move 3: Psychic / Psyshock
move 4: Protect / Ice Beam / Flamethrower
item: Sitrus Berry / Mental Herb
ability: Regenerator
nature: Quiet
evs: 244 HP / 156 SpA / 108 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
- Using a Trick Room set allows Slowbro to take advantage of its abysmal speed.
- Scald for the 30% chance of burn which is sometimes useful.
- Alternatively, Surf for better damage and the ability to hit both opponents but this requires a suitable teammate.
- Also, Psychic can be run for coverage while acting as its second STAB.
- Protect is a staple in the metagame for its many uses in this tier.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
- EV's in SpA to maximize damage and the rest dumped into HP to retain some bulk.
- Slowbro struggles to take care of bulky water types so it appreciates help against them.
- Ferrothorn is slow enough for Trick Room and also nails bulky waters with STAB grass attacks.
- Eelektross also benefits from Trick Room and similarly smashes water types with STAB electric attacks.
- Slow bulky fighting types like Conekeldurr, Scrafty and Hariyama benefit from Trick Room and can scare away Ferrothron while also providing Slowbro the chance to set up Trick Room with Fake Out support(in Hariyama's and Scrafty's cases).
- Politoed brings in rain which increases the damage on Scald / Surf and slows down Swift Swimmers due to Trick Room, both which Slowbro can take advantage of.
- Abomasnow provides Hail which is useful paired with Blizzard for the 100% accuracy and the higher base damage it gives.

[Other Options]
- Wacan Berry allows Slowbro to take stronger electric type attacks if needed but the given EV spread does that well.
- Choice Specs is an option to hit hard without any set up although it requires Trick room support to work well.
- Colbur Berry can help Slowbro take STAB Dark type attacks from the likes of Tyranitar and Scrafty.

- Fire Blast can be used to deal with opposing Ferrothorn or Scizor at the cost of a lower accuracy.
- Slack Off can be used to heal Slowbro but it loses out on coverage/Protect if it is used.
- Blizzard can also be used in a hail team for the 100% accuracy.
- Counter works well with Slowbro's bulk to surprise physical attackers.
- Grass Knot can be used to deal with some bulky waters.
- Heal Pulse for healing your partner which works well with Trick room. Rage Powder / Follow Me can backfire your strategy along with your partner dying before you get the chance to use it.
- Shadow Ball and Signal Beam can be used to deal damage to psychic types and ghosts although the main STABs are usually better.
- Icy Wind and Thunder Wave are good options to lower the opponent's speed if Trick room isn't active.
- Light screen can be used to live stronger special based super effective attacks.
- Safeguard to prevent status, which works well with Trick Room, making Slowbro more support oriented.

[Checks and Counters]
- Ferrothorn and other grass types such as Rotom-C, Ludicolo and Amoonguss can take any attack in Slowbro's arsenal other than the rare Fire Blast / Flamethrower while hitting back with STAB Grass attacks.
- Rotom W can take Psychic well and can swiftly OHKO with its STAB Thunderbolt.
- Similarly Zapdos can strike with its own STAB Thunderbolt.
- Gastrodon completely shuts down Slowbro who without Grass knot due to Storm Drain and even more so if Slowbro doesn't have Psychic.
- Latios/Latias and Hydreigon all resist Slowbro's STABs which would require Slowbro to run Signal Beam / Shadow Ball to deal with them. Hydreigon possesses STAB Dark Pulse while Latios/Latias can have Thunderbolt both which will greatly damage Slowbro.

Personally I can't see Slowbro abusing Calm Mind in this metagame, setups aren't really useful here.

Also Icy Wind and T-Wave should never ever be considered, as Slowbro should only be used in a Trick Room set, it always fails if not.

I'd also mention Rain Dance as it can slow down Swift Swimmers in Trick Room and boosts Scald/Surf's power.

Another option for a partner is a good slow Fighting-type like Conkeldurr and Hariyama.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I'd slash Slack Off with Protect and not Psychic. Running a mono-attacking Slowbro is too risky due to Gastrodon and Jellicent. While Protect is standard, it's not mandatory.

Grass types pretty much walk over Slowbro if it lacks Psychic, Ice Beam, or Flamethrower: Rotom-C, Ludicolo, Ferrothorn, Amoonguss. Cacturne is a hard counter if Slowbro's not running Flamethrower or Ice Beam, but is rare to see.

Politoed makes an excellent partner for setting up rain and powering up Surf/Scald, and like the previous commenter said, for "slowing down" Swift Swimmers under Trick Room, although common Swift Swim abusers can hit Slowbro for neutral damage.

Personally I can't see Slowbro abusing Calm Mind in this metagame, setups aren't really useful here.

Also Icy Wind and T-Wave should never ever be considered, as Slowbro should only be used in a Trick Room set, it always fails if not.

