Great Defensive Combos

Why use Lanturn over Rotom-W, who lacks the Ground weakness entirely? Lanturn has Scald, Surf, and Ice Beam over it, but that's all I can think of.

Edit 1
Answering questions better

@tentafool
Skarmory is should always have Whirlwind/Roar to scare off Excadrill etc.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Roost
Spikes
Whirlwind
Brave Bird

Impish
252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Sets up spikes and physical tank, but can take some weaker specially attacks, sometimes carries Shed Shell when Magnezones get annoying

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Heal Bell
Scald/Surf
Confuse Ray
Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Attract

Calm
Volt Absorb
40HP/216Def/252SpD

Cleric, its moves depends on the entry hazards and the members of my team. Evs mean i survive 5 seismic tosses and max defenses. Can Rotom-W do that.

@IcyMan28
Lanturn is slightly bulkier on both sides and it has Heal Bell and Volt Absorb. You are right about Rotom-W being type-wise better, but certain threats are stopped by Volt Absorb, rather than a neutrality, and immunities to ground type attacks are more abundant than immunities to electrics

Amoongus and Slowro make an absolutely amazing defensive core. They cover each others weaknesses perfectly except for flying, dark and ghost. Amoongus runs specially defensive and Slowbro runs physical defense. Amoongus can take shadowballs all day and recover off damage from regenerator, giga drain and leftovers while slowbro can take Brave birds remarkably. THey both have regenerater so they can easily switch between each other absorbing resisted hits while the toxic that either one can easily set up chips away at a foes health. Amoongus can clear smog away boosts when an opponent tries to use their defensive nature as set up fodder. Unfortunatley Yanmega kinda screws them over but I normally use them in OU with Heatram to form an absolutely AMAZING fire, water, grass as well as a less common but still great poison, psychic and steel core
i would like to say that i have been trying this core out recently (IN DW OU OF COURSE) and it has been astounding at first it was without heatran and even then they functioned well against most threats

In UU snorlax(with thick fat) combined with any Pokemon that resists fighting type moves are good.Snorlax+Celebi,snorlax+goldbat,snorlax+sigilyph are few combos i use.
Goldbat is an amazing Pokemon with evolite ,Toxic+superfang+bravebird+roost certainly worth trying

Celetran was always hyped 4th gen.

You also have double Intimidate, usually in the form of bulky Gyara+Hitmontop, though Salamence can take the slot for either.

tangrowth and slowbro make a pretty decent defensive core with regeneration as well. tangrowth doesn't resist some of the things slowbro is weak to (dark namely) but its insane defense lets it take crunches from ttar and threaten with power whip regardless..

common weakness to bug type attacks do hurt them though. (though tangrowth hardly takes much from bug physicals and can easily just recover them through synthesis/leech seed.

Edit 1
Answering questions better

@tentafool
Skarmory is should always have Whirlwind/Roar to scare off Excadrill etc.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Roost
Spikes
Whirlwind
Brave Bird

Impish
252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Sets up spikes and physical tank, but can take some weaker specially attacks, sometimes carries Shed Shell when Magnezones get annoying

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Heal Bell
Scald/Surf
Confuse Ray
Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Attract

Calm
Volt Absorb
40HP/216Def/252SpD

Cleric, its moves depends on the entry hazards and the members of my team. Evs mean i survive 5 seismic tosses and max defenses. Can Rotom-W do that.

@IcyMan28
Lanturn is slightly bulkier on both sides and it has Heal Bell and Volt Absorb. You are right about Rotom-W being type-wise better, but certain threats are stopped by Volt Absorb, rather than a neutrality, and immunities to ground type attacks are more abundant than immunities to electrics
you're right, I forgot about the whirlwind/roar :)

Do you think a
Lanturn/Skarmory
defensive combo would work

Lanturn's weaknesses
Grass - Skarmory 4x resist
Ground - Skarmory immune

Skarmory's weaknesses
Electric - Lanturn heals
Fire - Lanturn 2x resist

Lanturn is good on the special side, whilst Skarmory is obviously physically defensive.
Rotom-C and Heatran with earth power?

Rotom-C and Heatran with earth power?
No defensive combo is invincible.

SkarmBliss is ruined by Infernape, but its still widely used.
Ferrocent can also be hurt by Infernape.

Rotom-C isn't seen very often in OU, and good switching or pivots can easily break it. A specially defensive grass type can quite easily wall it (I use Roserade)

Heatran isn't too hard to stop, a Surf on the switch, and there are plenty of pokemon who can hurt it if Lanturn can't catch it on the switch.

Every defensive and offensive combos have weaknesses, its how the player plays it with its team mates to counter it.

Biggest troubles for the SkarmBliss are mix sweepers such as Infernape (Overheat - Close Combat).

