move 2: Flare Blitz
move 3: SolarBeam
move 4: Morning Sun
item: Life Orb
ability: Flash Fire
nature: Naive
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike other Sunny Day-based NU Pokemon of the tier, Rapidash is capable of attacking quickly without the need for sun. Additionally, it is one of the few Pokemon that can both set up a speedy Sunny Day and take advantage of it afterwards, which cannot be said of Prankster Pokemon such as Volbeat, Murkrow, and Illumise. Flare Blitz is an excellent STAB move that is further boosted in sun. SolarBeam provides excellent coverage alongside Flare Blitz by dealing huge damage to Rock- and Water-types that try to switch into Rapidash. As Rapidash will be worn down extremely rapidly by damage from entry hazards, Life Orb recoil, and Flare Blitz recoil, using Morning Sun is an excellent way to allow it to recover some of the lost HP.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread allows Rapidash to hit as hard and fast as possible, maximizing the damage output of its attacks. A Hasty nature can be used over a Naive one as it lets Rapidash switch into special attackers such as Vileplume, Amoonguss, and Misdreavus more easily. Heat Rock is a viable alternative item, trading that extra oomph in its attacks for an extended Sunny Day. Lastly, Hypnosis can be used over Morning Sun to cripple a switch in, but its accuracy is a tad shaky, and requires that Rapidash sacrifice any longevity it might have had.</p>

<p>Despite the self-reliant nature of this set, there are several Pokemon that can both assist Rapidash and make use of the support it brings to the table. The first Pokemon that come to mind will likely be fellow Sunny Day sweepers such as Exeggutor and Victreebel, who both appreciate Rapidash's ability to dispatch Steel-types, Lickilicky, and Audino. In exchange, they offer the ability to break through troublesome Pokemon such as Regirock and Thick Fat Miltank, who are never-ending bothers to Rapidash. As Rapidash is hugely vulnerable to priority moves such as Absol's Sucker Punch, Sawk is an excellent choice of teammate, both for dispatching the likes of Absol and for luring in foes such as Misdreavus and Vileplume for Rapidash to switch into. Cryogonal also makes for a solid partner as it can spin away entry hazards, threaten Dragon-types such as Altaria and Shelgon, and lure Fire-type attacks for Rapidash to switch into.</p>

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd go with a Naive nature personally, since it increases the chances of Solarbeam getting 2HKOs and OHKOs at little cost (dealing more damage to SpD Quagsire, Gigalith, Regirock etc); what special attacks is Rapidash switching in on other than the ones its immune to?

Hmm, good set, seconding what erisia says about Naive, no reason to gimp Solarbeam, since it's pretty much the whole point of this set.

Remove the Baton Bass mention from additional comments; Baton Pass is an XD purification move and is illegal with Morning Sun and Hypnosis, since both are egg moves.

i'm sorta hesitant to use naive as a main slash, just as the loss in special bulk, as minute as it is, makes switching into vilepume/amoongus and such a bit more of a chore to do well. but yeah, sorta split on that myself :/

as for the issue of legality, you would be using baton pass in the stead of either morning sun or hypnosis, so that's safe as is.

Nice find; This Rapidash is great! Honestly, it's perfectly fine as a stand-alone Pokemon, it doesn't need to be used with sun. I don't agree with BP on it because 1.) It's weak to all hazards. 2.) Morning Sun is a lot more useful. And 3.) What you BP to will only have 3 turns to abuse the sun unless you use Heat Rock.

I think Hypnosis should be removed from the set and put into AC. Let's face it, the 66% recovery is just too good to pass up, especially since Rapidash will die pretty fast. That and Hypnosis isn't the most reliable move with 60% accuracy..

