move 2: Fire Punch
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Thunderbolt
item: Expert Belt
nature: Naive
evs: 152 Atk / 204 SpA / 152 Spe
ivs: 30 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Unlike most other Jirachi sets, this set focuses on catching your opponent off-guard and dealing heavy damage right off the bat. Thanks to the rise in the usage of Choice Scarf Jirachi, this set can effectively bluff a Choice Scarf and draw in Skarmory, Scizor, Gliscor, most bulky Water-types, Forretress, Ferrothorn, and other common Jirachi switch-ins. With these Pokemon out of the way, it will be easier for a teammate to sweep. Not only can this set break holes for other Pokemon to sweep, but Jirachi can even pull of a sweep of its own due to the great coverage this set provides. Although Iron Head does not provide much coverage itself, it receives STAB and can help chip off some damage to help ensure a KO with another move, not to mention Jirachi can abuse Iron Head's 60% flinch ratethanks to Serene Grace.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are tailored to help this set achieve its goal. 152 Attack EVs are used to score an OHKO on Scizor after Stealth Rock. 152 Speed EVs along with a Naive nature hits 301 Speed, allowing Jirachi to outspeed neutral-natured Gliscor, Lucario, Mamoswine, neutral base 100s, and maximum Speed Rotom. The rest of the EVs are dumped into Special Attack to deal more damage with Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice, the latter ofwhich can score an OHKO on Gliscor. An alternative spread of 12 Atk / 248 SpA / 244 Spe with 30 Speed IVs along with a Rash or Mild Nature and Leftovers can be used to gain enough Speed to deal with neutral-natured Hydreigon. This set can be a more effective lure, as it bluffs the more common specially defensive Jirachi set. Most of the Special Attack from the Expert Belt spread is maintained with maximum Special Attack investment and a Rash nature. Although the Attack drop is noticeable, especially when trying to score OHKOs on Pokemon such as Scizor, Jirachi can seal Scizor's fate with a prior Iron Head flinch or a bit of residual damage. Iron Head can also be used to gain more Leftovers recovery if Jirachi gets the flinch.</p>

<p>Psychic can be used to check Gengar, Breloom, Conkeldurr, and Toxicroak more effectively and score a solid 2HKO on Tentacruel. If Psychic is used over Iron Head, however, Jirachi loses to Tyranitar. If Jirachi is used on a SmashPass team, Energy Ball is suggested over Hidden Power Ice to get past Water / Ground types such as Quagsire and Gastrodon. Lum Berry is the suggested item to shrug off status and continue sweeping, and a spread of 252 Atk / 160 SpA / 96 Spe with a Lonely nature is recommended as well. This spread hits 520 Speed after a Shell Smash, allowing Jirachi to outspeed Choice Scarf Terrakion. Keep in mind that adding Psychic or Energy Ball would mean dropping either Iron Head, which provides flinches, or a coverage move, which can make certain Pokemon harder for this set to deal with.</p>

<p>Heatran is among the top counters to this set, as it can take any hit and retaliate with a super effective STAB attack. Terrakion, Landorus, Infernape, Darmanitan, and others can heavily dent or OHKO Jirachi. If Jirachi is not running Leftovers, it can easily be worn down over time with a combination of entry hazards and residual damage on switching in. To lure in the Water / Ground types that give this set issues, Grass Knot Infernape can be used as a partner. Toxic Spikes users can be used to deal with Water / Ground types as well. Toxic Spikes form a great combination alongside Iron Head as well, as they quickly wear down Pokemon when used together. Aqua Jet users such as Azumarill and Sharpedo can take out Terrakion, Landorus, Infernape, and Darmanitan. Gyarados can take Fire-type attacks from Darmanitan and Infernape, as well as Earthquakes and Close Combats from Landorus and Terrakion, and retaliate with a super effective STAB attack. Any Pokemon that enjoys the removal of Gliscor, Skarmory, and other Pokemon this set lures and takes out are good partners. Terrakion is especially effective, as Jirachi lures in Terrakion's popular checks and counters, such as Gliscor, Slowbro, Scizor, and Skarmory.</p>

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
while i know this could technically be said about any attacker on the game, it might be worth mentioning a Shell Smash Baton Passer as a partner because this set is especially potent as a recipient, possibly the best recipient in all of OU. If you do that, it's worth slashing Energy Ball with HP Ice - it slaughters Rotom-W (who is probably the best offensively minded counter to this set) and all of the Water/Grounds (most notably Quagsire who threatens other smash recipients).

