Misdreavus (Update)

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Done. Sirdnpt and Mafeking GP checks implemented [GP 2/2]

[Overview]

<p>In the nearly endless grinding of GSC OU, Misdreavus found a unique role: that of a stallbreaker. With access to both Perish Song and Mean Look, Misdreavus functions as an effective solution to many defensive cores. While it has little in the way of offense and its defensive stats leave much to be desired, it still has the necessary tools to justify its title as one of the premier stallbreakers of the GSC metagame.</p>

[SET]
name: Perish Trapper
move 1: Mean Look
move 2: Perish Song
move 3: Protect
move 4: Thunder / Confuse Ray / Attract
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is Misdreavus's bread and butter, and the reason that it's used in OU—Perish Trapping is simple and yet dastardly effective. With Perish Song and Mean Look Misdreavus can trap and KO many of GSC's top walls, such as Miltank, Forretress, Skarmory, and Blissey. Using Misdreavus is simple: come in on a wall or sleeping Pokemon with low damage output, trap it with Mean Look, then use Perish Song. Protect for two turns, and then switch out while the opponent is KOed. In fact, Misdreavus can rinse and repeat this strategy until the opponent's defensive core is thoroughly broken.</p>

<p>The first three moves are all fairly standard, while the last moveslot lets Misdreavus deal with phazers that can prevent it from Perish Trapping. Thunder is great for nailing Skarmory and Suicune, but leaves Misdreavus helpless against Steelix and Rhydon. Attract and Confuse Ray are also viable options, as they can prevent the trapped opponent from phazing or attacking. The difference between the two is that Confuse Ray hits all opponents regardless of gender, but Attract lasts indefinitely. If using Attract in simulator play, it is usually a good idea to change Misdreavus's gender to whichever one the simulator doesn't auto-select in order to maximize Attract's effectiveness.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Hypnosis is another effective option to stop opponents dead in their tracks while Perish Song is in effect. However, it should be noted that in almost all GSC venues, the combination of Perish Song, Mean Look, and a sleep-inducing move is banned for competitive reasons. That being said, Misdreavus still enjoys switching in on Pokemon that have been put to sleep, or have just used Rest. Unless the sleeping Pokemon switches or uses Sleep Talk, Misdreavus will be free to uses Mean Look and Perish Song without fear of taking damage. Paralysis support in particular can be very useful as it will stop the opponent from moving 25% of the time; it will also become even more effective alongside Confuse Ray. However, paralysis support can be difficult to pull off as many Pokemon carry Rest, and Heal Bell support is common as well. Nonetheless, Rest users will be more susceptible to Misdreavus's Perish Trap strategy because they won't be able to attack without Sleep Talk.</p>

<p>Misdreavus must be wary of trapping Pokemon that have boosting moves, such as Swords Dance or Curse, because if the opposing Pokemon boosts and Misdreavus switches on the last count of Perish Song, the incoming Pokemon will almost always be heavily damaged. Again, Swords Dance Marowak is especially dangerous in this regard. Pokemon with Explosion can execute a similar strategy, waiting until the last turn of the Perish count to do massive damage: you will normally have to either leave Misdreavus in to die from the Perish count or switch it out and sacrifice another Pokemon to Explosion. Pairing Misdreavus with a Rock- or Steel-type, such as Tyranitar or Skarmory, can help negate the damage from Explosion, but be warned that any switch-in not named Gengar will take heavy damage regardless of its typing.</p>

<p>Misdreavus is also a counter to Snorlax lacking Earthquake; this ability to stop many Snorlax sets cold is a great asset to any team that chooses to use Misdreavus. Additionally, Misdreavus's Ghost typing allows it to block Rapid Spin, making it an outstanding choice for teams that utilize Spikes. Both Cloyster and Forretress make excellent partners as they both have high Defense and can spread around Spikes for Misdreavus to take advantage of.</p>

<p>In addition, Misdreavus fits well on teams that utilize sweepers that enjoy the removal of opposing walls. Pokemon such as Heracross, Machamp, Alakazam, Snorlax, Raikou, and Vaporeon all enjoy seeing walls such as Blissey and Skarmory gone, depending on their sets. Finally, Misdreavus pairs well with Growth Vaporeon, Machamp, Marowak, and Nidoking, all of whom can counter the common phazers: Tyranitar and Steelix.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Outside of the options listed above, Misdreavus has a few other interesting choices that have specific uses. Pain Split provides a great way to take advantage of Misdreavus's low HP stat, and also buys some needed recovery while Perish Trapping. Destiny Bond is an interesting option for nailing powerful tanks and sweepers that try to KO Misdreavus, and is notable for its ability to counter Snorlax after a Belly Drum or several Curse boosts. Just be wary of using Destiny Bond against the occasional faster threat that can KO Misdreavus before it gets a chance to use it. Destiny Bond will also leave Misdreavus helpless against phazers, so unless your team can handle them effectively, Thunder or Confuse Ray will usually be better options for Misdreavus.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Misdreavus may be a potent stallbreaker, but it does have problems against Pursuit users and phazers. Tyranitar is definitely public enemy number one, as it has access to both Pursuit and Roar, as well as the defenses to shrug off anything Misdreavus can throw at it. Houndoom is another Dark-type that can nail Misdreavus with Pursuit as it switches out of an expected Crunch; it outspeeds Misdreavus as well.</p>

