of the Earth is due CO2 causing a greenhouse effect

Never heard of it, so no

No

dy / dx = 2x

y(0) = 0

(Write Yes or No)
No

I do not know enough Calculus

Closed-Ended Question: If I were to ask you on a date, would your answer to that be the same as the answer to this question?

2) Look at the most recently posted survey response. Write your answer to the question that particular user wrote for (1) in Section IV of his or her survey here. If you are the first person to respond to the survey and therefore do not have a question to answer here, simply respond with "First!"

Sure?

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay people seem to not want to claim to me. So I'll actually claim.

Daenym said:
Dear Ditto,
You are Griffin.

You are a scientist who devoted yourself to research into optics and invented a way to change a body's refractive index to that of air so that it absorbs and reflects no light and thus becomes invisible. You successfully carried out this procedure on yourself, but failed to reverse the procedure.

At night you may PM askaninjask and Daenym <snip>.

<snip>

You are allied with the Invisibles. You win if the Invisibles outlive the Assassins, the Alchemist, and the Stalinist Coalition for a Better Tomorrow.
Y'all better claim now.

I believe I'd meet the stereotypical criterion for "coward", yes.

2) Justify your answer.

Yes; He of Judeo-Christian fame.

As a process, yes.

I'm not sufficiently informed on the subject to give an opinion.

1) I grew up in a Christian home, and I've seen too many things in my church that simply aren't ordinarily possible to be swayed otherwise; coincidence after coincidence tends to suggest a pattern.

2) The research behind evolution as a process is sound, but it's not adequately supported as a genesis of species.

3) I like not to have an opinion if I'm not well-informed enough to have an accurate, well-reasoned one.

I don't have sufficient information to determine that, but I'm inclined to believe that I wouldn't be [both as a matter of avoiding a fall from hubris and from the little information I know about you (read: that you gave this quiz)]

Nah, but mostly because I'm dieting.

dy / dx = 2x

y(0) = 0

(Write Yes or No)

Yes

y=x^2

How, using Monty Python logic, would you detect a witch? Be original, please.

I can neither confirm nor deny whether my answer to this question will be the same as the answer to the hypothetical question.

UncleSam

Leading this village

I am not a coward.

2) Justify your answer.

I cannot say I have ever been in any combat situation, but I have spoken/presented in front of large groups of people many times before (which the majority of the population in the United States fears even more than death according to some people/studies), and, though I would not consider joining the military because I feel I can be significantly more successful in other fields, if the United States were to institute a draft I would not hesitate to serve my country.

No I do not. I am not an atheist, but I am an agnostic who thinks that it is highly, highly unlikely anything resembling our typical construct of "God" exists.

I don't think this is a valid question. "Believe" implies that Evolution is a subjective matter open to opinion, while in reality it is a scientific fact that, for one reason or another, species change over time. There are varying theories as to why this is the case (and Darwin's theories were NOT terribly accurate in the details, by the way), but frankly I don't understand why this is a debate at all. That Evolution happens is not a theory, the methods and reasons behind it are. A more valid question, I think, would be "Do you understand Evolution?", to which my answer would be "I have a reasonably good understanding of the modern theory of evolution (at least in comparison to the majority of the population), though I understood it better/more thoroughly while I was taking Biology last year."

Again, I would rephrase this as "Do you understand Anthropogenic Climate Change", and my answer to that would be "Not really". I certainly know that it is continuously happening and has been for billions of years. Perhaps a more interesting question would be "Do you believe in Man-Made Climate Change?", to which I would answer "I think it is highly likely, but I have yet to see any conclusive studies on the matter." In other words, I am not certain whether or not man is driving/causing climate change because I have not studied it thoroughly enough, though the majority of intelligent/scientifically knowledgeable people that I know seem to believe in it (notice that I say "believe" because it is a theory and not a fact), so that is why I say that I think it is highly likely.

Oops.

If I put my mind to learning it and you gave me time/many chances to beat you, I'm pretty sure I could. If I were to play you now I am quite certain you would trounce me thoroughly.

Absolutely not. Not only is it on the floor, but I find frosting (and artificial food coloring in general) to be revolting.

dy / dx = 2x

y(0) = 0

(Write Yes or No)

Yes.

dy/dx = 2x | Multiply both sides by dx
dy = 2x * dx | Integrate both sides of the equation
y = x^2 + C (Some unknown constant) | Plug in known initial values of x=0 and y=0 to find C
0 = 0^2 + C => C = 0 | Plug C back into the solved equation
y = x^2

This statement is false.