Also, I agree with the other suggestions that Naive > Jolly. It's not like you're switching into much, and you can always heal with Morning Sun.

ayte, popular demand edits go:
-dropped hypnosis to ac (its not really that great, but thick fat miltank just was so annoying when i laddered with it :P)
-naive for the only nature, it's honestly superior to jolly in most ways when i take off me blinders off
-removed bp's mention. tbh it was really just an "on paper" thing anyway, with morning sun/hypnosis being much more appealing for me personally

so yeah, might edit those solarbeam calcs, cuz calcs are cool 'n stuff

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Played with it a bit. It worked reasonably well, and served needs well as a sun abuser that was actually fast outside of sun (not true for things like victreebel, eggy, and other sun setters like volbeat and mesprit cannot abuse). I really wouldn't mention the fact that it breaks through tang + quagsire though, because sun teams should shred through that core anyway (but you can include it if you're going to write it as a stand-alone pokemon, I suppose?). What I would mention is to carry a partner like a powerful fighting-type, perhaps CB sawk or the like; sawk shreds through some common attempted stops to sun, such as lickilicky and absol's sucker punch, where rapidash can definitely handle stuff like misdreavus (switch in on WoW) and sun-boosted flare blitzes will definitely hurt psychics. Just a thought! also be sure to note sun teammates etc

QC APPROVED (1/3)

well, thanks for the approval and the feedback, i really appreciate it. like i mention, i've run him both as a stand-alone and in the context of a sun team, and both have really achieved pretty solid results. so yeah, i agree that sun teams have little to no trouble dealing with quag+tangela cores, but in non-sun teams, its a pretty respectable feat. so i dunno, should i just avoid the stand-alone aspects, and focus on his role on sun teams to avoid extra clutter?

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
well, thanks for the approval and the feedback, i really appreciate it. like i mention, i've run him both as a stand-alone and in the context of a sun team, and both have really achieved pretty solid results. so yeah, i agree that sun teams have little to no trouble dealing with quag+tangela cores, but in non-sun teams, its a pretty respectable feat. so i dunno, should i just avoid the stand-alone aspects, and focus on his role on sun teams to avoid extra clutter?
i would focus on his role on sun teams - that's where most teams will likely want him, but you definitely can mention that he works well on his own too (and thus note that rapidash can break tang + quag cores). it'd probably go in AC, after mentioning his sun buds. that's how i envision it would be, at least!

[Set SET]
name: Sunny Day
move 1: Sunny Day

[Set Comments SET COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike other Sunny Day-abusing based Pokemon of the tier, Rapidash is capable of being able to attacking quickly without supportive weather conditions. Additionally, he it is one of the few Pokemon that quickly can both set up a speedy Sunny Day and abuse take advantage of it afterwards, which cannot be said of Prankster users such as Volbeat, Murkrow, and Illumise. Flare Blitz provides Rapidash an excellent primary STAB move, which is further improved in the sun. SolarBeam provides excellent coverage with alongside Flare Blitz, hitting by doing huge damage to Rock- and Water-types who that try to switch into Rapidash hard. Since As Rapidash is will be worn down extremely fast rapidly between damage from entry hazards, Life Orb recoil, and Flare Blitz recoil, Morning Sun is an excellent move to allow him it to recover some of the lost HP.</p>
<one para space>
[Additional Comments ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread allows Rapidash to hit as hard and as fast as possible, maximizing the damage output of his its attacks. A Hasty nature can be used over a Naive one to as it lets Rapidash switch into Pokemon like special attackers such as Vileplume, Amoonguss, and Misdreavus more easily. Heat Rock is a viable alternative item, trading that extra oompf in his its attacks for an extended Sunny Day. Lastly, Hypnosis can be used over Morning Sun to cripple a switch-in, but the its accuracy is tad shaky, and doing so sacrifices requires that Rapidash sacrifice any longevity he made it might have had.</p>