<p>Depending on what move Misdreavus elects to run in the fourth slot, it will have problems with certain phazers. If using Thunder, Misdreavus will struggle against Rhydon, Raikou, and Steelix. Additionally, Thunder only 3HKOes a healthy Suicune, giving it a chance to switch in and phaze Misdreavus if need be. If using Confuse Ray, Misdreavus will not be able to do appreciable damage to any phazer, and will be left out to dry if confusion does not take effect while the opponent uses either Roar or Whirlwind.</p>

<p>Misdreavus is not a naturally defensive Pokemon, and it will struggle to trap and kill any Pokemon that can 2HKO it. For example, Marowak will do a minimum of 79% damage with Earthquake, and unboosted Rhydon will consistently do around 55%, which will almost always be a 2HKO unless Misdreavus can use Pain Split. Belly Drum Snorlax is also notable for its ability to KO Misdreavus with Earthquake after a Belly Drum. However, countering does have its risks, as Misdreavus can try and Protect twice after Perish Song, giving the opponent only a 50% chance of KOing.</p>

<p>On a final note, Misdreavus detests Spikes and status. With its low HP and susceptibility to powerful physical attacks, Misdreavus wants all the health it can get. Outside of Leftovers and Pain Split, Misdreavus has no real options to restore its rather meager health. As such, setting up Spikes will go a long way in preventing it from working effectively. A poisoned or sleeping Misdreavus can also find itself up a creek without a paddle if it tries switching in on the wrong move.</p>

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Aight so your tags should look like this:

[Overview] needs the brackets around it

your actual set part should look like this, feel free to c/p this (pay attention to the spacing and location of stuff):

[SET]
move 4: Thunder / Confuse Ray

(Pretty sure the combo of Mean Look + Perish Song + sleep move is banned from most GSC venues).

directly underneath this you need the [SET COMMENTS] tag

[Other Options] and [Checks and Counters] should look like so

Your Team Support section should be moved into the same section as set comments, except under a new tag [ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

Good start so far!

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Ok, I hopefully got all the suggestions you made instituted. Thanks for help with the formatting. Are there any other suggestions? What is the next step in the process of getting this analysis ready? Thanks for all your help, Oglemi!

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Unfortunately next we need to wait for some GSC players to comment to fix up either parts of the write up or the set itself (the latter shouldn't be a problem since Misdreavus is pretty one-dimensional).

You should however take a gander at the Spelling and Grammar Standards to make the job of the GPers a bit easier. Make sure you always capitalize the name and have the correct spelling of a move and Pokemon (ie. Substitute not substitute when talking about the move), and other stuff like 3HKO and Ghost-types (not 3hko or ghost type).

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Minor edits are complete. I caught several mistakes, but I'm sure there are a few more that need catching! That guide was very helpful btw, thanks!

Edit: Zarator mentioned that I might have played up SkarmBliss too much as a major threat in the GSC metagame. If SkarmBliss wasn't as important to the metagame as I was lead to believe I would love to know! I may have been under the wrong impression. If another GSC battler could comment on this that would be great!

Steelix will just phaze you (and its one of the best Missy counters in gsc, along with ttar and raikou).

Para support is a very situational thing to make such a big point about it, I'd focus more into bait-paralysis Raikou if anything (but yea Zapdos is great at doing this). I'd also mention that Missy provides coverage against non-eq snorlaxes.

I wouldn't make a mention about Toxic at all, maybe Attract instead.

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Misdreavus doesn't get Substitute.
Oh dear. That must have been the Fifth Generation part of my brain crashing into the Second Generation part. I did remove that whole paragraph on Substitute, and added in most of the other suggestions. I will do some more cursory checks to make sure everything is in alignment. I also really want to know- am I putting too much emphasis on SkarmBliss? Zarator mentioned this and any additional thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
the blissey part of skarmbliss is pretty bad, skarmbliss wasn't that good until 3rd gen

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Thanks gene! My experience with GSC is unfortunately limited, and I had conflicting reports on SkarmBliss' effectiveness. Thank you for helping me clear this matter up. I changed the Overview to be more reflective of SkarmBliss actual role.

With Perish Song and Mean Look Misdreavus can trap and KO many top walls like Forrtress, Skarmory, Blissey, and Steelix.
I would change this to remove Steelix entirely and say that Thunder allows you to beat Skarmory, the most common phazer.

Misdreavus can also function as an effective Porygon2 check if Porygon2 isn't sporting Thunderwave.
I would just take this out. The Thunder Wave thing especially is pretty much completely irrelevant as far as I can tell.

Using Misdreavus is simple- come in on a wall with low damage output , trap it with Mean Look, use Perish Song, Protect for two turns, and then switch out while the oppoent dies. Rinse and repeat until the opponent's offensive core is broken, and your heavy hitters are able to fire away without fear.</p>
I'd probably mention its ability to come in on Resting Pokemon as well. Also I think you meant to say defensive core here but I'm not entirely sure.

Thunder is great for nailing Skarmory and preventing it from using Whirlwind. Forced switches prevent Misdreavus from doing its job and can rack up nasty Spikes damage that Misdreavus abhors. Misdreavus needs all the health it can get and without reliable recovery it can be easily worn down with entry hazards. Hypnosis is another effective option when it comes to stopping opponents dead in their tracks while Perish Song is in effect. However, it should be noted that in almost all GSC venues Perish Song+ Mean Look+ Sleep Move is banned for competetive reasons. Confuse Ray provides another support option to reduce the opponents ability to attack while trapped. Confuse Ray is very effective in conjunction with paralysis support.</p>
For the description of the fourth slot, I think the most logical approach is to start by saying that phazers are Misdreavus' worst enemy, since they are very common and make it difficult for Misdreavus to do anything whatsoever. Then go on to saying that Misdreavus' 4th moveslot is therefore nearly always dedicated to giving it a chance to beat phazers: Thunder is for Skarmory and to an extent Suicune, while Confuse Ray (and Attract) allows Misdreavus to try its luck against any phazer.