Is this a paradox or not? If you answer yes, explain why it is a paradox. If you answer no, present a solution to the paradox. If you do not know what a paradox is, refer to this page. If you cannot answer the question even after clicking on that link, say "I do not know whether or not that is a paradox".

(Yes I know this is a softball but I am legitimately interested in seeing whether or not Smogon users know simple logical rules or not)

No it would not.

My reasoning:

-My answer to the question "
If I were to ask you on a date, would your answer to that be the same as the answer to this question?" would be "Fuck You".
-My answer to the question "Want to go out on a date" would be "Fuck you".

Edit: Due to getting ninja'd, I will also answer terrador's question:
-Obviously the answer is to see if she weighs as much as a duck. This is unoriginal, but any other answer would be blatantly false.

Good luck!

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No
2) Justify your answer.
Even if I am afraid, it doesn't stop me from doing what I want.

No
Yes
Yes
There is no evidence to support a God, or any kind of deity, whereas there is plenty of evidence to support Evolution and Climate Change caused by humans.

No
Hell yeah
dy / dx = 2x

y(0) = 0

(Write Yes or No)
Yes
y = x^2

To get the thing you want most in the world, would you be willing to kill someone?
2) Look at the most recently posted survey response. Write your answer to the question that particular user wrote for (1) in Section IV of his or her survey
here. If you are the first person to respond to the survey and therefore do not have a question to answer here, simply respond with "First!"
Yes. If the statement is false, then it must be true, therefore, it is a paradox.

Good luck!

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Hi I would recommend not claiming to Ditto, as from my own PM, the admittedly limited amount of people that I've talked to, and the example pm's in the first post, there are generally 3 sentences for flavor, not 2. You can claim to me if you want, but my ability sort of blows, so I'm skeptical about my ability to lead. I certainly wouldn't claim to someone claiming my ability at least. But feel free to do so; hopefully doing this gives some reason to believe I'm town if this read turns out being warranted.

But yeah.

Avoid Ditto, and in case no one else has any better ideas,

Lynch Ditto

I have three lines of flavour.

No lynch

This is an expert game with the custom rules disfavouring the village. Therefore the village must be designed to survive some misinformation and slow startup. I'm more willing to risk that slow startup than accidental mislynch.

Plus getting billyrolled on D1 is not fun. (Actually let's billyroll y/n?)

I'm not going to vote Ditto, but I'm certainly not going to claim to him and I have absolutely no idea why I would be expected to just because a bunch of <snips> were posted, no offence.

UncleSam

Leading this village
Ok Ditto has provided shitall reason to trust him and every reason to lynch him, and the village needs an alternative. Of course, I am happy to oblige!

UncleSam said:
Dear UncleSam,
You are John Edward Gammel.

You were the cop assigned to Leonard Shelby’s case when two men broke into his house, raped his wife and smashed his head against a mirror, causing him to develop anterograde amnesia. Though Leonard shot one of the invaders, you, sympathetic to his quest for revenge against the second man (known only as “John G”), helped him track down the man and kill him…but he didn’t remember it. So, ever since you have been appearing and disappearing (almost like a ghost, which happens to be invisible, HEH) in Leonard’s life, leaving false clues framing others for the crime in order to satiate Leonard’s unending desire for vengeance, and to make a few bucks on the side.

At night you may PM askaninjask and Daenym “NX - Investigating <user>.” You will utilize your police connections to track down everyone who has targeted <user> during previous nights, and will also uncover what each perpetrator was targeting <user> with. You may investigate dead users.

<Snip>

You are allied with the Invisibles. You win if the Invisibles outlast the Assassins, the Alchemist, and the Stalinist Coalition for a Better Tomorrow.
I obviously didn't target anyone last night since I can only see who targeted someone on a previous night, but I am basically this game's version of our inspector. I expect everyone to claim to me and the bodyguard to protect me at the conclusion of this lynch.

In the meantime, Ditto has a fucked up win condition and way too little flavor, so it is pretty obvious who we will be lynching today.

Lynch Ditto

And in case anyone didn't get this already, CLAIM TO ME AFTER THE CONCLUSION OF THIS LYNCH.

UncleSam

Leading this village
[11:17] <Ditto> Guys, I'm not playing
[11:17] <Ditto> so don't bother lynching me

This is Ditto's defense. In other words, there is absolutely no risk involved in this and no upside to no lynching instead of lynching Ditto because if he isn't playing we no lynch and if he is then he is lying and therefore mafia.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)