Challenge The Scramble Challenge - Mark 2

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Solo Run Update

Please don't double post unless it's something substantial you have to post (Like a scramble update) & you want to emphasise it. Thank you (No offence though).

Anyways, I'd think I might as well give an update for my Sandile run while we're on the subject of them. ;)

Sandile [Spartan] (F)
Lv:28/Quiet/Moxie
-Torment
-Sand Tomb
-Crunch
-Sand-Attack
# Gym Badges: 2
# Black Outs: 5 (Yes, I'm dead serious, & I'll explain why later)

STORY SO FAR...

Anyways, I started under my usual name of Random, picked up Snivy, & thought I could get my Sandile Egg at Accumula, early on like I could other games, right? Wrong. The Union Room "Was Closed". Damn...So what I did was make Snivy the initial runner who would "pass the baton" to Sandile at the first available opportunity. Sadly, that opportunity didn't come until...After reaching Striaton...After beating Cheren & unlocking the First Gym...After beating the First Gym...After the initial meeting with Team Plasma...You guessed it. I had to wait until I got my C-Gear before I could finally get my Sandile Egg; The same time the Audino finally became fightable. So I hatch the Sandile, & get a female one. It had Moxie (Which is surprisingly good for solo runs, I've noticed), & it had a Quiet Nature, which wasn't ideal. Also, it had basic moves as well. At this point, I grind it to the same level as Snivy (Lv16), & finally, after more than one hour, the solo run could begin in earnest.

So at this point, I plowed onto Route 3, until a point where I had to get the useless Patrat back into the party temporarily, just to do a (compulsory) double battle. After boxing the Patrat, I plow through the rest of the route & the major battles until I get to Nacrene, where I deal with Pinwheel Forest. After that, I plowed through N & the Nacrene City Gym cohorts, & going into Lenora with a Level 22 Sandile, I was confident...Then the struggles began.

After struggling with Herdier, Watchog comes in & clean OHKOes me with Retaliate. Ouch, Black Out #1. Then I tried again at Lv24. Got rolled by Watchog again. Lv25, Watchog lead with Hypnosis, but lowered my Defence enough to OHKO me...Now at Lv26, rolled by Watchog's Retaliate...AGAIN. Hopefully the fifth attempt works out at Lv27...Same result as before. 5 Black Outs from 5 attempts. Maybe I should've listened to those that recommended the Patrat solo...Then at Lv28, Sandile got Crunch, so I go for attempt #6. Even though I 2HKO Herdier this time, It still got a Leer on me, leaving me vulnerable to being Retaliate rolled again. Watchog comes out. This time, I outspeed Watchog & deal a lot with Crunch. Then Watchog used Hypnosis. It missed. I then proceed to KO with Crunch & finally, Lenora was beat after 5 Black Outs! =D

And with that, the update's done. Hope you guys enjoyed it! tl;dr, Lenora's a bitch.

Caught myself a Meditite, who seems a little sick... doesn't want to move too much. It would seem he is suffering from some sort of curse.

Meditite (Lv18 Purify)
Nature: Mild (+SpA, -Def)
Ability: Pure Power
Moveset:
Hidden Power [Poison...]
Meditate
Confusion
Detect

This is after taking the team through the Eterna Gym and the Galactic Building, which were both relatively easy after the song-and-dance I went through at the Oreburgh Gym. I was hoping to get Purify's Galactic leader solo done here, but while he can handle a Zubat, the Skuntank was a bit much... <__<

Other than the terrible Hidden Power type, I'm pretty pleased with this. Mild means I could potentially have a reasonable mixed sweeper on my hands. Given that I literally have NO special sweepers, except a future Riolu that thinks it's a wall, Purify will probably be filling in that role. :p

Assuming I can meet all of the requirements, I'll probably go for a moveset like:
Drain Punch
Bulk Up / Calm Mind
Psychic
Rock Slide / Ice Punch

which should give some nice coverage across the two attacking types. I wish Drain Punch had more than 5PP in Gen IV though... may have to replace it with Brick Break or Hi Jump Kick. Let me know what you think. :)

Also, I just realised Can'tdoit isn't allowed to take part in Gym Leader battles. I didn't use him against Gardenia, but I definitely broke that restriction against Roark... :< Arceustar, is there anything extra you'd like to make me do to make up for it?