As a side note, I don't think Misdreavus is easy to wear down with Spikes. It can Protect for extra HP as long as the opponent doesn't have a Pursuit user or a Marowak to capitalise on the Protect turn with.

When opposing pokemon are paralyzed it makes Misdreavus' job much easier since the opponent will be moving less often and will be much slower than Misdreavus Perish Song and Mean Look
The speed makes pretty much no difference at all.

Jolteon works well as a partner because it can Baton Pass Substitutes that Misdreavus can use to great effect when trapping opponents. Misdreavus loves screen support and Reflect in particular to shore up its physical weaknesses. Espeon can also both pass Substitutes or set up Screens depending on the set.</p>
Honestly, with the prevalence of phazers, I don't think this is very helpful. I really doubt the effectiveness of these strategies. In fact I played someone using the Screens Espeon once and it was just a complete waste. I guess a phazer-less team would struggle against screens missy.

Attract is another interesting option to disable opponents that try and attack while switched.
I assume you mean trapped, also I would say that it functions much the same as Confuse Ray except it trades working on all opposing Pokemon for lasting indefinitely.

Destiny Bond is an interesting option for nailing powerful tanks and sweepers that try to KO. Unfortunately, many top threats are faster than Misdreavus and will KO before Misdreavus gets a chance to use Destiny Bond.
You could mention Snorlax, since Destiny Bond Misdreavus walls and forces out (or successfully trades itself if they stay in) a large number of lax sets. I would remove the thing about top threats being faster, it doesn't really matter that much and I am not even really sure what threats you mean besides the electrics. Instead say that Destiny Bond in the fourth slot leaves Misdreavus completely helpless against all phazers, meaning it is useless against them until a teammate eliminates them.

The existing counters section (the on-site one) is a lot better than what you have IMO. Tyranitar is probably #1 in counters because of Pursuit and Roar, followed by Steelix, Rhydon, and Raikou, then Houndoom, then Suicune, and then Skarmory. You definitely over-hype Suicune as a counter. It definitely won't appreciate taking Thunders even if they are "only" 3hkos. Also, mentioning Sleep Talk and Roar together could possibly mislead people into thinking that sleep talking Roar is the same as in future gens.

The explosion thing in the on-site one is also relevant.

+1 for Earthworm's post, just one thing: IMO Missy really hates spikes if you are also relying on it for some kind of defensive use, generally Fire Blast Snorlaxes, or just if you are spinblocking with it: spikes make things a lot more difficult for him when trying to switch into Starmie's spin few times imo.

Also, what is banned (or should) is trapping move + sleep move, not just trap+perish+sleep

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Wow, many thanks Earthworm for your suggestions. Your post was a virtual gold mine and I hope I have been able to insitute your points effectively. I think I've incorporated most of the suggested edits, but in case I missed something I would love to hear additional thoughts!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, I actually think Spikes makes Misdreavus's life a lot harder, since it has to waste a turn to Protect-healing rather than executing its strategy, which is so dependent on exploiting free turns. Not having any reliable recovery methods outside of Protect and possibly Pain Split makes any residual damage a bitch to Misdreavus, unless you play it very conservatively.

With Perish Song and Mean Look Misdreavus can trap and KO many top walls like Forrtress, Skarmory, and Blissey.
Add Miltank in this list, since it is complete Misdreavus bait.
Misdreavus enjoys partners who can counter common phazers like Tyranitar and Steelix.
You could mention here mons like Machamp, Nidoking, and Growth Vaporeon to deal with such Pursuit trappers / phazers. Raikou / Zapdos for Suicune.

Under Counter and Checks, you should still mention Suicune, since it can phaze Misdreavus with Thunder twice before being forced to Rest. It can still phaze out Misdreavus with CRay, Attract, or Pain Split with relative ease.

Also in the 2nd para, mention that any mons that can 2HKO Misdreavus (taking into account the turn it heals from Protect) are also fair game. Unfortunately the list are few, but Marowak does 79% min to Misdreavus with EQ. Rhydon does 55% min, so it 2HKOs most of the time, but it may be screwed over by those with Pain Split if it lacks Roar. Belly Drum Lax is also worth a mention, since it can OHKO Misdreavus with a 999 Atk EQ. These mons that can take out Misdreavus in 2 turns are vulnerable to the 50-50 Protect activation the 2nd time, so it is much riskier than a Phazer.

I approve

You could mention Marowak in the team options. It matches up well against any phazer switching into ThunderMissy (kou/ttar/lix/don) making double switches rewarding.

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
All suggestions have been added. This analysis should be ready for GP checks, but I will be sure to clear that with Oglemi first. Thanks to everyone who helped make this analysis competitively viable!