<p>Despite the self-reliant nature of this set, there are several Pokemon that can both assist Rapidash and abuse make use of what Rapidash the support it brings to the table. The first thought Pokemon that comes to mind are will likely be fellow Sunny Day abusers sweepers, such as Exeggutor and Victreebell, who both appreciate Rapidash 's ability to dispatch Steel-types, Lickilicky, and Audino. In exchange, they offer the ability to break through troublesome Pokemon such as Thick Fat Miltank and Regiwho, who are never-ending bothers for to Rapidash. Due to a large vulnerability As Rapidash is hugely vulnerable to priority moves like such as Absol 's Sucker Punch, Pokemon like Sawk makes an excellent choices, both in for dispatching the likes of Absol and the like and in his ability to lure for luring in foes like such as Misdreavus and Vileplume for Rapidash to switch into. Cryogonal also makes for a solid partner, spinning as it can spin away entry hazards, threatening Pokemon like Dragon-types such as Altaria and Shelgon, and luring lure in Fire-type attacks for Rapidash to switch into.</p>
  • for future reference, using he/she to refer to Pokemon (instead of "it") is technically alright, but in this case, Rapidash already has an onsite analysis, so stick with the pronouns chosen there
  • be sure not to use "like" when giving examples - such as, including namely, especially, in particular etc are fine
  • don't use "abuse" where you just mean "take advantage of"; "abuse" has connotations of "misuse"

other than that, well done, this was pretty thorough without being overly wordy imo :)

gp approved 1/2

well, me for most inconsistent writer ever, geez. well, thanks for putting up with that nonsense sirndpt, and once more for the check. 1+ and i chuck deuces

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
name: Sunny Day
move 1: Sunny Day

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike other Sunny Day (Hyphen)based NU Pokemon of the tier, Rapidash is capable of attacking quickly without supportive weather conditions the need for sun. Additionally, it is one of the few Pokemon that can both set up a speedy Sunny Day and take advantage of it afterwards, which cannot be said of Prankster users Pokemon such as Volbeat, Murkrow, and Illumise. Flare Blitz provides Rapidash is an excellent primary STAB move,(Remove Comma) which that is further improved boosted in the sun. SolarBeam provides excellent coverage alongsideFlare Blitz by doing dealing huge damage to Rock- and Water-types that try to switch into Rapidash. As Rapidash will be worn down extremely rapidly between by damage from entry hazards, Life Orb recoil, and Flare Blitz recoil, using Morning Sun is an excellent move way to allow it to recover some of the lost HP.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The given EV spread allows Rapidash to hit as hard and fast as possible, maximizing the damage output of its attacks. A Hasty nature can be used over a Naive one as it lets Rapidash switch into special attackers such as Vileplume, Amoonguss, and Misdreavus more easily. (Be careful, you missed the "such as" from sirn's check) Heat Rock is a viable alternative item, trading that extra oompf oomph in its attacks for an extended Sunny Day. Lastly, Hypnosis can be used over Morning Sun to cripple a switch-in,(Remove Hyphen) but its accuracy is a tad shaky, and requires that Rapidash sacrifice any longevity it might have had.</p>

<p>Despite the self-reliant nature of this set, there are several Pokemon that can both assist Rapidash and make use of the support it brings to the table. The first Pokemon that come to mind will likely be fellow Sunny Day sweepers,(Remove Comma) such as Exeggutor and Victreebel, who both appreciate Rapidash's ability to dispatch Steel-types, Lickilicky, and Audino. In exchange, they offer the ability to break through troublesome Pokemon such as Thick Fat Miltank and Regirock Regirock and Thick Fat Miltank, who are never-ending bothers to Rapidash. As Rapidash is hugely vulnerable to priority moves such as Absol's Sucker Punch, Sawk makes is an excellent choice of teammate, both for dispatching the likes of Absol and for luring in foes such as Misdreavus and Vileplume for Rapidash to switch into. Cryogonal also makes for a solid partner as it can spin away entry hazards, threaten Dragon-types such as Altaria and Shelgon, and lure Fire-type attacks for Rapidash to switch into.</p>

GP Approved 2/2

well, now i can safely say i know how to spell oomph, that might've just made my day. anywho, thanks for the check, and this is now gucci.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)