@IAR: Lenora and Elesa are nightmares on regular runs, but at least you'll have a bit more luck with Elesa since you have a Sandile, eh? Might be a bit frail though.

Caught myself a Meditite, who seems a little sick... doesn't want to move too much. It would seem he is suffering from some sort of curse.

Meditite (Lv18 Purify)
Nature: Mild (+SpA, -Def)
Ability: Pure Power
Moveset:
Hidden Power [Poison...]
Meditate
Confusion
Detect

This is after taking the team through the Eterna Gym and the Galactic Building, which were both relatively easy after the song-and-dance I went through at the Oreburgh Gym. I was hoping to get Purify's Galactic leader solo done here, but while he can handle a Zubat, the Skuntank was a bit much... <__<

Other than the terrible Hidden Power type, I'm pretty pleased with this. Mild means I could potentially have a reasonable mixed sweeper on my hands. Given that I literally have NO special sweepers, except a future Riolu that thinks it's a wall, Purify will probably be filling in that role. :p

Assuming I can meet all of the requirements, I'll probably go for a moveset like:
Drain Punch
Bulk Up / Calm Mind
Psychic
Rock Slide / Ice Punch

which should give some nice coverage across the two attacking types. I wish Drain Punch had more than 5PP in Gen IV though... may have to replace it with Brick Break or Hi Jump Kick. Let me know what you think. :)

Also, I just realised Can'tdoit isn't allowed to take part in Gym Leader battles. I didn't use him against Gardenia, but I definitely broke that restriction against Roark... :< Arceustar, is there anything extra you'd like to make me do to make up for it?
No levelling him up in caves or mountains (starting from your next gym battle)

Sorry IAR
In future, I'll edit instead
...and then you proceed to double-post again?

You can edit posts, you know, and delete double-posts.

@IAR: W O W

Congrats on your progress so far. Interesting pick, although I definitely agree that it's better than Basculin. Looking forward to seeing more progress here.
When can we expect another update on your HeartGold Scramble? xD

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
@ArceusStar: Oh the irony...

@user_18: Either when I have the patience to grind a Chikorita enough to solo a Gym, then the leader, either that, or I spit the dummy & go "screw Chikorita" & box it, so it never sees the light of day again (Which is possible, since neither solo/requirement is mandatory, according to the challenge). That said, I am black-belt training Chikorita... ;)

"screw Chikorita" & box it, so it never sees the light of day again
Oh, and also, for each of your other pokemon, RNG a number between 1 and 3. A 1 means that they must always be lower-levelled than your Chikorita, and a 3 means they must always be higher levelled. 2 means it doesn't matter. You may never challenge a gym leader, the elite four, your rival, or Red if this restriction is not currently met.
@IAR: what numbers did you get for this restriction here? This part was meant to make it unlikely that you ever boxed Chikorita.

Finally, to complete your pokemon's healing, solo Red's Snorlax. You may not faint, and must use an item every three turns. After this solo is complete, if you use your Meganium in the rest of the battle against Red, you may use whatever you like. No more restrictions.
Also, this part wasn't meant to be optional either. I admit its a little ambiguous, though.

@ArceusStar: Oh the irony...