[Overview]

<p> In the nearly endless grinding of GSC OU, Misdreavus found a unique role,: that of a stallbreaker. With access to both Perish Song and Mean Look, Misdreavus functioneds as an effective solution to many defensive cores. While Misdreavusit has little in the way of offense, and its defensive stats leaves much to be desired on the defensive, it still has the necessary tools to fit in its rojustify its title as one of the premier stallbreakers of the GSC metagame.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> This set is Misdreavus's bread and butter, and the reason that its used in OU.: Perish Trapping is simple and yet dastardly effective. With Perish Song and Mean Look Misdreavus can trap and KO many top walls like, such as Miltank, Forretress, Skarmory, and Blissey. Using Misdreavus is simple-: come in on a wall or sleeping Pokemon with low damage output, trap it with Mean Look, then use Perish Song,. Protect for two turns, and then switch out while the oppoent dies. In fact, Misdreavus can rinse and repeat this strategy until the opponent's defensive core is thoroughly broken. </p>

<p>The first three moves are all fairly standard, withhile the last move slot available forlets Misdreavus to deal with phazers that can prevent it from Perish Trapping. Thunder is great for nailing Skarmory and Suicune, but leaves Misdreavus incapable of doing anythinghelpless against Steelix or Rhydon. Attract and Confuse Ray are also viable options for, as they can preventing the trapped opponent from phazing or attacking while trapped. The difference between the two is that Confuse Ray hits all opponents regraardless of gender, but Attract lasts indefinitely.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Hypnosis is another effective option when it comes to stopping opponents dead in their tracks while Perish Song is in effect. However, it should be noted that in almost all GSC venues, the combination of Perish Song + Mean Look + Ssleep M-inducing move is banned for competeitive reasons. That being said, Misdreavus still enjoys switching in on Pokemon that have been put to sleep, or have just used Rest. Unless the sleeping Pokemon switches or uses Sleep Talks an attack, Misdreavus will be free to uses Mean Look and Perish Song without fear of being attackedtaking damage. Paralysis support in particular can be very useful considering that the opponent will not be moving 25% of the time. When paired with Confuse Ray paralysis support works even betteras it will stop the opponent from moving 25% of the time; it will become even more effective alongside Confuse Ray. However, paralysis support can be difficult to pull off since soas many Pokemon carry Rest, and Heal Bell support is common. The good news about Pokemon using Rest is that they as well. Nonetheless, Rest users will be more susceptible to Misdreauvvus's PerishTrap strategy because they won't be able to attack without Sleep Talk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Misdreavus also works as a great
<p>Misdreavus is also a counter to any Snorlax that aren't carrylacking Earthquake. T; the ability to stop many Snorlax' sets cold is a great asset to any team that chooses to use Misdreavus. Additionally, Misdreavus's Ghost- typing also allows it to block Rapid Spin, making it a greatn outstanding choice for teams that utilize Spikes. Both Cloyster and Forretress make greaexcellent partners sinceas they both have high Defense and can spread around Spikes for Misdreavus to abuse. Misdreavus makes a great teammate fortake advantage of.</p>

<p>In addition, Misdreavus fits well on
teams that utilize sweepers that enjoy seeing opposing walls gone. Pokemon likeremoved. Pokemon such as Heracross, Machamp, Alakazam, Snorlax, Raikou and Vaporeon all enjoy seeing their respective walls gone. Misdreavus enjoys partners like<it might help if you mentioned who exactly said walls are> gone. Finally, Misdreavus pairs well with Growth Vaporeon, Machamp, Marowak, and Nidoking, all of whom can counter the common phazers like Tyranitar and Steelix.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Outside of the options listed above, Misdreavus has a few other interesting choices that can be used in specific situationhave specific uses. Pain Split provides a great way to abusetake advantage of Misdreavus's low HP stat, and talso buys some needed recovery while Perish Trapping. Attract is another interesting option to disable opponents that try and attack while trapped. If using Attract on ain simulator play, it is usually a good idea to change your gender to whichever one the simulator doesn't auto-select in order to maximize Attract's effectiveness. Destiny Bond is an interesting option for nailing powerful tanks and sweepers that try to KO Misdreavus. Destiny Bo, and is notable for its ability to counter Snorlax after a Belly Drum or several Curse boosts. Just be wary of using Destiny Bond against the occasional faster threat that can KO Misdreavus before it gets a chance to use it. Destiny Bond will also leave Misdreavus helpless against phazers, so unless your team can handle them effectively, Thunder, or Confuse Ray will usually be better options for Misdreavus.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Misdreavus may be a potent stallbreaker, but it does have problems against pPursuit users and Pseudo Hphazers. Tyranitar is definitely public enemy number one on Misdreavus' list of counters. I, as it has access to both Pursuit and Roar, as well as the defenses to shrug off anything Misdreavus can throw at it. Houndoom is another Dark-type that can nail Misdreavus with Pursuit as it switches- out, expecting a Crunch. Houndoom is also faster than Misdreavus, making it even more dangerous. Psuedo Hazers in general are great counters for Misdreavus. Depending on what move it has in the fourth slot Misdreavus will always of an expected Crunch; it outspeeds Misdreavus as well.</p>

<p>Depending on what move Misdreavus elects to run in the fourth slot, it will
have problems with certain Pphazers. If using Thunder then, Misdreavus will struggle against Rhydon, Raikou, and Steelix. As a side note Misdreavus Thunder's 3HKO against Suicune will givedditionally, Thunder only 3HKOes a healthy Suicune, giving it a chance to switch-in at full health in and phaze Misdreavus if need be. If using Confuse Ray, Misdreavus will not be able to do appreciable damage to any phazer, and will be left out to dry if confusion does not take effect while the opponent uses either Roar or Whirlwind. </p>

