March Tourney Team

I competed in the Autumn VGC with that being my first time trying VGC. I'm usually a singles player, but I want to compete again in the tournament in March. I RNG, so I need to breed and train the Pokemon beforehand and have been testing on Pokemon Online. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Battle Style: I enjoy stat-boosting in singles, but feel as if they are too slow for VGC. I prefer an aggressive battle style; I'm not so fond of walls (but I'm willing to try anything).

Chandelure @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Nature: Modest
- Shadow Ball
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power Ice
- Energy Ball

Fighting Fire with Fire (literally). Not the perfect solution, but it works. Also a great attacker with it's multihit move Heat Wave. Interesting support movepool with Ice and Grass and Ghost attacks. Not always the greatest ally of Breloom, but his original parter was...

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
- Fake Out
- Night Slash
- Low Kick
- Ice Punch

The original partner to Breloom. Fake Out assists in helping Breloom set up. Ice Punch is my solution to pesky Dragons while the other attacks are for coverage. Extremely frail, but the Focus Sash adds longevity. Glass Cannon, for the use of the word. I considered Ice Shard, but in Doubles it doesn't seem to be as useful. Heat Wave is still a problem so...

Rotom-W @ Sitrus Ber
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 SpA/ 4 SpD
Nature: Modest
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt/Discharge
- Thunder Wave/ Hidden Power Ice
- Protect

My real Heat Wave solution, which also covers my Flying problem and Fighting problem. Covers Weavile and Breloom's weaknesses, but he's another Ghost. I'm stuck between Thunder Wave and HP Ice. TW has been useful in stopping sweeps, but Ice is always a handy type. Also Hydro Pump's accuracy is depressing; is it worth it to switch that with Scald? And, Thunderbolt or Discharge? Tbolt is reliable, but Discharge's Paralysis rate may help offset that if my others use Protect.

Hitmontop @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Fake Out
- Mach Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Wide Guard

My alternative to Weavile if Fire types are a problem. He seems like an odd choice, but somewhat effective. He doesn't pack much power though and seems rather redundant with Breloom too. One of my later additions to the team and am still testing him...

Amoongus @ Mental Herb
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Def/ 252 SpD
Nature: Sassy
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

The star of my Autumn Friendly team and ready to repriese his role. I didn't use Rage Powder back then, regrettably, but now he's al ready. This is the only Pokemon I'd be heasitant to change. But then again, his Spore is somewhat redundant...

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Nature: Sassy
-Trick Room
-Psychic
-Helping Hand
-Imprison

She was recommended to me by a few people and I'll test her out. She looks like she'll work well with Rotom.

Sitting on the bench... (aka not using anymore)

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs:252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Nature: Adamant
- Spore
- Drain Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Protect

Original: Starter of the team. I've been blown away by Brelooms in the past. He works pretty well and is my "lead" Pokemon. Spore incapacitates whoever it touches, while Seed Bomb is my solution to Surf users. Drain Punch is for longevity as Breloom was supposed to be the main Pokemon of the team. He is greatly bothered by Flying types. Has trouble with Chandelure which is why I added...
Now: Too redundant with Hitmontop and Amoonguss. He's good, but just not with this team.

There they are, but they've only been moderately successful. I'm troubled by the 2 Fightings, 2 Ghosts, 2 Grass repetition. I'm open to any changes to the team, be it moves, Pokemon changes (Yes, even my beloved Gus could be changed), items, etc. The only condition is that it must be relatively easy to obtain; I'm not hunting in Orre, breeding a Seismic Tossing Chansey in Gen III, or chasing Roamers.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This is just a cosmetic issue, but if you could either list your team as sprites in a line or use smaller pictures, it'd be a lot easier to visualize. It's kind of awkward when it's spread out over ~4 screens.

The redundancy does seem like a bit of a problem. I'd consider getting rid of Breloom, since Hitmontop is a better Fighting attacker and Amoonguss is a better Spore user.

This is just a cosmetic issue, but if you could either list your team as sprites in a line or use smaller pictures, it'd be a lot easier to visualize. It's kind of awkward when it's spread out over ~4 screens.