while i know this could technically be said about any attacker on the game, it might be worth mentioning a Shell Smash Baton Passer as a partner because this set is especially potent as a recipient, possibly the best recipient in all of OU. If you do that, it's worth slashing Energy Ball with HP Ice - it slaughters Rotom-W (who is probably the best offensively minded counter to this set) and all of the Water/Grounds (most notably Quagsire who threatens other smash recipients).
Sounds like a cool idea. I have seen sets that are specifically designed to receive Shell Smash with Drain Punch. Although I despise Baton Pass, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Energy Ball is a nice option, especially since Energy Ball 2HKO's Gliscor (assuming Shell Smash).

lefties is probly better for this set so u can bluff spdefensive and more effectively lure gliscor, skarm , etc. competent opps are going to play much more cautiously once they dont see lefties... but tbh this set's niche was more in the excadrill meta, now ur just gonna get spdeftrans switching in that dgf.

and standard shell smash recipient is like iron head / drain punch / thunderbolt / energy ball @ lum if u wana include that in the ac or w/e

k considering that I have been using this for a while, I'll give you my input. You need 220 Speed EVs for this set to be effective. This lets Jirachi outrun Acrobatics Gliscor, Mamoswine, etc. Take the EVs out of Attack. Also, definitely make Leftovers the primary slash on the set and change the name of the Set to Mixrachi or something. Leftovers make it seem like it is just a standard Jirachi, whereas with Expert Belt, people will notice you have no item, thus making it harder for Jirachi to be an effective lure. The coverage Jirachi has means that it usually doesn't need the extra power anyway.

lefties is probly better for this set so u can bluff spdefensive and more effectively lure gliscor, skarm , etc. competent opps are going to play much more cautiously once they dont see lefties... but tbh this set's niche was more in the excadrill meta, now ur just gonna get spdeftrans switching in that dgf.

and standard shell smash recipient is like iron head / drain punch / thunderbolt / energy ball @ lum if u wana include that in the ac or w/e
Lefties sounds like a great idea, as it gives Rachi both recovery and more surprise factor. I'm pretty sure that's the Shell Smash receiver set I was talking about in my response to Lee, I'll mention it.

k considering that I have been using this for a while, I'll give you my input. You need 220 Speed EVs for this set to be effective. This lets Jirachi outrun Acrobatics Gliscor, Mamoswine, etc. Take the EVs out of Attack. Also, definitely make Leftovers the primary slash on the set and change the name of the Set to Mixrachi or something. Leftovers make it seem like it is just a standard Jirachi, whereas with Expert Belt, people will notice you have no item, thus making it harder for Jirachi to be an effective lure. The coverage Jirachi has means that it usually doesn't need the extra power anyway.
Out speeding Mamo and Max Spe Glisc sounds like a good idea. Since they will be geared towards thinking Rachi is running a specially defensive set, they will not expect to be out sped.

88 Atk, 200 SpA, 220 Spe, Naughty gives:
341/283/236/286/212/291

192 Atk, 200 SpA, 116 Spe, Naive gives:
341/284/236/286/212/291

Very minor, but I thought I'd point it out.

This set works best with EVs: 160 Atk / 200 SAtk / 148 Spd, Expert Belt, and +spe nature (naive / hasty). This allows you to outspeed neutral 100s and timid rotom-w, always ohko Scizor with Fire Punch after SR (seriously, why would you use this set without eb when you can't even ohko scizor), and gives you the most power you can get against Skarmory (79-94%).

This set works best with EVs: 160 Atk / 200 SAtk / 148 Spd, Expert Belt, and +spe nature (naive / hasty). This allows you to outspeed neutral 100s and timid rotom-w, always ohko Scizor with Fire Punch after SR (seriously, why would you use this set without eb when you can't even ohko scizor), and gives you the most power you can get against Skarmory (79-94%).
Sounds good, although Lefties (from what I have tested) has worked really well. I tried the set you mentioned, and the results were pretty nice (the power raise especially). Still torn between making Leftovers or EB the main slash.

I believe faking a scarf with Iron Head and Fire Punch using Expert Belt, and the power boost gives Expert Belt the slash nudge.