<p>Misdreavus is not a naturally defensive Pokemon, and it weill struggle to trap and kill any Pokemon that can 2HKO it. For example, Marowak will do a minimum of 79% damage with Earthquake, and unboosted Rhydon will consistently do around 55% without boosts, which will almost always be a 2HKO unless Misdreavus can use Pain Split. Belly Drum Snorlax is also notable for its ability to KO Misdreavus with Earthquake after a Belly Drum. However, using this countering strategy does have its risks., as Misdreavus can try and Protect twice, giving the opponent only a 50-50% chance of KOing.</p>

<p>Misdreavus must be wary in general of trapping Pokemon that have boosting moves like, such as Swords Dance or Curse. I, because if the opposing Pokemon boosts and Misdreavus switches on the last count of Perish Song, the incoming Pokemon will almost always be heavily damaged. Again, Marowak with Swords Dance Marowak is especially dangerous in this regard. Pokemon with Explosion can execute a similar strategy, waiting till the last turn of the Perish Ccount and then Exploding. Misdreavus will eitherto do massive damage: you will normally have to either leave Misdreavus in to die from the Perish Ccount if it stays in oror switch it out and sacrifices another Pokemon to Explosion if it switches out. Pairing Misdreavus with a Rock- or Steel-type like Skarmory or Tyranitar, such as Tyranitar or Skarmory, can help negetate the damage from Explosion, but be forewarned that any switch-in not named Gengar will take heavy damage regardless of its typing.</p>

<p>AsOn a final note-, Misdreavus has no great love ofdetests Spikes orand status. With its low HP, and susceptabibility to powerful physical attacks, Misdreavus wants all the Hhealth it can get. Outside of Leftovers and Pain Split, Misdreavus has no real options to restore its rather meager Hhealth. GAs such, setting up Spikes will go a long way toin preventing it from working effectively. A poisoned or sleeping Misdreavus can also find itself up a creek without a paddle if it tries switching in on the wrong move.</p>

[Overview]

<p> In the nearly endless grinding of GSC OU, Misdreavus found a unique role: that of a stallbreaker. With access to both Perish Song and Mean Look, Misdreavus functions as an effective solution to many defensive cores. While it has little in the way of offense, and its defensive stats leave much to be desired, it still has the necessary tools to justify its title as one of the premier stallbreakers of the GSC metagame.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is Misdreavus's bread and butter, and the reason that its used in OU: Perish Trapping is simple and yet dastardly effective. With Perish Song and Mean Look Misdreavus can trap and KO many top walls, such as Miltank, Forretress, Skarmory, and Blissey. Using Misdreavus is simple: come in on a wall or sleeping Pokemon with low damage output, trap it with Mean Look, then use Perish Song. Protect for two turns, and then switch out while the oppoent dies. In fact, Misdreavus can rinse and repeat this strategy until the opponent's defensive core is thoroughly broken.</p>

<p>The first three moves are all fairly standard, while the last moveslot lets Misdreavus deal with phazers that can prevent it from Perish Trapping. Thunder is great for nailing Skarmory and Suicune, but leaves Misdreavus helpless against Steelix or Rhydon. Attract and Confuse Ray are also viable options, as they can prevent the trapped opponent from phazing or attacking. The difference between the two is that Confuse Ray hits all opponents regardless of gender, but Attract lasts indefinitely.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Hypnosis is another effective option to stop opponents dead in their tracks while Perish Song is in effect. However, it should be noted that in almost all GSC venues, the combination of Perish Song + Mean Look + sleep-inducing move is banned for competitive reasons. That being said, Misdreavus still enjoys switching in on Pokemon that have been put to sleep, or have just used Rest. Unless the sleeping Pokemon switches or uses Sleep Talk, Misdreavus will be free to uses Mean Look and Perish Song without fear of taking damage. Paralysis support in particular can be very useful as it will stop the opponent from moving 25% of the time; it will become even more effective alongside Confuse Ray. However, paralysis support can be difficult to pull off as many Pokemon carry Rest, and Heal Bell support is common as well. Nonetheless, Rest users will be more susceptible to Misdreavus's PerishTrap strategy because they won't be able to attack without Sleep Talk.</p>

<p>Misdreavus is also a counter to Snorlax lacking Earthquake; the ability to stop many Snorlax sets cold is a great asset to any team that chooses to use Misdreavus. Additionally, Misdreavus's Ghost typing allows it to block Rapid Spin, making it an outstanding choice for teams that utilize Spikes. Both Cloyster and Forretress make excellent partners as they both have high Defense and can spread around Spikes for Misdreavus to take advantage of.</p>

