Bronzong (UU analysis) [GP 0/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus

[Overview]
<p>Bronzong is a Pokemon with very good defensive stats and an excellent typing. Traditionally, UU has always been lacking in Steel-types, and Bronzong is one of a handful that can abuse its fantastic resistances in a defensive role without being crippled by weaknesses. Bronzong's lack of Ground- and Fighting-type weaknesses give it a distinct advantage over rivals such as Empoleon and Registeel, rendering several Pokemon unable to touch it at all. An immunity to Spikes and resistance to Stealth Rock further increase its longevity. A sizeable base 89 Attack stat combined with a STAB Gyro Ball backed by extremely low Speed gives it a lot more offensive presence than Registeel, making it much more difficult for opponents to set up against it.</p>

<p> Despite its obvious strengths, Bronzong's fortitude as a wall is not uncontested in BW's powerful UU Tier. UU is home to many of the game's most powerful non-Uber Fire-types, and Bronzong's sole weakness leaves it (and its team) exposed to the onslaught of offensive behemoths such as Darmanitan, Victini, Chandelure, and Arcanine. Bronzong's lack of recovery outside Rest and Leftovers is also problematic, making it all but inevitable that it will eventually be broken by even nuetral and resisted attacks. Nevertheless, it is unquestionable that Bronzong provides an impressive defensive asset, and qualities that are unique in the metagame; it will surely remain one of the tier's top walls.</p>

[SET]
name: Tank
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Gyro Ball
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Earthquake
item: Leftovers
ability: Levitate
nature: Relaxed
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>Bronzong's bulk allows it to function as an effective and reliable Pokemon to set up Stealth Rock, being able to do so against most of the metagame's threats with relative ease. Gyro Ball is Bronzong's primary offensive move and packs a punch considering Bronzong's decent Attack stat coupled with its drastically slow Speed. It is important to remember to reduce the Speed EVs to zero to maxmize Gyro Ball's power. Toxic allows Bronzong to cripple other bulky tanks such as Deoxys-D and Blastoise, its own immunity to Toxic giving it a distinct advantage in stall wars against these foes. Earthquake hurts the many Fire-types in the underused tier and prevents Bronzong from being set-up bait for the rare Magneton. Thanks to Bronzong's natural bulk and plethora of resistances, it can set up Stealth Rock against many common Pokemon such as Roserade, Flygon, and Weavile.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p> A Sassy Nature can be used with an EV spread of 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD to give Bronzong equal defensive stats, making it a durable mixed wall, however, it is advisable to boost one defensive stat more than the other because Bronzong’s defensive stats aren’t insurmountable and a lack of reliable recovery compounds Bronzong’s weakness to strong neutral STAB attacks. Bronzong can use Heatproof over Levitate; granting it an neutrality to Fire-type moves. This can be useful in some circumstances but generally the immunity to Spikes and Earthquake granted by Levitate is more useful.</p>

[SET]
name: Dual Screens
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Gyro Ball
move 4: Earthquake / Hypnosis
item: Light Clay

[Set Comments]
<p>This set takes advantage of Bronzong's great bulk and defensive typing to reliably set up both Reflect and Light Screen and support a teammate's sweep. Reflect and Light Screen stop attacks from scratching Bronzong’s hard, metal surface, and Bronzong has the bulk to set up both of them. Gyro Ball is the strongest and most reliable move it has, and it severely hurts fast and frail threats that can't really touch Bronzong after the appropriate screen is up. Considering the three moves above, you would think that Fire- and Electric-types love to come in and attempt to KO Bronzong with repeated attacks, while at the same time stalling the screens' turns. To stop this from happening, Bronzong has Earthquake to hit them for super effective damage, most notably; Victini, Raikou, Darmanitan, and Arcanine.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p> Full EV investment in both HP and Defense with a Relaxed Nature gives Bronzong good bulk and the ability to weather all kinds of physical attacks, whilst it’s Special Defense (which is still high without investment) is respectable enough to take neutral and resisted hits well. Light Clay is the mandatory item because, with it, the screens last eight turns instead of five; the extra three turns can be the difference between a successful and an unsuccessful setup. Hypnosis is very unreliable due to its 60% accuracy but, if it hits, it can shut down an opponent's Pokemon, thus providing Bronzong with one more turn to set up.</p>

<p>As usual Bronzong’s Speed IV should always be lowered to 0 with a –Speed Nature to ensure that Gyro Ball hit as hard as possible. While Bronzong performs its task of setting up screens well, its lack of reliable recovery means Bronzong will often find itself taking too much damage to be able to repeat the process over and over again. To solve this, pairing Bronzong with a Wish passer can prove to be invaluable; bulky Togekiss makes for a good teammates as it can switch in on Fire-type attacks thanks to it’s good Special Defense, and attracts Rock- and Ice-type attacks for Bronzong to switch into. Any sweeper loves to take half damage from the opponent's attacks while setting up but the frailer ones benefit the most from the screens. Azelf and Raikou are some examples of sweepers that can be deadly after one turn of setup and, taking into account that the appropriate screen can get them that one extra turn, it usually means game over for your opponent.</p>

