My last Gen4

hello guys. ive never really gotten into the 5th generation metagame and ive been playing gen4 for years. this is the last team ive made for gen4 and likely the last team i will ever make for gen4, so here it goes

Heatran (F) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SpAtk/4 SpDef
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Grass
- Stealth Rock

I lead of with a heatran as he's one dangerous pokemon and great at setting up or fighting off the bat. a valuable fire immunity protects scizor and jirachi and fire stab often comes back midgame to hurt the foe. earth power gives me something for other heatrans and magnezones. hidden power grass is a sneaky way for me to cripple any swampert who thinks to beat me, then using shuca berry i can take most earthquakes. theres probably a better lead than this, but heatran works decently with other pokes on the team, luring in ground and fighting moves for gyarados.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/252 Spd/4 SpDef
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt

sub cm jirachi....ridiculously efficient and able to find opportunities to set up. with a combination of substitute and calm mind, jirachi is able to sub up and set up on walls and weak special attackers. STAB psychic deals a ton of damage and thunderbolt gives me coverage against water types like gyarados and starmie. one of the original core members, jirachi was the start of the team and the initial idea to base the team on.

Gyarados (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/72 Atk/96 Def/184 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk,-SpAtk)
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt
- Waterfall

the closest thing i have to a physical wall, gyarados easily sets up on nearly any physical attacker or wall. taunt makes the setup easier, and he has decent synergy with jirachi being immune to ground and resisting fire. i really hope i dont have to explain what dragon dance does. waterfall and bounce are obvious stabs and are only resisted by empoleon, a rare sight in any case. gyarados works nicely with jirachi, stopping physical attackers who threaten rachi (like infernape) while jirachi takes down special attackers who hurt gyarados (like starmie). gyarados also helps snorlax with the same thing.

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk,-SpAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Quick Attack
- Superpower
- U-turn

choice band scizor hurts. period. he's my revenge killer to defeat weakened foes and uturn gives me the ability to scout and send in the sweeper suited for the job. bullet punch is the main STAB, but quick attack lets scizor revenge kill dangerous foes like gyarados and zapdos who resist steel. superpower prediction takes down incoming heatrans or magnezones, although a mispredict puts me in a worse situation. superpower tends to be my least used move as well, so i may replace it. scizor's revenge killingness and uturn scoutingness gave him the spot on the team, and he works nicely with gyarados.

Snorlax (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 188 HP/104 Def/216 SpDef
Careful nature (+SpDef,-SpAtk)
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Fire Punch
- Rest

the sturdy special tank. pretty self explanatory, using a combination of curse and rest, snorlax can decimate stall based teams and special based teams. body slam is the main attack, and fire punch over earthquake lets me hit levitating ghosts. while heatran resists the combo, it can't hurt snorlax with thick fat anyways. snorlax works with jirachi as a combo of special tanking madness, capitalizing on the weakened physical attackers that took out the other and giving hell to special attackers.

Azelf @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk/252 Spd/252 SpAtk
Naive nature (+Spd,-SpDef)
- Explosion
- Flamethrower
- Grass Knot
- Psychic

to be honest, i dont remember why i put an azelf on the team. however, nonlead azelf is completely unheard of and rips giant holes in the opponent teams. azelf's immunity to ground may have been a factor, or resistance to fighting. probably one of the easier team members to replace (he doesnt seem to fit in with the bulk of the rest), azelf still provides a valuable offensive punch. so yeah, like i said, not sure why azelf is here.

thanks for reading this post and for your (hopefully constructive) criticism! if suggested, i can replace basically any pokemon on the team to try out how it works.

Oh come on real comments someone? Mmkay. I haven't played gen 4 for a couple of months but since this isn't getting any attention...

First and biggest problem is the unnecessary number of Steel types. Heatran, Jirachi and Scizor on the same together is always going to be bad and even though you've covered weaknesses pretty well with Gyara and Snorlax you're going to be massively Heatran weak. Heatran with Toxic for example walls 4 of your team members and completely cripples Gyarados.

Other Gyarados also look really dangerous. You can potentially beat it once with Jirachi, but with a bit of residual damage +1 EQ will go through it and then its gg.

No safe switchins for Tyranitar either...

Finally stuff like offensive CM Cune and Starmie look really dangerous because you have no effective Water resists.

Suggestions are difficult though. A lot of the problems stem from your Azelf, which I guess you don't want to replace. The best solution to the issues you're having seems to be a ChestoRest Kingdra. Doesn't help against Tar but against the other major threats definitely - it also synergises offensively quite nicely with Gyarados, Heatran and Jirachi. Put it in place of Scizor, the stuff Scizor helps against is already checked pretty nicely and really its only going to be compounding weaknesses.

Still a Tyranitar weakness though. I'm going to leave it up to you how to fix it; mainly I'd suggest, since Kingdra covers Heatran effectively, to replace your Snorlax for a Choice Scarf Flygon. Still helps against Electric types (yeah you'll be Zapdos weak but most non-stall teams in DP are), but it patches up all the other weaknesses.

Kay that's it. Give those suggestions a try and see if you like them.

Maybe a rest-stall vappy would help. As I usually pack 2-3 steel, and sometimes even breloom, vappy often helps against things such as heatran and infernape.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)