<p>In addition, Misdreavus fits well on teams that utilize sweepers that enjoy opposing walls removed. Pokemon such as Heracross, Machamp, Alakazam, Snorlax, Raikou and Vaporeon all enjoy seeing their respective walls <it might help if you mentioned who exactly said walls are> gone. Finally, Misdreavus pairs well with Growth Vaporeon, Machamp, Marowak, and Nidoking, all of whom can counter the common phazers Tyranitar and Steelix.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Outside of the options listed above, Misdreavus has a few other interesting choices that have specific uses. Pain Split provides a great way to take advantage of Misdreavus's low HP stat, and also buys some needed recovery while Perish Trapping. Attract is another interesting option to disable opponents that try and attack while trapped. If using Attract in simulator play, it is usually a good idea to change your gender to whichever one the simulator doesn't auto-select in order to maximize Attract's effectiveness. Destiny Bond is an interesting option for nailing powerful tanks and sweepers that try to KO Misdreavus, and is notable for its ability to counter Snorlax after a Belly Drum or several Curse boosts. Just be wary of using Destiny Bond against the occasional faster threat that can KO Misdreavus before it gets a chance to use it. Destiny Bond will also leave Misdreavus helpless against phazers, so unless your team can handle them effectively, Thunder, or Confuse Ray will usually be better options for Misdreavus.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Misdreavus may be a potent stallbreaker, but it does have problems against Pursuit users and phazers. Tyranitar is definitely public enemy number one, as it has access to both Pursuit and Roar, as well as the defenses to shrug off anything Misdreavus can throw at it. Houndoom is another Dark-type that can nail Misdreavus with Pursuit as it switches out of an expected Crunch; it outspeeds Misdreavus as well.</p>

<p>Depending on what move Misdreavus elects to run in the fourth slot, it will have problems with certain phazers. If using Thunder, Misdreavus will struggle against Rhydon, Raikou, and Steelix. Additionally, Thunder only 3HKOes a healthy Suicune, giving it a chance to switch in and phaze Misdreavus if need be. If using Confuse Ray, Misdreavus will not be able to do appreciable damage to any phazer, and will be left out to dry if confusion does not take effect while the opponent uses either Roar or Whirlwind. </p>

<p>Misdreavus is not a naturally defensive Pokemon, and it will struggle to trap and kill any Pokemon that can 2HKO it. For example, Marowak will do a minimum of 79% damage with Earthquake, and unboosted Rhydon will consistently do around 55%, which will almost always be a 2HKO unless Misdreavus can use Pain Split. Belly Drum Snorlax is also notable for its ability to KO Misdreavus with Earthquake after a Belly Drum. However, using countering strategy does have its risks, as Misdreavus can try and Protect twice, giving the opponent only a 50% chance of KOing.</p>

<p>Misdreavus must be wary in general of trapping Pokemon that have boosting moves, such as Swords Dance or Curse, because if the opposing Pokemon boosts and Misdreavus switches on the last count of Perish Song, the incoming Pokemon will almost always be heavily damaged. Again, Swords Dance Marowak is especially dangerous in this regard. Pokemon with Explosion can execute a similar strategy, waiting till the last turn of the Perish count to do massive damage: you will normally have to either leave Misdreavus in to die from the Perish count or switch it out and sacrifice another Pokemon to Explosion. Pairing Misdreavus with a Rock- or Steel-type, such as Tyranitar or Skarmory, can help negate the damage from Explosion, but be warned that any switch-in not named Gengar will take heavy damage regardless of its typing.</p>

<p>On a final note, Misdreavus detests Spikes and status. With its low HP and susceptibility to powerful physical attacks, Misdreavus wants all the health it can get. Outside of Leftovers and Pain Split, Misdreavus has no real options to restore its rather meager health. As such, setting up Spikes will go a long way in preventing it from working effectively. A poisoned or sleeping Misdreavus can also find itself up a creek without a paddle if it tries switching in on the wrong move.</p>

you mention Attract both in SET COMMENTS and OO -- pick one of the two, and remove the other mention. also, for convention's sake, if you're keeping the SET COMMENTS mention, perhaps slash it onto the SET part as well?

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
you mention Attract both in SET COMMENTS and OO -- pick one of the two, and remove the other mention. also, for convention's sake, if you're keeping the SET COMMENTS mention, perhaps slash it onto the SET part as well?
Ok, I just slashed Attract in the main set, and removed the other parts. I also added in specific walls in the space that you noted. Thanks for the GP check!

Mafeking

channels his inner Wolverine
is a Contributor Alumnus
placeholder for check 2

Removals
(Additions/Replacements)
<Quick Comments>

[Overview]

<p>In the nearly endless grinding of GSC OU, Misdreavus found a unique role: that of a stallbreaker. With access to both Perish Song and Mean Look, Misdreavus functions as an effective solution to many defensive cores. While it has little in the way of offense, and its defensive stats leave much to be desired, it still has the necessary tools to justify its title as one of the premier stallbreakers of the GSC metagame.</p>

[SET]
move 4: Thunder / Confuse Ray(+space)/(+space)Attract

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is Misdreavus's bread and butter, and the reason that it(')s used in OU:(—)Perish Trapping is simple and yet dastardly effective. With Perish Song and Mean Look Misdreavus can trap and KO many (of GSC's) top walls, such as Miltank, Forretress, Skarmory, and Blissey. Using Misdreavus is simple: come in on a wall or sleeping Pokemon with low damage output, trap it with Mean Look, then use Perish Song. Protect for two turns, and then switch out while the oppo(n)ent dies. In fact, Misdreavus can rinse and repeat this strategy until the opponent's defensive core is thoroughly broken.</p>