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psyshock / Psychic
move 3: Grass Knot
move 4: Hidden power Ground / Protect
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p> Bronzong can run a Calm Mind set effectively despite it not being its primary and most common set. Thanks to its excellent bulk Bronzong can easily switch in on common threats and start boosting to increase its good Special Defense and patch up its below average Special Attack. Psyshock hits opposing Calm Minders such as Mismagius and Raikou who try and set up alongside Bronzong thanks to their good Special Defense and Speed stats. However, Psychic hits harder than Psyshock overall and does more damage to physical walls. At +1, Grass Knot OHKOs; Rhyperior, Swampert, Kabutops and Omastar, as well as hurting bulky waters and Claydol. Hidden Power Ground hits the plethora of Fire-types in UU as well as Nidoking and Empoleon for good damage. Finally, Protect lets Bronzong scout a Choiced move as well as recover a little HP thanks to Leftovers.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>Pokemon with Flash Fire can take advantage of Bronzong’s Fire-type weakness by coming in and grabbing a boost from any Pokemon trying to fry the iron bell. Kingdra too, can take Fire attacks well thanks to its 4x resistance, but physical and mixed sets must be wary of burns. 252 HP EVs increases Bronzong’s overall bulk and max Defense investment with a Defense boosting nature help Bronzong take hits from strong physical attackers such as Heracross and Kingdra. Unorthodox Hidden Powers can be used to deal with more specific threats. For example, Rock takes down Yanmega as well as hitting Rotom-H and Zapdos harder than Psyshock and Ice can be used to obliterate Flygon and Honchkrow.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Unlike it's fellow Steel-type Registeel, Bronzong has a movepool rich in both support and offensive options. Bronzong can set up Rain Dance, usually more than once due to its incredible bulk, thus paving the way for Swift Swim sweepers to sweep. Rain Dance also benefits Bronzong, as it temporarily weakens Bronzong's one weakness to Fire-type moves. A Choice Band set consisting of Gyro Ball, Zen Headbutt, Earthquake, Trick is definitely usable and has the potential to nab KOs on faster more fragile Pokemon such as Weavile and Roserade as well as crippling a wall or special attacker with Choice Band. There are quite a lot of nasty items to be Tricked onto your opponent's Pokemon, such as Lagging Tail or Toxic Orb, that will infuriate your opponents to no end. Although a gimmick, Skill Swap allows Bronzong to ruin Magnetic Rise Magneton's fun.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Bronzong's job the majority of the time is to set up Stealth Rock and support the team, so Pokemon that can prevent it from doing so are Bronzong's biggest counters. Fire-type Pokemon such as Victini, Arcanine and Houndoom are generally the biggest threats to Bronzong as, even with its good bulk, it isn’t going to enjoy taking a V-create or Fire Blast to the face. Xatu can reflect entry hazards or status thrown out by Bronzong although it cannot do much back apart from wearing down Bronzong with a combination of Night Shade and Roost. Mew and Deoxys-D can taunt Bronzong as well as tanking its attacks with relative ease. Mew can then proceed to set up Nasty plot, and either sweep or Baton Pass the boost. Deoxys-D loves setting up Stealth Rock and Spikes whilst Bronzong is forced to switch or stay in and do little damage. Although quite rare, Magnet Rise Magneton can easily shut down Bronzong and set up countless Charge Beams, provided it does not switch into Earthquake. Without Toxic, Bronzong has a hard time with bulky Water-types who can tank all its hits nicely and eventually burn Bronzing with Scald.</p>

This has already passed QC, so it is ready for grammar checks. I'll update the prefix, send a PM to Komodo and ask him to put it in the queue.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
geh... I started checking this but stopped when I realized I was doing way too much work.

[Overview]
<p>Bronzong is a Pokemon with very good defensive stats and an excellent typing. Traditionally, UU has always been lacking in Steel-types, and Bronzong is one of a handful that can abuse its fantastic resistances in a defensive role without being crippled by weaknesses. Bronzong's lack of Ground- and Fighting-type weaknesses give it a distinct advantage over rivals such as Empoleon and Registeel, rendering several Pokemon unable to touch it at all. An immunity to Spikes and resistance to Stealth Rock further increase its longevity. A sizeable base 89 Attack stat combined with a STAB Gyro Ball backed by extremely low Speed gives it a lot more offensive presence than Registeel, making it much more difficult for opponents to set up against it. These traits make it a great mixed wall with tons of resistances and only one weakness (thanks to Levitate and Heatproof removing one of them each). With the recent tiering changes moving this beast into the UU tier; it has only became more effective as a wall and can wall a huge portion of the metagame thanks to its great typing and movepool. Despite its offensive stats not being 'all that', Bronzong's STAB attacks hit a respectable portion of the metagame such as Heracross and Roserade for super effective damage, allowing it to switch to the offensive if needs be.</p>