I'd also mention Rain Dance as it can slow down Swift Swimmers in Trick Room and boosts Scald/Surf's power.

Another option for a partner is a good slow Fighting-type like Conkeldurr and Hariyama.
Agreed on CM, will remove that shortly. I still think the Icy Wind and Thunder Wave deserve a mention in OO due to some situational use that they might have outside Trick Room. Idk though I appreciate more comments on that.

Agreed on Rain Dance support and partners will add that shortly as well.

Thanks!

I'd slash Slack Off with Protect and not Psychic. Running a mono-attacking Slowbro is too risky due to Gastrodon and Jellicent. While Protect is standard, it's not mandatory.

Grass types pretty much walk over Slowbro if it lacks Psychic, Ice Beam, or Flamethrower: Rotom-C, Ludicolo, Ferrothorn, Amoonguss. Cacturne is a hard counter if Slowbro's not running Flamethrower or Ice Beam, but is rare to see.

Politoed makes an excellent partner for setting up rain and powering up Surf/Scald, and like the previous commenter said, for "slowing down" Swift Swimmers under Trick Room, although common Swift Swim abusers can hit Slowbro for neutral damage.
Slashing Slack Off with Protect makes sense but I still feel Protect is useful on Slowbro since he sets up TR and will need to scout for random taunts among other uses. True that mono water coverage leaves too many counters open but I'm not sure about whether Slack Off or Protect get first preference for a moveslot.

Will add the counters you provided thanks!

I'm also about to add priorities based on the two comments above.

EDIT: Added everything that I agreed with / was sure of.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
-Protect should be slashed first, it's just too useful and as a Trick Room user (setter?) Slowbro will often get double targeted, in which case a Protect is much more effective than succumbing while trying to get off a Slack Off.

-Slash Regenerator (it is "Regenerator", and not "Regenarator", by the way) before Own Tempo, you'll hardly ever have confusing moves used against you, and even though Slowbro will often not switch out it's a great ability on the chance it does.

-204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 SpD with a Sassy nature is a better EV spread, it nearly guarantees you will survive a Modest Chandelure Shadow Ball (which from my testing is very important if you want to get TR up), and doesn't decrease attacking power all that much. EDIT: R Inanimate always has stronger EV spreads :P

-Protect should be slashed first, it's just too useful and as a Trick Room user (setter?) Slowbro will often get double targeted, in which case a Protect is much more effective than succumbing while trying to get off a Slack Off.

-Slash Regenerator (it is "Regenerator", and not "Regenarator", by the way) before Own Tempo, you'll hardly ever have confusing moves used against you, and even though Slowbro will often not switch out it's a great ability on the chance it does.

-204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 SpD with a Sassy nature is a better EV spread, it nearly guarantees you will survive a Modest Chandelure Shadow Ball (which from my testing is very important if you want to get TR up), and doesn't decrease attacking power all that much.
- Agreed and Done

- Corrected spelling o_o Didn't think I would miss that lol. And again agreed and switched.

- Did calcs on damage and the lower HP/SpA doesn't really help against common KO's so yeah will change this too.

EDIT: Done ready for QC and other comments.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think that 252 hp / 236 spatk / 20 spdef is even better. It give you the same special bulk and about 3.5% more physical bulk at the cost of only 1% spatk.

EDIT: I totally did all those calcs for Slowking which is a little embarrassing, you can't make quite as much improvement with bro but 252 hp / 228 spatk / 28 spdef goes 3/2 instead of 3.5/1

I think that 252 hp / 236 spatk / 20 spdef is even better. It give you the same special bulk and about 3.5% more physical bulk at the cost of only 1% spatk.

EDIT: I totally did all those calcs for Slowking which is a little embarrassing, you can't make quite as much improvement with bro but 252 hp / 228 spatk / 28 spdef goes 3/2 instead of 3.5/1
KK ran calcs again that's true. The SpA drops don't seem to be missing out on KO's since Slowbro needs to switch out against a big threat anyways.

EDIT: Changed again

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
Is there a reason why we're using Sassy Nature here?

204 HP / 156 SpA / 148 SpD Quiet Nature, would give 2 more Special Attack and 2 more Special Defense compared to JRank's 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 SpD Sassy, and guarantees Slowbro survives Chandelure's Shadow Ball unless it criticals.

Alternatively, 244 HP / 156 SpA / 108 SpD Quiet, keeps Slowbro's SpA at 154 which is more than 252 SpA EVs with a Sassy, and is a drop of 1 HP compared to 252 HP / 228 SpA / 28 SpD Sassy.

Is there a reason why we're using Sassy Nature here?

204 HP / 156 SpA / 148 SpD Quiet Nature, would give 2 more Special Attack and 2 more Special Defense compared to JRank's 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 SpD Sassy, and guarantees Slowbro survives Chandelure's Shadow Ball unless it criticals.