@user_18: Either when I have the patience to grind a Chikorita enough to solo a Gym, then the leader, either that, or I spit the dummy & go "screw Chikorita" & box it, so it never sees the light of day again (Which is possible, since neither solo/requirement is mandatory, according to the challenge). That said, I am black-belt training Chikorita... ;)
It's arceustar not arceusstar

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
@IAR: what numbers did you get for this restriction here? This part was meant to make it unlikely that you ever boxed Chikorita.
Well, I did mentiontion in the updates what I rolled for the two mons I've caught up to date, but in case you missed it...2's for both Spinarak & Mareep.
Also, this part wasn't meant to be optional either. I admit its a little ambiguous, though.
I don't think I'll be able to get past the E4, let alone reach Red...(Hinting that I'm effectively playing a scramble I can't win)

Well, I just beat Fantina. That fight was ridiculous in every single way. For starters, I soloed it despite not needing to. Secondly, the soloing Pokémon was Lola, my Buneary. Third, this was after repeatedly failing miserably while using the entire team (sans Can'tdoit, of course).

Say hello to the hero of the third Gym:

Lola (Lv25 Buneary) @ Quick Claw
Nature: Gentle (+SpD, -Def)
Ability: Run Away
Moveset:
Quick Attack
Defense Curl
Foresight
Jump Kick

On previous attempts, I had led with Oldie in the hopes of taking them out with Pursuit, but while Duskull went down fast, Mismagius would come out and OHKO with Magical Leaf, then proceed to sweep the entire team, Lola and all. I decided to try a different tactic after realising Lola knew Foresight.

So, out went Lola against Fantina's Duskull. Since Duskull loved trying to confuse Lola, the first job was to get to +6 Def, meaning that she only took 3 or 4 damage when hitting herself. The burns from Will-O-Wisp were annoying, but a quick application of Burn Heal meant Duskull couldn't do much to stop it. Once that was done, I used Foresight and started using Jump Kick, making sure I had as much HP as possible before knocking it out.

I had expected Mismagius to come out, but Haunter showed up instead. I'd never actually battled it before, so I didn't really know what to expect. Turns out Haunter had a speed tie with Lola, and beat me to the punch with a Hypnosis.

I sort of assumed it would be using Dream Eater, so I woke Lola up with an Awakening to meet... Sucker Punch. Well, okay. It kept alternating between Hypnosis and Sucker Punch, punctuated by the occasional Confuse Ray. Suddenly I was in a stall war, waiting for Haunter's Sucker Punch to run out of PP and then slowly but surely lowering Haunter's HP with Quick Attack, then once more after Fantina used a Super Potion. Again, I made absolutely sure to knock it out with as much HP as possible, and also made sure I wasn't confused. In my earlier experiences, Mismagius destroyed Lola extremely quickly, so I wanted to make sure I had all the chances I could get.

Out came Mismagius, and thus began yet another stall war. On previous battles, Psybeam and Magical Leaf had both been a 2HKO. I expected to get in a couple of Quick Attacks and then hope for something good with the rest of the team. Now, however, they just about left Lola alive, meaning that without a critical hit they were both a 3HKO.

Well, you can imagine how the fight progressed. I was fortunate to have a large stock of Super Potions from grinding the Trainers in the last route with the Vs. Seeker; otherwise it'd have been back to the drawing board once more. I would use Quick Attack, then take a Psybeam or Magical Leaf, taking Lola down to around 50% HP. The odd Confuse Ray gave some respite, but then hitting myself meant a whole extra round of healing and attacking.

The whole fight was tense. Twice, Mismagius had a critical hit with Psybeam, putting Lola dangerously close to fainting. It was sheer luck that caused these to only happen immediately after healing to full HP, nothing more. The nerves were not helped by the discovery that Mismagius held a Sitrus Berry, further increasing the necessary work.

Eventually, however... Mismagius' HP slowly slid down to zero. After countless attempts at the fight with four Pokémon, I had achieved victory with only one. A Normal type, no less.

Having looked up the moveset of each Pokémon, I can say without a doubt that Lola's Ghost immunity won the battle for me. Tell that to somebody the next time they claim the Normal type is terrible defensively!