<p>The first three moves are all fairly standard, while the last moveslot lets Misdreavus deal with phazers that can prevent it from Perish Trapping. Thunder is great for nailing Skarmory and Suicune, but leaves Misdreavus helpless against Steelix or (and) Rhydon <nitpicky, but it's for comparison cohesion or something>. Attract and Confuse Ray are also viable options, as they can prevent the trapped opponent from phazing or attacking. The difference between the two is that Confuse Ray hits all opponents regardless of gender, but Attract lasts indefinitely. If using Attract in simulator play, it is usually a good idea to change your (Misdreavus's) gender to whichever one the simulator doesn't auto-select in order to maximize Attract's effectiveness.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Hypnosis is another effective option to stop opponents dead in their tracks while Perish Song is in effect. However, it should be noted that in almost all GSC venues, the combination of Perish Song + (comma) Mean Look + (comma) (and a) sleep-inducing move is banned for competitive reasons. That being said, Misdreavus still enjoys switching in on Pokemon that have been put to sleep, or have just used Rest. Unless the sleeping Pokemon switches or uses Sleep Talk, Misdreavus will be free to uses Mean Look and Perish Song without fear of taking damage. Paralysis support in particular can be very useful as it will stop the opponent from moving 25% of the time; it will (also) become even more effective alongside Confuse Ray. However, paralysis support can be difficult to pull off as many Pokemon carry Rest, and Heal Bell support is common as well. Nonetheless, Rest users will be more susceptible to Misdreavus's PerishTrap strategy because they won't be able to attack without Sleep Talk.</p>

<p>Misdreavus is also a counter to Snorlax lacking Earthquake; the (this) ability to stop many Snorlax sets cold is a great asset to any team that chooses to use Misdreavus. Additionally, Misdreavus's Ghost typing allows it to block Rapid Spin, making it an outstanding choice for teams that utilize Spikes. Both Cloyster and Forretress make excellent partners as they both have high Defense and can spread around Spikes for Misdreavus to take advantage of.</p>

<p>In addition, Misdreavus fits well on teams that utilize sweepers that enjoy (the removal of) opposing walls removed. Pokemon such as Heracross, Machamp, Alakazam, Snorlax, Raikou (comma) and Vaporeon all enjoy seeing walls like (such as) Blissey and Skarmory gone, depe(n)ding on their sets. Finally, Misdreavus pairs well with Growth Vaporeon, Machamp, Marowak, and Nidoking, all of whom can counter the common phazers (colon) Tyranitar and Steelix.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Outside of the options listed above, Misdreavus has a few other interesting choices that have specific uses. Pain Split provides a great way to take advantage of Misdreavus's low HP stat, and also buys some needed recovery while Perish Trapping. Destiny Bond is an interesting option for nailing powerful tanks and sweepers that try to KO Misdreavus, and is notable for its ability to counter Snorlax after a Belly Drum or several Curse boosts. Just be wary of using Destiny Bond against the occasional faster threat that can KO Misdreavus before it gets a chance to use it. Destiny Bond will also leave Misdreavus helpless against phazers, so unless your team can handle them effectively, Thunder, or Confuse Ray will usually be better options for Misdreavus.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Depending on what move Misdreavus elects to run in the fourth slot, it will have problems with certain phazers. If using Thunder, Misdreavus will struggle against Rhydon, Raikou, and Steelix. Additionally, Thunder only 3HKOes a healthy Suicune, giving it a chance to switch in and phaze Misdreavus if need be. If using Confuse Ray, Misdreavus will not be able to do appreciable damage to any phazer, and will be left out to dry if confusion does not take effect while the opponent uses either Roar or Whirlwind. </p>

<p>Misdreavus is not a naturally defensive Pokemon, and it will struggle to trap and kill any Pokemon that can 2HKO it. For example, Marowak will do a minimum of 79% damage with Earthquake, and unboosted Rhydon will consistently do around 55%, which will almost always be a 2HKO unless Misdreavus can use Pain Split. Belly Drum Snorlax is also notable for its ability to KO Misdreavus with Earthquake after a Belly Drum. However, using countering strategy does have its risks, as Misdreavus can try and Protect twice (after Perish Song), giving the opponent only a 50% chance of KOing.</p>

<p>Misdreavus must be wary in general of trapping Pokemon that have boosting moves, such as Swords Dance or Curse, because if the opposing Pokemon boosts and Misdreavus switches on the last count of Perish Song, the incoming Pokemon will almost always be heavily damaged. Again, Swords Dance Marowak is especially dangerous in this regard. Pokemon with Explosion can execute a similar strategy, waiting till (until) the last turn of the Perish count to do massive damage: you will normally have to either leave Misdreavus in to die from the Perish count or switch it out and sacrifice another Pokemon to Explosion. Pairing Misdreavus with a Rock- or Steel-type, such as Tyranitar or Skarmory, can help negate the damage from Explosion, but be warned that any switch-in not named Gengar will take heavy damage regardless of its typing.</p>

<p>On a final note, Misdreavus detests Spikes and status. With its low HP and susceptibility to powerful physical attacks, Misdreavus wants all the health it can get. Outside of Leftovers and Pain Split, Misdreavus has no real options to restore its rather meager health. As such, setting up Spikes will go a long way in preventing it from working effectively. A poisoned or sleeping Misdreavus can also find itself up a creek without a paddle if it tries switching in on the wrong move.</p>​

[Overview]

<p>In the nearly endless grinding of GSC OU, Misdreavus found a unique role: that of a stallbreaker. With access to both Perish Song and Mean Look, Misdreavus functions as an effective solution to many defensive cores. While it has little in the way of offense and its defensive stats leave much to be desired, it still has the necessary tools to justify its title as one of the premier stallbreakers of the GSC metagame.</p>