The redundancy does seem like a bit of a problem. I'd consider getting rid of Breloom, since Hitmontop is a better Fighting attacker and Amoonguss is a better Spore user.
Okay, I'll make that first fix...

lol, Breloom was the first Pokemon on the team! But I agree, he is completely redundant. Any suggestions on who to replace him with? Or possibly, who to replace his allies with.

I'm trying to add better descriptions now...

Weavile should really have protect if it is running a Sash. Abomasnow could replace Breloom, but there are probably better ideas

Weavile- Protect, how come and what would I replace?

Abomasnow- Why?
Weavile is so frail, it is incredibly likely to be targeted by priority moves, in particular Metagross' Bullet Punch and Hitmontop's Mach Punch. Also, if you had 1hp becuase of surviving a hit with your Sash, your opponent could even use a weaker priority move to finish Weavile off.

The Abomasnow is just a thought. Cress could be good, I know you said you don't like tanks but the team is relatively frail in general

So a Cresselia like this:

Cresselia @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Nature: Calm
- Icy Wind
- Psychic
- Light Screen
- Rest

... I'm just not feeling it for some reason. What about Reuniclus or Swampert?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you want a less tanky alternative, Musharna has most of the same options (except for Icy Wind, sadly) and trades some bulk for a more usable Special Attack.

-First, your team Psychic and Flying weak. Running two Spore users on the same team never really worked out for me, I'd suggest running Musharna or Cresselia over Breloom or Amoonguss.
-Breloom is going to need 252 in Speed if it's gonna Spore or attack anything without Tailwind or any support.
-Chandelure absolutely needs to run Protect, I'd replace it over Energy Ball, you already have plenty of Grass-type coverage.
-Weavile also needs to run Protect, as it's extremely frail. I might suggest to replace it over Night Slash.
-With no Ground-types on your team to freely abuse it, run Thunderbolt on Rotom over Discharge.

*Looks at how to catch Cresselia...*

Nah. Okay, so it looks like Breloom fell and Musharna is in. Is Musharna really that great? I've heard raves about it but it doesn't look on paper... I'll test it once I get PO working again.

Chandelure, okay, I'll make that change.
Weavile, okay, Protect over Night Slash.
Rotom-W, with Musharna to abuse Discharge I may keep it.

But the only problem is that w/out Breloom, I'm missing a main offesive Physical Attacker (unless you count frail Weavile and priority Hitmontop). Now if I were to add in a Ground-type Physical attacker in place of Weavile, I think that would add more balance, but then I'd lose my main Dragon counter.

For a ground type, Excadrill looks too slow but he packs a punch, Garchomp seems good, and Mamoswine adds coverage to take out dragons. So who would I replace and with whom?

it's just a thought, but...why don't replace rotom-W with zapdos and Weavile with momoswine? Zapdos provides tailwind support, is immune to earthquake and under tailwind mamoswine should work well, with ice shard to hit dragons and earthquake for STAB. it's an hybrid of a zapchomp combo, garchomp would be better, but if you need a solution for dragons a priority ice shard is great. you cna also try scarf garchomp or latios, who supports with tailwind and can outspeed all the dragons bar scarfed ones.

it's just a thought, but...why don't replace rotom-W with zapdos and Weavile with momoswine? Zapdos provides tailwind support, is immune to earthquake and under tailwind mamoswine should work well, with ice shard to hit dragons and earthquake for STAB. it's an hybrid of a zapchomp combo, garchomp would be better, but if you need a solution for dragons a priority ice shard is great. you cna also try scarf garchomp or latios, who supports with tailwind and can outspeed all the dragons bar scarfed ones.
It's a good idea, but I don't think I have time to catch a Zapdos in HG/SS and send it over.

Does anyone have experience RNGing Legendaries in HG/SS? Is it much harder than Gen V? I've RNGed a Zekrom and shiny flawless eggs, but I have yet to try a Legend in Gen IV. If it is reasonable, than it's worth a shot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)