I believe faking a scarf with Iron Head and Fire Punch using Expert Belt, and the power boost gives Expert Belt the slash nudge.
Yeah, after a little more testing, I put EB as the primary slash. Since Scarf is more popular now then earlier in BW OU, this set can bluff a Scarf set pretty well, although the power boost was the main reason. KOing things like Scizor after Rocks is extremely valuable, as Jirachi does not want to take a CB U-Turn.

This set is really good, I've surprised alot of people by starting with Iron Head then nailing their Scizor switch. As I was playing though I noticed that Tentacruel dead stopped me, I could only nab a 3HKO on him with Thunderbolt, sometimes less. I'd add Psychic] to AC for Tentacruel coverage. Definately not a main slash, but it can get the 2HKO on it, as well as giving better coverage against Breloom, Virizion, Meinshao, Toxicroak and Venasaur.
Also, whereas Iron Head actually can't OHKO Terrakion, Psychic gets it 75% of the time. That means you can take his Close Combat (not banded though) and reliably OHKO back. Just a though. Really good work with this set.

This set is really good, I've surprised alot of people by starting with Iron Head then nailing their Scizor switch. As I was playing though I noticed that Tentacruel dead stopped me, I could only nab a 3HKO on him with Thunderbolt, sometimes less. I'd add Psychic] to AC for Tentacruel coverage. Definately not a main slash, but it can get the 2HKO on it, as well as giving better coverage against Breloom, Virizion, Meinshao, Toxicroak and Venasaur.
Also, whereas Iron Head actually can't OHKO Terrakion, Psychic gets it 75% of the time. That means you can take his Close Combat (not banded though) and reliably OHKO back. Just a though. Really good work with this set.
I guess Psychic could be used to check some threats, but it seems too situational.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
After a CC you ohko anyway, due to the defense drop.

I forgot the Def drop ;-; I think it's somewhat useful, if you don't feel it then don't add it, it's your analysis

Well look at this, Jirachi is probably getting yet ANOTHER set added to its arsenal. Seriously, if Jirachi isn't the single most versitile Pokemon in the entire game, I don't know who is. Not even Mew can pull off the range of things Jirachi can.

Anyway, set seems really solid and I've read an RMT or two about people using sets like this. I know from experience how devestating an unexpected move can be from any Pokemon, let alone this thing.

However, I will mention that Psychic IS still an option, not just for Tentacruel but also for Conkeldurr, who can tank the moves on this set sometimes and beat it with Drain Punch. This is presuming you don't flinch it to death of course, but counting on that is risky with something as dangerous as Conk possibly setting up. Worthy of an AC mention at least, as some people WILL have specific threats they're trying to beat.

Ultimately, the most important thing to remember with this set is that it is HIGHLY customizable thanks to Jirachi's massive move pool. If specific threats are more important to defeat than others for your team, you can run a move to take care of that. I think this would be worth mentioning when you're writing it up, as I think it's one of the biggest draws of this set.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Good set, Thundur - here is my feedback.

Drop Drain Punch and Energy Ball; it's not worth losing to Gliscor / Landorus (probably the biggest selling point of this set). Fire Punch is probably less important, but still significant for denting Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Scizor to be replaced. Drain Punch and Energy Ball was mentioned as a Smash Pass recipient anyways, which is not the main point of this set.

Change EV Spread to 152 Atk / 208 SpA / 148 Spe - it only needs 152 Atk EVs to OHKO Scizor after Rocks.

Make Naive the primary Nature. Jirachi can make use of its physical bulk to tank a CB Close Combat from Terrakion, for instance.

Drop Leftovers and Lum Berry; the EV spread is specifically tailored for an Expert Belt.

Be more specific... what exactly does this set lure-and-kill? It lures in Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Forretress and O-2HKO with Fire Punch. It lures in Skarmory and has a sizable chance (43%) to score a TBolt OHKO after SR. Slowbro is also a 2HKO with TB. HP Ice OHKOs Gliscor and Landorus and 2HKOs Tangrowth.

Explain the significance Iron Head. Although it doesn't offer much coverage other than a super-effective hit on Tyranitar and a few other things, it provides the nifty 60% flinch-rate, which can be handy in scoring a KO on Hippowdon with HP Ice (HP Ice on the switch - Iron Head flinch - HP Ice KO). In a similar fashion, it can help Jirachi seal an HP Ice KO on Haxorus and Hydreigon. It also provides the extra chip damage to KO Scizor with Fire Punch when Rocks are not up, as well as for breaking MultiScale on Dragonite and proceed to OHKO with HP Ice. There are many instances where the chip damage can facilitate sealing KOs, and you should emphasize that.

