Year-Old Trick Room

Hello there
I had 2011 VGC trick room team of Amoonguss, Chandelure, Jellicent, Conkeldurr, Eelektross and Cofagrigus in my box and I decided to remake it for 2012. I've decided to take Chandelure and amoonguss as a base (being nice combo and all), also taking Jellicent as nice water spout user
All Pokemon in this team have Speed-lowering nature with minimum IVs in speed.
This is pretty standart team...

Chandelure
@ Focus Sash
Quiet
Flash Fire
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
~ Heat Wave
~ Shadow Ball
~ Trick Room
~ Protect

Chandelure is the main Trick Room setter.
At first I thought that 80 base Speed is too fast for Trick Room, but it is helpful against other Trick Room teams since I can attack their setter before it twists dimensions.
It is very strong Pokemon. Shadow ball and Heat Wave are STAB. Protect is useful.

Amoonguss
@Mental Herb/Lum berry
Relaxed
Effect Spore
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
~ Spore
~ Rage Powder
~ Giga Drain
~ Protect

Amoonguss is my usual lead. Rage Powder redirects moves at it, letting Chandelure attack or set up Trick Room.
Giga Drain recovers health. Spore for slumber parties. Protect is Protect. I thought about Lum Berry as hold item to counter Fake Out+Spore troublesome situation...

Jellicent
@Water Gem
Quiet
Cursed Body
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
~ Trick Room
~ Water Spout
~ Shadow Ball
~ Ice Beam

Secondary Trick Room setter, but its actual role is to be that mini-Kyogre with Water Gem Water Spout (with trick room). Shadow Ball is STAB. Ice beam seemed more useful to me than Protect.

Hitmontop
@Life Orb
Brave
Intimidate
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpDef
~ Fake Out
~ Close Combat
~ Sucker Punch
~ Wide Guard

Hitmontop provides Fake Out support and shields rest of team from spread moves using Wide Guard. Some people recommended using Technician with Mach Punch set, but being in trick room already i think Close Combat is better for more damage, and using Technician for Fake Out only is pretty pointless...

Abomasnow
@Ice Gem
Quiet
Snow Warning
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
~ Blizzard
~ Giga Drain
~ Ice Shard / Ice Beam
~ Protect

Rotom-W is big trouble to my team, Abomasnow is here to Giga Drain it. Also to remove rain, sun and sandstorm from field. Ice Gem Blizzard freezes everything. Ice Shard is boosted by Ice Gem too, but is mainly here to finish Focus Sash holders and hit first if Trick Room ran out. Protect is still Protect-ing.

Slowking
@Sitrus Berry
Quiet
Regenerator
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
~ Trick Room
~ Scald
~ Psychic
~ Protect / Flamethrower

I don`t have anything to hit Fightning-type Pokemon SuperEffectively without his Psychic. Scald is STAB and burns sometimes (also to help abomasnow with fire types). I am unsure whether to teach him always useful Protect or Flamethrower to singe Grass-types. Also this guy seems to be the only one to be able to survive Latios' Meteor

Any suggestions are welcome

Yo.

Pretty good looking team you have, but let me throw a few suggestions your way:

• Consider replacing Blizzard over Ice Beam on Jellicent if you're more focused on abusing Hail. Watch out for Hail damage if you want to abuse Water Spout.
  • Flamethrower's useful for Slowking in case Ferrothorn wants to come in and ruin your day, as he technically outspeeds in Trick Room. Now that I think about it, Ferrothorn can be a problem for your team, so take that into consideration. (Although Chandelure can easily OHKO with Heat Wave)
  • Love the custom sprites there.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I also loved the sprites, and "Spore for slumber parties." :D

Tyranitar's going to give you trouble, as it easily KOs 4 of your Pokémon and Hitmontop is the only one that can hurt it back. Since you really don't need 3 different TR users, it might be worth replacing one of them with something to deal with that.

Assuming you don't replace Jellicent, I don't think that Water Spout without Protect is a very good idea, since the former quickly becomes worthless after you start taking damage.

TR teams without anything fast have practically lost if TR somehow doesn't get up (Through crits?) or if the opponent stalls it out. I think Jelli or Slowking(probably Jelli) should be switched for something really speedy like Terrakion or Latios. Terrakion does particularly well against things with Taunt and things that just have the potential to devastate TR.

Thanks for answering
Actually i found that just sending Jellicent into Trick Room and using water gem'd water spout once is pretty massive damage already... Also paired with Chandelure or Abomasnow i got 2 mass-attackers with 100% accuracy (if its hailing that is)
But if im going to use Terrakion should i make it as fast as possible or vice versa?
Or should i just use something slow but with priority like Scizor? So it can still abuse Trick Rooma and deal with Ttar too (but dont have any AoE-moves)

Thanks for answering
Actually i found that just sending Jellicent into Trick Room and using water gem'd water spout once is pretty massive damage already... Also paired with Chandelure or Abomasnow i got 2 mass-attackers with 100% accuracy (if its hailing that is)
But if im going to use Terrakion should i make it as fast as possible or vice versa?
Or should i just use something slow but with priority like Scizor? So it can still abuse Trick Rooma and deal with Ttar too (but dont have any AoE-moves)
Terrakion would just be the most standard variant, Jolly@Sash 4Hp, 252Atk, 252 Spd. The Sash could get changed, once TR is up the only thing Terrakion will outspeed is Latios and Weavile....

TR Hitmontop is viable, they have FO and Intimidate can really help make sure TR gets set up. Priority options include MAch Punch and Sucker Punch. And Fight Gem Close Combat murders TTar, but it outruns you in TR.

Jelli is outsped by the somewhat common Scrafty in TR, who will gladly Crunch you. Hitmontop has Sucker Punch to do hefty enough damage that the opponent won't be worried about Water Spout's damage.

Abomasnow's hail will KO Chandelure if the Sash gets activated, pretty much killing the point of it. TR setup Chandy falls into the one of the mothers of odd speed tiers, not being able to outslow common TR abusers, and without TR or speed EVs, and semi-bad defensive typing, is a sitting duck for many 'mons.

Well ok
Thanks for your replies
Iv decided to stick to my team and change Jelli' Ice Beam to Protect, cause Sucker Punch can be a problem indeed...
Also i still have some time so I've decided to try out Scizor instead of Terrakion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)