Alternatively, 244 HP / 156 SpA / 108 SpD Quiet, keeps Slowbro's SpA at 154 which is more than 252 SpA EVs with a Sassy, and is a drop of 1 HP compared to 252 HP / 228 SpA / 28 SpD Sassy.
Sassy was to survive Chandelure's Shadow Ball a good percent of the time but now 244 HP / 156 SpA / 108 SpD Quiet seems to be the best option. Again will run calcs.

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ah, I didn't even look at quiet again, thought JRank had already ruled it out as less efficient.

EDIT: ok my spread made to be more efficient with Quiet: 252 hp / 148 spatk / 108 spdef. Which I now notice is basically what r posted and his used the nature to garner one more point overall, so go whether 1 hp or 2 spatk is better is questionable but either is good.

Ah, I didn't even look at quiet again, thought JRank had already ruled it out as less efficient.

EDIT: ok my spread made to be more efficient with Quiet: 252 hp / 148 spatk / 108 spdef. Which I now notice is basically what r posted and his used the nature to garner one more point overall, so go whether 1 hp or 2 spatk is better is questionable but either is good.
I can include one of them in AC if that's necessary. Right now I'm thinking that Quiet: 244 HP / 156 SpA / 108 SpD should be the one on the main set.

EDIT: updated!

JRank

Jonny
I've been using this and have the following thoughts:

-Ditch Own Tempo, Regenerator is a great ability and if you lose to a confusion team you have bigger things to worry about

-Slash Mental Herb behind Sitrus Berry, and put Wacan Berry in AC. With the EV spread you can take almost any Electric-type attack and a Mental Herb is great for (nearly) guaranteeing Trick Room goes up. Additionally, mention Colbur Berry in AC; Slowbro has a hard time taking a Crunch from the likes of Scrafty and Tyranitar, that would help a lot.

-Mention Scrafty as a partner, great TR support with Fake Out.

-Move Slack Off down to OO and slash Blizzard and Flamethrower behind Protect. I always wanted an attacking move or Protect in that last slot, because Slowbro doesn't have a lot of time to use a recovery move, and with Regenerator and a Sitrus Berry it's somewhat redundant. Blizzard works especially well with Abomasnow (mention it as a partner in AC), as it helps take out Electric-types like Zapdos and Thundurus. Flamethrower was useful against other Abomasnow and Grass-types like Ferrothorn.

I've been using this and have the following thoughts:

-Ditch Own Tempo, Regenerator is a great ability and if you lose to a confusion team you have bigger things to worry about

-Slash Mental Herb behind Sitrus Berry, and put Wacan Berry in AC. With the EV spread you can take almost any Electric-type attack and a Mental Herb is great for (nearly) guaranteeing Trick Room goes up. Additionally, mention Colbur Berry in AC; Slowbro has a hard time taking a Crunch from the likes of Scrafty and Tyranitar, that would help a lot.

-Mention Scrafty as a partner, great TR support with Fake Out.

-Move Slack Off down to OO and slash Blizzard and Flamethrower behind Protect. I always wanted an attacking move or Protect in that last slot, because Slowbro doesn't have a lot of time to use a recovery move, and with Regenerator and a Sitrus Berry it's somewhat redundant. Blizzard works especially well with Abomasnow (mention it as a partner in AC), as it helps take out Electric-types like Zapdos and Thundurus. Flamethrower was useful against other Abomasnow and Grass-types like Ferrothorn.
- Done

- So Mental Herb / Sitrus Berry. Done

- Will add

- Wouldn't Ice Beam be better with Blizzard and Abomasnow OO and AC respectively? Ice Beam's more reliable that Blizzard for non-hail Slowbro. Everything else looks good. Will add.

EDIT: Done except put Ice Beam > Blizzard. Appreciate more input on that since not all Slowbro's need to be paired with Abomasnow and putting Blizzard in OO seems like the better option to me.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
There's already a Slowking analysis up and the only difference between these two are the swapping of defenses... not sure if this analysis is even necessary =/

There's already a Slowking analysis up and the only difference between these two are the swapping of defenses... not sure if this analysis is even necessary =/
While its true that swapping defenses is the only difference between Slowbro's and Slowking's stats, that makes them belong in different teams as needed since Slowbro is much more physically bulky and Slowking is more specially bulky. Besides they have a different analysis in every other tier so idk why VGC should be any different lol.

Alright that's fine QC 1 / 2
Ty :D Ready for one more.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
psyshock should be slashed with psychic imo, gives you options to hit different pokemon

slack off should be taken out of set comments if its not on the set

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i'd mention light screen in oo, as well as safeguard

also be sure to expand upon how heal pulse can be dangerous if your ally dies before you can use it or if your opponent uses follow me/rage powder

QC 2/2

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
With permission from Improbable, im taking this over. I will write this up after I get back from VGC (no need for another QC, I wont be changing anything)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)