<p>Despite all the advantages this Pokemon brings to the table, Bronzong lacks a reliable recovery move and, thanks to the new sleep mechanics, Rest is no longer a viable option. With all that said, Bronzong is still a Pokemon that is; tough to defeat, easy to fit on one's team, and will most likely remain one of the more commonly seen walls in the UU metagame Despite its obvious strengths, Bronzong's fortitude as a wall is not uncontested in BW's powerful UU Tier. UU is home to many of the game's most powerful non-Uber Fire-types, and Bronzong's sole weakness leaves it (and its team) exposed to the onslaught of offensive behemoths such as Darmanitan, Victini, Chandelure, and Arcanine. Bronzong's lack of recovery outside Rest and Leftovers is also problematic, making it all but inevitable that it will eventually be broken by even nuetral and resisted attacks. Nevertheless, it is unquestionable that Bronzong provides an impressive defensive asset, and qualities that are unique in the metagame; it will surely remain one of the tier's top walls.</p>

[SET]
name: Tank
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Gyro Ball
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Earthquake

[Set Comments]
<p>Bronzong's bulk allows it to function as an effective and reliable Pokemon to set up Stealth Rock, being able to do so against most of the metagame's threats with relative ease. Gyro Ball is Bronzong's primary offensive move and packs a punch considering Bronzong's decent Attack stat coupled with its drastically slow Speed. It is important to remember to reduce the Speed EVs to zero to maxmize Gyro Ball's power. Toxic allows Bronzong to cripple other bulky tanks such as Deoxys-D and Blastoise, its own immunity to Toxic giving it a distinct advantage in stall wars against these foes. whilst not being able to be Poisoned itself thanks to its typing Earthquake hurts the many Fire-types in the underused tier and prevents Bronzong from being set-up bait for the rare Magneton. Thanks to Bronzong's natural bulk and plethora of resistances, it can set up Stealth Rock against many common Pokemon such as Roserade, Flygon, and Weavile.</p> Bronzong's typing give it important resistances to Rock-, Dragon-, and Normal-type attacks as well as an immunity to Ground-type moves. Crucially, Bronzong cannot be crippled and stalled out by Toxic like most other walls. Toxic wears down other walls not called Bonzong, whilst Earthquake and Gyro Ball have good coverage, taking down offensive threats such as Empoleon, Froslass and Nidoking.

[Additional Comments]
(Space)
<p> Bronzong can use Zen Headbutt to 2HKO and OHKO Heracross and Roserade (the latter with rocks) but is generally outclassed by Gyro Ball which 2HKOs both Pokemon after Stealth Rock damage anyway..A Sassy Nature can be used with an EV spread of 252 HP / 184 Def / SpD to give Bronzong equal defensive stats and making it a durable mixed wall, however, it is advisable to boost one defensive stat more than the other because Bronzong’s defensive stats aren’t insurmountable and a lack of reliable recovery compounds Bronzong’s weakness to strong neutral STAB attacks. Bronzong can use Heatproof over Levitate which grants it an neutrality to Fire-type moves. This can be useful in some circumstances but generally the immunity to Spikes and Earthquake granted by Levitate is more useful.</p>
I almost rewrote the Overview, mostly because the writing was pretty poor-- but I stopped checking when I got annoyed by how sloppy the main analysis was as well. Spaces not opened in the correct places, tags not closed properly (no space between the period and the tag...), and when I came to an unfinished alternative EV Spread (you didn't write in the special defense EVes...) I threw up my hands! Not mention-- wtf are you recommending Zen Headbutt as an alternative move to 2hko 2 specific threats that are 2hko'd by Gyro Ball anyway... Common threats like Ambipom and Bisharp? I can't even remember the last time I saw someone good use either (ambipon is 31 in UU, but isn't even listed in the 1337 stats to give you an idea of how much it actually sucks)!

Relook over this thing. Pay attention to the details, and make sure the content isn't dumb. Call me again after you have done this.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
geh... I started checking this but stopped when I realized I was doing way too much work.

I almost rewrote the Overview, mostly because the writing was pretty poor-- but I stopped checking when I got annoyed by how sloppy the main analysis was as well. Spaces not opened in the correct places, tags not closed properly (no space between the period and the tag...), and when I came to an unfinished alternative EV Spread (you didn't write in the special defense EVes...) I threw up my hands! Not mention-- wtf are you recommending Zen Headbutt as an alternative move to 2hko 2 specific threats that are 2hko'd by Gyro Ball anyway... Common threats like Ambipom and Bisharp? I can't even remember the last time I saw someone good use either (ambipon is 31 in UU, but isn't even listed in the 1337 stats to give you an idea of how much it actually sucks)!

Relook over this thing. Pay attention to the details, and make sure the content isn't dumb. Call me again after you have done this.

I'm sorry if there were so many mistakes, but I thought I wasn't supposed to change the skeleton too much because it had already by QC approved. When I was took over I did notice several things that I thought were mistakes but was wary of changing them because of how Somalia had already had it approved. I'll get right to it.

EDIT: I also noticed that a lot of things that Somalia put into the Dual Screens set are from the OU analysis page. I'll re-word it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)