Mismagius (QC: 0/2)

They see me floatin', they hatin'.

[Overview]

<p>Mismagius and Gengar compare and contrasts in several ways: both have 60 Defense and HP and have Levitate, but while Mismagius has great 105 Special Defense, Gengar is more powerful and faster. But don't let that dismay you from using the little ghoul: Mismagius is not weak to Psychic moves, meaning it doesn't fear the common Cresselia, and is versatile enough to fit on most player's teams. Mismagius even outclasses the common Chandelure in several aspects also, not being weak to common Rock and Water-type moves and the capability of countering Rain teams.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: Shadow Ball
move 2: Thunderbolt / Psychic
move 3: Hidden Power Fighting / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Protect / Trick
item: Life Orb / Choice Scarf
ability: Levitate
nature: Modest
EV: 12 HP / 248 Sp.Atk / 248 Spe
IV: 31 HP

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Shadow Ball is a given move to be run on Mismagius, seeing as it is the best STAB it has, and has a chance of lowering Special Defense. Thunderbolt is a great move to deal with Gyarados, Tornadus, and other common Flying-types. Psychic is another great move to be put over Thunderbolt if you already have that kind of coverage, however, because Psychic hits the common Fighting-types such as Hitmontop and Conkeldurr very well. Hidden Power Fire or Fighting is Mismagius' third slot option, hitting a wide variety of common VGC Pokemon such as Scizor, Metagross, and Abomasnow, respectively. Protect is required if you are using the Life Orb set, allowing Mismagius' partner to deal with the threat/scouting for moves. If Mismagius is holding a Choice Scarf, though, Trick should be used for the fourth slot instead. Given Mismagius' high speed, it should be able to trade it off effectively, putting a gigantic monkey wrench in the foe's strategy by possibly locking them into a move such as Protect or Fake Out.</p>

<p>Mismagius is thankfully bulky enough to utilize the Life Orb, making his 105 Special Attack more devastating. The aforementioned Trick/Choice Scarf strategy works extremely well if Life Orb has already been taken due to Item Clause, and can lock foes into Fake-Out or Protect, forcing them to switch.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>248 EVs are put in both Special Attack and Speed, Mismagius' best traits, maximizing its potential as a nice sweeper. However, if you are using HP Fire, an EV spread of 12 HP/248 SpAtk/248 Spe should be used with Hidden Power Fire due to the lower SpAtk and Spe IVs.</p>

<p>Some good partners for Mismagius include Explosion users such as Lickylicky and Metagross, as the violent eruption will pass right though it, allowing it to attack some more. Fighting-types such as Lucario and Conkeldurr all manage Mismagius' checks and counters well enough, and Dark-types such as Weavile and Cacturne can support it well too. Scrafty is a fantastic partner for Mismagius also, capable of dealing with both its Dark and Ghost-type weakness. With Levitate, Earthquake users can freely abuse the move while Mismagius is on the field, making them another good option.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Calm Mind or Nasty Plot can possibly set up a sweep, but setups are not very viable in the VGC metagame. Energy Ball can be recommended if your team lacks Grass-type moves, but Thunderbolt is generally the better move to rely on. If being used on a Rain team, Thunder gains 100% accuracy, and can be put over Thunderbolt. Energy Ball can be used relatively well in order to counter Gastrodon, but Thunderbolt hits more Pokemon for Super Effective damage than Energy Ball does. Icy Wind, while weak, is a good spread move for Mismagius and lowers speed, making its 105 Speed that more impressive. Perish Song is an interesting move to use and can be used fairly well as it can clean up the match if only two opponents remain, but a proper strategy beforehand must be planned before it is used, seeing as how your Pokemon must switch out after the move is used. Will-o-Wisp can cripple the physical attackers that cause Mismagius so much trouble, but it isn't really worth sacrificing an attacking move over, and its sketchy accuracy could spell disaster if the move misses. Pain Split can be used to recover HP and cause damage, but it generally doesn't work out well with a strong Special Attacker like Mismagius. Destiny Bond is another interesting move that can catch an opponent off-guard, and can be considered with Mismagius' high speed. With the abundance of Sucker Punch and Crunch, having Mismagius hold a Focus Sash is another viable option, allowing it to pull off two decent hits scot-free.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Gengar and Chandelure hit hard despite Mismagius' high Special Defense, easily being able to defeat it with Shadow Ball. Dark-types such as Tyranitar, Weavile, and Scrafty wall Mismagius to no end, easily OHKOing it with a STAB Crunch or Night Slash. Mold Breaker Pokemon such as Haxorus and Rampardos, despite their overall rarity, get rid of Levitate and can hit Mismagius with Earthquake/eliminate the strategy of it being immune to a partner's Earthquake. Despite Mismagius being immune to Fighting-type moves, it cannot hit them back for Super Effective damage without Psychic, so Fighting-types are a nice counter to it, especially Hitmontop, who can hit Mismagius hard with Sucker Punch.</p>

Would the use of Telekinesis with a teammate with a OHKO move work? That would take down huge threats such as Cress in one hit.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I really think that Focus Sash needs a mention for this. I know Mismagius has decent special bulk, but with Crunches and SuckerPunches flying about, it is still really easily OHKO'd, especially with speed lacking slightly compared to a number of threats. It does appreciate a Sash to take a hit, and hit back hard with its respectable SpAtk.

I also don't see Mismagius as an Icy Wind user. It's not really bulky enough to be around dealing so little damage, and it won't often be around to take advantage of the speed drop (Especially without the aforementioned Sash). It could put this move slot to use on something else from its great move pool, to cover a weakness perhaps, while Icy Wind can be given to a bulkier Support mon.