Drop the mention of Smash Pass recipient option (Drain Punch + Energy Ball + Lum) under AC. Mention that Energy Ball is useful for scoring an OHKO on Quagsire and a 2HKO on Gastrodon that otherwise walls this set. Mention that Drain Punch scores a 2HKO on offensive Air Balloon Heatran after Rocks.

AC mention Psychic to check Gengar, Breloom, Conkeldurr, Toxicroak and to solidly 2HKO Tentacruel. It is also the hardest move it can use against Fire-types not named Heatran, as well as against Water / Ground-types.

Warn readers that utilizing any of these offensive moves would mean losing out on overall coverage or Iron Head flinches granted by the main set.

Provide an alternative spread of 16 Atk / 252 SAtk / 240 Spe; Rash / Mild Nature @ Leftovers. This is pretty much ShakeItUp's set, but with more Speed to check Hydreigon. Mention that with Leftovers, it can bluff as the more common Wish Jirachi, which may actually be more useful as a lure.

Mention that the power lost in Fire Punch can be felt by this alternative spread, but it can still seal those KOs with some help from SR and Iron Head flinch(es). Iron Head flinches also provides free turns for Jirachi to restore some health via Leftovers.

As for Teammates and Counter, provide Teammates that can deal with Quagsire, Gastrodon, and Heatran / Fire-types. For instance, Toxic Spikes support from Tentacruel to poison Quagsire and Gastrodon, which would synergize well with Jirachi's flinch hax. Terrakion, Lucario, Haxorus, and Infernape with Grass Knot provides some great complimentary offense with Jirachi, imo.

@Pocket: Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. All of your suggestions sounded good. I implemented your changes.

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the changes - there's still more, though.

Adding Psychich would mean dropping either Iron Head, which provides flinches, or a coverage move, which can make certain Pokemon harder for this set to deal with
This applies not only to Psychic, but Energy Ball and Drain Punch as well.

208 SpA EVs with EB allows Rachi to OHKO Gliscor 100% of the time
This is misleading, since Jirachi does not need EB to OHKO Gliscor (ShakeItUp's Jirachi with Leftovers also OHKO Gliscor). If you're explaining the EVs explain how Jirachi's Atk EVs enables Jirachi to OHKO Scizor with Fire Punch (with SR). The remaining EVs were simply dumped into SpA to give its special moves the much needed punch. If you were merely explaining how Jirachi OHKOs Gliscor with HP Ice, just state that without including the SpA EVs.

An alternative set of 16 Atk / 252 SAtk / 240 Spe; Rash / Mild Nature @ Leftovers can be used to gain enough speed to deal with Hydreigon without a Choice Scarf. This set can be a more effective lure, as it bluffs the more common specially defensive Jirachi set. Although the attack drop is noticeable,
There's a reason I specified Fire Punch, since ShakeItUp's spread has roughly the same special power as Snunch's EB set. It's really only Jirachi's physical moves that lost its punch, especially Fire Punch. Maybe you should add that this Jirachi still attains that OHKO on Gliscor.

Terrakion, Landorus, Infernape, Darmanitan, etc. can heavily dent Jirachi (if not, OHKO)
Provide a check to these mons, such as Aqua Jet from Sharpedo or Azumarill, Gyarados, etc.

Water-/Ground-types and Rotom-W demolish this set when it doesn't run the Smash Pass variant
Remove this, since you already addressed it.

Pocket

~ Mention that ShakeItUp's spread still preserve most of Jirachi's special offense from EB set.
~ Mention that it still nets an OHKO on HP Ice from Gliscor, since this may not be clear.

Adding Psychich would mean dropping either Iron Head, which provides flinches, or a coverage move, which can make certain Pokemon harder for this set to deal with
Change the part in red to "Adding Psychic, Energy Ball, and / or Drain Punch"

Thunderbolt is great for Water-types (Bar Water-/Ground-types) and Skarmory
Exclude Rotom-W as well, not just Water-/Ground-types. Also mention that Jirachi scores an OHKO on Skarmory after Rocks.

Grass-types can be used to deal with Water-/Ground-types as well as to absorb Ground-type attacks
Also add Rotom-W

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)