[SET]
move 4: Thunder / Confuse Ray / Attract

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is Misdreavus's bread and butter, and the reason that it's used in OU—Perish Trapping is simple and yet dastardly effective. With Perish Song and Mean Look Misdreavus can trap and KO many of GSC's top walls, such as Miltank, Forretress, Skarmory, and Blissey. Using Misdreavus is simple: come in on a wall or sleeping Pokemon with low damage output, trap it with Mean Look, then use Perish Song. Protect for two turns, and then switch out while the opponent dies. In fact, Misdreavus can rinse and repeat this strategy until the opponent's defensive core is thoroughly broken.</p>

<p>The first three moves are all fairly standard, while the last moveslot lets Misdreavus deal with phazers that can prevent it from Perish Trapping. Thunder is great for nailing Skarmory and Suicune, but leaves Misdreavus helpless against Steelix and Rhydon. Attract and Confuse Ray are also viable options, as they can prevent the trapped opponent from phazing or attacking. The difference between the two is that Confuse Ray hits all opponents regardless of gender, but Attract lasts indefinitely. If using Attract in simulator play, it is usually a good idea to change Misdreavus's gender to whichever one the simulator doesn't auto-select in order to maximize Attract's effectiveness.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Hypnosis is another effective option to stop opponents dead in their tracks while Perish Song is in effect. However, it should be noted that in almost all GSC venues, the combination of Perish Song, Mean Look, and a sleep-inducing move is banned for competitive reasons. That being said, Misdreavus still enjoys switching in on Pokemon that have been put to sleep, or have just used Rest. Unless the sleeping Pokemon switches or uses Sleep Talk, Misdreavus will be free to uses Mean Look and Perish Song without fear of taking damage. Paralysis support in particular can be very useful as it will stop the opponent from moving 25% of the time; it will also become even more effective alongside Confuse Ray. However, paralysis support can be difficult to pull off as many Pokemon carry Rest, and Heal Bell support is common as well. Nonetheless, Rest users will be more susceptible to Misdreavus's PerishTrap strategy because they won't be able to attack without Sleep Talk.</p>

<p>Misdreavus is also a counter to Snorlax lacking Earthquake; this ability to stop many Snorlax sets cold is a great asset to any team that chooses to use Misdreavus. Additionally, Misdreavus's Ghost typing allows it to block Rapid Spin, making it an outstanding choice for teams that utilize Spikes. Both Cloyster and Forretress make excellent partners as they both have high Defense and can spread around Spikes for Misdreavus to take advantage of.</p>

<p>In addition, Misdreavus fits well on teams that utilize sweepers that enjoy the removal of opposing walls. Pokemon such as Heracross, Machamp, Alakazam, Snorlax, Raikou, and Vaporeon all enjoy seeing walls such as Blissey and Skarmory gone, depending on their sets. Finally, Misdreavus pairs well with Growth Vaporeon, Machamp, Marowak, and Nidoking, all of whom can counter the common phazers: Tyranitar and Steelix.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Outside of the options listed above, Misdreavus has a few other interesting choices that have specific uses. Pain Split provides a great way to take advantage of Misdreavus's low HP stat, and also buys some needed recovery while Perish Trapping. Destiny Bond is an interesting option for nailing powerful tanks and sweepers that try to KO Misdreavus, and is notable for its ability to counter Snorlax after a Belly Drum or several Curse boosts. Just be wary of using Destiny Bond against the occasional faster threat that can KO Misdreavus before it gets a chance to use it. Destiny Bond will also leave Misdreavus helpless against phazers, so unless your team can handle them effectively, Thunder or Confuse Ray will usually be better options for Misdreavus.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Misdreavus is not a naturally defensive Pokemon, and it will struggle to trap and kill any Pokemon that can 2HKO it. For example, Marowak will do a minimum of 79% damage with Earthquake, and unboosted Rhydon will consistently do around 55%, which will almost always be a 2HKO unless Misdreavus can use Pain Split. Belly Drum Snorlax is also notable for its ability to KO Misdreavus with Earthquake after a Belly Drum. However, countering does have its risks, as Misdreavus can try and Protect twice after Perish Song, giving the opponent only a 50% chance of KOing.</p>

<p>Misdreavus must be wary of trapping Pokemon that have boosting moves, such as Swords Dance or Curse, because if the opposing Pokemon boosts and Misdreavus switches on the last count of Perish Song, the incoming Pokemon will almost always be heavily damaged. Again, Swords Dance Marowak is especially dangerous in this regard. Pokemon with Explosion can execute a similar strategy, waiting until the last turn of the Perish count to do massive damage: you will normally have to either leave Misdreavus in to die from the Perish count or switch it out and sacrifice another Pokemon to Explosion. Pairing Misdreavus with a Rock- or Steel-type, such as Tyranitar or Skarmory, can help negate the damage from Explosion, but be warned that any switch-in not named Gengar will take heavy damage regardless of its typing.</p>

<p>On a final note, Misdreavus detests Spikes and status. With its low HP and susceptibility to powerful physical attacks, Misdreavus wants all the health it can get. Outside of Leftovers and Pain Split, Misdreavus has no real options to restore its rather meager health. As such, setting up Spikes will go a long way in preventing it from working effectively. A poisoned or sleeping Misdreavus can also find itself up a creek without a paddle if it tries switching in on the wrong move.</p>​

GP (2/2)

ugh I love the word dastardly

Lockeness

(e^(i╥))+1=0
Again, as always, great stuff Mafeking. With both GP and QC checks implemented this analysis should be done!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)