Would the use of Telekinesis with a teammate with a OHKO move work? That would take down huge threats such as Cress in one hit.
Telekinesis doesn't work with OHKO moves and Mismagius can already hit hard with LO or simply Trick a Choice Scarf onto the opponent's bulky Pokemon to force it to switch.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
No mention of Hidden Power Fighting? That might situationally be better than Hidden Power Fire. The moveset of Shadow Ball / Psychic / HP Fighting / Protect grants Mismagius unresisted coverage, not to mention Psychic is useful for taking down fighting types like Hitmontop (although Mismagius must beware a Sucker Punch).

I'd add an Unreleased section with the following:

Although Mismagius doesn't have a Dream World ability, it does benefit from the unreleased Custap Berry, which pairs extremely well with Destiny Bond to net surprise revenge kills versus its usual faster counters.

You should mention that an EV spread of 12 HP/248 SpAtk/248 Spe should be used with Hidden Power Fire due to the lower SpAtk and Spe IVs. 252 SpAtk and Spe won't give you an extra point with an IV of 30 at Lv. 50.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Most all suggestions added. Moved Icy Wind to OO and put HP Fighting on the main set.
Regardless of HP Fighting or HP Fire, the EVs will need to be adjusted due to the IV drop, unfortunately. I also recommend an IV of 31 HP regardless of HP Fighting or HP Fire.

EV: 12 HP / 248 Sp.Atk / 248 Spe
IV: 31 HP

I shouldn't let myself get carried away with this, but here goes...

You really make Mismagius sound pretty bad for VGC, focusing mainly on its faults and mentioning only one way Mismagius would be better than Gengar. Gengar isn't even the biggest Ghost-type, Chande is. Expand on how that it's not weak to Psychic allows it to deal damage to Cress without fear and, calc this, probably forces Latios to DMeteor to KO it.

Mention that it's not weak to Water and Rock-type moves, giving it a reason to use it over Chande. Mention how with T-Bolt it can dish some damage to Rain teams while Chande would be playing strictly defensive.

The whole part on the EVs is very unclear, and I have no idea what it's achieving. It says 252 SpA / 252 Spe is good for sweeping and is listed first, but then it mentions that if HP Fire is being used you use the current EV spread, but after reading the comments the EV spread also works for HP Fighting too. So please clarify on this.

Psychic should be moved up a lot higher. A move that can potentially OHKO one of the most common Pokemon in OO? C'mon. It should be slashed before T-bolt.

On Hitmontop, Sash should probably be the first item with Scarf and Trick in OO. Sash lets it live Sucker Punch. TrickScarf in AC because taunt shuts it down, not to mention it only really stops Cresselia, which it does with Shadow Ball already.

Put more emphasis on how Scrafty covers Mismagius covers it's Dark AND Ghost weakness with its great STAB moves.

Mention how Energy Ball can deal with Gastro and other Water/Ground-types, but then say how T-Bolt will hit more pokemon for SE damage.

Remove Dark Pulse from OO. There's no reason for it to be used since Shadow Ball will be better in virtually every situation.

For Perish Song, switching happens a good amount so say it can be good for for cleaning up the game when the opponent is on their last two Pokemon, but say how it forces you to switch and getting it off is difficult too.

Remove Inferno. Must I explain? Outclassed by Will-o-Wisp, NEEDS gravity, etc.

On Will-o-Wisp, say how its sketchy accuracy leaves it coming up short far too often.

I think I covered most everything.

I'm sorry to interject seeing as I'm not a VGC player. I'm an avid watcher of those fights though and I'd like to point out two things Lucien said:

Mention that it's not weak to Fire-type moves, giving it a reason to use it over Chande.
This is minor, but I think you mean that Mismagius doesn't have the weaknesses that Fire-typing brings (to Rock Slide, mainly).

Mismagius doesn't get Icy Wind. It DOES get Thunder Wave so it should be replaced.
Mismagius and Misdreavus learn Icy Wind via Move Tutor in gen IV.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
there is no unreleased section for mismagius, because that section is meant to talk about its ability, not any unreleased items

pretty much agree with lucien's post for other changes

also there should definitely be an imprison/tr set. since it's pretty much the fastest user of those moves (afaik? correct me if im wrong), it should probably be getting some major hype on that. i'd go with imprison / tr / shadow ball / protect or another attacking move

i'll post some more comments once i work on testing mismag more

breh

強いだね
the fastest user of imprison/trick room is the arguably awful swoobat; second place is azelf, which is far better.

Fixed up wit most of Lucien's edits, except for the EV spread part (that kinda confuses me) and the Sash part, seeing as how I still don't think it's good enough for the main set.

I'll consider adding in the Imprison set after me/others do some more tests on it, totally agreeing with breh that Azelf does it better though.

What about a trick room stopping set?

move 1: Imprison
move 2: Trick Room
move 3: Protect
move 4: Shadow Ball / Icy Wind
item: Mental Herb
ability: Levitate
nature: Hasty
EV: 252 HP / 4 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe

Imprison is the main move of the set. It stops trick room from being set up and can waste a turn for the opposing side.

Trick room is there to stop the opponents using trick room with imprison

Protect is there for the same purpose as trick room and can stop the opponent from scouting.

Shadow ball is there if you want to deal more damage with a STAB move but Icy wind hits both pokemon and lowers their speed. A good way to let faster sweepers hit the other team easier.

HP evs are maximised to maximise general bulk and speed is maximised to outspeed as much as you can to set up imprison before you faint. The rest are in Sp.Atk to deal a bit more damage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)