@Tetrinity, use Brick Break instead of Drain Punch, since in gen IV Drain Punch has only 60 BP.
Heh, I forgot they boosted the BP in Gen V. Yeah, Brick Break is definitely the superior option. I still can't decide whether to pick Bulk Up or Calm Mind, or perhaps even Recover. Right now I'm leaning towards Bulk Up to favour the better STAB and attacking stat, but Calm Mind means my sole "special sweeper" has a chance of actually, y'know, special sweeping. As for the choice between Rock Slide and Ice Punch, I'm settling on Ice Punch. I have practically nothing to deal with Grass types, which are a pain right now. I have nothing to hit Ground or Dragon types supereffectively either, so Ice Punch will help a lot. I have Oldie and Can'tdoit to help with Fire types, so Rock Slide is seeming a bit more redundant than I originally thought.

No levelling him up in caves or mountains (starting from your next gym battle)
Heh, okay. The whole Snowpoint City part of the game is going to be a nightmare, isn't it? XD

Well, you two do both have tremendously awkward names to spell. I just tried typing each of your names ten times and made the mistake of "Arceusstar" or "Threadshot A1" more often than not, even while specifically trying not to. D:

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
Good to see this thread is still as excellent as always. :D

Also oh gosh I need to update my Ruby scramble LAWL. I'll do that this weekend. I suck. Sorry guys. ._.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
Solo Run Update

@ ArceusStar: Yes, & you've almost certainly just made his day for realising this.

Anyways, here's another Solo Run Update.

Update #1

Krokorok [Spartan] (F)
Lv:39/Quiet/Moxie
-Torment
-Dig
-Crunch
-Sand-Attack
# Gym Badges: 4
# Black Outs: 5

STORY SO FAR...
Well, after that Lenora fight, I then started to speed things up, by not battling anymore wild Pokemon & basically, "Hit the Turbo Button". Early on, Sandile evolves into Krokorok, as I steamroll through Pinwheel Forest with little trouble, even though I had PP concerns late in the piece. Next stop was across the Skyarrow Bridge & to Castelia where I clean up the Battle Building & part of Route 4. Eventually, I tackled the Castelia Gym, & basically OHKOed everything bar one of the Dwebbles, but that's only due to Sturdy. Not even Burgh could do anything to stop the Krokorok train, as he surrendered the Insect Badge with little resistance.

Then came the two Rivals...Who were clobbered, as I went up Route 4 & into Nimbasa City, where I showed the Team Plasma Grunts, & N. Next stop was the Desert Resort & the Ancient Castle, which resulted in more clobberings...Then Route 15 saw me kill more Trainers, & finally, Nimbasa Gym, where I plow through the gym easily, despite being paralysed against Elesa. And with that, my 4th Badge with little trouble...

Update done. Enjoy.

@ ArceusStar: Yes, & you've almost certainly just made his day for realising this.

Anyways, here's another Solo Run Update.

Update #1

Krokorok [Spartan] (F)
Lv:39/Quiet/Moxie
-Torment
-Dig
-Crunch
-Sand-Attack
# Gym Badges: 4
# Black Outs: 5

STORY SO FAR...
Well, after that Lenora fight, I then started to speed things up, by not battling anymore wild Pokemon & basically, "Hit the Turbo Button". Early on, Sandile evolves into Krokorok, as I steamroll through Pinwheel Forest with little trouble, even though I had PP concerns late in the piece. Next stop was across the Skyarrow Bridge & to Castelia where I clean up the Battle Building & part of Route 4. Eventually, I tackled the Castelia Gym, & basically OHKOed everything bar one of the Dwebbles, but that's only due to Sturdy. Not even Burgh could do anything to stop the Krokorok train, as he surrendered the Insect Badge with little resistance.

Then came the two Rivals...Who were clobbered, as I went up Route 4 & into Nimbasa City, where I showed the Team Plasma Grunts, & N. Next stop was the Desert Resort & the Ancient Castle, which resulted in more clobberings...Then Route 15 saw me kill more Trainers, & finally, Nimbasa Gym, where I plow through the gym easily, despite being paralysed against Elesa. And with that, my 4th Badge with little trouble...

Update done. Enjoy.
It's just that 'apparenlty' sounds so stupid

Edit:(Not double post) I'm just one of those people who get frustrated about even the tiniest mistake

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 18)