I love Cruel + Tangrowth, good sinergy, very good in a sun team (if Cruel runs HP Fire can easily 2HKO Ferrothorn and Forretress)

Hate to say...
but,Theres a thread on this already
We all know about the "Core crisis", but getting some other great defensive cores is always great :) and
Biggest troubles for the SkarmBliss are mix sweepers such as Infernape (Overheat - Close Combat).

I love Cruel + Tangrowth, good sinergy, very good in a sun team (if Cruel runs HP Fire can easily 2HKO Ferrothorn and Forretress)
U need da best set for this?:

Primeape's (Infernape) (M) @ Life Orb Trait: Blaze
EVs: 152 Atk / 152 SAtk / 204 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast
- Vacuum Wave
- ThunderPunch

282 atk and sAtk is awesome, and with life orb and strong moves, this is a beast! It can stay in for a while, and if he predicts ur overheat and goes in to blissey, ur dead. Got to switch so u again can deal some serious damamge. CC hits blissey really hard, KO's as u might a predicted. Fire blast takes on all skarmory's, except for the specially defensive one, but a fire blast and a cc is enough to KO.

252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe + Overheat / CC / Stone Edge / U-Turn is probably superior to that set. Skarmory and Tangrowth cannot take an Overheat in any case, negating the need for SpA EVs, while Thunderpunch is almost useless on Infernape that lack Iron Fist. Sure it covers Tentacruel, but Stone Edge lets you hit Gyara, Mence, Dragonite, Volcarona, etc. Just U-Turn out of Tentacruel.

252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe + Overheat / CC / Stone Edge / U-Turn is probably superior to that set. Skarmory and Tangrowth cannot take an Overheat in any case, negating the need for SpA EVs, while Thunderpunch is almost useless on Infernape that lack Iron Fist. Sure it covers Tentacruel, but Stone Edge lets you hit Gyara, Mence, Dragonite, Volcarona, etc. Just U-Turn out of Tentacruel.
+1 Icyman.

Also, not running max speed on pokemon like Infernape is kind of bad.
You just lost the speed tie to the musketeers

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Same thing as I'm posting in the other topics...would like for someone to volunteer to go through this thread and send me a pretty updated post for me to update the OP with and hopefully lead this towards an article.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'd love to help with the article sometime, and in the meantime I have a core to contribute.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold nature
-Wish
-Protect
-Scald
-Toxic / Ice Beam

Ferrothorn is moving because I ripped the set from somebody else's post...
Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpDef
Sassy nature
-Spikes / Stealth Rock / Gyro Ball
-Leech Seed
-Thunder Wave
-Power Whip / Gyro Ball

A self-sustaining defensive core I've used in OU to great success. Ferrothorn can hand off Leech Seed to Vaporeon, while Vaporeon can pass wishes to Ferrothorn. In this way, not only do they both take hits, but they keep each other alive. This is best paired with a nice Fighting resist or Ghost Pokemon to take Fighting attacks. The Vaporeon is standard, but the Ferrothorn has to be Sassy and Leech Seed must be used. I actually ran Ferrothorn without hazards since a Heatran used them on this team, but you can always use Spikes or SR.

Nobody rolls Salamence + Jirachi anymore?

Not that defensive since Salamence kind of depends on Jirachi's Wish, but still a solid combination.

Also... not being completely ruined by Taunt and having some offensive presence is always a plus.

Nobody rolls Salamence + Jirachi anymore?

Not that defensive since Salamence kind of depends on Jirachi's Wish, but still a solid combination.

Also... not being completely ruined by Taunt and having some offensive presence is always a plus.
I run it, but since I use Salamence as a dancer with a -Sp.D nature I don't think it can be called a defensive combination. They certainly synergise perfectly, though.

Lanturn is a pretty good Pokemon in this metagame, able to switch into Volt Switch (Rotom-W, Jolteon, etc), Heatran, Jellicent, Jirachi, Politoed, Skarmory, Tentacruel, Starmie, Tornadus, and Vaporeon. However, I wouldn't use it like you use Skarmory. It's not very good at shrugging off neutral hits. Stuff like Gengar's Shadow Ball is a 3HKO, and that would be fine but Lanturn doesn't have instant recovery. As such, you need Wish support for it to work properly. I like using Lanturn for support rather than tanking a bunch of hits. Heal Bell + Volt Switch is awesome considering how most teams have at least 1 status move. The Choice Specs set also works pretty well, although it has problems with both Ferrothorn and Gastrodon so either spam Volt Switch or predict a switch and nail Gastro with HP Grass.

Heal Bell + Volt Absorb make up for the loss of Levitate for certain teams. Especially those that are incredibly vulnerable to that damn Rotom-W.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)